Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

pik_d posted:

Should I be watching the movie Willow before the series?

The show uses footage from the movie in flashbacks to fill you in a couple of times, and tells you anything you need to know from the movie. Also the focus so far has largely been on the new characters. So, while keeping in mind that this opinion is only from having watched the first two episodes, I think you're fine if you don't want to watch the movie.

But it certainly wouldn't hurt, as they're definitely referring to it a lot.

Azhais posted:

That depends, do you want to see a young hot Kilmer?

That's a good point. It may be Kilmer at the height of his hotness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

thrawn527 posted:

The show uses footage from the movie in flashbacks to fill you in a couple of times, and tells you anything you need to know from the movie. Also the focus so far has largely been on the new characters. So, while keeping in mind that this opinion is only from having watched the first two episodes, I think you're fine if you don't want to watch the movie.

But it certainly wouldn't hurt, as they're definitely referring to it a lot.

That's a good point. It may be Kilmer at the height of his hotness.

True. Although there's serious competition from Real Genius Kilmer.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Everyone posted:

True. Although there's serious competition from Real Genius Kilmer.

Hmmm. That's a drat good point.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
How does Real Genius hold up as to problematic stuff. I remember loving it, but I loved Revenge of the Nerds too, and welp

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
https://twitter.com/kortizart/status/1598800231680086016?s=61&t=O6-W39QJEfY6tmPPSY-X4w

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Soonmot posted:

How does Real Genius hold up as to problematic stuff. I remember loving it, but I loved Revenge of the Nerds too, and welp

I haven't watched it very recently but I think it holds up alright

I don't remember any comedic rape at least

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

TIP posted:

I haven't watched it very recently but I think it holds up alright

I don't remember any comedic rape at least

low loving bar to clear but that's the 80's for you

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I watched it recently and I don't recall anything terribly offensive. The only things I can recall at all are 1) the obligatory hot beauticians brought in for a party and 2) the laser infomercial vaporizing Generic Arab Man(tm). Neither of which even really tip the scale by 80s comedy standards

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Soonmot posted:

I haven't seen it in some years, but believe it holds up better than a lot of 80s films.

This post digs into some details:
https://www.tor.com/2015/05/21/30-years-later-real-genius-is-still-the-geek-solidarity-film-that-nerd-culture-deserves/

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Quinton posted:

I haven't seen it in some years, but believe it holds up better than a lot of 80s films.

This post digs into some details:
https://www.tor.com/2015/05/21/30-years-later-real-genius-is-still-the-geek-solidarity-film-that-nerd-culture-deserves/

I admit that I still have something of a crush on Michelle Meyrink as Jordan.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Remember when Loki (really only a few days ago from his point of view) wanted to enslave all of humanity and was compared to Hitler?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

PriorMarcus posted:

Remember when Loki (really only a few days ago from his point of view) wanted to enslave all of humanity and was compared to Hitler?

Yeah this is very much shades of "even DOOM sheds a tear for 9/11"

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
he had watched the tape of his future life and become our lovable scamp by that point

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Mameluke posted:

he had watched the tape of his future life and become our lovable scamp by that point

To be fair, in the scenes before that, Loki had it firmly established for him and the audience that all this time travel/timeline fuckery is very real and dwarfs even the power of the Infinity Stones. So, while it is lazy-ish writing, at least there’s an attempt to lend gravitas to Loki’s viewing of the “this is your life” film. Clever-lazy? I think it ‘works’, but you’re right, it’s unsatisfactory.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Marsupial Ape posted:

To be fair, in the scenes before that, Loki had it firmly established for him and the audience that all this time travel/timeline fuckery is very real and dwarfs even the power of the Infinity Stones. So, while it is lazy-ish writing, at least there’s an attempt to lend gravitas to Loki’s viewing of the “this is your life” film. Clever-lazy? I think it ‘works’, but you’re right, it’s unsatisfactory.

Also, they had six episodes to tell this part of the story and they didn't want to spend 3-5 of them with Loki as a homicidal would-be enslaver. So they speedran his moral development.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Considering that time doesn't exist in the TVA, just assume he spent years watching that video.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

It’s also Loki experiencing the worst possible repudiation of his philosophy. He just learned he’s always destined in every universe to be a failure and die, and the TVA prunes any possible differences. He’s a loser and the universe is conspiring to ensure he always is.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

It’s also Loki experiencing the worst possible repudiation of his philosophy. He just learned he’s always destined in every universe to be a failure and die, and the TVA prunes any possible differences. He’s a loser and the universe is conspiring to ensure he always is.

And that anytime he made any other choice say to not try to enslave humanity, he was pruned.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/jamesgunn/status/1596623640958640128?s=46&t=ujn-kZq9bF1afiwzosKNKg

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
Nebula is a post “I literally murdered a worse previous version of myself” woman. Bucky was never gonna keep that arm.

