Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Prurient Squid posted:

I'd half read your post when I wrote this resonse. So this should not be intended as a comment on anything you said in the last six or so lines.

There’s more to come too. Faith, final projects and the concrete universal are next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A_Bluenoser
Jan 13, 2008
...oh where could that fish be?...
Nap Ghost

Prurient Squid posted:

Eric Hobsbawm once argued that you cannot be a nationalist without misunderstanding your nations history. I'm starting to wonder if it's possible to be a "traditionalist" without being very largely ignorant of Christianity's real traditions.

I follow a particular Christian tradition as developed in the Anglican Book of Common Prayer (in daily practice the Canadian 1962 revision although I actually think the 1662 edition has much to recommend it, particularly in the form of the Communion service). In my Diocese this marks me as "traditional" but I would never claim that the tradition I follow is the only valid one and I am quite happy to study and understand others. I also would not claim my tradition somehow "recaptures" true primitive Christianity - it evolves out of a specific set of circumstances in the 16th and 17th centuries AD - and that does not bother me one whit: we are always able to learn more and our relationship to the Kingdom of God is never finished or static. This is the tradition that I love and brings me closer to God!

This is a pretty good blog post someone shared that gets a bit at how I feel about the Prayer Book: https://thewomanfredi.blogspot.com/2022/10/off-by-heart-love-letter-to-book-of.html?m=1

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
Oh yeah, I was trying to learn the Nicene creed before wasn't I. Well right at the moment I'm trying to remember the names of the Hebrew calender months. But I might return to creeds in a bit.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

May I ask for prayers, please?

I am pretty much OK - but the rest of my team at work? Are being laid off. During the holiday season. I would like them to be able to find good employment, after this layoff. Thank you.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Qu Appelle posted:

May I ask for prayers, please?

I am pretty much OK - but the rest of my team at work? Are being laid off. During the holiday season. I would like them to be able to find good employment, after this layoff. Thank you.

Sure, hope it all works out as well as it can

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

I'm thinking about the idea that all ideologies should be judged by "their fruits" and actually I don't agree with this. That sort of gives me the image that world history is a big old-timey computer and there are different punch cards labeled Islam, Christianity, Arab Nationalism, Marxism etc... and you just insert the punch cards into the machine and it goes beep boop and then you patiently wait for the verdict.

I think the relationship between ideas and their presumptive "fruits" is much more subtle than that. Actually I think one thing in particular which is downplayed in that paragidm is the role of pivotal events where the entire situation is on a knife-edge and a strong enough push from either side can alter the outcome markedly. Also we have to bear in mind the degree to which various regimes use ideologies as a cloak or trade on the good name of something to which they have a very dubious claim.

A_Bluenoser
Jan 13, 2008
...oh where could that fish be?...
Nap Ghost

Prurient Squid posted:

I'm thinking about the idea that all ideologies should be judged by "their fruits" and actually I don't agree with this. That sort of gives me the image that world history is a big old-timey computer and there are different punch cards labeled Islam, Christianity, Arab Nationalism, Marxism etc... and you just insert the punch cards into the machine and it goes beep boop and then you patiently wait for the verdict.

I think the relationship between ideas and their presumptive "fruits" is much more subtle than that. Actually I think one thing in particular which is downplayed in that paragidm is the role of pivotal events where the entire situation is on a knife-edge and a strong enough push from either side can alter the outcome markedly. Also we have to bear in mind the degree to which various regimes use ideologies as a cloak or trade on the good name of something to which they have a very dubious claim.

Broadly speaking I think I agree with this assessment and particularly the fact that it is very hard to use the events of history to judge the "value" of an idea. History is so confused and contingent that it is often impossible to say that a given thing directly lead to some particular outcome: would thing X always happen because of system Y or is it only because of a specific interaction with person Z at exactly time T and if any of those has changed slightly would the outcome have been completely different? History is not inevitable!

That also touches on another point that I think is sometimes missed: I don't think most people hold their religious beliefs (or most others for that matter) as a result of some sort of moral optimization process. For example I am not Christian because I have examined all of the moral content of all system out there and based on that decided that Anglican Christianity is "best". Rather I am looking for "Truth": in my experience of reality Christianity is "True" and at the end of the day I that experience of reality is what I have to go on. This is always in flux of course and I have been effectively atheist at various point in my life but that feeling of Truth keeps calling me back. The the virtues of the moral system are not the primary reason that I an Christian.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Individuals who are bigoted shitlords about their faith would almost certainly, in a world without religion, simply be bigoted shitlords about something else.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

The way I think about it is that ideas are tools. People give them their purpose and decide what ends they are used for. It’s more like groups or individuals bear fruit. But ideas are what our brains are informed by, that’s what the culture that shapes us is made up of(ideas).

