Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Dead Nerve posted:

Shooting even sounds pro to me, awesome job!

It was a pretty casual thing, but fun to finally put a score in the books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joethesurly
Mar 10, 2012

Dead Nerve posted:

Never thought I would love throwing a lobster so much. I've been needing that smooth finesse midrange next to my trusty buzzz and it just feels great in the hand.

100% same for me, I tried a friend's lobster and I immediately went to get one for myself. I love that disc so much because it feels like a putter and has that same flip as one, but it has such fantastic glide and can take way more power than you'd expect.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

joethesurly posted:

100% same for me, I tried a friend's lobster and I immediately went to get one for myself. I love that disc so much because it feels like a putter and has that same flip as one, but it has such fantastic glide and can take way more power than you'd expect.

Hmm maybe I should put mine back in the bag. I found a max weight custom died unmarked lobster a couple months ago. I'm just more comfortable with the paradox.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
I bought a gyropalooza box. Why did I do that? I’m not even good at this game. I can’t even throw anything over a 9 speed. Just a complete idiot.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Mcqueen posted:

I bought a gyropalooza box. Why did I do that? I’m not even good at this game. I can’t even throw anything over a 9 speed. Just a complete idiot.

Mine arrived this morning and the contents were excellent and definitely useable for a newer player/noodle arm like myself. Only a couple of high speed discs, and those are understable.

Aperture Priority
May 4, 2009

~~*~~Is Dream~~*~~
:coolfish::3::coolfish:

I purchased a USGDC mystery box from Disc Golf United and it was absolutely packed with good stuff. The one I can’t figure out is a glow disc that’s marked “LFALC 1.1” I figure it’s a Millenium Falcon in Lunar plastic, but I don’t know what’s up with the “1.1” this is my first disc from Millenium so I don’t know how their markings work

Jadus
Sep 11, 2003

Only 16 days since my last round, and I'm feeling withdrawal symptoms. I'm up in Canada where snow has fallen so I'm going to need to consider some ribbons on my discs.

In the meantime I updated the soundproofing on my basket with hockey tape; adds a nice aiming visual as well. Indoor putting practice begins!

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

Muir posted:

Mine arrived this morning and the contents were excellent and definitely useable for a newer player/noodle arm like myself. Only a couple of high speed discs, and those are understable.

Oh hell yeah. Hoping I can trade all the high speed plastic to the folks I play with who are better than me (all of them) for some beat to poo poo old plastic my body craves.

Dig the hockey tape, does it actually work for sound?

Jadus
Sep 11, 2003

Mcqueen posted:

Dig the hockey tape, does it actually work for sound?

Its pretty good yeah - eliminates any noise from the center chain rings when the disc hits only chains, and a direct center hit is muted to a small "thunk" instead of a reverb ringing.

I previously used this pipe insulation, cut in half and taped around the pole. In some cases it was quieter, but there were gaps where the chains still hit the pole, and the thickness made it very difficult to disassemble and take camping or out to a field.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Mcqueen posted:

I covet the Envy that came in that box.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
ENVY GANG

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
If I had to play a round with only one disc, it would be my trusty James Conrad commemorative electron hard Envy. So reliable. So true. A workhorse in every sense of the word.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Threw mine into some grass. Usually get every disc back, but someone kept my Envy. Or it’s still out there but I doubt it.

Aperture Priority
May 4, 2009

~~*~~Is Dream~~*~~

ENVY GANG. ENVY GANG.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
This guys got all the brands! Sockibomb hat, innova bag, OTB shirt, MVP disc drat!

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
That’s sick. I never listened to any pro Disc players before and just happened upon some Conrad what’s in the bag, dude seems chill as hell.

Aperture Priority
May 4, 2009

~~*~~Is Dream~~*~~

Conrad is awesome. OTB Open last year I was following the FPO lead card during the final round and this guy was standing next to me, I looked over and it was JC and his girlfriend. We hung out and talked while we watched the women finish their round. Hella cool guy, quiet and unassuming.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Aperture Priority posted:

ENVY GANG. ENVY GANG.

