Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Rutibex posted:

I'm pretty sure you actually can emulate switch games. get a better computer?

you probably can there's just nothing worth emulating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Archer666 posted:

Learning how to play the game on a basic level isn't that difficult. It only gets complicated when you start doing the really complex poo poo, like weaponizing vulcanos or or diverting rivers into an oncoming enemy army.

How do I get a cat army to rule the world?

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Since it's time to bitch about Final Fantasy again I'm going to complain about the story in 12. 12 has the notable handicap that it's the only one I've played in the last decade+, but the plot seemed like it kept setting itself up for some sort of twist or something interesting then just throwing it away. Examples (I ain't spoiling any of this non-plot):

Wow, teaming up with the Kingslayer! I bet he has some interesting reasons why he did what he did, and it will create some dramatic friction in the party! Nope, that was just his identical twin and that's that.

Or when you need an ultimate weapon to end the war, but you have to get it from some evil puppet master Demons/Aliens. Oh boy! This game is like FFT right? I bet there'll be a high price to pay for power that will make them regret the path they took!

Demons/Aliens: You can have our ultimate weapon, and the power will corrupt you and you will cause all kinds of horror and increase our control or something!

Princess Hotpants: Nah, I'll take your weapon but I'm not going to do that other stuff.

Demons/Aliens: drat!

And that's it? There was some FFT style political backstabbing, but it was all with people you mostly didn't know who were in a completely different place and only served to put the guy who was introduced at the start as your enemy into the position where he could always be your enemy. Even Fran's rear end taking up 1/3rd of the screen in every cutscene couldn't save this game.

But it did have 4x fast forward and everyone just killed everything without me having to press a button so in conclusion it was the best Final Fantasy (not counting FFT, but that goes without saying or it would always win).

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 days!)

I thought what happened was that the suncryst was the superweapon, which in the past three chunks of had been taken and were now threatening the world with a lot of destruction - so Ashe's dilemma was to go and take a shard/the whole thing for herself and use it to defeat Vayne and save Dalmasca, but she decided to destroy the suncryst instead. Then you go with your team to the Bahamut air fortress and kill him with your normal powers, no crystals. Venat abandons Vayne - they operate on eternal timeframes so it probably doesn't matter much to them. Ashe's goal was to liberate Dalmasca and she achieved it.

I think that's what happened anyway. I think the story in FFXII is barebones but it's also the best written FF game so it's a shame it's the game with the lightest story.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

itry posted:

Learning how to play Dwarf Fortress seems like a huge commitment.

:haibrower:

I looked at Dwarf Fortress, and Kerbal Space Program and.....three thousand+ hours later, I got a spaceplane to mars Duna :byoscience:
May have made the wrong choice because I think I could've gotten weird with DF

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

roomtone posted:

I thought what happened was that the suncryst was the superweapon, which in the past three chunks of had been taken and were now threatening the world with a lot of destruction - so Ashe's dilemma was to go and take a shard/the whole thing for herself and use it to defeat Vayne and save Dalmasca, but she decided to destroy the suncryst instead. Then you go with your team to the Bahamut air fortress and kill him with your normal powers, no crystals. Venat abandons Vayne - they operate on eternal timeframes so it probably doesn't matter much to them. Ashe's goal was to liberate Dalmasca and she achieved it.

I think that's what happened anyway. I think the story in FFXII is barebones but it's also the best written FF game so it's a shame it's the game with the lightest story.

Yeah Ashe decides to not use alien Halliburton to win the conflict, destroying alien Halliburton’s superweapon in the process. She then goes on to successfully free Dalmasca without alien Halliburton’s help. In this way, she puts history back into the hands of man for better or worse. This is, coincidentally, the same outcome that the villains wanted.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Sonic Frontiers looks like the ugliest game ever. It looks like a bunch of poo poo slapped down in a premade unreal engine level. Its unbelievable that anyone likes this poo poo. Why do people even like sonic as a character? As far as I can see, he has no character traits besides like, I dunno, 90s pepsi-style attitude.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Nice Van My Man posted:

Since it's time to bitch about Final Fantasy again I'm going to complain about the story in 12. 12 has the notable handicap that it's the only one I've played in the last decade+, but the plot seemed like it kept setting itself up for some sort of twist or something interesting then just throwing it away. Examples (I ain't spoiling any of this non-plot):

Wow, teaming up with the Kingslayer! I bet he has some interesting reasons why he did what he did, and it will create some dramatic friction in the party! Nope, that was just his identical twin and that's that.

Or when you need an ultimate weapon to end the war, but you have to get it from some evil puppet master Demons/Aliens. Oh boy! This game is like FFT right? I bet there'll be a high price to pay for power that will make them regret the path they took!

