Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Porterhaus
Jun 6, 2006

Zero to Gyro

Solarin posted:

The method I used for low levels was damage shields on a max level character. They round up a mass of mobs, the low levels tag the mobs and get full xp when they die from the damage shields. What kind of buffs you have and what class/gear the max level has determines how huge the pulls can be.

We’ve got access to a VT geared ENC and bard who just picked up the AHR neck. Can the bard tank any of these reasonably with Kilva’s and running DS songs? I can’t imagine the enchanter helps us much with the leveling since fire elemental doesn’t give a DS nor can you chain the stuns on TLPs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
The issue will be managing threat. You can use a bard, but the chances that the healer takes hits once they toss out a patch heal are pretty high. Add in risk to your PL character if you use mojo sticks to get your damage in.

Until Omens, the best tank to use is warrior or Paladin. SK doesn’t get pbaoe threat until level 69. Paladins can use level 5 stuns and their AA stun to get massive aggro without blowing their entire mana stack. Warriors have AoE taunt in a pinch. SK can use lower level terrors, but they start around the mid 30s iirc, so it’s quite mana intensive, and their AAs that augment damage shields might start around PoP, but I think they’re a little later.

That said, 1-15 is red wine or Kurns tower, then I liked Unrest to mid-20s. Then Gulf of Gunthak beach area, followed by the first fort until mid/high 30s. Finish up Gunthak at the castle, and go into Nadox for undead trolls to 50. (Bonus to do the priest quest drops at the same time)

I think at 65 cap you’re looking at 37 or so to group with max level characters, 46 if you want to take them to the planes zones, so that path should do fairly well.

I used that path through to level 75, religiously. I could get a character to 50 in about 3-4 hours, mostly limited by respawn times. Throw in revamped splitpaw to 65ish, and then drachnid instances in DoDh, the fastest I got a character to 75 without potions or xp bonuses was about 12 or 13 hours total /played.

Porterhaus
Jun 6, 2006

Zero to Gyro
From some Allakhazam comments it sounds like red wine might have been nerfed. Reports of 2,400pp only to get to level 10.5 now.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Quarterroys posted:

It’s been several years since my last nostalgia tour, and this time I’m looking to play EQ on Steam Deck.

Any recommendations for a solo class that wouldn’t be too high maintenance to manage on handheld?

I did Necro last time, which I’m open to again, but something else would be cool too.

Monk by far an away the best solo class without having to need a poo poo load of raid gear. SK up there too if raid geared.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Porterhaus posted:

We’ve got access to a VT geared ENC and bard who just picked up the AHR neck. Can the bard tank any of these reasonably with Kilva’s and running DS songs? I can’t imagine the enchanter helps us much with the leveling since fire elemental doesn’t give a DS nor can you chain the stuns on TLPs.

You typically play snare and attack slow song to hold aggro. Kilvas is good, but having a druid/mag damage shield to go with it is better. You kind of really need a character than can put out some pbaoe to make it go though.

We always did wine to 10, unrest to 15-18, mistmoore to 28ish (or just unrest) and then solb kobolds till 35ish or so and then it became a non-trad group in BnB/FGs or we did AOE stuff.

This was vanilla/kunark, don't know anything about gunthak harbor and whatnot.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
For DS power leveling in the middle levels, heal over time won’t pull agro like a regular heal would. So usually you toss it on your Ds’ed toon as they pull and reup once they get back to camp and that is sufficient. Potions can be helpful too. My set up of choice for powerleveling especially since DoN is mag/cle. Especially if you’ve picked up any clickies you have regular ds + elemental form ds + clickies + nimbus of frost from daybreak and it’s a pretty devastating DS. I would usually DS power level up to 46 or 50 depending on era, befallen > unrest > ToFS > Dulak’s harbor. Once the character could group with cleric I’d take it to PoI and use ward of retribution and lesson of the devoted to get character to 60 or so then just stick them in one of my groups while farming for the rest of the way. In earlier eras when I didn’t have all the tools, it takes a little longer but fungi tunic + staff + DS is still pretty easy. Later on it gets real simple once your mage has a DS in the 150+ range.

Re: Box trios I was really happy with mag/cle/shaman from pop onward. I had no difficulty accomplishing the various items on my task list, had an easy time finishing BiC on all three. Was always xp capped on my main/raidbox, had an easy time wrapping up my tradeskills. When I added classes later it was generally out of boredom/needing something to do. PoR and TSS probably the least exciting stretch for mage. The pet actually gets to a solid group tank position at this point but no one will care/utilize it. Enc/cle/mag wouldn’t be all that different as the shaman was mostly playing a slower/buffing/sometimes
DPS role in that trio. CoTH is really handy if you’re a boxer. You can stack sunskin (and later sun cloak) on top of mage invis and sneak past a lot of areas. It’s a little klugey, but eye of tallon + cleric paci line + cleric hammer can split pull effectively in a lot of areas, helps to have a macro that has the cleric assist mage then paci.