Envy Gang

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
The kudzu died back due to a recent freeze so I went out to my local course and pulled these discs out of 3 holes. Took me about 30 minutes of looking it was hilarious. "Oh there's one, oh there's one" finally had too much to carry back and left one in a catcher.

The heat, undertaker, and anax have no names/numbers and are premium finds. The tie-dye one is a metal flake pharaoh with no name/number. The destroyer and green roc3 f2 aren't bad either but pretty gross.

The pikachu boss, getaway, f2 savant, reactor, d2, adder, leopard3, and orc all have numbers so I'm dropping those off next week at the lost+found box at a different local course.

Salt Fish fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Nov 28, 2022

joethesurly
Mar 10, 2012

Salt Fish posted:

The kudzu died back due to a recent freeze so I went out to my local course and pulled these discs out of 3 holes....

Great finds! I really appreciate when people hunt up lost discs, since I hate thinking of all that beautiful plastic getting abandoned in the wild. I used to play at a course that was notorious for eating discs, and it was a lot of fun doing the "find the lost discs" mini game after a round.

Hope one of those unmarked disc turns out to be your best drivers!

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Still pulling discs out of the kudzu:

No phone number:
Streamline Jet, interesting one with a very cool stamp, little bit chewed up on the edge
Factory 2nd valkyrie, mint
glow champion teebird, absolutely money find
Nate sexton 2017 USDCG Xcal - thought this might be $$$ but they're $15 on ebay.
Fuzion convict with giant "JBT" written on the bottom

Phone numbers:
Envy electron, pretty rough shape
L64 ballista "retro" whatever that means
Innova production discmania FD

Funny enough between last weeks batch and this weeks batch I had 2 discs belonging to the same guy.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Retro is the cheapest Latitude 64 plastic. Nice grip but poor durability. Same as Dynamic Discs Prime.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
Those discs look so new I’d be hella pissed if I threw a brand new disc off the brink.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
The secret is to use magic erasers on them. Yes, I cleaned strangers discs before giving them back to them (lol).

edit: I got most of these on this hole:

Its about a 12' tall wall of thorns, vines, and some kind of woody shrubs. The wall is maybe 40 feet wide and in the summer you really can't hope to get in there. Even now that its frozen its not easy. The hole is maybe 550' from the pro tee and its way to the left around a corner, so any disc that hyzers early is just gone.

Salt Fish fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Dec 5, 2022

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Gonna make a similar post in a few threads, but since most of the internet is now run by spammers and AI composed SEO optimized google returns, finding ideas for gifts is a loving chore. Let's help our friends and family get us gifts we can get some use out of.

Throw out some ides for gadgets new players don't realize they need etc., bonus points for various price points.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
I think a Udisc account is always a good one. Or maybe a mystery box of they haven't landed on a specific manufacturer.

Placeholder
Sep 24, 2008
A sportsack to maintain good grip, a UV-lamp if they throw glow, a proper towel which you can attach to a loop on your belt/bag, a disc retriever maybe? The extensible pole ones look nice.

I've been thinking of getting this for my friend who usually sticks with the same three discs because the thing looks completely ridiculous: https://infinitediscs.com/Products/Bags---Small/18219/Infinite-Discs-Holster

A copy of their favorite disc mold with a custom print on it would make a very nice and more personal gift.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

The retrievers with the u-shaped metal end are superior to the double hook fwiw.

A random box of discs is always fun. If you got $$$, a practice basket. Seconding the dust/chalk bag, super useful.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Salt Fish sent me some discs, they arrived very quickly. I'll share some picture when I use them.

