Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
This is a dumb question but I'm going to ask it anyway. Can critical electrical infrastructure just be covered with some kind of metal shield? Like I don't think it has to be incredibly thick to stop the type of bullets that chuds will be shooting at them. It seems like these things are just sitting ducks and unless the government wants to have guards watching them 24/7 then this problem will most likely get worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Charliegrs posted:

This is a dumb question but I'm going to ask it anyway. Can critical electrical infrastructure just be covered with some kind of metal shield? Like I don't think it has to be incredibly thick to stop the type of bullets that chuds will be shooting at them. It seems like these things are just sitting ducks and unless the government wants to have guards watching them 24/7 then this problem will most likely get worse.
That would be huge effort and expense. It would be cheaper at that point to just station guards.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
It would be extremely dumb and impractical to cover all the billions of bits of critical infrastructure in bulletproof shielding. But, America DOES have a solid history of trying dumb and impractical measures instead of addressing its psychotic gun-loving death cult, so you might be on to something

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Trump Org won't be able to finance certain projects or get insurance.

Depending on the details this part might actually do some pretty significant damage.

e: like, I don't know precisely what the Trump org does for most of its income, but there are certainly spaces where "can't get insurance" or "can under no circumstances receive government money" would be an immediate headshot

if nothing else it'll gently caress with Trump stealing secret service money lol

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Dec 6, 2022

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

cat botherer posted:

That would be huge effort and expense. It would be cheaper at that point to just station guards.

Yeah, we already aren't like, able to maintain or overhaul critical infrastructure of many kinds in this country, overhauling and reinforcing all critical electric infrastructure is out of the question I feel.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

But paying guys with guns to just sort of hang around being scary is one of America's core competencies! Heck we could probably get volunteers!

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Charliegrs posted:

They talked about this on Here and Now this morning. Not the bulletproof shielding but this happened before. Apparently just using some concrete walls or sandbags is good enough to protect this infrastructure.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

projecthalaxy posted:

But paying guys with guns to just sort of hang around being scary is one of America's core competencies! Heck we could probably get volunteers!

I feel like kind of people who would volunteer to stand around looking scary with guns are the same types that would shoot up electrical infrastructure.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Has Trump already stated that he barely knew the Trump organization, that it used to deliver him coffee but he never liked it?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Charliegrs posted:

I feel like kind of people who would volunteer to stand around looking scary with guns are the same types that would shoot up electrical infrastructure.

Oh completely, but we have to be surprised and grave each time it happens and add a little funding to the Transformer Terror Team thats how this works

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Jaxyon posted:

Has Trump already stated that he barely knew the Trump organization, that it used to deliver him coffee but he never liked it?

Close.

He has claimed that the CFO only flipped to lower his own sentence and that he did it all behind Trump's back because he wasn't a part of the daily business.

And the entire case was a politically motivated attack by New York Democrats.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Close.

He has claimed that the CFO only flipped to lower his own sentence and that he did it all behind Trump's back because he wasn't a part of the daily business.

And that they were just little crimes anyway that might not even be real things why are you bothering when THERE'S ALL THE MURDER HAPPENING?!

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Close.

It's like loving clockwork

You remember when it was this running joke that trump was "increasingly isolated" all the time like a shepard tone, constantly more isolated but still somehow more centrally empowered to make life worse for everybody

When does that totally break. When does he get actually put out to pasture in his personal life too

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Failed Imagineer posted:

It would be extremely dumb and impractical to cover all the billions of bits of critical infrastructure in bulletproof shielding. But, America DOES have a solid history of trying dumb and impractical measures instead of addressing its psychotic gun-loving death cult, so you might be on to something

I've seen bullet proof control boxes and other things to minimize the danger but it's not common. Equipment can be installed underground if you're willing to spend a ton of money but most of the time they put concrete walls up. Primarily to protect from when adjacent equipment goes bang.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

SpeedFreek posted:

I've seen bullet proof control boxes and other things to minimize the danger but it's not common. Equipment can be installed underground if you're willing to spend a ton of money but most of the time they put concrete walls up. Primarily to protect from when adjacent equipment goes bang.

yeah dual use solutions seem pretty reasonable, based on my similar personal understanding about Road poo poo

it's not like transformers and such DON'T occasionally decide to just explode

if this pushes some microeconomists over the Y/N cost benefit line, then fine

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

cat botherer posted:

You are mistaken.

