Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Lolling about how a month or two ago some researchers replicated a meteorite metal/mineral not ever seen or created on Earth by going "yeah we just mixed elements in the same ratio that was in the meteorite in a crucible and melted it" like some guy in his garage would do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Hooplah posted:

Ratios and Tendency:

i have a question and an associated thought experiment. assume the NDE experience is entirely nonphysical so there can be no possible physical evidence of its occurrence or reality. the only thing we have is the subjective experience of the individuals and their report. can you conceive of any outcomes in this setup which would satisfyingly convince you the experience isn't generated by the brain? would there be a magic number of reports which all agree with one another with perfect fidelity that would convince you? how about you yourself having this exact experience? would you trust your own intuition that the experience was real?

if you answer no, then why? how can you draw conclusions about the physicality of the world around you? how can you trust in any perception you've ever had?

i'm not picking on you and this isn't related to my previous post complaining about pennant. i legitimately would value your input here. btw i didn't and wouldn't call you dumb, but i do get the impression your previous posts were driven by an ideological presupposition. essentially the "scientism" parapsychologists and the like are always railing against

Not R&T but I will just quickly say the above scenario is not the sort of question science can answer, but one of religion and philosophy. Gary Nolan makes this point as well in at least one of his recent interviews, if you are looking for a scientific answer then inquiry will follow a particular framework. Once you step outside that then :iiam:

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

How cool it must be to be able to be like "new mineral just dropped, check it out"

also the dot speaks

Whose playing in the world cup right now?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Pontificating rear end posted:

Going to spite the tormentors by being happy

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Bilirubin posted:

Whose playing in the world cup right now?

If the dot reaches max red every 24 hours does it really indicate anything interesting at all?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Barry Foster posted:

If the dot reaches max red every 24 hours does it really indicate anything interesting at all?

something something NETWORK VARIANCE BIG/SMOL

IDK beyond that

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Pennant posted:

I'm sorry I thought this was the UFO thread, not the dumb-gently caress drugs and dying are god thread. I'll just leave and find the UFO thread which while based on little evidence, at least posits a cogent theory that makes a lick of sense.

Obviously I wouldn't want to trawl through pages of nonsense with people seemingly arguing that the existence of NDE's is evidence of...( insert whatever you think you are arguing for here I haven't a clue. Space Yahweh?)

It's a consequence of UAPs' parapsychological associability. Hope this helps

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Bilirubin posted:

Not R&T but I will just quickly say the above scenario is not the sort of question science can answer, but one of religion and philosophy. Gary Nolan makes this point as well in at least one of his recent interviews, if you are looking for a scientific answer then inquiry will follow a particular framework. Once you step outside that then :iiam:

fully aware of that, i don't think it's really an issue. R&T opened the door by drawing a metaphorical line between "spirituality" (whatever that means in the context of being a priori unknowable by science) and evo bio.

if i was to go there, i agree it's a philosophical question and not one answerable by biology and physics. in fact, attempting to recruit scientific inquiry in answering the most fundamentally important ontological question is foolish. occam's razor doesn't have infinite explanatory power.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Hooplah posted:

also i am fascinated by the driveby threadshitters to whom the mere existence of a conversation entertaining a cosmology outside of dead materialism is an affront to them. no different from the dudes rolling in to let us know there's no physical evidence of uaps. like, holy poo poo! I can't believe none of us considered that possibility!! thank you mr. hardnosed rationalist
I can't help but feel they are boomer computer touchers who, if they discovered lesswong and that basilisk idea would go full fash. I mean we are talking about a demographic that still thinks internet rationalism and internet atheism are the on fleak.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Justin Tyme posted:

Lolling about how a month or two ago some researchers replicated a meteorite metal/mineral not ever seen or created on Earth by going "yeah we just mixed elements in the same ratio that was in the meteorite in a crucible and melted it" like some guy in his garage would do

Please do not slander the noble citizen scientist

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Barry Foster posted:

It's pretty interesting that Karl Jansen says this here

sounds like karl jansen doesn’t understand evolutionary biology

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Riot Bimbo posted:

