Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sirotan posted:

For maybe two seconds, they ended up cutting out most scenes he and the other tertiary pilots were in.

You should still watch Maverick tho

Yeah you see him enter the bar when they introduce the other pilots and someone mentions his character's name but other than that he's just in the background of a couple shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Oasx posted:

There will be no Molotov cocktails thrown in the new Daredevil show :(

https://twitter.com/mcu_direct/status/1600238676927193088?s=46&t=MxFeM40c2EtnVEpJH-iHkA

"Our reporter received this exclusive scoop from a man who looked suspiciously like Manny Jacinto with a mustache"

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Jerusalem posted:

Opening 5 minutes are Jason menacingly approaching a camper in the water beneath a cliff when suddenly Richard Armitage lands on top of him, getting skewered on his machete but also killing Jason. Hannibal and Will then land safely on their corpses but are washed different ways by the currents. BAM! Hannibal Season 4!

:pray:

Haven't rewatched Hannibal in like a year. Should do that again

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Baronash posted:

"Our reporter received this exclusive scoop from a man who looked suspiciously like Manny Jacinto with a mustache"

It was such a drat joy seeing Janet's actress in the Oops All Janets episode doing her impression of Eleanor doing her impression of Jason

Fuckin love poo poo like that

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Digital Jedi posted:

:pray:

Haven't rewatched Hannibal in like a year. Should do that again

I still liked season 3. Yeah the shoestring budget was laughable (stuffed doll tiger lol) but the Verger family stuff was so good and the last 5 seconds of the entire series was a perfect ending

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/shadowandbone_/status/1600520509757698048

I quite enjoyed the first season, so I am really looking forward to this. Sure, the main plot was super tropey, but it had enough fun b-plots and side characters to make it stand out from the crowd.

It is also nice to see a fantasy show set in a world with WW1 levels of technology, where wizards have to deal with the fact that machine guns are just as effective as fireballs.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

There's actually going to be a second season of Perry Mason:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdzl1LjoExQ

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'm really excited about both those shows.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I should really get around to watching Perry Mason. It's exactly the sort of thing I want to exist, but I just haven't bothered to go out of my way for it yet.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's the absolute apex of Shea Whigham Walking Around Looking at poo poo, it rules

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

SimonChris posted:

[Shadow and Bone season 2]
I quite enjoyed the first season, so I am really looking forward to this. Sure, the main plot was super tropey, but it had enough fun b-plots and side characters to make it stand out from the crowd.

It is also nice to see a fantasy show set in a world with WW1 levels of technology, where wizards have to deal with the fact that machine guns are just as effective as fireballs.

Oh man, I didn't even remember they were making more of this. Definitely a fun show.

Guess I'll have to re-watch season 1 at some point. Why are you giving me homework, teevee :argh:

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Alhazred posted:

I guess he will actually be a lawyer this time, then? Making Perry Mason a washed-out private detective who cheats his way through the bar exam was certainly an interesting choice.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

feedmyleg posted:

I should really get around to watching Perry Mason. It's exactly the sort of thing I want to exist, but I just haven't bothered to go out of my way for it yet.

It's cool.

I especially liked that it's set in the 1930s and not the 1950s like most noir film and tv set in Los Angeles that has come out in the last few decades (it feels like everyone is still going back to 97s LA Confidential for inspiration).
LA is still part farmland, the racism and poverty are worse. It gives everything a more edgy social background than the postwar setting. An American dream broken by the current circumstances, rather than one given new life after the war. And more outright weird stuff, like the strange personality cult revival church in season 1, and the focus on how new it was what they were doing, religion on the radio

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
SON OF A loving BITCH.

https://twitter.com/TheOnlyMikeQ/status/1600270048546865152

https://twitter.com/leiomy/status/1600249711729860608

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

EricBauman posted:

It's cool.