Improved physical security standards were issued after the 2013 substation attack in CA iirc.

Additionally, if I remember right, the transformers in the 2013 case were shot through a chain link fence, so replacing it with a block wall was a step taken.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Imagine being the elected leaders of the party of "law and order" and having law enforcements family refuse your hand shake like Kevin and Mitch. Not only that but then the mother goes on CNN and just power dunks on them. Quality stuff. :unsmith:

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

DeadlyMuffin posted:

You are mistaken.

Improved physical security standards were issued after the 2013 substation attack in CA iirc.

Additionally, if I remember right, the transformers in the 2013 case were shot through a chain link fence, so replacing it with a block wall was a step taken.
Let’s hope the baddies don’t have access to ladder technology, making our cinder block countermeasures useless.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
It's really just a social contract and mutual interest that's keeping infrastructure intact, not any defenses built around it. Making it not casually easy to destroy gives some benefit, but generally there's no feasible way to protect an entire nation of infrastructure, particularly not in a country as spread out as the US... hence why it's a target of terrorism.

Plus there's the reality that blowing up the power grid for an area really is not going to endear you to the people who live there.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
I like to think this is relevant to the ongoing discussion we've been having on if/when Trump will ever face legal consequences.

https://twitter.com/CalebMelby/stat...oKL_X6syTIBX0FE

The way our legal and economic system work is that sometimes what hurts you comes from the weirdest poo poo.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Eric Cantonese posted:

I like to think this is relevant to the ongoing discussion we've been having on if/when Trump will ever face legal consequences.

https://twitter.com/CalebMelby/stat...oKL_X6syTIBX0FE

The way our legal and economic system work is that sometimes what hurts you comes from the weirdest poo poo.

Something something Al Capone and tax evasion.

Staluigi posted:

It's like loving clockwork

You remember when it was this running joke that trump was "increasingly isolated" all the time like a shepard tone, constantly more isolated but still somehow more centrally empowered to make life worse for everybody

When does that totally break. When does he get actually put out to pasture in his personal life too

This should make it easier for more lawsuits and charges for Trump's people, if not Trump himself. We're already talking about a political operation where his campaign manager's career ended like an episode of COPS. There's smoke coming out the side of the ship. Smart, above-board people don't work for Trump.

Republicans will probably still try to carry him through the primaries until it's truly impossible, though.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Juul settled all of their lawsuits about marketing to kids for an undisclosed amount.

They already paid just under half a billion in fines and government lawsuits already.

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1600314420126781441

quote:

E-cigarette company Juul announced on Tuesday it has settled more than 5,000 lawsuits for an undisclosed amount after claims mounted over Juul’s marketing practices and plagued the company’s finances.

The company said the global settlements resolve claims with roughly 10,000 plaintiffs who filed suits in recent months and nearly led Juul to bankruptcy, including personal injury claims as well as settlements with a consumer class action, local government entities and Native American tribes.

“The scope of these suits is enormous,” Lieff Cabraser, a co-lead counsel for the plaintiffs, said in a statement. “These settlements will put meaningful compensation in hands of victims and their families, get real funds to schools for abatement programs and help government and tribal entities prevent youth use of e-cigarettes across the U.S.”

The company had increasingly come under fire after an investigation found the e-cigarette company deliberately engaged in an advertising campaign that appealed to youth, and Juul has also settled with more than 30 states and territories over the issues that amount to nearly $440 million.