Just strap you the gently caress down and force feed you LSD until a doctor cries and begs me to stop and then I reveal my drivers licence for the camera, which says "Happy East" and then I wink at the camera as you scream adn then yakkety sax plays and it's J'Rooti and the P'nti Seven playing smooth jazz while you scream roll credits

Didn't know I had this kink

Justin Tyme posted:

My kinda science

Barry Foster posted:

It indicates the noosphere is real because everyone is thinking about football yeah. Implies if everyone thought about changing reality something interesting would happen.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Riot Bimbo posted:

I want to Give You All Ego Death Until You're So Uncertain About Reality You're Only Convinced Of The Precarious Nature Of Your Own Unshakeable Understanding Of Literally Anything That Happens Which You're Capable Of Perceiving.

feels relevant for whatever reason. reading this thread often reminds me of mewithoutyou
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SCn5mpGaQM

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
This is kinda interesting, if a bit dated

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPCvuva2deU

You will quite quickly spot the NDT in this line up

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Has today's high valee been posted, that's a dude who gets some good ideology
https://twitter.com/GarryPNolan/status/1599784553346142208

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

man i drank a lot of tequila last night

anyway i had a crazy rear end dream, where i went to a parapolitics/occult convention center and felix from chapo was there and sold me ketamine for $6 and a coupon from taipei i called a "chiang kai sheckel". so, i was tripping on ketamine, watching ppl that were lunatics, and also some actual intelligence agency people, more or less just openly talking about poo poo, like who would believe anyone that got info from the crazy con so they just blabbered everything. i went down stairs and it was a room full of people, and on the stage, some loa had mounted a bunch of people and were holding court.

at one point I went lucid and rocketed the gently caress out of the solar system, and my awareness/sense of self dimmed the further I got from Sol, but I found alien cultures and began to associate to them, and was suddenly living their lives, fighting their wars, experiencing their bonds and social connection.

then i found myself back on earth, at the con, I had dropped my wallet, i picked it up, a guy l icked my loving hand, then i woke up

anyway don't drink half a bottle of tequila folks

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Riot Bimbo posted:

anyway don't drink half a bottle of tequila folks
17 year old me should have heard this, time travel back next time and tell them!

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

not only will i never drink half a bottle of tequila, i won't drink tequila at all. because it's disgusting

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

it's actually the best hard liquor there is, but rum is not far behind

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Wrong. I'm allergic to it, making it the worst hard liquor by a country mile (I'm not allergic to any other kinds. I hear you asking, what about mezcal? Are you allergic to mezcal? I'm not sure. I don't think so.)

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
good tequila is good af, lovely tequila is insanely bad

you can get really good stuff that you can just sip it's delicious

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Riot Bimbo posted:

it's actually the best hard liquor there is, but rum is not far behind

i've gotta disagree. whiskey, vodka and gin are all preferable to tequila. brandy too

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Whiskey, brandy, vodka in order. Vodka is lowkey great for sipping. I recommend the one De Niro owns, 6100

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

vodka has never once tasted like anything but battery acid to me.

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

Hooplah posted:

can you conceive of any outcomes in this setup which would satisfyingly convince you the experience isn't generated by the brain?

NDE adjacent, but the first time i took a big dose of mushrooms, i had a shadowy spirit guide whatever with me during some of the trip, and this spirit guide would preface every revelation to me by making sure i understood that this experience was going to be, as you said, generated in my brain. it became kind of a running theme, i'd stop to see the fractals in the wood panelling and the little voice would lecture me on optic nerve structure vis-a-vis common hallucinatory patterns. also the spirit guide kind of had the voice of stephan merchant?

after that the guide seemed really eager to discuss biblical prophets, so i redirected my trip outside, where it was early spring at 4:30am and it had just rained

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Man what the hell on my one and only shroom trip I wrote down -6 and had a panic attack because somehow that was too much to handle

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

if you're not arguing with demons that are trying to attach to you, or being shown occult secrets, or interacting with a spirit guide, the problem is that you didn't take enough psychedelics