Curious to see this power overwhelming phase for mages I hear about so much starting in SoF but I expect it’s slightly overhyped. I’m told Shock of many got nerfed from its lofty highs.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
1-25 is amazing in Paludal Caverns then I'd do Velks 25-50 followed by Paw 2.0 (grouped/non DS) to finish up. This is with a Bard/Cleric PLing any class.

Shout outs to Crushbone, Unrest, Mistmore, SolA, Upper Guk, ToFS, Griegs End (this isn't DS PLing), Dualks and Gunthak to change it up.

e - Grouped PL is Monk murder zone riposte zone pulling and camping out.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
If rolling on Vaniki chanters get the charm +10 levels effect and you can duo the kobold camp in velks at like 37 or some hilariously low level by charming a Kobold Champion.

That's the server I'd roll on if I wanted an Ench just be quick with the heals when charm breaks. Enc/Mag/Clr is probably best trio there for group/charmable stuff.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Porterhaus posted:

I think it’s doable with those two characters you just need to do smaller pulls. It’s surprisingly easy to get killed by level 30 skeletons when you pull 80 of them. Pushback and bash stuns also become a problem with enormous trains. You have to find a corner to wedge yourself in because the pushback is massive.

The enchanter has a 10ish point DS and bard songs with stacked instrument mods add a hell of a lot so missing druid/mage DS shouldn’t stop you. Have the bard mess around with looping Amplification to boost the singing based DS, and use a horn to buff warsong DS.

You’ll need to do some trial and error to see which character would make the best tank. Aggro will be an issue for the bard, and interrupts would be too versus mobs in the 30+ range I expect. Enchanter would have a complete lock on aggro with AE tash, stuns and runes but worse damage mitigation. In PoP I think enchanter would have the edge because they get a strong self only rune that can basically fill in for a healer on medium sized pulls.

The mention of fire elemental reminded me that there’s a Fire Ele illusion click in VT for bard and a few other classes that gives a DS equivalent to the level 60 mage buff. Veil of Inferno or something like that.

Also koreban mentioned holgresh mojo sticks, definitely look at those if your lowbie has no proper AE ability to tag with. They’re extremely useful for PLing. There’s also Oil of Fennin Ro that’s vendor buyable in a Sol B dz, but costs like 1k for 4 charges.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Tai posted:

1-25 is amazing in Paludal Caverns then I'd do Velks 25-50 followed by Paw 2.0 (grouped/non DS) to finish up. This is with a Bard/Cleric PLing any class.

Shout outs to Crushbone, Unrest, Mistmore, SolA, Upper Guk, ToFS, Griegs End (this isn't DS PLing), Dualks and Gunthak to change it up.

e - Grouped PL is Monk murder zone riposte zone pulling and camping out.

They nerfed riposte a few different ways so swarming isn’t what it used to be. I think the most impactful change was making riposte check happen after avoidance checks, so whirlwind disc isn’t riposting every single attempted hit anymore. Whirlwind disc on a 70 monk with vish 2HB did like 20% damage to splitpaw mobs in my experience.

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

Tai posted:

Bards are better. Plate tanks that can spam sit and then out of group person just casts and AoE or cycle through mobs to get a 1 dmg melee hit. SK can do it too but longer. Velks is an awesome zone to do this. Cast lessons as mobs get low and camp out while the zone respawns.

Bard has too much trouble with agro, a druid self heals a couple times on the pull and everything is glued to it. But that said there's so many ways to do it, none of them are objectively wrong other than perhaps having a wizard do it.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Solarin posted:

They nerfed riposte a few different ways so swarming isn’t what it used to be. I think the most impactful change was making riposte check happen after avoidance checks, so whirlwind disc isn’t riposting every single attempted hit anymore. Whirlwind disc on a 70 monk with vish 2HB did like 20% damage to splitpaw mobs in my experience.

Well that sucks. I was pondering starting on mangler and using Paw as an AA trampoline. Rip that dream.

Fanelien posted:

Bard has too much trouble with agro, a druid self heals a couple times on the pull and everything is glued to it. But that said there's so many ways to do it, none of them are objectively wrong other than perhaps having a wizard do it.

Bard aggro is insane though. Maybe you had an experience with an awful bard?

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.
With a VT geared bard Druid and Necro I can keep agro on the bard by using HOTs, AE slow, and 2 DS songs (haste and whatever). With the Fire Ele illusion your talking DS in the 130 range. For normal group content this is absolutely insane, Spiders and dogs in Velks just fall over dead with minimal damage and the DOTS dont pull agro (Necro can dump agro anyway)

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Tai posted:

Well that sucks. I was pondering starting on mangler and using Paw as an AA trampoline. Rip that dream.