Dead Nerve
Mar 27, 2007

a different option if you know the disc golfer in your life enjoys watching pro coverage is getting them an annual membership to watch professionals throw frisbees live (or just a nice gift for yourself)

https://www.discgolfnetwork.com/ follows the BIG Disc Golf Pro Tour

https://www.discgolfstream.com/ follows the European Pro Tour

Grandito
Sep 6, 2008
The retrievers with the suction cup ball are surprisingly good. Maybe better for water retrieval than trees though.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
Cool minis are rad. Found several over the year of playing...a cool glass one from AZ nationals being the raddest.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
These chalk bags changed my game, they're so good:

https://www.amazon.com/MVP-Disc-Sports-Accessories-Osmosis/dp/B077TZYMH7

My hands sweat like crazy and I finally found one on the ground and started using it and now I always have them on me. You want the ones that have the little balls in them. You grind the balls together to release more chalk. Look for the reviews of people complaining that they are filled with desiccant to know you're getting the right ones; unless you know that you have to break the chalk bits apart they don't work, but those are the good ones.

edit nevermind the perfect gift is a SlipKnot x Discraft collab disc:
https://twitter.com/DiscraftDG/status/1600582559548772370

Salt Fish fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Dec 7, 2022

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Anyone have good or bad things to say about the different disc golf training apps like Seekr or Pulsea? I just saw a promo for Pulsea on the UDisc holiday gift suggestions list, and I'd previously seen ads for Seekr on Instagram. I like the idea of a more focused and curated program of training videos. I am very much still a beginner (been playing for less than a year, max throw is like 225-240').

Dead Nerve
Mar 27, 2007

Muir posted:

Anyone have good or bad things to say about the different disc golf training apps like Seekr or Pulsea? I just saw a promo for Pulsea on the UDisc holiday gift suggestions list, and I'd previously seen ads for Seekr on Instagram. I like the idea of a more focused and curated program of training videos. I am very much still a beginner (been playing for less than a year, max throw is like 225-240').

I don't have anything to say about those apps you mentioned but

If you're looking for a focused and curated program I'd point you to Scott Stokelys Complete Disc Golfer Online Course. Stokely is a legendary old school player who threw the frisbee the farthest in his time and started teaching people along the way. He seems to have teamed up with some other instructors and put together a solid 6 month program if it fits into your life.

https://scottstokely.net/discgolflesson/completediscgolfer

https://www.discgolflessons.com/ was recently launched by him as a sort of directory of teachers aswell

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
What are people's favorite shots/putts of the year? Mine is from a resurgent Scott Stokely throwing one of the sickest sidearms through a tight gap to seal him winning a big money skins match versus 3 very good young players. He ended up donating all of his skins from that match, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ew1r94urWrI

Edit: I just love the emotion he shows through all of it. The dude knows his days are limited with competing, so for him to show up and deliver the season he's had along with a highlight reel performance like this, after nearly 20 years since his last major touring stint, is incredible.

Blurb3947 fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Dec 8, 2022

joethesurly
Mar 10, 2012

Blurb3947 posted:

What are people's favorite shots/putts of the year? Mine is from a resurgent Scott Stokely throwing one of the sickest sidearms through a tight gap to seal him winning a big money skins match versus 3 very good young players. He ended up donating all of his skins from that match, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ew1r94urWrI

Edit: I just love the emotion he shows through all of it. The dude knows his days are limited with competing, so for him to show up and deliver the season he's had along with a highlight reel performance like this, after nearly 20 years since his last major touring stint, is incredible.

I've been really rooting for Scott, the guy seems really open and earnest, and you can tell he really loves the game.

I think this throw from Matt Orum is just the most insanely laced shot all year, he almost aces this 620 ft hole:

https://youtube.com/shorts/EIaR6JFQZfY?feature=share

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Anybody get anything cool for Xmas? I got a Upper Park Rebel and a cosmic neutron Envy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

NickRoweFillea posted:

Anybody get anything cool for Xmas? I got a Upper Park Rebel and a cosmic neutron Envy

Got a custom tie dyed looking cryztal buzzz. Almost lost it under leaves 3 times already.