Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Eifert Posting posted:

Between this thread and the Valheim thread it really reinforces the fact that other people play these games for significantly different reasons than I do.

Same! I couldn't care less about base building in this game but I've played three times and never completed it because my interest starts to flag as soon as I get the Prawn and Cyclops as it stops being an ocean survival game and starts becoming a power fantasy, but I've had so much fun playing it an a super immersive survival horror-lite I'm more than happy with what I've got from it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Parallelwoody posted:

I don't think a box that pulls materials you've stored from other boxes is removing anything but tedium and nowhere near making yourself immortal. That's a weird take.

It's an unusual joy but it's not any more weird than Marie Kondo is. No need to be insulting dude

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Parallelwoody posted:

I don't think a box that pulls materials you've stored from other boxes is removing anything but tedium and nowhere near making yourself immortal. That's a weird take.

Not having to find it means that you don't need to organize and the container does not need to be easily accessible. It removes a ton of the functional necessity of a base.

The funny thing is I'm a super disorganized person with most IRL things but I'm a neat freak perfectionist in video games.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Dec 7, 2022

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
It's because you know it's Too Late to solve your organization problems IRL, you can't just bulldoze your house and start over from scratch.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I do not miss the hours of walking back and forth shuffling items around in containers. Having a neatly organized base was very gratifying, but "there has to be a better way!"

If having a cargo unloader was part of the moonpod upgrade path in the official game, nobody would have blinked and called it unreasonable. It's kinda like how the gravity ball trivializes hand fishing, nobody complains about that either. Heck, I thought indoor planters where cheezy/unrealistic yet I still had a tree budding in my Cyclops, after a while you outgrow the early game survival tedium and just want to move on to the next thing.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I just wish the glass lockers showed you what was inside.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

It's an unusual joy but it's not any more weird than Marie Kondo is. No need to be insulting dude

Saying I think an opinion is weird is not insulting. That's a weird take as well, dude.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

MikeJF posted:

I just wish the glass lockers showed you what was inside.

I'd even be fine with the ability to label them like the wall lockers.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah it's drat silly you can't even stick a label on them properly.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Parallelwoody posted:

Saying I think an opinion is weird is not insulting. That's a weird take as well, dude.

Dude. Harsh

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Yes it makes it easier in some ways, and people are free to not want that in their game, but it is weird to compare it to immortality or spawning in items. That's just straight up cheating, this is tweaking existing game mechanics in a relatively minor way to reduce tedium. You still have to survive and go get the things, you just don't have to find every last item and shove it in your pockets before you can make something.

It's already a machine that can suck items out of my pockets and turn them in to other things through the power of magic lasers. It's not a logical stretch or massive change in gameplay to say "this should be able to suck items directly from the nearby cabinets instead of just my pockets".

Eifert Posting posted:

Not having to find it means that you don't need to organize and the container does not need to be easily accessible. It removes a ton of the functional necessity of a base.
Even with autocrafting I still have to get materials out manually occasionally to go do things somewhere away from my storage. Sure, it means the storage area doesn't have to be the hub of my base where I'm always going back to it, but it still has to be accessible and usable.

My main BZ base was a large room with a corner partially walled off for a bedroom and then one of the long walls was nothing but lockers, with the fabricator and modification station in the middle. It would have been perfectly usable without the crafting mod, maybe needing a bit more organization of the lockers but not substantially different.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
It’s funny that so many games come down to cabinet management. I’ve been getting into Rimworld and an “access stockpile from anywhere” mod for that game would practically trivialize it. So much time and energy goes into precisely optimizing where stuff is stored so pawns have it all ready next to their workspaces.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

In life we are but the tenders of cabinets

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

If you're gonna have auto systems then you should at least have conveyer belts and pipes.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i just wish you could snap lockers into positions, i got unreasonably upset any time i saw lockers in ny base/cyclops that were very slightly not aligned with the others

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I believe there’s a mod for that!

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

wolrah posted:

Yes it makes it easier in some ways, and people are free to not want that in their game, but it is weird to compare it to immortality or spawning in items. That's just straight up cheating, this is tweaking existing game mechanics in a relatively minor way to reduce tedium. You still have to survive and go get the things, you just don't have to find every last item and shove it in your pockets before you can make something.

By my 20th or 30th hour in Subnautica I was absolutely not at any risk of dying due to an enemy attack but I was absolutely at risk of misplacing my poo poo.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

One of the weird things about Subnautica is that in the absence of more traditional combat, it's kinda harder to pin down where the meat of the game is exactly, so there's a lot of possibility to just cut out parts of the game that some people would find more crucial. In a game about the harshness of living on an alien planet, it's kinda easy for quality of life improvements to obviate that.