Also, I am team Nebula/Valkyrie.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Soonmot posted:

Is there no thread for the Willow series on D+? First two episodes were lots of fun.
Yeah this was extremely my jam :allears:. I didn't even remember anything about the original, but I was all in for the high fantasy YA poo poo here.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/jamesgunn/status/1596631007452692480?s=46&t=6F2qmWuToRBsCaIgrqqIrQ

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

drat, I was riding the "Oh, they FUCKIN'" train. Thanks for wrecking it, Gunn.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

ApeHawk posted:

Christmas Spirit is what Bucky calls his dick. The dream lives.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/ironwhovian/status/1597297386065661952?s=46&t=tIZAcCIPs2lBpZt5fGn3NQ

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

ApeHawk posted:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Okay, it’s official, I love James Gunn.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

James Gunn is ready good at pulling off ideas that probably shouldn’t work. His sets are also known in the industry as very positive and fun and he likes giving new actors a chance with his own training. Bautista and Cena became good actors through his lessons.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Just got around to watching the Holiday Special and that was lots of fun. I liked Mantis in GOTG 2 but thought she needed more time to shine so I was glad that she got it in this. That first family taking a picture with Drax only to walk away thinking he was dressed as Kratos was pretty great.

ashpanash posted:

Granddad you mean?

So I don't remember where I read this and I could be entirely wrong here, but I seem to remember James Gunn saying something like Peter for various (perhaps PTSD-related) reasons hates Earth. When he was stuck on Earth at the end of Endgame he couldn't wait to get off. He finds it repulsive, sort of like how I find Florida

I could see that. I mean his last memory of Earth is his mom dying (and of course there was probably a long cycle of her getting worse/sicker until the end) and then getting kidnapped. He's got nothing holding him there since his only relatives looked to be much older (and thus honestly have a high chance of being dead when he gets back) and he's got a whole universe to explore without bad memories.

Ah, as soon as I saw the animated segment I thought it was aping some obscure Christmas special I haven't seen but just Bakshi in general is nice too.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

TwoPair posted:

Ah, as soon as I saw the animated segment I thought it was aping some obscure Christmas special I haven't seen but just Bakshi in general is nice too.

star wars christmas special had some bakshi-ish animation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UC2Q6ANLXQ0

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
I prefer to believe Nebula hosed her way through the Dora Milaje until she learned the secret “touch here to make arm pop off” trick. I can’t believe we aren’t referencing that fight scene.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Marsupial Ape posted:

I prefer to believe Nebula hosed her way through the Dora Milaje until she learned the secret “touch here to make arm pop off” trick. I can’t believe we aren’t referencing that fight scene.

He's just so stunned when it happens :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yue4-sSGyYY

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-features/james-gunn-guardians-of-the-galaxy-holiday-special-1235265608/

Along with writing the Holiday Special in a few hours, Gunn reveals that the special was shot simultaneously with GOTG 3 so all of the sets for Knowhere and the Bowie are the same. The Bowie is a 4-story practical ship set.

quote:

Besides buying their records at Amoeba, can you share your history with the Old 97’s?

They’ve been my favorite band since the ‘90s, and I’ve seen them in concert a billion times. I met [lead vocalist] Rhett Miller in 2005 because I put an Old 97’s song at the end of Slither, my first movie. It plays over the end credits, and Rhett and I have stayed in touch ever since then. And so I started writing this song for the beginning [of the special], “I Don’t Know What Christmas Is (But Christmastime Is Here).” So I had all these lyrics for it, and it kept changing. I walked around my house, singing into my iPhone and trying to figure out how the song was going to work. And finally, I approached Rhett and asked, “Will you help me write this song? Because I can’t do it by myself.” And he said, “Absolutely.” And so we started sending tons of recordings and lyrics back and forth, and we wrote that song together.

And after we wrote that song, I was like, “Why don’t you guys play this alien band? Why don’t you come on set and act?” And he was like, “Okay.” And then we took a previous song that they had recorded, and they re-recorded it with Kevin Bacon for the end of the show. So Rhett had to act, and he’s never really acted before. He said, “I’m really nervous about it. I don’t know what to do.” So I said, “This is like when I saw the Doobie Brothers on What’s Happening!! when I was a kid. They were terrible actors, but that almost added to the charm. So if you’re a terrible actor, it’s going to be just fine. I don’t care if you’re a terrible actor.” And instead, he was great. He’s great in the role. So the whole thing was really a joy.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
I will say that the guys in the alien band did an excellent job of emoting under all that makeup. They legit looked like happy space guys and not actors in heavy prosthetics smiling weird so the makeup doesn’t fail.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

Marsupial Ape posted:

I will say that the guys in the alien band did an excellent job of emoting under all that makeup. They legit looked like happy space guys and not actors in heavy prosthetics smiling weird so the makeup doesn’t fail.

Yeah, I really liked the band in all their makeup, and the music was good. I thought the lead for the band did a great job with the few lines he had. I thought it was amusing having aliens infatuated with weird human music and culture.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Marsupial Ape posted:

Yeah, they actually did play in the makeup on set.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

https://twitter.com/realscreengeek/status/1601342763580420097?s=46&t=XF7R-1fItuzU994C25Z8tA

Well poo poo.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

This is why Marvel usually kills the parents

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Yikes