Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Or if Jamaal doesn't lose his first fumble EVER on the 1 yard line.

Or if Aubrey Pleasant doesn't go into business for himself against the Dolphins.

Sigh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
But in the Real Life the Vikings are 10-2.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

SirPablo posted:

Might wanna start warmin' up your 3 key now.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

tinstaach posted:

God help me but I'm slowly leaning toward taking Anderson/Carter with the Rams pick and a CB with their own, and a project QB later on. I've been an unwavering Goff Hater since the day the trade happened, but even with his limitations it's demonstrably true that Goff + a healthy Swift and ARSB + some warm bodies is a pretty frickin' good offense, so in terms of marginal utility improving the defense would result in more wins than improving the offense. The team as it is now is already in the wild card if they could stop the Eagles in Week 1 or the Seahawks in Week 4 even a single time

The team has proven they can win with Goff and a dog poo poo defense. Make the defense average and who knows. Losing ben Johnson if he goes may be a big hit though. He seems to understand what Goff can do pretty well. At least muscle coach seems to understand that including players in play design and game planning is a good thing and working to their strengths is also good.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

MJeff posted:

13-2?

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

I should mention that Plan A is of course to sign Lamar Jackson, then kidnap Ben Johnson's family and threaten to do horrible things to them if he leaves for a HC job, then everything falls into place and you win the NFC

Of course much like the Vikings everyone everywhere will call them frauds until the day they win the Super Bowl, and probably for a good bit afterwards too while I'm dreaming

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

MJeff posted:

They can't be 13-2 until much later though?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

SirPablo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBiQIeNKQNY&t=40s

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Watching Lions fans talk themselves into keeping Jared Goff for the medium-term rather than using the top-5 pick they were gifted to get a top QB prospect has been a fascinating development. Not saying they should pick a QB just to pick one, but if the team is at all sold on any of Stroud/Young/Levis they absolutely need to pull the trigger on getting their guy and then hope you don’t draft that high again for a decade+

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
I can absolutely see the Lions beating the Vikes.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
As a Lions fan, every time I see someone with that take (edit: Don't take a QB in the draft) I get a knot in my stomach and a sense of utter dread. Because it seems like the sort of galaxy-brained move the Lions might actually do.

If they end the year with a Top 5 pick plus another 1st, which seems fairly likely, I think they have to go QB with one of their 1st rounders.

Unless they work out some sort of insane tag-and-trade deal with the Ravens for Lamar,, of course.

Q_res fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Dec 7, 2022

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

tinstaach posted:

God help me but I'm slowly leaning toward taking Anderson/Carter with the Rams pick and a CB with their own, and a project QB later on. I've been an unwavering Goff Hater since the day the trade happened, but even with his limitations it's demonstrably true that Goff + a healthy Swift and ARSB + some warm bodies is a pretty frickin' good offense, so in terms of marginal utility improving the defense would result in more wins than improving the offense. The team as it is now is already in the wild card if they could stop the Eagles in Week 1 or the Seahawks in Week 4 even a single time

Goff puts a ceiling on the team that they will hit in the playoffs. He’s fine until he isn’t and then he’s really bad. Like “score zero points” bad. I’m also not really convinced that the “throw a bunch of draft picks at it” approach actually works to fix defenses. Usually if a defense is really bad it’s because the coaching is really bad.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

xbilkis posted:

Watching Lions fans talk themselves into keeping Jared Goff for the medium-term rather than using the top-5 pick they were gifted to get a top QB prospect has been a fascinating development. Not saying they should pick a QB just to pick one, but if the team is at all sold on any of Stroud/Young/Levis they absolutely need to pull the trigger on getting their guy and then hope you don’t draft that high again for a decade+

They have a top 5 scoring offense right now with Goff and a bottom of the barrel defense. I know an analogy was made with Dalton and Burrow earlier on but the problem with that is....nobody in this draft is Joe Burrow.

Every time I say I'm done with Goff and I want the Lions to get a QB no matter what this offseason, he turns around and plays how he did in that Jags game. Which was really good, but, y'know, it was the Jags. I don't know what the answer is and I don't envy the people who have to make the decision. :v:

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

That's a really good take on Goff, he's good enough to make you think he's the answer. Usually a couple games later he'll make you think, "What the gently caress was I thinking?!!?"

