Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Nenonen posted:

UN could lease or sell the mandate to the highest bidding Caribbean cruise company and then use that income for humanitarian aid. Labadee's already peaceful, might as well expand from there.

:goofy:

please don't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Eric Cantonese posted:

If Cuba is still too beholden to US influence, who should be in charge of any international effort to restore order in Haiti? I'm pretty sure China would not be interested.

This entire time the US has been banging on about how there should be a UN mission of some flavor led by somebody not USA. I believe I read something about Portugal being in the hot seat but I don't really know how the UN determines these things.

The summary I read of the Montana Accords does seem sensible but yes they do also assume that the various petty warlords (which is what the gangs are) either buy in or get marginalized. Indeed, this eventuality seems to be on the mind of at least some of the warlords, and a driver of their pushes for more territory. When the music stops playing, you don't want to be the guy whose mortal foe, Dude From Next Neighborhood Over, gets back the precinct police chief hat and has a mandate to clean up the streets and restore lawn order, no need to thank me citizens, please direct any complaints to this concrete room what has a drain in the floor.

Thing is, the Haitian government does not appear capable of pressuring the warlords on its lonesome, which means that each and every warlord needs to be either coopted (highly distasteful but possibly the least bad option) or squashed (by foreign intervention or other coopted warlords). In the meantime, unless diplomacy pans out instantly and is a thing the Haitian government is willing to do in the first place, a humanitarian campaign is probably advisable.

Providing aid in a collapsed, warlordized state isn't a solved problem, exactly, but it's one where the challenges are reasonably well known. It generally requires a bare minimum of security (which the govt is probably unable to reliably provide) to at least keep all your stuff from being stolen at point of service and your people from also being stolen for ransom. You need a lot MORE security if you want to make sure the people you're helping don't get screwed with immediately after, so if that's a thing we would like to see happen, that circles right back to "give the warlords what they want and/or send in a bunch of UN troops".

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Dec 7, 2022

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Theres a coup going on on Peru, it seems

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1600547105835294722

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Marenghi posted:

This is nonsense. North Korea are under sanctions, does that make them beholden to US influence?

Yes? The US has massive control over their economic and diplomatic options based supposedly on their actions.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Afaict the notional reason for impeachment is corruption stuff that I am completely incapable of evaluating. Apparently it's relatively easy to impeach Peruvian presidents (if they don't dissolve parliament :v: ).

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Google Jeb Bush posted:

Afaict the notional reason for impeachment is corruption stuff that I am completely incapable of evaluating. Apparently it's relatively easy to impeach Peruvian presidents (if they don't dissolve parliament :v: ).

Same, but being south america, I would bet the main corruption he is guilt of is being a leftist in power

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Elias_Maluco posted:

Same, but being south america, I would bet the main corruption he is guilt of is being a leftist in power

what leftist stuff has he done?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

i say swears online posted:

what leftist stuff has he done?

You got me there, I really havent been following the politics of Peru. I only know he is a leftist

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009
From what I've been hearing people are scared shitless of what the military will do. There's hope cooler heads will prevail since they aren't really on Castillo's boat and have never been but it's going to be chaos for a while.

Who the gently caress attemps a self-coup without the military is beyond me so the guy must be really desperate or even dumber than I thought.

One thing is certain, when the dust settles we're not going to have another "leftist" president for another 50 years. gently caress that guy.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I'd been meaning to ask about Peru since a lot of stuff pops up Timerman's Regional Daily Briefing (great way to get a general idea of what's going on even if it seems to lack local sources...).

Castillo's been having tons of problems with the Congress but I know nothing about him. Maybe he is corrupt, not a huge surprise for the region, but what I think I read is that he's not Conservative and not from the Fujimori faction, which Congress I think belongs too. Anyway, they've pretty much prevented him from leaving the country on presidential duties and other things and it seems incredibly dysfunctional. They may have forced his hand, but dissolving Congress is never a good look. I hope it goes ok for them over there.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Google Jeb Bush posted:

From my comrade who has contacts in Peru (he was one of the leaders in the DSA International Committee delegation for that election); basically he's hosed the Peruvian left because he kept getting told there were not enough votes to get him impeached

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

congress has been dissolved, but also it still exists and is doing votes

https://twitter.com/BrazilBrian/status/1600563510911516672

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009
I just watched the speech and you can see him trembling. He did bite more than he could chew.

