Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I'm suprised I haven't heard more "woke SJW!!!!!" stuff about that new Transformers show, Earthspark, because it's main characters are black/Filipino and there's a NB Transformer called Nightshade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Junpei posted:

I'm suprised I haven't heard more "woke SJW!!!!!" stuff about that new Transformers show, Earthspark, because it's main characters are black/Filipino and there's a NB Transformer called Nightshade

Go look on TFW2005, there’s a bunch of people showing their whole rear end over it.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Oh huh, Greg Weisman started a new Gargoyles comic, which picks up from where his last attempt (which ran for 12 issues + 6 spinoff issues in 2007) left off. Not much to say about it so far since it's almost entirely reintroducing old characters (and introducing new ones from his intended spinoffs, which happened offscreen), but it's more Gargoyles; enjoy it while you can because you probably won't get to read another batch of issues until 2038.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

How were the previous comics out of curiosity?

Neat regardless though, let’s see how long things last this time

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
It's been 15 years since I read them--but I remember liking them, although I also recall that they were a bit confusingly written at times, and I could tell he was really trying to cram in all the spinoff ideas and plot elements he'd been planning since the 90s. Those comics picked up from the ending of S2, although the first issue of that run was a direct adaptation of the S3 premiere, which was the last thing he worked on before leaving the show.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Larryb posted:

How were the previous comics out of curiosity?

Neat regardless though, let’s see how long things last this time

Personally I thought they were honestly kind of iffy both in art and writing though not to an unreadable degree

New one is off to a great start though even with the rather large task of not only explaining much of the basics for people not familiar with Gargoyles(or at the very least probably haven't seen it since they were kids), but also covering stuff from the SLG run that even big fans of the show might not really know(particularly the "Timedancer" stuff that happened with Brooklyn), and also setting up new plots for future issues

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

drrockso20 posted:

New one is off to a great start though even with the rather large task of not only explaining much of the basics for people not familiar with Gargoyles(or at the very least probably haven't seen it since they were kids), but also covering stuff from the SLG run that even big fans of the show might not really know(particularly the "Timedancer" stuff that happened with Brooklyn), and also setting up new plots for future issues

It's not bad, certainly. I do wonder if Weisman might work towards Eliza being not a cop, but that might be too ingrained.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

The_Doctor posted:

Go look on TFW2005, there’s a bunch of people showing their whole rear end over it.

I had suspicions, I'm just saying that I hadn't seen anyone whining yet-which honestly probably says more about how casual a Transformers fan I am than anything else.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

It's not bad, certainly. I do wonder if Weisman might work towards Eliza being not a cop, but that might be too ingrained.

Are these comics still set in the 90s? That might make it more understandable to have a cop hero.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Animanics S3 has a release date (and seems like it’s going to be the last one):

https://twitter.com/TheAnimaniacs/status/1601636415598518272

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
My personal favourite short with the new show, besides the introduction of Julia in season 1, was the season 2 Pinky and the Brain short where they fuse into one body due to a teleportation incident, and Brain misunderstands the situation, fearing that he's becoming stupid when infact as he grows more easily distracted Pinky is becoming way smarter until they basically form a perfect balance, working better together than they ever did before and ever would again Also the other season 2 skit Pinky's Narfday had a brilliant ending. I think my favourite exchange in that one was "Why is it every time I ask you for the simplest thing you can't seem to manage even that, but today you've somehow planned it to perfection with multiple redundancies?!" "Well Brain, I think it's because this is all stuff that I WANT to do."

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Dec 10, 2022

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Larryb posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHitEDkbVqE

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Larryb posted:

how is the new series btw?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mr Interweb posted:

how is the new series btw?

A bit or miss (much like the 90’s version) and the Warners and Pinky & the Brain are the only characters that get shorts. The first two seasons are on Hulu if you want to try it out yourself

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, seems like even the staff of the show weren’t informed that Season 3 would be the end:

https://twitter.com/gabe_swarr/status/1602347801618386947

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Isn't that the standard cut off so the guild actors don't get a pay bump?

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
I was just going to blame Zaslav and continue to shake my fists at the clouds.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

Isn't that the standard cut off so the guild actors don't get a pay bump?

Nah, I think the pay bump is normally at two seasons (which is why Netflix likes to cheat by ordering long single seasons and then cutting in half). Disney has the three season rule, but that's for their own weird esoteric reasons.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
So this Youtuber I like called Keyan Carlile has started doing retrospectives on Disney sitcoms, and they've been really good so far. His first one was on Lab Rats, then he did one on Mighty Med, then the crossover series between the two, Lab Rats: Elite Force, and he just dropped the first part of one on Wizards of Waverly Place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0K0TXslm_g

Here's the original Lab Rats vid.