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Bumhead posted:

The best thing about the international audience is that every team is represented, and people are extremely passionate and loyal about the teams they've picked.

The NFL's attempts at trying to push certain teams always feels off. Nobody is buying into the Jaguars apparently being our team. Similarly, nobody I know over here is ditching their teams in favour of a London-Anything. I mean I'm from the North, so have a natural distain for London anyway. The London series works because people are excited to watch the teams that already exist.

I'm 42, and I can never remember being as sad about a result as finding out the Lions got stomped by Washington in the 1991/2 NFC title game... in a newspaper on the Tuesday after the game

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Watching that game (as an 11 yo who thought Barry was basically God) was way worse.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
yeah, you always take the loving QB lol.

Defenses you can buy, or deal with a bad one, if you have that guy none of that poo poo matters. Especially if that guy is on a rookie deal.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

mercenarynuker posted:

As far as the British in this thread goes, I've only seen 3 Lions fans :newlol:

I'm a Brit Bears fan, got into NFL through a friend who is a mad keen Vikings supporter and vaguely followed them for a few years before getting really into the Bears. No idea why as they've been various shades of bad to dire in the time I've followed them, but I'm invested in their games in a way I'm not for other teams. It's fun to have a friend supporting a divisional rival but the smack talk has been a bit one sided lately

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I’m also not really convinced that the “throw a bunch of draft picks at it” approach actually works to fix defenses. Usually if a defense is really bad it’s because the coaching is really bad.

Example 1: The Green Bay Football Packers

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Dexo posted:

yeah, you always take the loving QB lol.

Defenses you can buy, or deal with a bad one, if you have that guy none of that poo poo matters. Especially if that guy is on a rookie deal.

This.

The Panthers spent all 7 picks on defense in 2020 and their 2019 and 2021 first rounders were also on defense and they are still in the bottom half of the league and they’ll probably ship half of them off next year when the new coach wants to bring in his guys.

If they’d spent one of those picks on Justin Fields maybe they’d be showing signs right now.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Party Boat posted:

a mad keen Vikings supporter

lmao

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

As a lions fan I'm not sold on any of the qbs, but if they decide to draft one I'll trust it as so far this regime has shown they draft well.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Scipiotik posted:

As a lions fan I'm not sold on any of the qbs, but if they decide to draft one I'll trust it as so far this regime has shown they draft well.

Case in point:

https://twitter.com/LionsPR/status/1600511821106089988?t=7vJl__QIc-609H9xqs5qcw&s=19

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Party Boat posted:

I'm a Brit Bears fan, got into NFL through a friend who is a mad keen Vikings supporter and vaguely followed them for a few years before getting really into the Bears. No idea why as they've been various shades of bad to dire in the time I've followed them, but I'm invested in their games in a way I'm not for other teams. It's fun to have a friend supporting a divisional rival but the smack talk has been a bit one sided lately

da bears

Apples McGrind
Oct 13, 2013

tinstaach posted:

ah man, i dunno. I was pretty accepting of Goff early on tbh, and willing to give him a chance based on the final stretch last season and the early returns of the offense. But his magical ability to lay a fat turd every few weeks is just convincing me that even if the Lions managed to get into the playoffs, he'd cock it up immediately. But I'm also not convinced of Stroud's ability after that Michigan game... so I guess I might humor this?

My biggest worry about QB is that Dan Campbell, as much as I love him, seems to be getting louder about his unwavering support of Goof. I might be wrong but i'm concerned that it's not just a talking point for the media, and that he wants to ride-or-die with Jared. Obviously it's not his decision on who the team picks in the draft, but I imagine his voice matters somewhat to Brad Holmes and management, and the last thing I want is the team to feel like QB is a solved problem.

Maybe I'm being irrational, but I just don't want the Lions to revert back to a rotating carousel of QBs before we drafted Stafford. Those years with Harrington/Kitna/Culpepper etc. were just so unpleasant to watch week-to-week.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/jacobmorley/status/1600536956789833728

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Apples McGrind posted:

ah man, i dunno. I was pretty accepting of Goff early on tbh, and willing to give him a chance based on the final stretch last season and the early returns of the offense. But his magical ability to lay a fat turd every few weeks is just convincing me that even if the Lions managed to get into the playoffs, he'd cock it up immediately. But I'm also not convinced of Stroud's ability after that Michigan game... so I guess I might humor this?