It goes back to that shoreline metaphor I think most things, ourselves, ideas and physical things are intersections and it’s all dynamic.

Also agree about pivotal events and the concept of kairos is the way I think about that.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Prurient Squid posted:

I think you can judge ideas by the fruit of what they actually claim to do. In some cases this is partially beyond assessment (cannot confirm entry to Heaven directly).

I do think that judging for instance a major religion based on lovely behavior by wicked people is foolish, although it may be worthwhile to see if there is some interplay between the behavior and some doctrinal topic.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

https://twitter.com/mardirooster/status/1600542994003902477?s=46&t=UqA3VVJMiSTsgVzBNh1Yjw

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

That's just Ozymandias

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

What's that like a 48-pack

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The ones on the side are the Serratus Anterior and Obliques. They're a little messed up though, as is the usual case when looking at ai "art"

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

According to Buddhist legend the Buddha actually had an anti-horny aura so people wouldn’t suffer from unfulfilled sexual desire when looking at him. I2600 years later it has finally failed.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
I think the fig tree discourse is definitely pointed at organizations and practices rather than ideologies per se. In context it reads as a criticism of the Pharisaic social order, who the Gospel author/Jesus are saying do not bear fruits from their religious practice, but rather comply with a law for its own sake. For a modern reader, I don't think the first lesson to take should be 'which international religious organization do I sign up for', more like 'what is my religious practice achieving? local church A or B?'.

Now granted, I do personally look at the wages of Marxism or the Catholic Church's institutional and doctrinal choices and think, those fruits do not look good to me. But that is merely a first leading that must be investigated further, because as has been said you only get one history to examine. If you can't pick out a structural issue that lead to the historical failures you observed, you do not understand the issue yet.

Re: sexy Buddha:

One supernatural attainment of a sufficiently advanced practitioner is to contract every other abdominal muscle.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

The line about Zechariah being killed "between the altar and the sanctuary" reminds me of Thomas Becket being murdered by knights in Canterbury Cathedral. The King at the time had said "who will rid me of this turbulent priest" and according to the the usual account a bunch of knights went off and killed him right in the middle of the church which was an outrage.

edit:

I like the part where someone tells Jesus "do you know there's a guy trying to kill you?" and Jesus says, don't worry, I'm not even at Jerusalem yet. Don't you know that prophets are always killed in Jerusalem?

Prurient Squid fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Dec 8, 2022

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

If Quakers "answer to that of God in every one" then why shouldn't that include the people who made Lazerlords? I see no reason.

edit:

"If you can make your mind as empty as the void, then the void will rush into you.
You will see marvelous things."

Prurient Squid fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Dec 8, 2022

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Prurient Squid posted:

The line about Zechariah being killed "between the altar and the sanctuary" reminds me of Thomas Becket being murdered by knights in Canterbury Cathedral. The King at the time had said "who will rid me of this turbulent priest" and according to the the usual account a bunch of knights went off and killed him right in the middle of the church which was an outrage.
Murder inside a church is sadly not that unusual in history; St. Oscar Romero was gunned down while serving Mass.

According to Orthodox tradition, the Zechariah Jesus is referring to is specifically John the Baptist's father, who died to Herod's goons so his wife and child could get away.

Keromaru5 fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Dec 8, 2022

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

On the wikipedia page it mentioned the possiblity that some of the killers fled up to the vacinity of where I live!

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Prurient Squid posted:

On the wikipedia page it mentioned the possiblity that some of the killers fled up to the vacinity of where I live!

Stay safe :ohdear:

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

One time I was at a meeting of The People's Assembly. A lot of things were written on a flipboard and then so far as I'm aware no one ever met again and nothing was ever done. I'm bringing this up because I remember one woman getting up and breathlessly making some kind of contribution on the spur of the moment.

Now I have a word for what she did. "Ministry".

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

shame on an IGA posted:

Individuals who are bigoted shitlords about their faith would almost certainly, in a world without religion, simply be bigoted shitlords about something else.

Naw, they'd belong to Creativity

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

For a moment there I had an idea of reading the whole of the bible and rewarding myself with digimon booster every 50 or so chapters.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Prurient Squid posted:

For a moment there I had an idea of reading the whole of the bible and rewarding myself with digimon booster every 50 or so chapters.