He's a good mix of in-depth but also humorous, and he's also got some other videos on stuff like Transformers, Milo Murphy's Law, Gravity Falls, etc. The retrospectives are def long, sometimes upwards of three hours, but I'd say it's worth a watch if you're curious about how they hold up (or... not, in the case of Elite Force).

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Junpei posted:

The retrospectives are def long, sometimes upwards of three hours,

I see you're not familiar with my friend Quinton Reviews

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sockser posted:

I see you're not familiar with my friend Quinton Reviews

I mean, who doesn't want to watch an 8 hour video on iCarly, right?

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
When I was a kid, I didn't really like the kid-oriented sitcoms because they always felt like the kind of show that characters in tv shows and movies would be watching on their tvs, so I wonder just how much of common culture amongst my generation and the next I selected myself out of, and thus these retrospectives kinda fill in some gaps.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Junpei posted:

So this Youtuber I like called Keyan Carlile has started doing retrospectives on Disney sitcoms, and they've been really good so far. His first one was on Lab Rats, then he did one on Mighty Med, then the crossover series between the two, Lab Rats: Elite Force, and he just dropped the first part of one on Wizards of Waverly Place.

Huh. I genuinely didn't know the principal in that show was played by Naruto's dub actor. Neat.

nine-gear crow posted:

I mean, who doesn't want to watch an 8 hour video on iCarly, right?

"Here, Spencer has brought in an ostrich. The ostrich is treated like any other in door animal pet, which is patently absurd as an ostrich is not such a pet. This is done for the sake of comedy. Surprisingly there is no subplot with the ostrich and it is never mentioned again. Moving on, Gibby takes off his shirt."

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
what was that show about the kid that was a secret agent but the twist is its a show about making the secret agent show?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Ups_rail posted:

what was that show about the kid that was a secret agent but the twist is its a show about making the secret agent show?

The Famous Jett Jackson iirc

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I feel like kid-oriented sitcoms have a pretty narrow appeal, since kids generally don't want to watch shows about kids even younger than they are, but they'll start to find a show pretty juvenile and hard to relate to quick as they age into the featured demographic. Also, a lot just plain suck. Can really tell no one was paying any real attention to cartoons.

And I'm pretty sure a shitton of them existed just so pedophile executives can have easier access to victims.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

So I guess I'm just frittering my day away watching retrospectives on the Lab Rats and adjacent series and Keyan's reaction to finding out that the one guy from Mighty Med was both an NFT bro and attempted murderer and blamed it on his PTSD was great.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Xelkelvos posted:

The Famous Jett Jackson iirc

Famous Jett Jackson had nothing to do with a show about secret agents, it was a kid famous for playing secret agents coming home and wanting to live a normal life, whereas everyone around him wanting to make him a massive celeb.

Unless the later episodes got extremely weird.

e: Ooorr they later made a TV movie with that exact same plot apparently, how weird.

Airspace fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Dec 14, 2022

Chicken Thumbs
Oct 21, 2020

Time is dead and meaning has no meaning!
Speaking of incredibly long deep dives, here's a goon's incredibly interesting 8 hour 43 minute look at Sonic Underground if you haven't seen it https://youtu.be/EJAd58QUuY8

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Jesus is Sonic Underground that long if you put every episode in order?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

TwoPair posted:

Jesus is Sonic Underground that long if you put every episode in order?

It's about 14 hours front to back, so just Thron's video is about just over half the runtime of the show itself.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

The world needs more videos as long as the average work shift about basally anything and everything in my personal and humble opinion.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Watching Keyan's videos mean YouTube thinks I suddenly want to watch a lot of videos of DeGrassi which is not... untrue.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Chicken Thumbs posted:

Speaking of incredibly long deep dives, here's a goon's incredibly interesting 8 hour 43 minute look at Sonic Underground if you haven't seen it https://youtu.be/EJAd58QUuY8

a nearly NINE HOUR video on sonic underground of all things? beyond insane on every level :psyduck:

yes i'm watching it. what of it? :colbert:

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Chicken Thumbs posted:

I beat Quinton's record by just over half an hour, and I wasn't even trying to :v:

gently caress no I'm never going that long again, he can keep that crown

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
e: wrong thread

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

A third Avatar series is apparently coming in 2025:

https://avatarnews.co/post/704388959323717632/exclusive-the-next-avatar-animated-series

Also earth kingdom Avatar confirmed I guess

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Dec 23, 2022

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Huh. Post Korra? Okay, sure.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Given the trajectory of things I guess this'll be 'Avatar in the modern day'.

Then in ten years we'll get cyberpunk future fire Avatar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MikeJF posted:

Given the trajectory of things I guess this'll be 'Avatar in the modern day'.

Korra was Avatar in the 1920s/30s so I’m curious how much further in the future this one will be