Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Can't get screenshots right now, but I started with a river source in my play area. And my old free dorffort habits have me insistent on having a well in my meeting area (I liked the old fill space interface for designating bedrooms and such based on a structure or furniture in the space). So now my meeting area is A) on farmable space and B) far as gently caress from my entryway, which isn't bad but it does make stuff take longer to do because Urist has to hustle up the main hallway to get to his workshop.

I also feel like, despite trying otherwise, I made my entryway a deathtrap. I wanted to use arrow slots there but I didn't set it up right for that, so now I feel like my entryway should just have a "goblins welcome" sign hanging from it.

Put my workshops on top of my bedrooms because gently caress any dwarves that think they're sleeping on my watch.

Just general hasty, sloppy layout because I was excited to play the steam release and now I'm getting to the point where I'm actually trying to make long term setups and just going "oh no" every time I gotta place something.

Oh and that kea keeps stealing poo poo. He most recently stole crutches. And I have no huntsdwarves to deal with it because apparently the default group doesn't start with one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Oh poo poo one of my miners got struck by a strange mood.

While gathering fruit, so he appears stuck in a tree.

Several levels up.

What are my options for getting this idiot down, least likely to kill him and/or the woodcutter?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
I must be missing something about burial. I have a coffin in a stockpile and a corpse in a separate stockpile. I have a tomb zone designated. No dwarf seems to want to do anything with either coffin or corpse. Any tips? The wiki has some stuff that doesn't seemingly apply to graphical DF.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
I was playing last night and I went straight to desktop and immediately was like oh gently caress, no it still glitches? Then it turned out it was my buddy requesting me to stream it for him and I easily went back into the game. Hope he bought it after watching me dig out a well and assign work orders, lol.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

chainchompz posted:

I was playing last night and I went straight to desktop and immediately was like oh gently caress, no it still glitches? Then it turned out it was my buddy requesting me to stream it for him and I easily went back into the game. Hope he bought it after watching me dig out a well and assign work orders, lol.

I had an actual hard crash before the autosave was run, rip my first starter fort.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

emdash posted:

I must be missing something about burial. I have a coffin in a stockpile and a corpse in a separate stockpile. I have a tomb zone designated. No dwarf seems to want to do anything with either coffin or corpse. Any tips? The wiki has some stuff that doesn't seemingly apply to graphical DF.

Coffins have to be placed manually. Build -> Furniture -> Coffin.

Speaking of burials, do engraved slabs need to be designated in some way or is it enough to place it somewhere?

PastaBakeWizard
Mar 4, 2020
Do we know what the deal is with update support for the Steam release? Is it a development snapshot or will it be updated to include whatever atomic level madness Toady decides to implement next?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

thunderspanks posted:

Has anyone definitively concluded what labors fall under the new Stonecutter and Stone Carver skills yet?

I love what's been done so far with labor management but boy howdy does it have a long way to go.
edit: a minute after posting this I found some reddit posts that shed a bit of light on it:

what a mess

Ok I'm gonna have to restart my fort then. 🙃

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Like I mostly like alot of the changes, but some of the labor changes and job stuff is a deal breaker for me.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Peewi posted:

Coffins have to be placed manually. Build -> Furniture -> Coffin.

Ah that makes sense. Thanks.

Another question now that I think of it. I have a seriously injured dwarf who lost the ability to walk while fighting a giant raven. There are crutches around in my fort and I have a medical dwarf assigned (don’t even really know what this does), but no one seems to help her out. What can I do for that?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

thunderspanks posted:

Has anyone definitively concluded what labors fall under the new Stonecutter and Stone Carver skills yet?

I love what's been done so far with labor management but boy howdy does it have a long way to go.
edit: a minute after posting this I found some reddit posts that shed a bit of light on it:

what a mess

this is actually a sort of backhanded QoL improvement lol

it used to be that if you wanted the bulk of your fortress to contribute to constructing buildings out of stone or stone blocks, you had to give them the Mason labor, but then forbid your actual Mason's Workshop because otherwise they'd get in there and start making lovely quality goods and blocking your actually-skilled Mason

splitting the skill off completely into an exclusive "drags stone building materials around" job kind of makes sense from that perspective

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Is there anyway to tell my miner, yea you can haul but only after every mining job is finished?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I think you need to set up a hospital. Be sure you have a water source first as laid up dwarfs are not going to get up and liquor up, but will prefer to die of thirst is their sickbed.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Wait so who makes stone blocks now?

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

PastaBakeWizard posted:

Do we know what the deal is with update support for the Steam release? Is it a development snapshot or will it be updated to include whatever atomic level madness Toady decides to implement next?

