Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

One of the reasons I'm convinced that I've taken so easily to a lot of Linux is that it reminds me so much of the way computing was when I was little (in a good way), typing commands in the DOS prompt.

This is absolutely true for me. The CLI is just more comfortable for me, and I am pretty sure its because I was a DOS kid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I do remember when machines started to boot into Windows by default and you had to exit Windows to play your DOS games. That's the first time I found Windows a pain in the arse.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Tesseraction posted:

I do remember when machines started to boot into Windows by default and you had to exit Windows to play your DOS games. That's the first time I found Windows a pain in the arse.

I had a menu in AUTOEXEC.BAT to choose to boot to into windows, DOS, or DOS with very minimal stuff on "conventional memory" so I could run heavier games

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
You DOS 6.0ers and your "boot menus". Back in my day we had separate boot disks just to deal with lovely memory managers.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

People who want to relive the experience of lovely memory managers can just use Java.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

ExcessBLarg! posted:

You DOS 6.0ers and your "boot menus". Back in my day we had separate boot disks just to deal with lovely memory managers.

config.sys
:negative:

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
So my Arch installation is borked. It hard locked while playing a game, and after rebooting I get a "no key with passphrase found" when I try to decrypt the root partition.

I can decrypt it fine when using a live USB, and I can chroot into it.

My guess is an encryption header got hosed up.

What should I do from here?

E: gently caress. Seems bad.. I tried
# mkinitcpio -p linux

And I get errors

Specified kernel image does not exist: /boot/vmlinuz-linux

Edit 2:
# ls /boot

Was empty so I did
# pacman -S linux

That got me past the encryption prompt, but now I see

Failed to start Cryptography Setup

And I'm in emergency mode.

Edit 3: Goddammit! After a reboot I'm back to the original problem... no key available with this passphrase

isaboo fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Dec 6, 2022

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Lmfao.

Now I can't even decrypt from the live USB. I get the same key passphrase error.

E: nevermind. I'm back into a chroot environment but I still don't know how to fix from here

isaboo fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Dec 6, 2022

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

isaboo posted:

Lmfao.

Now I can't even decrypt from the live USB. I get the same key passphrase error.

E: nevermind. I'm back into a chroot environment but I still don't know how to fix from here

Odds are it's easier to just reinstall. Backup <home> (it should have been backed up already), wipe and reinstall. Unless you really want to figure out what really happened, at which point it'd be an interesting forensics operation.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Well, now I can't chroot into anything so I can't access my /home

Whatever mountpoint I try to chroot into it says

/mnt/fuckme/proc: mount point does not exist

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

isaboo posted:

You have a backup of /home already right?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
One thing I'd do is some diagnostics on the drive to make sure the drive itself isn't the problem. This was a thing that happened to me a long time ago: a game I was playing crashed hard and at first I thought the game, or the fact that I hard-reset the PC while the drive activity light was on, had hosed up the drive it was on. But then the whole drive died. It was probably the drive starting to die that caused the crash, not the other way around. (And if I'd moved on that right away I would have been able to save data.)

If you can decrypt the drive from a USB stick then your LUKS header isn't totally hosed, so you might try cyrptsetup repair.

isaboo posted:

Edit 2:
# ls /boot

Was empty so I did
# pacman -S linux

Your /boot is on the EFI partition. If you run full-disk LUKS encryption (or use btrfs for /) the kernel images have to live elsewhere.

So you'd need to mount the EFI into /boot manually when booting & chrooting from a live USB.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

isaboo posted:

You probably know this already, but you don't need to chroot in to back it up - if you can read (some parts of) the file system, you can copy things from it.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I ended up reinstalling and rsync'd my stuff from my backup machine. Lost about a week's worth of data but nothing critical.

I was hoping I could fix it and find out exactly what went wrong but gently caress it.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Rclone is backups

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
rclone looks cool, I'll try that for a while.

what cloud backup service do y'all use/recommend? my backup system is getting long in the tooth so I need a new solution. some lazy googling suggests iDrive is pretty popular and supports ~~linux backup scripts~~

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Please do not use rclone as a backup tool. Its cool af, but its not proper backups.

I mostly use it so I can pull down my cloud document storage to put in my backups, which go somewhere else, and managing a central repo for my docker data dirs

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA
I've been using restic for backups for a little while; it has built in support for using rclone (and thus all that rclone supports) as a backend. Seems to work quite well.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

kujeger posted:

I've been using restic for backups for a little while; it has built in support for using rclone (and thus all that rclone supports) as a backend. Seems to work quite well.

I can see using it as your data transfer/storage backend, but you need something to do versioning and stuff, don't you?

Or did I completely ignore a section of the man page? <.<

I use borgmatic for backups, so I just point it at an ssh path and call it good, then use an rsync script(currently, probably going to set up rclone at some point) to push to an offsite location

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
Sounds like you'd be better off just using restic instead of reinventing the wheel then.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Keito posted:

Sounds like you'd be better off just using restic instead of reinventing the wheel then.

