Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i still have the free fantasia from first month bonus in ARR, gonna keep it until the graphics overhaul lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Bruceski posted:

For FF14 my character started as my FF11 character, who was a "me", but they've been fantasia'd all over the place and I change glams/hairstyles at a whim. Usually I feel a lot more uncomfortable doing that to a character once established whether they're "me" or not. Actually, one reason I switched away from my original look was that I wasn't as comfortable messing with it as I wanted to be.

yeah my 14 character started as a port of one of my 11 characters. I still miss the galka tail and hip thrust but it's ok, I'll deal with the loss. I also really enjoyed the genderless weird world building of the galka, it was really unique.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I'm a straight cis guy and I'm not going to let that stop my character being a bi catgirl who is also me.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Thundarr posted:

ngl I will immediately Fantasia when the art team finally adds a mi'qo muscle slider so my catgirl can be buff.

As someone who spent ten earth dollars just to palette swap my cat, :same:

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I’m a bi human cis girl and my characters are an acearo lizard girl and a gay bunny boy. I generally prefer to make up entirely new characters every time I play a game with customization because it comes to me naturally. They aren’t such different people from me that I like, roleplay them taking dialog choices I never would say, but they definitely aren’t me.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
My Warrior of Light is not Literally Me but she came from my brain and is therefore influenced by my entire being and after playing as this weirdo for several hundred hours I am emotionally bonded. This is my punch-daughter.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think anyone should be able to play whoever they like but I admit whenever someone says they just want to play someone who looks like themselves it always puts me in edge.

Not because that is wrong but because it always seems to be based on very few things and those very few things tend to be what the worst people in the world focus on. I doubt anyone in this thread means it that way thankfully but so often I see 'I just want someone who looks like me' as shorthand for 'yeah they are a six foot tall muscle Adonis with a square jaw but they have the same skin color' argument.

I doubt that is anything more than a minority of people in game thankfully but I know enough people have has lovely experiences with those types as to be iffy.

(And natch this is mostly about white dudes because anyone else has already gotten used to playing someone who isnt them. Wanting to play someone like yourself means something way different there)

Not trying to sound judgy or anything, just trying to explain a thought process

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Dec 7, 2022

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

I wanted to be cute so I started as a catgirl.

Later on I dediced I wasn't cute enough so I fantasia'd into a Lala.

No regrets.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Detheros posted:

I wanted to be cute so I started as a catgirl.

Later on I dediced I wasn't cute enough so I fantasia'd into a Lala.

No regrets.

Pope looking kind of fab.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I just want a pompadour, but I have settle for it in video games only.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

Kashuno posted:

Look if you don’t buy a Fantasia every week to adjust individual sliders by 1 or change one option at a time are you really exploring all the options of the character editor?

It's a shameful lack of curiosity smh

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

ImpAtom posted:

I think anyone should be able to play whoever they like but I admit whenever someone says they just want to play someone who looks like themselves it always puts me in edge.

Not because that is wrong but because it always seems to be based on very few things and those very few things tend to be what the worst people in the world focus on. I doubt anyone in this thread means it that way thankfully but so often I see 'I just want someone who looks like me' as shorthand for 'yeah they are a six foot tall muscle Adonis with a square jaw but they have the same skin color' argument.

I doubt that is anything more than a minority of people in game thankfully but I know enough people have has lovely experiences with those types as to be iffy.

(And natch this is mostly about white dudes because anyone else has already gotten used to playing someone who isnt them. Wanting to play someone like yourself means something way different there)

I see where you're coming from and have definitely seen Those Gamers react that way whenever there is a female or POC protagonist, but I think where the "looks like me" argument comes from when it comes to character customization is the degree to which a player can feel like their character is an avatar of themselves projected into the world, as opposed to a pawn that they puppet around. Players like this generally design (and play) their characters as "me, but _____", with as many modifiers as they're comfortable with, and for people with a low degree of comfort that usually winds up defaulting to "me, but idealized", which has strong racial and gendered components to it. Players with a higher degree of comfort can add more and/or bigger modifiers to build characters that are noticeably different from themselves but that they can still recognize as their avatar in game.

This definitely does not apply to everyone. Some people have no problem inhabiting a character wildly different from themselves (I am not a disaster of a catgirl IRL but my WoL is definitely me), and some people treat their characters as independent entities that they control, like the protagonist in any other video game. However, there are people who just want to be themselves, and if that means making a white male human because that's who they are in real life, that's what they'll want to do.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Does anyone have any good references for house decorating? I just got a small on my Dynamis alt (the joy of rolling on a ghost town), and I'd at least like to preview walls/flooring and furniture options.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
As a completely different facet to the discussion, you also have people like me who, when given a game with a slew of sliders for customizing a character's face, just don't have the patience to fiddle with it to try and get something that looks good and just go with the default with maybe a few minor tweaks (like hair and eye color and style) and call it a day.