I especially liked that it's set in the 1930s and not the 1950s like most noir film and tv set in Los Angeles that has come out in the last few decades (it feels like everyone is still going back to 97s LA Confidential for inspiration).
LA is still part farmland, the racism and poverty are worse. It gives everything a more edgy social background than the postwar setting. An American dream broken by the current circumstances, rather than one given new life after the war. And more outright weird stuff, like the strange personality cult revival church in season 1, and the focus on how new it was what they were doing, religion on the radio

Also it made real good use of some classic LA locations that have been all but lost:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

SimonChris posted:

https://twitter.com/shadowandbone_/status/1600520509757698048

Yeah as far as YA fantasy goes, I thought s1 was pretty decent. Warrior Nun is also quite good (and s2 just came out!)

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Alhazred posted:

I didn't like the first season, but I seem to remember being interested in the second one, I just can't remember why.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Syfy is still doing sci fi shows?

quote:

Syfy has released a brief teaser trailer for “The Ark,” a project that teams two of the architects of the “Stargate” franchise – that film’s co-writer Dean Devlin and the SG-1 series co-creator Jonathan Glassner.

The pair, who previously teamed on The CW’s “The Outpost” series, will serve as co-showrunners here on a story which takes place aboard the Ark One, an interstellar vessel carrying humanity’s last hope for survival.

When catastrophes befalls the spaceship, killing off many of its passengers, the survivors must band together in an effort to complete the mission of colonizing a distant planet our species may call home.

Casting includes Christie Burke, Richard Fleeshman, Reece Ritchie, Stacey Read, Ryan Adams, Christina Wolfe, Shalini Peiris, Miles Barrow, Pavle Jerinić, Tiana Upcheva and Lisa Brenner.

The series was shot in Serbia and will premiere on Syfy in February.

https://www.darkhorizons.com/teaser-trailer-syfys-the-ark-series/

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

So far in S3 of His Dark Materials they have done better than the book by still having Lyra be present at the start as opposed to her just not existing in the plot for several chapters

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

With jetpacks? And a sweet RV? And a talking monkey?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’m four episodes into Y The Last Man, and so far I like it better than the comic. It seems to be making much better use of its premise and setting, actually investigating what it would be like and how people would be affected vs using it at backdrop for varied comedy adventure. Some of the changes reflect how much more insane politics and culture have gotten since 2006.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I AM GRANDO posted:

I’m four episodes into Y The Last Man, and so far I like it better than the comic. It seems to be making much better use of its premise and setting, actually investigating what it would be like and how people would be affected vs using it at backdrop for varied comedy adventure. Some of the changes reflect how much more insane politics and culture have gotten since 2006.

Oh man, I think you might be in the extreme minority there.

I will say that the last episode or so showed promise for what a second season might deliver, and there were a few new things in it I like, particularly the conspiracy theory/cryptid people who were compiling Yorick sightings like he was Bigfoot but of course they were only in like a single scene, but hoo... I thought the show was a complete squandered premise, on the same level as the remake of The Stand. Creamerie and Station Eleven were way better pandemic shows from last year.

I will say, I think the show nailed Dr. Mann, and the core dynamic gets a lot better once she arrives.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

What is with recent shows and filming things in the dark? There were all those issues with HotD and now Willow too.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

https://twitter.com/MilesKlee/status/1600219113326252032

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Very late to the party on this one (I assume any British drama our press likes is poo poo) but This Is Going To Hurt is godamned good.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Chairman Capone posted:

Oh man, I think you might be in the extreme minority there.

I will say that the last episode or so showed promise for what a second season might deliver, and there were a few new things in it I like, particularly the conspiracy theory/cryptid people who were compiling Yorick sightings like he was Bigfoot but of course they were only in like a single scene, but hoo... I thought the show was a complete squandered premise, on the same level as the remake of The Stand. Creamerie and Station Eleven were way better pandemic shows from last year.

I will say, I think the show nailed Dr. Mann, and the core dynamic gets a lot better once she arrives.

Yeah, maybe I should wait to see how it develops.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I definitely recommend Creamerie if you like the world without dudes premise. And Station Eleven is one of the best shows of the last few years full-stop.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I say this from extensive experience as a person in fandoms:

fans tend to be a bunch of loving morons.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The new Y The Last Man made some atrocious choices, but man, the big episode that focuses on Missi Pyle's character shows that it could really have delivered if given the chance.