Multiple state attorneys general on Tuesday announced they had formally entered into that agreement, which was agreed in principle in September, touting funds recovered for their states.

Those settlements also require Juul to change its marketing practices.

Juul said it was legally barred from disclosing the settlement amount for the other groups but indicated in its statement that it has secured an equity investment to fund the new resolution.

“These settlements represent a major step toward strengthening Juul Labs’ operations and securing the company’s path forward to fulfill its mission to transition adult smokers away from combustible cigarettes while combating underage use,” the company said.

Juul, which became an independent company in 2017, was once the leading vaping product and became a popular brand among teens.

But the company has since been embroiled in legal and regulatory battles, and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) sought to remove Juul’s vaping products from the market entirely over the summer. A federal appeals court blocked that FDA order the next day.

The company nearly filed for bankruptcy, but in recent days it found a way to avoid doing so through layoffs and a cash infusion from early investors.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Juul settled all of their lawsuits about marketing to kids for an undisclosed amount.

They already paid just under half a billion in fines and government lawsuits already.

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1600314420126781441

The fact that they were able to raise the cash infusion tells us that they believe they're still going to be able to, among other things, get kids.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Still ridiculous that this race was ever close enough to go to runoff, but with the modern GOP it doesn't seem to matter half the time how poo poo the candidate is

https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1600317857081872384?s=20&t=ZeBShzM-FwNzFkuyh11_6w

Kale
May 14, 2010

Gotta love the fact that the math seems so certain in Atlanta that they can call it while Walker is in the lead for votes tallied.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

It would be interesting to go back to 2004 and tell someone that Democrats easily won both Senate seats in Arizona, Georgia, and Colorado, but they have lost Wisconsin 3 elections in a row, almost tied in New York, lost Pennsylvania twice, lost Iowa by 13 points, and lost Florida by 16 points.

(Also, that there has been a black President, Donald Trump was President, there was a global plague, and two "once in a lifetime" global economic crises in a little over 10 years.)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The majority of the outstanding votes are in heavy Dem strongholds and Walker is underperforming overall compared to last month.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It would be interesting to go back to 2004 and tell someone that Democrats easily won both Senate seats in Arizona, Georgia, and Colorado, but they have lost Wisconsin 3 elections in a row, almost tied in New York, lost Pennsylvania twice, and lost Florida by 16 points.

(Also, that there has been a black President, Donald Trump was President, there was a global plague, and two "once in a lifetime" global economic crises in a little over 10 years.)
So 2022 is now the first time in a midterm since 1934 that the party in power defended all of their Senate seats

Kale
May 14, 2010

It would be interesting to go back to 2004 and tell someone that Democrats easily won both Senate seats in Arizona, Georgia, and Colorado, but they have lost Wisconsin 3 elections in a row, almost tied in New York, lost Pennsylvania twice, lost Iowa by 13 points, and lost Florida by 16 points.

The Donald Trump insanely bad candidate train was something I wouldn't have even predicted a year ago. The fact that they convince themselves it's just all one big conspiracy and keep doubling down too has been a ride over the last 4 years. Did they even get any of their election denying guys into the offices they'd need to be to subvert democracy and just swap electoral votes to Republican candidates or did that fall short as well. It doesn't seem like they got any shithead QAnon governor or secretaries of state candidates in the key swing states.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Black swan events are normal? Gonna start betting green on roulette more often if that universe is true.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Plus there's the reality that blowing up the power grid for an area really is not going to endear you to the people who live there.

The way people's realities are diverging along political lines, we probably aren't too far away from some loon expecting a parade after some terroristic attack to own the libs.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Charliegrs posted:

A lot of tier 1 substations did line of sight studies and installed concrete perimeter walls, typically precast panels like you see along highways. The cost for the CIP14 security upgrades at a single substation is easily into eight figures.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

DeadlyMuffin posted:

You are mistaken.