Bard aggro is insane though. Maybe you had an experience with an awful bard?

paw is still an aa trampoline when youre in your 70s

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Played EQ for the first time in 19 years

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Do yourself a favor and turn off those hideous new models.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
TLP Trip report: I think Secrets of Faydwer has been the most fun I’ve had playing EQ. It’s probably felt like the deepest expansion since Planes of Power. As someone who has mained a gnome mage since forever back even in live classic it’s very satisfying to play an expansion that caters p much to that combo. Brownie villages, gnome cannons, clockwork giant fortress, steam punk mech suits; all the flavor and character in the zones adds a lot.

I dont even mind the time gating aspect to the raid zones and the klugey complexity to the gearing. Gearing has some more interesting choices. The faction grind seems tedious at first but I kind of like having things to do. The xpacs where everything is pretty much available to you after day 3 make for a plodding three month stretch of alt work and farming. I like that approaching almost a month in that guilds are just now wrapping up the end raid zone and I’m still not done with my to do list on my main. Some of that is due to how the launch landed in the middle of holiday season, but still.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

RCarr posted:

Do yourself a favor and turn off those hideous new models.

Don't let him peer pressure you, enjoy seeing more than the same five textures as armor.

(I mean, they are hideous, but at least the armor shows)

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Shorties and fatties are better in their original models. Luclin models gently caress them up.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

All the Luclin models look horrible imo. They look like plastic coated play-dough or something. I can’t handle looking at any of them. They just clash with the aesthetic of the game so bad.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

RCarr posted:

All the Luclin models look horrible imo. They look like plastic coated play-dough or something. I can’t handle looking at any of them. They just clash with the aesthetic of the game so bad.

To be fair Luclin's terrain and non-character art was different as well. It meshes better in that setting.

I agree there's an oddness when you go back to anything in the older expansions.
I think this is part of why people hate New Freeport so much.

This is also why Shadowknights are the best class because you can go back and enjoy Old Freeport.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

I feel like luclin new models was the real uncanny valley of early 2000s 3d graphics.

Porterhaus
Jun 6, 2006

Zero to Gyro
We made it to PoP release eve here on Yelinak. Here's how the gear is looking after taking all of Velious off:

Guild's plan for launch tomorrow is to PoJ trial -> PoS to flag for BoT -> XP in BoT until the evening and then hit some tier 1/tier 2 raid targets once we have some levels and spells under our belts.

Feel free to share any tips you all have like which charm pets to target in the various PoP zones while leveling, DKP priorities (people mentioned Serpent of Vindication, Tactician's Shield for the aug slot, Earring of Celestial Energy, and Wand of the Vortex since I never got a Wristband of Secrets), etc. This list seems mostly solid: https://www.eqprogression.com/enchanter-best-in-slot-bis-planes-of-power-gear-guide/ and I'll try to grab molds for both flavors of pant clickies (haste and tranquility).

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Gear looks good. For spells one thing to think about is how you'll deal with charm pets breaking in PoP.

Standard for other expansions is to fire off an AE stun, retash and charm.

But....in PoP you have a gap in the AE stun line until LDoN I think. I remember having to use 'Word of Morell' the level 65 AE Mez instead which was less effective, and would of course potentially mez any mob your fighting and stop everyone else's pet attacking it.

My memories are pre-nerf for AE stun so your milage may vary !

For surviving charm breaks I'd always have a regular rune on me, and the AA rune available as in instant refresh

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

If anyone has any Monk recommendations as far as must have DKP stuff or other PoP related things I’d be interested as well!

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Node posted:

Shorties and fatties are better in their original models. Luclin models gently caress them up.

It depends whether you want your Iksar to look like lizards or ninja turtles.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

RCarr posted:

If anyone has any Monk recommendations as far as must have DKP stuff or other PoP related things I’d be interested as well!

iirc the big rare thing for monk is in Time, theres a pouch or something that summons throwing stars, the drop itself looks unassuming but the stars you summon with it have insane stats

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

PoP launch as enchanter is all about the desperate rush to get your level 64 charm. The spell system is pretty annoying with random chance determining what you get for each parchment hand in. Hopefully your guild does some funneling of parchments to get enchanters their charm for efficient XPing.

Also be ready to read and re-read flagging guides to stay on track with the long and convoluted process. It can be a mess to try and sort through what tiny step you missed after the fact.

Porterhaus
Jun 6, 2006

Zero to Gyro

Solarin posted:

PoP launch as enchanter is all about the desperate rush to get your level 64 charm. The spell system is pretty annoying with random chance determining what you get for each parchment hand in. Hopefully your guild does some funneling of parchments to get enchanters their charm for efficient XPing.

Also be ready to read and re-read flagging guides to stay on track with the long and convoluted process. It can be a mess to try and sort through what tiny step you missed after the fact.