Creamerie is the better show though with the same template. (Also on Hulu)

Edit: Missi PYLE not Peregrym.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Dec 8, 2022

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Escobarbarian posted:

I definitely recommend Creamerie if you like the world without dudes premise. And Station Eleven is one of the best shows of the last few years full-stop.

I finally got to read the book (it ruled) so now all I gotta do is finish all the other shows I've started and I can finally get around to Station Eleven!

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

I finally got to read the book (it ruled) so now all I gotta do is finish all the other shows I've started and I can finally get around to Station Eleven!

I was gonna ask, has anyone here read the book? For some reason, I'm more interested in reading post-apocalyptic stories than watching them (although not opposed to the latter).

If it's good, I'll jump it to the top of my wishlist!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’ve heard the book is good but almost everyone I know who has consumed the story both ways prefers the show

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

For what it’s worth the author of the novel said she likes the changes to the show too, especially with Jeevan.

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

Lmao realizing 5 episodes in that the kid from White Lotus is freaking Todd from The Magicians

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Read After Burning posted:

I was gonna ask, has anyone here read the book? For some reason, I'm more interested in reading post-apocalyptic stories than watching them (although not opposed to the latter).

If it's good, I'll jump it to the top of my wishlist!

It's a really nicely condensed look at life after (with some flashbacks to life before) the big event that caused everything to change. I really dug it, and especially how it ended, and I'm keen to see what changes the book made.

Ironically, one of my favorite post-apocalyptic/plague stories was The Stand which is loving gigantic, and while I enjoyed the entire book I felt it was strongest in the immediate aftermath of Captain Trips impacting, while with Station Eleven I far preferred the sections in the "future" showing the scattered communities that had formed and were starting to grow (or stagnate) years after it was all over.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
The Station Eleven book is way way way less dramatic than the show and pretty chill, all things considered. The ending is also pretty different iirc.

The show is probably better to be honest. The book isn't bad by any means - the show is just that loving good.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Finally caught up with the rest of the world and watched Our Flag Means Death. Taika Waititi balances freaking scary and funny/sweet so well. I love the relationships between the crew and with the two captains so much. And you goons were right, the writing isn't as solid in the first couple of episodes, but once Blackbeard comes into play, it finds its rhythm and is great.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

External Organs posted:

The Station Eleven book is way way way less dramatic than the show and pretty chill, all things considered. The ending is also pretty different iirc.

The show is probably better to be honest. The book isn't bad by any means - the show is just that loving good.

Yeah the book is definitely way more chill.

Honestly they're just two different experiences and I loved both of them.

While I did think the changes worked for the show... I don't know if I'd ever wish those changes were back in the book. If that makes sense. The changes make sense for a show for sure... But I like some of the disconnected-ness in the book.

The only change I wish was in the book is the cult stuff... It's too boilerplate sex cult stuff in the book. The show made it something different which was way better.

Anyway, Read After Burning , watch the show! I promise it's not what you think.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Escobarbarian posted:

Very late to the party on this one (I assume any British drama our press likes is poo poo) but This Is Going To Hurt is godamned good.

Read the book and while very funny in parts, it was just too depressing for the most part for me to want to watch an adaptation. Also, some of the descriptions of various A&E bods were just nightmare fuel (do NOT do that with a toilet brush, Jesus Christ)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sentinel Red posted:

Read the book and while very funny in parts, it was just too depressing for the most part for me to want to watch an adaptation. Also, some of the descriptions of various A&E bods were just nightmare fuel (do NOT do that with a toilet brush, Jesus Christ)

Completely understandable. It is definitely the most depressing and hard-hitting show I’ve seen in a long time despite the laughs (and I know a spoiler from the penultimate episode that makes one storyline even more emotionally draining), but it’s in service of a very important point and I appreciate that a lot. It’s awful to see how cruel and unfair and stressful it is for them all, and this is set before the Tories spent the last decade-plus dismantling everything.