Getting through Leviticus should earn you a booster box by itself.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Do you know what? I'm kind of getting tired of Digimon right now.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

I'm not tired of digimon. Cybersleuth is awesome!

Anyway, I just thought that the word "mysticism" might be unhelpful language and if you took the same ideas as those of Christian mysticism and expressed them in terms of modern neuroscience you'd have something more accessible and then it struck me that I'd basically reinvented mindfulness from first principles. (yes, Eastern mysticism too but the two basiclly merge anyway.)

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

Does anyone have any decent articles or book recommendations for understanding and/or critiquing Mysticism? I keep not really grasping it and it's getting on my wick.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
Every Pendle Hill Pamphlet (an American Quaker publication) I have picked up on the topic, or related topics, has had something interesting to say. Quakerism is built around mysticism and is pointedly open to critique so that's a decent place to begin. Mysticism is very personal so I don't think you're going to find any absolutes on the matter.

Unrelated, I like the Episcopal Daily Prayer app a lot. I'm still not quite sold on silent prayer vs. guided prayer, or if picking is even necessary. Difficult to be a member of multiple communities scheduled around Sunday mornings though.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

That's a pain,about the personal thing.

What about larger scale critique? Other than, I presume, that it does tend to be personal?

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Dec 10, 2022

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
Here are some personally salient critiques. Many mystical experiences can be skeptically explained by the power of the imagination, hallucination, or delusion. Mystical practice can be harmful to someone's mental health. Failures of discernment can cause mystical practice to lead one down a path of sin.

Nevertheless, it's good imo.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Im going to be honest, I struggle a lot with the idea of the universe as something we need to accept and live with. I have a lot of difficulty with acceptance of myself and of my own limitations and of the existence of pain, suffering and death. I hate the idea of acceptance in general as well, I don't like the fact that "it is what it is" has become a part of my Lexicon.

It's annoying and I'm trying not to just reflexivity scoff at stuff like Alan Watts or Ram Das. Partially because it's not really something I want to do, I want to be knowledgeable and approach things with openness and the ability to be thoughtful about stuff. It's just a pain.

Also how does Mysticism even approach "sin"?

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
Mysticism is a very general term that cuts across many religious traditions. I carry a Christian viewpoint therefore I am describing mysticism from that viewpoint. That's where the reference to sin comes from, along with the reference to religious discernment.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Ohtori Akio posted:

Mysticism is a very general term that cuts across many religious traditions. I carry a Christian viewpoint therefore I am describing mysticism from that viewpoint. That's where the reference to sin comes from, along with the reference to religious discernment.

I know that, but how is the conception of sin different from a common one? Like how is "sin" differently viewed via mysticism?

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
I am unaware of any particular difference in the conceptualization of sin shared by mystics. I'll pray on this one though.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

This was suggested to me by YouTube and I feel compelled to share it here.

STONER DOOM & EASTERN ORTHODOX MONASTICISM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTO6u4GLli0

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Josef bugman posted:

I know that, but how is the conception of sin different from a common one? Like how is "sin" differently viewed via mysticism?

Don't take this the wrong way, JB, but I kinda feel like you're about to start trying to apply logic and consistency to something that defies those things and you're going to get mad frustrated.

Have you read 'The Cloud of Unknowing'? It's a difficult read but it's quite beautiful in places and I learned about it here in this thread.

'For He can well be loved, but he cannot be thought. By love he can be grasped and held, but by thought, neither grasped nor held. And therefore, though it may be good at times to think specifically of the kindness and excellence of God, and though this may be a light and a part of contemplation, all the same, in the work of contemplation itself, it must be cast down and covered with a cloud of forgetting. And you must step above it stoutly but deftly, with a devout and delightful stirring of love, and struggle to pierce that darkness above you; and beat on that thick cloud of unknowing with a sharp dart of longing love, and do not give up, whatever happens.'

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

HopperUK posted:

Don't take this the wrong way, JB, but I kinda feel like you're about to start trying to apply logic and consistency to something that defies those things and you're going to get mad frustrated.

I probably am. "just don't think about it" is not something I really "get" as a thing. If something doesn't have consistency then that is also something I have difficulty with.

I haven't. I don't think I wpuld approach it correctly tbh.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Dec 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Josef bugman posted:

I probably am. "just don't think about it" is not something I really "get" as a thing. If something doesn't have consistency then that is also something I have difficulty with.

Well - you're supposed to think, but in a different way. Any time you get into mysticism you're going to start running into stuff that can't be easily described or explained. But people have always tried so keep looking; I'd like to learn more too, so you posting about it is useful for me!