That was the very first spell hand in I got (meant to turn in an ethereal instead), so I must have been exceptionally lucky. Picked up a surprisingly cheap copy of the level 61 mez and 61 tash as well, and then turned in an actual ethereal for the 61 root. So far those are the only four spells I have but we secured BoT & CoD flags and killed OW Agnar and DZ Bert before calling it for the night. Super fun time so far! Haven’t seen these zones in 20 years and back then I was in middle school stumbling my way through Plane of Innovation.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

RCarr posted:

Shinai of the ancients (max bid the gently caress out of it as it might not drop for ages, took 11 clears before we saw it. I'd almost hoard dkp for it and wait) and exiquisite puresteel wraps (hammer of the timeweaver can also work)
Silver hoop of speed
Cord of temporal weavings
Earring of celestial energy (tanks might get priority for the clicky)
Band of prismatic focus
Mantle of precision

The above are must haves and heavy competition.

The other stuff comes easy enough with not a lot of competetion from other classes. Legs, boots, chest etc

I think there's a mask and arms from the tier 3 bosses. Up to you how you want to do this. Get it ASAP or wait and hope you don't get hosed on RNG like me. They are both BiS I'm 99% sure.

If you have AHR gloves, this is the last thing to upgrade unless the gloves from cazic are rotting. Same goes if you have AHR neck. Bert (I think) drops a better neck but not by much.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Porterhaus posted:

That was the very first spell hand in I got (meant to turn in an ethereal instead), so I must have been exceptionally lucky. Picked up a surprisingly cheap copy of the level 61 mez and 61 tash as well, and then turned in an actual ethereal for the 61 root. So far those are the only four spells I have but we secured BoT & CoD flags and killed OW Agnar and DZ Bert before calling it for the night. Super fun time so far! Haven’t seen these zones in 20 years and back then I was in middle school stumbling my way through Plane of Innovation.

That’s a relief getting the charm right away. Now you can just leisurely fill in the rest of the spells without pressure and trade/sell any charm duplicates.

PoP is probably the greatest time to play an enchanter on a TLP. Charm is absurdly strong and usable in almost every zone you care to spend time in. There also actually feels like there’s a risk of death on bad charm breaks because mob damage is so much higher and you can’t PBAE stun level 65s until LDoN. At the same time much fewer things summon so you can take lots of stupid risks and get away with it if you’re paying attention. There’s also a lot of raid encounters where tank damage is really high and well placed runes actually can matter.

Good luck with the rest of your flagging (and getting a serpent of vindication) adventures

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
I'd also use PoP as a time to level a new character too! Enchanter becomes super boring after PoP and Plane of Time becomes a great place to twink out a character in tier 1-3 very quickly.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

GoD is pretty fun for enchanter with the obscene charm pets in tipt and vxed. You really gotta see them to believe how broken they are. If you aren’t paying attention and a hasted charm pet breaks you just die in 2 seconds. it’s amazing.

Charm doesn’t work in all the higher tier zones but at least CC is genuinely valuable with how dangerous trash mobs are. AE mez in particular is hugely useful. However in the level 70 range CC falls off a cliff in value and the solution to trains is have a raid geared SK just face tank them.

My ‘get poo poo done’ box went from enchanter to monk during GoD and in Omens I was really glad to have made that change.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Enjoying PoP on Yelinak so far - The change thas was done to Plane of Storms for BoT keying a couple of years ago was so good.

All the toxic behaviour seems to have vanished in Storms !

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I didn’t know there was anyone else on Yelinak besides the 3 of us in Queynos Yacht Club!

What guild are you with?

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
I'm in Dayraiders - The guild is around 50% Euros and 50% Americans who prefer to raid during the day.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Baconroll posted:

I'm in Dayraiders - The guild is around 50% Euros and 50% Americans who prefer to raid during the day.

Nice, how are you doing progression wise? Waroduece, Porterhaus, and I are in Queynos Yacht club and we got to time last night after burning the candle at both ends since the expansion launch. We are gonna kill Quarm tonight. It was definitely cool to burn through everything racing to be the first guild to clear time (we will be the second, Resurgence must have not slept all weekend), but I will never do anything like that again, haha. I think I played close to 40 hours of EQ from Thursday evening to Sunday night :chloe:

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
We're going to be in PoP for 20 weeks so not racing through it. Will probably be in the elemental planes next week and Time the week after.

We changed our off-night raids from /rand to gdkp recently and I've really enjoyed that. Will be interesting to see how much is spent in off-night VT - I think its going to be a LOT at least the first couple of times. When everyone's alts are flagged for elementals I can see the desire to do VT on an off-night drying up.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Are the GDKP raids open to the public? If so when do you do them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
They aren't public currently, but it may happen. If it does I'll let you know...