IthilionTheBrave fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Dec 8, 2022

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Tons of reactionary freaks play catgirls and lalas and all that stuff so it's rather goofy to act like Midlander is some warning sign imo.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Tons of reactionary freaks play catgirls and lalas and all that stuff so it's rather goofy to act like Midlander is some warning sign imo.

I don't think anyone's considering it a warning sign, though. The worst I can say about default male midlander players is that I don't have an opinion on them, they are extremely bland, and in a game with a character creator I consider that a tragedy in and of itself. The people with the worst takes on the official forums all play male midlanders, but they all customized them and are obviously not going for 'Bland Generic White Guy' (most of them are going for 'The Garleans Are Right And Cool', which is... not better, in part because every single one of them completely ignores that most Garleans use elezen models).

In-game the worst players are all over the place, but I do remember more lalafel culprits than anything, either because of selective memory or because they really attract the gremlins.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
It seems unnecessary to psychoanalyze whether or not a bigot will try to trick you by playing "Me, But Really Cool" in a video game or P&P when these days most bigots will grab a megaphone and announce it in public by doing things like calling out the new WoW expac as woke propaganda or asking why there are so many women in the character arts of the latest D&D 5e book.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

It's honestly pretty refreshing to me when I see a male Middy with a name like "John Barber." Kind of a palate cleanser, you know?

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Cleretic I don't know how you do your official forums forays. That place is something else

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Cleretic I don't know how you do your official forums forays. That place is something else

I stick to the lore subforum, because while the whole place is a cesspit, at least the lore subforum is sort of quiet and tame, and tends to attract people who are genuinely trying to engage with the story. It's the one place in the forums where I see the generally lovely people get slapped down rather than them running rampant.

I think it's because there just isn't a big, well-regarded external place to talk about FFXIV's story and lore. With anything else there's like, discord servers, offsite forums or the like; if you want to just go somewhere and talk housing, there's specific places for that where the people who are really into that tend to congregate. There just sn't anywhere else you go to talk lore, at least not directly, so the official spaces become the default. Which yes, means that story talk tends to be of a lower caliber than other subjects overall, but it does mean that the lore talk in official spaces is probably above that space's average.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Dec 8, 2022

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

TheWorldsaStage posted:

I think boring straight dudes should be able to play what they want to as well, was that the difference in the unquoted part you're alluding to?

boring straight dudes will be forcibly excited, weren't you at the last gay agenda meeting? Although I kinda tuned the guy out, I'm not sure if he meant "emotionally excited" or "energetically excited" as with a giant space laser.

Truga posted:

i still have the free fantasia from first month bonus in ARR, gonna keep it until the graphics overhaul lol

I'm not sure where my free fantasia is, probably in a retainer. Everything I was dissatisfied with was changeable with a visit to Jandelaine, so I still have a second token from him kicking around my bags.

I am definitely not an enormous dark-skinned man with more muscles by default than any mage would seriously require. I primarily chose Hellsguard male because I had a good name already picked out, and he rapidly became someone I could identify as me.

Antivehicular posted:

Does anyone have any good references for house decorating? I just got a small on my Dynamis alt (the joy of rolling on a ghost town), and I'd at least like to preview walls/flooring and furniture options.

You can preview furniture from within the build menu, but I just wound up making a host of walls and floors and trying out different ones until I found some I liked. I would also like a floor/wall/light reference for future endeavors.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Dareon posted:

You can preview furniture from within the build menu, but I just wound up making a host of walls and floors and trying out different ones until I found some I liked. I would also like a floor/wall/light reference for future endeavors.

Yeah, if I had the house on my main (who's on Crystal, so probably SOL on housing forever) I'd just make a bunch of stuff and try it out, but the alt has a lot less money/crafter skill, and the MB is hit or miss because Dynamis. I'd much rather preview stuff before I invest.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Ibram Gaunt posted:

anecdotally, male midlander is a red flag that the player is a 30-40 something year old dad with stable employment. idk why people think reactionary types would play midlander, the variety that would play ffxiv would absolutely enjoy playing their own waifu

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Dareon posted:

boring straight dudes will be forcibly excited, weren't you at the last gay agenda meeting? Although I kinda tuned the guy out, I'm not sure if he meant "emotionally excited" or "energetically excited" as with a giant space laser.

No no, the space laser is for the new years eve party

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

IthilionTheBrave posted:

As a completely different facet to the discussion, you also have people like me who, when given a game with a slew of sliders for customizing a character's face, just don't have the patience to fiddle with it to try and get something that looks good and just go with the default with maybe a few minor tweaks (like hair and eye color and style) and call it a day.