Precast concrete walls at that specific site, but yeah. Before that it was just chain link. In the incident video, you can see rounds sparking off the fence as they shoot through. It activated their fence detection system which moved the camera over to record where the shots were striking, but the fiber cables were cut so no alarms were sent out. It was the power plant across the street that called in reports of gun shots.

The transformers themselves are like 2"thick steel. They shot the much thinner metal radiators which allowed thousands of gallons of coolant to leak out, causing the equipment failures. They also shot out control circuitry in an attempt to prevent safe shutdown and rerouting of power but thankfully didn't do enough..

e: standards were increased nationally, NERC CIP14 for perimeter and CIP5 for access control to bulk electric system facilities.

brugroffil fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Dec 7, 2022

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

BlueBlazer posted:

Black swan events are normal? Gonna start betting green on roulette more often if that universe is true.

Doesn't mean much when black swan event is basically literally anything actually happening in what's supposed to be the End of History.

Kale
May 14, 2010

I could probably go out and randomly endorse 30ish political candidates across America and have a better batting average than Donald Trump at the general election level and I'm not even American or a former president whose party has sworn absolute loyalty to me while I shitpost about stuff that happened 2 years ago on a 3rd rate social media app and drink diet cokes.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Doesn't mean much when black swan event is basically literally anything actually happening in what's supposed to be the End of History.

Taleb, who came up with the term "Black Swan," once complained that people tend to call incredibly bad things that happened Black Swans even though they were actually predictable and the probability of them happening should have been expected if you actually cared about risk management.

https://twitter.com/nntaleb/status/1545127907659505664?lang=en

People basically try to excuse inertia by claiming unpredictability.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Looks like Trump's lawyers aren't convinced that all classified materials have been turned over to the DoJ.

CNN posted:

Lawyers for former President Donald Trump recently hired a team to search four of his properties for any potentially remaining classified materials, according to a source familiar the matter.

The team of two searched Trump Tower in New York, the Bedminster golf club and two other properties amid lingering concerns from the Justice Department that not all documents had been returned to the federal government.

The four searches, which were carried out in recent weeks, were overseen by Trump’s legal team, the source said. Trump’s attorneys offered to let federal investigators observe the search at his Bedminster property, but that offer was declined. Given the Justice Department’s response, Trump lawyers did not make a similar offer for the search of the other properties.

If you'll recall, one of Trump's lawyers (or not-lawyers? I can't remember offhand) certified that all classified materials had been turned over prior to the MaL search. This reads to me like it's the lawyers covering their own asses (and Trump's), but I could be wrong.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

A federal judge ordered them to have the search done, and it was completed by an "outside team".

For whatever any of that is worth, which may not be much. If they attest to the DOJ that they didn't find anything, they'll just issue a search warrant because they know exactly what they're still missing.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Shooting Blanks posted:

Looks like Trump's lawyers aren't convinced that all classified materials have been turned over to the DoJ.

If you'll recall, one of Trump's lawyers (or not-lawyers? I can't remember offhand) certified that all classified materials had been turned over prior to the MaL search. This reads to me like it's the lawyers covering their own asses (and Trump's), but I could be wrong.

Of course they weren't all turned over. There were a bunch of empty folders discovered and nothing indicated that all of the contents which were supposed to be in there were found among the materials seized from Mar-a-Lago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Something something Al Capone and tax evasion.

its actually more complicated then that but yeah sorta. capone was very trump like and was a big narsstic dickhead who loved to gently caress around with the media and bitch and whine about how people were persecuting him and poo poo, other mobsters started to hate him because he brought way way to much heat and national press, espcially after saint valentines day, the tax stuff was a plan b when other stuff fell though or had issues during a trial and Capone hosed up because he had the brain a child because syphisis.

https://www.amazon.com/Scarface-Unt...la-763547361516

good book on it.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Dec 7, 2022