I'm hoping they did something to make this easier, like decoupling the UI from the simulation in some way so that it's relatively easy for them to keep them up to date with each other. On the other hand, based on previous descriptions of the horror of dwarf fortress's code I imagine the worst case is Tarn just has two folders "Dwarf Fortress" and "Dwarf Fortress - Copy" and he's manually copying changes between the two.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Just Chamber posted:

Is there anyway to tell my miner, yea you can haul but only after every mining job is finished?

In the advanced options in the mining tab you can set a priority, but my gut tells me that is only priority vs other mining designations.

A Rimworld like labor tab where you both assign allowed jobs and their priority would be aces.

I was able to get my moody miner out of a tree, which also resolved my terrible framerate. Looks like he was constantly trying to pathfind to whichever place he has chosen for his mood and wasn't taking no for an answer, absolutely destroying my frames in the process.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Arrath posted:

In the advanced options in the mining tab you can set a priority, but my gut tells me that is only priority vs other mining designations.

A Rimworld like labor tab where you both assign allowed jobs and their priority would be aces.

I was able to get my moody miner out of a tree, which also resolved my terrible framerate. Looks like he was constantly trying to pathfind to whichever place he has chosen for his mood and wasn't taking no for an answer, absolutely destroying my frames in the process.

It does seem to work over other labor when I set it to 1. I wonder if all other labor has a default priority, but I guess that also makes me worried that if like Rimworld, I can give things priority 1 and they will literally keep doing that poo poo till they die because eating, sleeping, recovering from a horrible wound is priority 4 or whatever.(I dunno if rimworld still does that, but I recall it seeming like an intentional feature but easy to hit pitfall if you didn't realize it)

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Does anybody already know what setting the Economy to "hard" actually does?

Anyways, I built my first fort. Nice temperate, but snowy place.
Started digging down a nice big staircase system next to my wagon and started digging out my first corridors.
Also built a carpenters workshop next to the entrance to start on making beds. The nearest material available was ice. I should have become suspicious there.

After less then a month the snow melted. And the first layer of my staircase melted. The water of the small pond it was sitting in went down into my staircase and the planned dormitory is now under water.

I dug sideways from the first dry layer to build the real fortress and designated the old stairwell as a water source.

Then it started raining. The pond refilled and the water flowed down the staircase, again. Luckily it didn't even completely cover my farming space and it didn't go down into the fortress. Time to put some hatch covers on top.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

so corpse just visited my fort.

Dark Off fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Dec 7, 2022

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

VictualSquid posted:

Also built a carpenters workshop next to the entrance to start on making beds. The nearest material available was ice. I should have become suspicious there.

Did the workshop melt?

"huh, a dead bird."

"huh, a big dead bird"

"huh, it's raining"

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Dec 7, 2022

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I didn't notice I was on the 'auto' designation when I asked my miners to expand my tavern.

In the middle of a clay seam. :v:

I now have a very, very large tavern.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Man the key commands seem bizarre now that they aren't your only way of interacting with the game.

What do you mean that to place a door, perhaps the most common item in the game, it's b - p - r. Only one of my hands is on the keyboard now, I can't be doing letters all over the place.

Is there a way to place multiples of one object in the new system?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

CuddleCryptid posted:

Man the key commands seem bizarre now that they aren't your only way of interacting with the game.

What do you mean that to place a door, perhaps the most common item in the game, it's b - p - r. Only one of my hands is on the keyboard now, I can't be doing letters all over the place.

Tick the continue placing checkbox

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

DaysBefore posted:

Okay weird, I'm definitely making barrels. But the options for making booze are unavailable because I lack a food storage item. But I also have a chef dwarf churning out hundreds of meals so maybe he's sucking up all the barrels.

7 8 pages ago, sorry, but you don't have private messages.
Could it be a burrow issue where the brewer can't reach any barrels?
Is there a stockpile the brewer can place barrels with booze in? (It should default to clutter the workshop if not.)

A 9 year old reddit comment with the same issue says:
Most likely it's because only one barrel can be used at a time by a single stockpile. Only one job being generated = only one dwarf collecting food in a barrel = food production outpacing food storage. The best thing to do is to split the single stockpile into many smaller ones; that way, more than one dwarf will be hauling food at a time.

Maybe a kind Goon who is not at work right now can screenshot their booze production setup?

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

CuddleCryptid posted:

When you place there is a checkbox that lets you do multiple.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

kdrudy posted:

When you place there is a checkbox that lets you do multiple.

Awesome, thanks

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

CuddleCryptid posted:

Yeah some of the hotkeys are a little bit rough.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

God drat local fauna aggression got dialled up to 11 since last I played. Constant stream of "<My animal or dwarf> is attacking <local fauna>" ad nauseam. I don't know how to stop my idiots from jumping headlong into fights they can't win or risk getting infected from. Also, when it comes to trading / embarking, is there a faster way to take stuff rather than clicking a million times to increase the value?

