Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
Dwarf Fortress on the deck so far:

woke kaczynski posted:

So far I've genned a world, poked around in legends mode and now I'm going through the fortress mode tutorial, so I'm extremely early on. That said, so far it's worked perfectly, I'm playing much more slowly than I would be on keyboard and mouse but using the default wasd + mouse controls is working ok, still tripping out at just dragging and clicking to designate even though I know mouse controls technically existed for a while. I'm absolutely sure someone (many someones, really) will create a tweaked control scheme that works much better for its peculiarities soon. I'm a simple baby enthralled with scrolling around and seeing multiple z levels, i was sure I'd switch back to ASCII first thing and I'm sure I'll still use it a lot but goddamn this is beautiful.

tl;dr I'll update as I get further in but so far this is perfectly playable on steam deck to a degree that is dangerous for my continued employment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

woke kaczynski posted:

yessssss

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

woke kaczynski posted:

Hell hell hell yeah

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
Just genned a 500 year old world hell yeah, took like an hour but no signs of crashing!!

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

woke kaczynski posted:

:sickos:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I would play it but it's so ugly

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Does anyone know how to load the slingshot or bait the fishing rod with the default controls in Stardew Valley?

I’m 20 hours into the game and can’t figure it out.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Does anyone have a "Giant idiots" guide to setting up moonlight? I've heard its the best streaming experience, since steam remote play sucks for me I wanted to try it but I don't want to do too much flatpak mucking about.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Download Moonlight in the discover store in desktop mode.
Add it as a non steam game.
Open nvidia experience on PC go to options, Shield, and turn on devices.
Open moonlight in game mode.

Some games will automatically be added, otherwise you'll need to add the exes manually in nvidia experience or just run it through Steam as a moonlight game.

https://www.gamersdirector.com/guides/how-to-set-up-moonlight-on-steam-deck/

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

The biggest downside to Moonlight is you lose all the Steam controller functionality, it just acts as an Xbox controller. That might be all you need, though.

The layers of launchers get a bit farcical but I use Moonlight exclusively to launch Playnite, which does a much better job than Moonlight itself of pulling together my Steam / Epic / GOG / gamepass / etc library

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I do love Playnite as a front-end for all my poo poo on my PC. But yeah, it's awkward having layers of launchers.

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
In Midnight Suns, deck crashes every in game night and I can't stop metaphorically crying. Tried different proton strains, nothing helps. Why has Jake forsaken me????

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
oh no, vampire survivors dlc

$2, on the 15th, one stage eight characters a dozen weapons

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

oh no, vampire survivors dlc

$2, on the 15th, one stage eight characters a dozen weapons

That's outstandingly reasonable for a game like that.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Neito posted:

That's outstandingly reasonable for a game like that.

It’s almost 2/3rds what I paid for the game.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

njsykora posted:

It’s almost 2/3rds what I paid for the game.

When will these greedy developers learn

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

eddiewalker posted:

Does anyone know how to load the slingshot or bait the fishing rod with the default controls in Stardew Valley?

I’m 20 hours into the game and can’t figure it out.

not sure on controller.. but drag the "ammo/bait" over the item and right click
Google says this:

Adding bait to the rod requires the use of the Use Tool key in Stardew Valley. For PC users, the Use Tool button is right-click, for Switch players it is Y, X for Xbox users, and Square for PlayStation users. Push the Use Tool butto

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

History Comes Inside! posted:

When will these greedy developers learn

And they're calling it the "first" dlc. Wtf

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

90s Cringe Rock posted:

And they're calling it the "first" dlc. Wtf

Absolutely abhorrent behavior

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Vampire Survivors is so good that I bought it again on Xbox just for the gently caress of it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I have advanced further on the Xbox version. It runs so smoothly.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Popping in again to plug Astlibra: Revision. If you're into side-scrolling action games with extremely satisfying combat you need to check it out. My absolute favorite game to play on the deck at the moment.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1718570/ASTLIBRA_Revision/

Sterf
Dec 31, 2004

Can't believe I'm playing Dwarf Fortress on a handheld 16 years after first playing it.

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Dark Knight

History Comes Inside! posted:

What resolution are you outputting to the tv in desktop mode?

I think the issue is the dock itself. I was turning it on and bizarrely the display would blink every time I moved the mouse.