Me?

Probably, but I like reinventing the wheel for my personal use. Its how I learn new approaches

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

RFC2324 posted:

Me?

Probably, but I like reinventing the wheel for my personal use. Its how I learn new approaches

Restic has very strong cryptography (unlike Borg's which is broken), supports backing up multiple hosts per repository (which Borg can't safely do because its crypto is broken), and can interact directly with S3 and various other object storage backends (in addition to being able to use rclone for everything it supports). Pretty much a no-brainer choice IMO.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Keito posted:

Restic has very strong cryptography (unlike Borg's which is broken), supports backing up multiple hosts per repository (which Borg can't safely do because its crypto is broken), and can interact directly with S3 and various other object storage backends (in addition to being able to use rclone for everything it supports). Pretty much a no-brainer choice IMO.

And if I was dealing with it in my day job as a linux admin, I wouldn't be using borg, I would be using something that isn't made of chewing gum and spit.

Don't mistake my hobby crap for the extent of my knowledge, its just a way to try breaking poo poo in new and exciting ways.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I use Duplicati to backup my home server
I use Deja Dup on my desktop Fedora install because it's got a flathub version and is trivial to setup that way.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I found a duplicati docker container and couldn't help but laugh.

I thought my poo poo was glued together with the wrong tools

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
How is rclone not a backup? I've recovered drives a couple times with it, it owns and has way more support for hosting providers than anything else last I looked.

Use something with checksumming and recovery locally (like snapraid for a JBOD solution) and your g2g, use rclone to encrypt and ship everything offsite.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
welp. I ran memtest86 and it found thousands of errors.

this whole system is brand new. gently caress. looks like I'll be swapping out RAM sticks.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Try reseating them first, it seems to happen less these days but a long time ago thermal changes in a new system could cause stuff to wiggle and develop poor contacts.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I hate building a new computer I always get something thats a lemon and its a pain in the rear end to figure out.

I had some ram that was causing my computer to shut off and was even draining CMOS somehow that i had to pop it out and back in to get it to see it had power. Passed every test, was common RAM and was on my motherboards compat list.

I eventually tried swapping memory with my wifes new PC and it resolved, her PC never blinked with ny "faulty" ram.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Mr. Crow posted:

I hate building a new computer I always get something thats a lemon and its a pain in the rear end to figure out.

I had some ram that was causing my computer to shut off and was even draining CMOS somehow that i had to pop it out and back in to get it to see it had power. Passed every test, was common RAM and was on my motherboards compat list.

I eventually tried swapping memory with my wifes new PC and it resolved, her PC never blinked with ny "faulty" ram.

I'd guess the mobo was automatically using faulty XMP settings or something like that. My old AM3 board did that when I upgraded the memory, and I had to manually configure the timings to make it work right.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Keito posted:

Does restic produce an end-result that can be mounted / interacted with as a normal filesystem? For personal backups IMO that's a huge advantage, in that you can easily see that your backups are working and like, open a few files to test it. Some years ago I was looking at different backup software (on windows) and turned down duplicati for that reason. (Also because I was doing local backups and duplicati is much more targeted to cloud.)

Anyways, for personal use, the roll-your-own backup solution isn't some terrible idea. Particularly if your encryption needs are more for personal privacy than keeping customer data / HIPA records safe. Like, Borg's encryption isn't "busted" for its intended purpose -- single user backup to an untrusted server. It's no good for multi-user and can't have multiple keys, a limitation doesn't mean it is busted.

The most important thing for backups is doing them regularly or automatically, and the good thing about a roll-your-own is you probably set it up in your own workflow so that you will keep up with it.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Actually, rsync is the ideal backup solution. You don't want to run your versioning on your client machine if you can avoid it.
Just run rsync to copy it to an alternate harddrive or network drive and then use a separate invocation to do the versioning. I use sanoid.
This protects you from all sorts of plausible software related backup corruption issues.

Though I still run my old borg script, to generate a secondary backup of my really important files. Which I then rclone to the cloud.
Hilariously, that repository sits on my rpi. And because the old raspibian only has lovely versions of rclone that don't support my cloud provider, it runs rclone through docker. Setting that up was a dumb evening.

Until not to long ago I used flexbackup, generating tar backups, because I was kinda paranoid about wanting to be able to restore my backups from a generic live-stick without internet connection.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Hrm. I updated the BIOS and the memtest86 found no errors this time. The update had "dram compatibility fixes" listed.

No idea why it flaked out after being built a month ago.

Ah well. So it goes.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Klyith posted:

Does restic produce an end-result that can be mounted / interacted with as a normal filesystem? For personal backups IMO that's a huge advantage, in that you can easily see that your backups are working and like, open a few files to test it. Some years ago I was looking at different backup software (on windows) and turned down duplicati for that reason. (Also because I was doing local backups and duplicati is much more targeted to cloud.)