Does FFXIV have a randomizer? There's def a few games where I'll just mash random over and over until I get something that feels right

Or something very very wrong

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

hazardousmouse posted:

Does FFXIV have a randomizer? There's def a few games where I'll just mash random over and over until I get something that feels right

Or something very very wrong

It does! I remember discovering this during the Shadowbringers benchmark and having fun seeing the hrothgars it would make:

Far more powerful than I could ever be.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Hi Theodoric, maybe decide to put some context around this post. Maybe mention it's a year old, too?

biceps crimes posted:

anecdotally, male midlander is a red flag that the player is a 30-40 something year old dad with stable employment. idk why people think reactionary types would play midlander, the variety that would play ffxiv would absolutely enjoy playing their own waifu

I mean, I do see reactionary types play Midlander, but they're not all playing Midlander. From my recollection without going into it too hard, the lovely people gravitate to a few places:

Male midlander: As mentioned, the guys who are concerningly into Garlemald. Also probably the most likely to tip their hand that they're into far-right stuff outside the game.

Lalafel (either gender): The outright trolls and griefers; the people that are actually going in with the mindset of 'I'm going to cause problems on purpose'.

Female miqo'te or au ra: Like you said, the sexists more on the 'objectifying women' angle.

Male au ra (especially xaela): The sexists that are more into the 'toxic masculinity' angle. These guys gravitate toward any of the 'big man' male characters, but I think the heavy sexual dimorphism and Magnai tip the scales.

None of these are by any means a majority of the players of those races, or even the general image I have of that race/gender combo (my experience actually leads to characterizing male au ra more as 'what all the non-furry gay men are playing'). It's more just that, for the most part, if you see someone acting like that and then check out their character, they're usually playing that sort of character.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jan 4, 2024

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Truly there is no bigger red flag in this game than people who think Magnai should get laid ever

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Antivehicular posted:

Truly there is no bigger red flag in this game than people who think Magnai should get laid ever

I think Magnai should find his nhamaa or however that's spelled for five minutes. And it's Sadu, who had already rejected him countless times and does so once again. Then he gets charred for getting a little too fresh.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Post-Shadowbringers I do think it would be interesting to play through on an ult as the default midlander guy. I imagine all the interactions with Ardbert hit a bit differently if he's literally a mirror of the WoL.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

nah, man, let Sadu do her thing, don't stick that fuckin' barnacle on her

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

I thought the short story with Magnai was cute!

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Cleretic posted:

I mean, I do see reactionary types play Midlander, but they're not all playing Midlander. From my recollection without going into it too hard, the lovely people gravitate to a few places:

Male midlander: As mentioned, the guys who are concerningly into Garlemald. Also probably the most likely to tip their hand that they're into far-right stuff outside the game.

Lalafel (either gender): The outright trolls and griefers; the people that are actually going in with the mindset of 'I'm going to cause problems on purpose'.

Female miqo'te or au ra: Like you said, the sexists more on the 'objectifying women' angle.

Male au ra (especially xaela): The sexists that are more into the 'toxic masculinity' angle. These guys gravitate toward any of the 'big man' male characters, but I think the heavy sexual dimorphism and Magnai tip the scales.

None of these are by any means a majority of the players of those races, or even the general image I have of that race/gender combo (my experience actually leads to characterizing male au ra more as 'what all the non-furry gay men are playing'). It's more just that, for the most part, if you see someone acting like that and then check out their character, they're usually playing that sort of character.

Now you're just listing the most popular races and saying that most lovely people are those races. No kidding.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
if you see any of the race/gender combinations as a "red flag" you need to log off and interact with real human beings for a while imo

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

YggiDee posted:

Also something like midlander is excellent if you want to cosplay Terra

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Why are we making assumptions about people based on the shape of the butt that appears on their screen. If you manage to find a truly lovely person in game, it doesn't matter what their character race is because all are one in the blacklist.

And it's been forever since I've needed to add somebody to that so I dunno where you're running into those folks.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

ImpAtom posted:

Cleretic posted:

Absolutely unhinged posts from the both of you please dear god log off if you ever see someone's character and start doing your own personal phrenology on what it means about the player's personality and morality and intent.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Genovera posted:

Now you're just listing the most popular races and saying that most lovely people are those races. No kidding.

Yeah, but I never see a weird sexist playing a lalafel, is my point; different types of lovely people gravitate to different races. And if you want me to throw the least played races under the bus in terms of what I see of them, positive or negative:

Elezen of both genders and subraces, but especially Duskwight, are mostly just mad they keep getting marginalized by both the devs and playerbase.

Roegadyn men are mostly cool, kinda jokey. Female roegadyn make the fact that they are female roegadyn their whole thing, because they are abundantly aware that it's the single least popular race/gender combo.

Hrothgar are furry gay men. Every single one, as far as I can tell. Almost all of them are exceptionally nice, though.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Thundarr posted:

ngl I will immediately Fantasia when the art team finally adds a mi'qo muscle slider so my catgirl can be buff.

Qwertycoatl posted:

I'm a straight cis guy and I'm not going to let that stop my character being a bi catgirl who is also me.

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

the player character race/gender stereotyping sucks and is bad