Also yes, keyboard shortcuts should more aptly be named keyboard longcuts. Having your left hand on the keyboard makes a lot of these shortcuts take longer than just using the mouse lol

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
Yeah I think the one thing I want is an option to disable WASD movement and go back to classic controls completely.

There’s at least the classic cursor option while building, but things like “lay a block for digging and then erase some pieces” are frustrating because you leave “build mode” and the cursor location resets!

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i think you don't even need farms, you can just sustain a fort entirely off like three pear trees. rimworld made me forget how ludicrously bountiful basically every method except maybe hunting is.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I’m not making my dwarves hang out on the surface are you nuts!???

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Tiler Kiwi posted:

i think you don't even need farms, you can just sustain a fort entirely off like three pear trees. rimworld made me forget how ludicrously bountiful basically every method except maybe hunting is.

I keep making 6 X 6 farms for specific crops just to have them half full, maybe, because I don't have 30 bags of seeds of every type. I do not plan to stop. What if I suddenly come across a trader with nothing but plump helmet seeds, I would have to uproot the whole system?

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

necrotic posted:

I’m not making my dwarves hang out on the surface are you nuts!???

What? You don't like vomit trails in and out of your fortress?

A fun detail from my old fotresses was when goblins would attack and I'd decide to fight them off instead of just waiting them out. I'd send out my dwarves to fight them and they'd all start vomiting from the sun. The thought of them charging out of this pitch black cave entrance while projectile vomiting in place of a war cry is amusing.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I actually do usually make a statue garden at the surface so most of my dwarves don’t get the sickness.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
well i fumbled through the first two years of my tutorial game. I couldn't attract any immigrants for like five straight seasons, then I got attacked by like four giant ravens at once and my already banged-up squad of crossbow dwarves was not enough

Will have to make my next fort more appealing I guess!

Cholfo
Sep 16, 2007
Anyone figured out how to set squad/hunter ammo types yet? Don't want my nice steel and iron bolts shot into archery targets, and shooting bears with wooden bolts is getting my hunters mauled. Doesn't seem to be an option in the military or uniform menus, not sure if I'm missing something or if the feature just got lost in the update.

Cholfo fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Dec 7, 2022

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

I struck the earth on the first fort in The Enchanted Planet and ran through the tutorial. I avoided burrowing into a frozen river and drowning my dwarves but that smug feeling didn't last for long. Rather than anything dramatic, the fall of Anvilcharms came about due to a bunch of these assholes:

The summer passed without incident and a lucky discovery of a trove of gems set the fort in good stead when the autumn caravan arrived. But as autumn turned to winter, the half-dozen agitated giant wrens that roamed the skies began to grow desperate for food. It was a blessing that they never thought to attack as a swarm, only sending lone birds down to strike and harass the dwarves who ventured above ground. One missing child turned into two; a militia was formed and set to guard the entrance to the fort. Lacking ranged weapons, the dwarves seized on the only method to hand: wait for a hungry wren to swoop down and then tackle it as a group, surrounding it and beating/choking it to death. It was never a fast death and every attack left the militia a little more bloodied. For every wren that fell, another flew in from neighbouring lands, sometimes joined by eagles or hawks.

A pair of bearpeople attacked as winter turned to spring but that was a mercy in comparison to the death from above; though they struck down a dwarf in the first moments of battle, they at least could not fly away.

The attacks continued into the second summer, always present, always striking or threatening to strike. Work ground to a halt due to constant interruptions; efforts to build crossbows proved fruitless. The dwarves retreated underground but still, impossibly, the attacks continued. It took me one death too many to realise my mistake.

A single hole in the dining room ceiling, left over from the roots of a felled tree on the plains above and hidden in the grass, let the flock inside, straight past the watchful eyes of the guards on the entrance. They reposition but too slowly; by the time they beat the last wren to death in the kitchen, there wasn't a single dwarf - adult or child - who wasn't gravely wounded. One by one, dwarves retreated to their beds and waited for the end.

And the champion of Anvilcharms? It wasn't the expedition leader or militia commander. It was Kol Brushinks, a 2 year old Cavy boar. In its loyal defence of its master, it threw itself against the wrens again and again, stunning them and allowing the dwarves to close in.

But eventually the weight of battle pressed down just a little too hard on the small creature.

A few broken souls still wander the halls of Anvilcharms and there are rumours of a relief expedition ever on the horizon. Too late, though, for Kol.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Is there a way to import the old world pre-gens back?
Thinking of the ones made for masterwork specifically.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

A bushtit grabbed a child by the big toe and swung him around until his skull collapsed.

I've lost a dozen dwarves to bullshit bushtits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

FFT posted:

Yeah, you can click it

Is it disabled in the tutorial, though?