My biggest worry about QB is that Dan Campbell, as much as I love him, seems to be getting louder about his unwavering support of Goof. I might be wrong but i'm concerned that it's not just a talking point for the media, and that he wants to ride-or-die with Jared. Obviously it's not his decision on who the team picks in the draft, but I imagine his voice matters somewhat to Brad Holmes and management, and the last thing I want is the team to feel like QB is a solved problem.

Maybe I'm being irrational, but I just don't want the Lions to revert back to a rotating carousel of QBs before we drafted Stafford. Those years with Harrington/Kitna/Culpepper etc. were just so unpleasant to watch week-to-week.

Goff just basically played a perfect game, Campbell has to show unwavering support for him.

I mean even if Goff was playing poorly, you show support for your guy until he's not your guy anymore.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

Campbell isn't the type to toss his players under the bus anyway. He might cut you or fire you but he's going to accentuate your positives as he kicks you to the curb.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I don't get the Richardson hype. Watched a lot of Florida football and he's just not that good.

Also starting to think the Bears should just draft Carter if he's available. The top EDGE would of course be nice, but how often does a player come along at tackle that looks to be as gifted as Carter?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Famous last words:

https://twitter.com/christomasson/status/1600613117678985235

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

If the Lions are content with riding Goff for one more season, they could draft Hendon Hooker and let him rehab for a year before playing him. Not sure how far that guy drops because of his torn ACL, but he’d drop far enough that you don’t need to use the Rams pick on him that’s for sure.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Niwrad posted:

I don't get the Richardson hype. Watched a lot of Florida football and he's just not that good.

I bet his RAS score will be high, don't let Brian Gutekunst see him.

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction

Apples McGrind posted:

Another possibility is that the FO has already decided they’re not going to take a QB high this year, and this is Campbell helping to manage public expectations. That seems more likely to me than him making a public case to the GM that they should keep rolling with Goff. Not to say the latter is impossible, but so far they seem to be on the same page over there.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

WARM SEASON'S GREETINGS TO YOU ALL FROM MENARD'S

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

gloom posted:

Not to say the latter is impossible, but so far they seem to be on the same page over there.

There was a post earlier itt that seemed to be criticizing the Holmes/Campbell connection which I thought was odd since everything I've seen in the past near-2-years has indicated that they're cooperating excellently.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

WARM SEASON'S GREETINGS TO YOU ALL FROM MENARD'S

I hope every building they own burns. Thatll make it warm.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

SKULL.GIF posted:

There was a post earlier itt that seemed to be criticizing the Holmes/Campbell connection which I thought was odd since everything I've seen in the past near-2-years has indicated that they're cooperating excellently.

There's a certain genre of Lions fan that have had their brains permanently broken by decades of failure. They fully believe that everything the team does is a collosal mistake, and nothing will get very until the Ford family sells the team and/or the team moves to, say, San Antonio. They are a sad species, one to be pitied, and are mostly found in Facebook comment sections and calling into 97.1

But yeah everything that's been reported indicates that Holmes and Campbell are very much on the same page, have been since both were hired, and work together extremely well.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

Bird in a Blender posted:

If the Lions are content with riding Goff for one more season, they could draft Hendon Hooker and let him rehab for a year before playing him. Not sure how far that guy drops because of his torn ACL, but he’d drop far enough that you don’t need to use the Rams pick on him that’s for sure.

The Lions should absolutely not draft a 25-year-old rookie quarterback with a torn ACL holy gently caress

Like I’d rather them not trade up for their QB but if it has to happen I’d prefer that to taking Hooker and having him sit for as long as Jamo did before even maybe knowing if he’s any good

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

Goff is only 28, so drafting a 25 year old that won't play for a year would be a bit silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I still maintain that Goff has the yips with regards to various aspects of playing the position, and that his psyche has been permanently broken since Bill Belicheck broke it in the Super Bowl.