Yeah you can make restic expose the snapshots via FUSE so you can browse them as a normal filesystem, pretty much the same as Borg does I assume.

Klyith posted:

Like, Borg's encryption isn't "busted" for its intended purpose -- single user backup to an untrusted server. It's no good for multi-user and can't have multiple keys, a limitation doesn't mean it is busted.

It's busted for a single user backup too unless you use a single repository per host you backup. As a good nerd I assume you own more than one computer, right?

If you use a single repo per host then it's fine but you don't get deduplication of backups across hosts as the cost of staying secure.

https://github.com/borgbackup/borg/issues/6229

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Keito posted:

Yeah you can make restic expose the snapshots via FUSE so you can browse them as a normal filesystem, pretty much the same as Borg does I assume.

Neato. It's cool how much linux stuff has "make it mountable" as a core feature.

Keito posted:

It's busted for a single user backup too unless you use a single repository per host you backup. As a good nerd I assume you own more than one computer, right?

If you use a single repo per host then it's fine but you don't get deduplication of backups across hosts as the cost of staying secure.

Yes, but only one of them needs backups. My laptop is a secondary device, anything on it that doesn't sync to the main PC is in the "I don't care about this" bucket. (Actually this is not true anymore, as my laptop is still running windows and since switching over to linux on the main PC I haven't done anything to fix that.)

But even for someone with a more complicated setup, it seems axiomatic to me that if you need de-duplication then you also need syncing. And thus you should sync data before backup, so you only need one backup. Or if you need de-duplication of static data -- a movie that's on both your laptop and NAS -- only backup the important one.

(OTOH I didn't get that the vulnerability was multi-client in general rather than for multiple simultaneous users. Third hand, it still seems like a mossad-type vulnerability to me. And in RFC's case, she's running the borg server locally herself so there's no problem in the first place.)

Klyith fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Dec 8, 2022

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Klyith posted:

Yes, but only one of them needs backups. My laptop is a secondary device, anything on it that doesn't sync to the main PC is in the "I don't care about this" bucket. (Actually this is not true anymore, as my laptop is still running windows and since switching over to linux on the main PC I haven't done anything to fix that.)

But even for someone with a more complicated setup, it seems axiomatic to me that if you need de-duplication then you also need syncing. And thus you should sync data before backup, so you only need one backup. Or if you need de-duplication of static data -- a movie that's on both your laptop and NAS -- only backup the important one.

(OTOH I didn't get that the vulnerability was multi-client in general rather than for multiple simultaneous users. Third hand, it still seems like a mossad-type vulnerability to me. And in RFC's case, he's running the borg server locally himself so there's no problem in the first place.)

I don't really have a "main" device in my case, maybe that's weird. I just auto back up my $HOME with a list of excludes for stuff I really don't need if it breaks/gets stolen/whatever (like $HOME/.cache, $HOME/Downloads, etc). What gets dedupe'd in my case is probs mostly the git repos I'm working on which I'm mostly good about pushing remotely on the reg anyway, but they compress well and it's nice to have a backup in either case since it's cheap.

RFC wrote he's pushing his stuff offsite somewhere, it's mostly this secondary copy that'd be at risk then. I'm sure Borg is safe enough for most people, so I'm mostly saying that if you aren't already using Borg and want to do backups then you should use something else that doesn't have cryptographical issues, at least until Borg v2 is done.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I use bareos at work - it's a fork of bacula, but I'm not sure how much they have diverged. It's clunky and you need to handle multiple daemons and config files and there's password pairs that need to match in different files. On the other hand, it does seem to work well, and I've recovered a couple of files (mostly to confirm to myself that it still works), and adding more clients that back up to a central location is reasonably easy.

It's overkill and under-friendly at home, but since I more or less know how to run it now, I'm thinking about setting it up anyway. There's apparently a windows client, too, so I could set it up on all the machines. At work it writes to LTO-8 tape, but I've inherited a stack of moderately used 3TB SAS drives - so I thought I'd get a hotplug bay, an old SAS controller, and set it up to use a pool of disks as if they were tapes; taking them to work for offsite storage.

Not, to be clear, anything I recommend to anyone else. But if I get around to putting it all together I'll tell you how it's working out for me. :)

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

RFC2324 posted:

And if I was dealing with it in my day job as a linux admin, I wouldn't be using borg, I would be using something that isn't made of chewing gum and spit.

Don't mistake my hobby crap for the extent of my knowledge, its just a way to try breaking poo poo in new and exciting ways.

What are good backup applications then?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Armauk posted:

Depends on your use case. I'm currently fond of commvault in my professional life

Also, I would appreciate if people didn't misgender me, I'm a woman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

RFC2324 posted:

Depends on your use case. I'm currently fond of commvault in my professional life

Also, I would appreciate if people didn't misgender me, I'm a woman.

My bad, apologies.

Armauk posted:

zfs/btrfs send | zfs/btrfs receive