I've seen a number of other no-combat exploration-focused games that end up feeling too empty compared to subnautica, so I'm not really sure what the magic mix is.

Also it's kinda funny how organized I was in the later part of the game, because at the beginning I was literally dumping excess that I might need later into a hole near the escape pod and hoping it wouldn't despawn.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

peeper is the real meat of the game imo

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Reginald for life :colbert:

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

peeper has much better macros, a lot of magnesium.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

No Dignity posted:

Same! I couldn't care less about base building in this game but I've played three times and never completed it because my interest starts to flag as soon as I get the Prawn and Cyclops as it stops being an ocean survival game and starts becoming a power fantasy, but I've had so much fun playing it an a super immersive survival horror-lite I'm more than happy with what I've got from it

I would actually say that the ocean survival part only really starts once you get the cyclops. The first half of the game is more or less a nice casual experience, once you need the cyclops the survival aspects of the game kick in a lot more, and it become somewhat of a chore to play.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Oasx posted:

I would actually say that the ocean survival part only really starts once you get the cyclops. The first half of the game is more or less a nice casual experience, once you need the cyclops the survival aspects of the game kick in a lot more, and it become somewhat of a chore to play.

Eh, the wonder and the terror of the ocean fade away for me once you've got the heavy armour. It might be more mechanically taxing but I stop being afraid of Reapers and being surrounded by pitch black water, which is basically what I was playing for. The base building and power escalation doesn't really do anything for me

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
https://unknownworlds.com/subnautica/subnautica-living-large-update-released/
Subnautica Living Large update

Large rooms added booooooooyyyy

e: Less likely to get stuck in Alien Bases while operating the Prawn

OgNar fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Dec 14, 2022

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

OgNar posted:

Welp, there goes my afternoon.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

OgNar posted:

Nice! I should finally replay it, but this time on Steam, rather than Switch.

Also,

Unknown Worlds posted:

And as some eagle-eyed fans might have spotted, we might have some more exciting news for you in the new year.
But for now, enjoy, and happy diving!

What does this mean?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I will most likely have to wait for mod updates.
Gonna try after another hour in Satisfactory though.

I tried the timed demo for Forever Skies finally.
Its been up on Steam for awhile.
Lots of people saying it will be Subnautica-like, but seemed more Raft-like to me.
Very full of jank though atm.
But it will be early access as are all games these days.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1641960/Forever_Skies/

e: drat, it looks like modded plays will have to wait for updates.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Dec 14, 2022

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Yeah, I guess completly changing the game engine would break all the mods.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I had a handful that were cross-compatible, but yeah. Gonna wait to restart.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

How are the new base pieces made available? Typically you would need to scan them first right?

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
Load times are like 1/3 of what they used to be. This owns.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
Aw yeah. I've been waiting on this since my last playthrough earlier this year. It's been a hard wait.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Aoi posted:

Aw yeah. I've been waiting on this since my last playthrough earlier this year. It's been a hard wait.

I'm gonna wait for most of the QoL mods to get updated, then replay it.

Did the texture pop-in issues get fixed? That was my #1 complaint about the game.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Screw the texture pop-in, I'm more worried about entire mountains with associated collisions popping in.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Endless Trash posted:

How are the new base pieces made available? Typically you would need to scan them first right?

You get the blueprint for the large room and related parts once you unlock the multipurpose room.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Popin seems a lot better, has actually made finding low profile resources like salt harder to find because it used to load in before the sea grass.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
So funny they decided to push out this big update now. I just started playing a few weeks ago, and am finally about to finish the game probably tomorrow night. Just have to build two more rocket pieces.

I really enjoyed the game, even though the final act is a bit of a slog. It's also the first "survival" game I've ever enjoyed, which I lately attribute to their being a story/goal to work towards.

I've actually had this game since release since I was a huge NS & NS2 fan and wanted to support UWE. I bounced off it hard back then, but I'm glad I eventually came back to it.

E: also by far the hardest/most annoying (but also the coolest) "enemies" in the game are the Warpers. gently caress those guys. Warping me out of my prawn while trying to slingshot and jumpjet around. I always quickly got back in and tried to beat the poo poo out of them haha

chocolateTHUNDER fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Dec 14, 2022

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

So, the good news is that my Seamoth is ...fine. At 100% health even. Abosolutely safe from sea life.

:doh:

Ardeem fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Dec 14, 2022

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Ardeem posted:

So, the good news is that my Seamoth is ...fine. At 100% health even. Abosolutely safe from sea life.

:doh:

Propulsion-cannon it back to where it wants to be :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Icon Of Sin posted:

Propulsion-cannon it back to where it wants to be :getin:

Neither the propulsion nor repulsion cannons want to interact with it.