Demons/Aliens: You can have our ultimate weapon, and the power will corrupt you and you will cause all kinds of horror and increase our control or something!

Princess Hotpants: Nah, I'll take your weapon but I'm not going to do that other stuff.

Demons/Aliens: drat!

And that's it? There was some FFT style political backstabbing, but it was all with people you mostly didn't know who were in a completely different place and only served to put the guy who was introduced at the start as your enemy into the position where he could always be your enemy. Even Fran's rear end taking up 1/3rd of the screen in every cutscene couldn't save this game.

But it did have 4x fast forward and everyone just killed everything without me having to press a button so in conclusion it was the best Final Fantasy (not counting FFT, but that goes without saying or it would always win).

FF12 is the most forgettable FF I've played, by far. I know I've finished it... Maybe it's actually an amazing game, it's just that I forgot all about it.

Vampire Panties posted:

:haibrower:

I looked at Dwarf Fortress, and Kerbal Space Program and.....three thousand+ hours later, I got a spaceplane to mars Duna :byoscience:
May have made the wrong choice because I think I could've gotten weird with DF

I'll see where DF takes me (probably not Mars)

itry fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Dec 7, 2022

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

itry posted:

FF12 is the most forgettable FF I've played, by far. I know I've finished it... Maybe it's actually an amazing game, it's just that I forgot all about it.

to be completely honest, I regret nothing about sinking that much time into KSP. It was kind of a weird, decade long ride that scratched an intellectual itch I didn't know I had, and incentivized me to build at least three separate PCs. I'm sure as hell no Scott Manley, but getting pretty decent at KSP is one of the skills I'm secretly proud of and would never mention outside this dead gay forum.

I may go all-out and build a custom controller for KSP2, but I also dont really expect lightning to strike twice there

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

Caesar Saladin posted:

Sonic Frontiers looks like the ugliest game ever. It looks like a bunch of poo poo slapped down in a premade unreal engine level. Its unbelievable that anyone likes this poo poo. Why do people even like sonic as a character? As far as I can see, he has no character traits besides like, I dunno, 90s pepsi-style attitude.

Because the controls are good and so it's a lot of fun to speed through obstacle courses to beat your best time, op

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

JollyBoyJohn posted:

you probably can there's just nothing worth emulating

I've been playing the new Pokemon via emu and from what i hear it's a much better experience than trying to play it on switch lol

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

itry posted:

The plot twist is that the Dwarves were on Mars the entire time.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
The best thing about FF12 is how many different ways the characters pronounce the name Bahamut.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

roomtone posted:

Oh yeah, you're right, I forgot the whole scene where they smash it. I just wanted to see more consequence for something and a little more drama to care about instead of noping out and just beating the baddie anyway. I thought the weapon was going to insert some interesting situations and didn't realize the game was on a crash course for an immediate ending. Maybe the 4xFF clouded my judgement for how long it had been going. In terms of pure dialog it was probably the best written, approaching Vagrant Story levels even. I know it had a pretty tortured development with the stupid kid protagonists being added and it kind of shows.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Been playing Tunic. Not too far in but far enough to see that this is another case of people sucking too much Dark Souls dick. Seems like it would be a good game with Zelda type difficulty. But with Dark Souls poo poo this isn't particularly fun. It feels like too often a combat encounter ends up being, try to bait one guy out at a time and run because combat in this game is terrible. Loads of fun to get hit and die while healing, too.

Other than the awful combat, this really seems like an interesting game. Glad I am playing it on Game Pass because I am one more rage quit away from bouncing off and deleting it.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Waltzing Along posted:

Been playing Tunic. Not too far in but far enough to see that this is another case of people sucking too much Dark Souls dick. Seems like it would be a good game with Zelda type difficulty. But with Dark Souls poo poo this isn't particularly fun. It feels like too often a combat encounter ends up being, try to bait one guy out at a time and run because combat in this game is terrible. Loads of fun to get hit and die while healing, too.

Other than the awful combat, this really seems like an interesting game. Glad I am playing it on Game Pass because I am one more rage quit away from bouncing off and deleting it.

I have never played a Souls game, or a soul-style game for that matter, and so I'm fascinated by what parallels people now draw. The second I got the sword all non-boss combat in TUNIC felt trivial (as it should be); it felt reminiscent of OoT with all the lock-ons and blocks/baiting of attacks. I played like the first five Zelda games as they came out and I can't imagine anything else as being a source material, the inspirations are so clear.

Maybe people have just started to suck a lot more, and a popular Souls game was the only thing that ever pushed back on them and so now all 'hard fight with a sword' is a Souls-like, it seems.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Well...due to the manual system being both interesting and bad, I found out how to do upgrades. Would have helped earlier but whatever. At least the game is playable now.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
how in the hell do you play Bloodborne? Is it just 'get gud' or are there some things i should know?