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Most of my shroom trips have been chill but I got stuck in a thought loop about thoughts on my first go with them. When I started coming up I started evaluating the existence of objects in the room and realized they're always realized thoughts (stupid and sophomoric but I was young). So the TV was a composition of thoughts that we made real and so on. It was my first I guess proper realization that consciousness will always obfuscate objective reality, or perhaps that objective reality as such is itself just realized thoughts*. Anyway I just kept repeating "Thoughts that's what it is. What's the question? That's the answer. Thoughts..." I did this out loud much to my friend's chagrin, who couldn't pose a question or concept without me responding "Thoughts, that's what it is! Thoughts. What's your question? That's the answer." He eventually grabbed me by the shoulders, shook me a bit, and said Please, I need you to stop. You have to stop. You're making me insane. And that was the end of it.

*On an acid trip, which was my first acid trip and happened before this shrooms trip this came up in a very fleeting way I still think about often. What I'm getting at here is reality concomitant with thought and co-created by individualized consciousnesses of Mind at Large. A friend, who would shortly after this trip (because kf it) succumb to paranoid schizophrenia, was watching a fly buzz over the kitchen counter about which we were all standing. He said of the fly, "Just like this... just like this, you know? It's here because [mumbling] we all agree. That's why, because we're all saying it's here right now and poo poo."

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
The only times i've tripped a really huge completely black lizard appears for a little bit. There's nothing ominous about it and it's like we know each other, I got the sense he was keeping an eye out for me. He never speaks or does anything other than just kinda hang out for a few minutes. He also stands like a person and is pretty much a really tall guy who happens to be a black lizard.

SniperWoreConverse has issued a correction as of 20:08 on Dec 7, 2022

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

How cool it must be to be able to be like "new mineral just dropped, check it out"

also the dot speaks

it also owns that the new mineral literally dropped because it was in a meteorite

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

The only times i've tripped a really huge completely black lizard appears for a little bit. There's nothing ominous about it and it's like we know each other, I got the sense he was keeping an eye out for me. He never speaks or does anything other than just kinda hang out for a few minutes. He also stands like a person and is pretty much a really tall guy who happens to be a black lizard.

:3:

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Can the lizard man be the new thread mascot

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol

by Allah I love him

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

I wish I could buy mushrooms online from one of the newly legalized states.

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
They who touch much grass ioften find in it secret treasures...." -me

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The Demilich posted:

I wish I could buy mushrooms by any means

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

endocriminologist posted:

by Allah I love him

He's good and seems to only come out near the start and only stays until he's sure i'm gonna be fine. The first time he stayed the longest, and that was the time he almost said something i think? But he doesn't really talk cause he doesn't have to? He can but doesn't.

And I've never had a bad or particularly crazy trip I couldn't handle (or that many tbh). But he has 100% shown up every single time, even if it's only for a little bit.

The Demilich posted:

Same. It's worth doing unless there's some contraindication. I don't feel like I'd want to do it more than maybe once a year or two or something.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Slavvy posted:

I wish I could buy mushrooms by any means

Spores are legal and it's really easy to do the next step yourself.

Jealous of you all. I've done heroic amounts many times of many different psychodelics and never had anything beyond the swirly visuals and pretty colors.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

when i take acid, i always perceive something, it's always in the same spot, very very far away, like by distance, but it's also incredibly imminent, and it radiates euphoria, love, and all the good feels, and it incessantly makes me plot how to implement full communism

i'm pretty sure it's God and God wants Marxism

i wish i was joking but i'm absolutely not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
When I was dying and on drugs in the hospital I saw Optimus loving Primal standing in the corner of the ICU. I was absolutely sure he was there and nodding reassuringly at me.

I am either proud of my brain for conjuring that so convincingly or grateful to whatever cosmic forces chose to reveal themselves to me that day in such a badass form rather than something lame like an angel or whatever

I am however inclined to believe that there are less dramatic explanations for many of these experiences since our thinking and sensory input meats are kind of easily hosed with