Unplugged everything from the dock and set it all back up and now everything works perfectly including in desktop mode.

So I guess a word of warning to others, just suck it up and either get the official dock or at least a nice one.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

I've been reading this thread eagerly while waiting for my StockX Deck to arrive as I'm in Australia.

My order was cancelled as the sender never sent it to them.

I got a refund but as it's now December, I don't like my chances of getting it before the holidays with all the logistics funkiness going on. :smith:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

drat that sucks.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I would play it but it's so ugly

MODS????

Hoooo boy. There goes any scrap of productivity I had....

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I finally gave in to temptation and ordered a Steam Deck today. Does anyone happen to know what the actual shipping times are like currently, considering I decided to do this right in the middle of Christmas shipping season?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Randalor posted:

I finally gave in to temptation and ordered a Steam Deck today. Does anyone happen to know what the actual shipping times are like currently, considering I decided to do this right in the middle of Christmas shipping season?

I ordered it on December 1st at 5am, and it's on the truck for delivery today.

512gb model, and I live in Virginia.

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...
If I order a dock what are the chances I get it before Christmas

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

DrWrestling69 posted:

If I order a dock what are the chances I get it before Christmas

At this stage I'd say decently likely but don't rely on it.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

I mean, unless you really, really, really want the official Valve one, wouldn't any generic USB-C dock/hub work?

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe

Randalor posted:

I ordered mine on December 1 and the original delivery date to SoCal was going to be December 8, but it got delayed in IL and is now coming on the 11th :gonk:

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
So I got myself a Deck as an early Hanukkah gift and so far I am loving it.
I am also, however, as computer illiterate as a man 10-20 years my senior and know basically nothing about Linux. Like I see the github link for some stuff and some other things and have no idea how to parse like half of it. Is there any sort of complete idiot step-by-step guide on how to do some stuff like get emulation, compatibility, and other games lik Ship of Harkinian running?
Apologies for my ignorance.

Also! Uh, the discord link in the op seems bork.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I am also, however, as computer illiterate as a man 10-20 years my senior and know basically nothing about Linux. Like I see the github link for some stuff and some other things and have no idea how to parse like half of it. Is there any sort of complete idiot step-by-step guide on how to do some stuff like get emulation, compatibility, and other games lik Ship of Harkinian running?

For emulation, just go to the emudeck website on your deck and download from there. I'd recommend starting out with an easy-to-emulate platform like gamecube or PS2. Get used to the process of finding roms, placing them in the right directory, and having emudeck recognize them. Linux is a bit intimidating but it honestly is VERY similar to the windows UI at this point. There are also tons of good starter videos on youtube if you just search "emudeck".

reddit's r/roms is a good place to start out with. Lots of good info and their megathread has links to pretty much every rom you'll need to get started.

I can't speak to Ship of Harkinian in particular, but I did install the Majora's Mask Project Restoration mod and that wasn't too difficult, again most of the processes will be pretty similar to what you'd do on a PC, the only distinction is it can sometimes be a little trickier to navigate the linux file directories.

If you run into specific issues feel free to ask here or discord.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

EMUDeck is stupid easy.
https://www.emudeck.com/#how_to_install
Just download the installer and choose easy mode; save to an SD Card. Boom.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

deong posted:

EMUDeck is stupid easy.
https://www.emudeck.com/#how_to_install
Just download the installer and choose easy mode; save to an SD Card. Boom.

Ah, thank you. I was under the impression Retroarch was better? S'what some folks told me.
Do I need an SD card? I bought the middle level deck since I don't have a good SD card atm. Well, I do, but it's already on my Switch duty.

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Dark Knight

Neito posted:

I mean, unless you really, really, really want the official Valve one, wouldn't any generic USB-C dock/hub work?

You can see my previous post but I've had weird issues with 3rd party docks. I noticed my issue went away when I didn't do power in on my dock however, so probably just get a nice one.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Ah, thank you. I was under the impression Retroarch was better? S'what some folks told me.
Do I need an SD card? I bought the middle level deck since I don't have a good SD card atm. Well, I do, but it's already on my Switch duty.

Yeah I’d pick up an SD card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

EmuDeck uses RetroArch for a lot of the consoles it emulates.

Yeah, get a microSD, you're going to fill that thing up quickly.