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Roll like a motherfucker

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Step one, take enough drugs to pierce the illusory veil protecting your waking existence

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

tango alpha delta posted:

how in the hell do you play Bloodborne? Is it just 'get gud' or are there some things i should know?

dodge the enemy attacks and hit them while its safe. That game is the simplest out of the From games, you don't even need to get gud, you'll be fine when you get used to it.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
if you don't get gud and die too many times to the same bossfight you'll run out of health potions and have to have to tediously farm money to buy more though, idk why they walked that mechanic backwards to demons' souls level

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Go real slow. Throw rocks. Take your time. Once you get to the first boss, throw molotovs or whatever fire bombs you have. Once you see him or beat him, the doll wakes up and you can start leveling up. It's a terrible mechanic to start the game. I think it is called insight or something. But you need 1, which you get from seeing the first boss, in order for the doll to let you get skilled up.

Whether you beat the boss or not, from that point on you can level up. The game gets much easier at that point.

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos
Yeah BB was my first souls game since the original Demons Souls on PS3, so it took me a bit to get the hang of it.

I found thinking of it like a loose rhythm game helped a ton. Once you get the timing of the counter shot down, things become way easier - it falls into a flow of quickstep, countershot, stab.

A farting mink
Nov 6, 2022

by Pragmatica

Waltzing Along posted:

Yeah, I'm sick and tired of pretty much every indie game these days going for being some sort of Souls-like. My favourite indie game this year was Bear and Breakfast. It's a delightful little game where you are a bear named Hank and you hang out with your animal buddies and build various hotels and such. Some of the humour is kinda dark but never ill intended.
Also, it has a possum called Gus and he's easily my favourite game character of the year. Gus is a piece of poo poo.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Crash bandicoot was a better game than Mario 64 and on average crash games are more fun than Mario games

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Crash bandicoot was a better game than Mario 64 and on average crash games are more fun than Mario games

This is undeniable truth

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Better music by far too

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

im a zool guy

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Crash is the “We have Mario at home” of its era. Just terrible unusable camera perspective and tedious uninspired gameplay. Spyro is much more deserving as the PS1s flagship mascot platformer.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Spyro is so much better than crash bandicoot that it's not even a contest. Just a vague memory of small corridors where sometimes you ran AT the camera versus a fully realized Mario-like but with it's own style.

Not that it's amazing but spyro left a better impression on me.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I'm partial to sly cooper

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Crash 2 is easily the best Crash game and every other game in the series has been crashing that high and failing to achieve it. It's still not as good as Mario 64.

Crash Team Racing blows Mario Kart 64 out of the water though.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
west of loathing is the greatest turn-based combat rpg and it's not even close

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I'm gonna say Mario was best when he was able to loving shoot stuff after picking the fire flower.

Platformers are a failed genre because success means you navigated the level. It's like congrats you didn't die you managed to escape lame failure. For now...

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Vandar posted:

Crash Team Racing blows Mario Kart 64 out of the water though.

So so very true.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Yeah, and this goes for every Souls game: LEVEL VIGOR THE HP STAT(drat you From and your trickery). Did you reach the softcap for vitality yet? If not level vitality some more. Nothing even scales with stats in the early game, nothing else matters! Maybe level something else a tiny bit if you need it to wield a weapon you like, but otherwise you need to hit the vigor cap ASAP.

Also the whole shoot to parry system seemed really inconsistent to me. It was either totally devastating enemies/bosses or totally useless. Give them a few plinks as they attack and if it doesn't work right away forget about it.

Nice Van My Man fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Dec 9, 2022

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
in demon souls and dark souls 1 the hp stat was vitality
then in ds2 and ds3 they kept "vitality" as the name for a stat but made it do something completely different (stamina and equipload and poo poo) and not increase hp at all?

so depending on which game you play the answer is "level vit before anything" or "ignore vit early on, it's a trap stat, level vigor instead"

DaS, DS1, BB: hp stat is vitality
Elden ring: hp stat is vigor
DS2-3: vit and vigor both exist and do different things what the gently caress

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Dec 9, 2022

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I really liked Death Stranding like, a lot. But it definitely doesn't need a sequel, it kinda did its thing and pulled it off as well as it could have. Don't really need more box-carrying gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Vic posted:

I'm gonna say Mario was best when he was able to loving shoot stuff after picking the fire flower.

Platformers are a failed genre because success means you navigated the level. It's like congrats you didn't die you managed to escape lame failure. For now...

Ironically, they named the best 2D Mario game "super Mario 3d land"