The two line bio for Castillo is this: he's a left leaning rural school teacher who led a strike a few years back and was conned into being the candidate for a left wing party who's leader knew he could never be chosen because he could never stop saying dumb poo poo about Venezuela. Also he was about to be imprisoned.

Being both he and Perú Libre basically reactionary on certain issues (doing the gay is a big no no), he had to tone down the bullshit and got elected on second round riding the wave of antifujimorismo once again.

As soon as they got in power he had to wrestle his well meaning intentions with the nutjobs from his party who felt that he owed them and soon entire councils of ministers were resigning and only the wackos remained by his side. Add to that that Congress is a cesspool made to make this kind of goverments unstable, never forgetting that the country is still running on the constitution made by the last guy who self-couped himself.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

does the president of peru have the power to dissolve congress? if so, who coup'd who?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Ulvino posted:

I just watched the speech and you can see him trembling. He did bite more than he could chew.

The two line bio for Castillo is this: he's a left leaning rural school teacher who led a strike a few years back and was conned into being the candidate for a left wing party who's leader knew he could never be chosen because he could never stop saying dumb poo poo about Venezuela. Also he was about to be imprisoned.

Being both he and Perú Libre basically reactionary on certain issues (doing the gay is a big no no), he had to tone down the bullshit and got elected on second round riding the wave of antifujimorismo once again.

As soon as they got in power he had to wrestle his well meaning intentions with the nutjobs from his party who felt that he owed them and soon entire councils of ministers were resigning and only the wackos remained by his side. Add to that that Congress is a cesspool made to make this kind of goverments unstable, never forgetting that the country is still running on the constitution made by the last guy who self-couped himself.

Thank you that explains a lot. At least contextualizes a touch better. I hope this doesn't go down dark roads for them.

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009
He couped himself to own the coupers.

The 1993 Constitution was born of a self-coup, it's a classic.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

https://twitter.com/KawsachunNews/status/1600577725663682560?s=20&t=C_YQ8rT9dcLk2EVLOqY1_g

Castillo arrested by the military. That is quite the statue.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the fujimori shrine has been activated

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I'm reading about Peru's Congress now and I'm impressed they've managed to get eleven parties in there with a 5% threshold.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

i say swears online posted:

does the president of peru have the power to dissolve congress? if so, who coup'd who?

No. What he attempted to do is a criminal offense, akin to high treason or other crimes against the constitutional order.

The Peru constitution can be found here: https://www.constituteproject.org/constitution/Peru_2021.pdf?lang=en

There is precisely one situation where the President may dissolve Congress: if it has censured or denied confidence to two Cabinets. It is explicit there are no other grounds to dissolve Congress:

quote:

Article 134 The President of the Republic has the power to dissolve Congress if it has censured or denied its confidence to two Cabinets.

The dissolution decree shall contain a call for the election of a new Congress. Such elections shall be held within four months of the dissolution of Congress, without any alteration of the existing electoral system.

Congress may not be dissolved during the last year of its term.

Once Congress is dissolved, the Permanent Assembly, which may not be dissolved, continues exercising its functions.

There is no other form to revoke the parliamentary mandate.

Under a state of siege, Congress may not be dissolved.

It is clearly specified that attempting to dissolve Congress outside of that is a criminal offense for the President that he may be charged for even while he's still President:

quote:

Article 117 During his term of office, the President of the Republic may only be charged with: committing high treason; preventing presidential, congressional, regional, or municipal elections; dissolving Congress, except in cases as set forth in article 134 of the Constitution; and preventing the meeting or operation of Congress, the National Election Board, or other bodies of the election system.

So in short: the Peru president clearly does not have the power to dissolve Congress unless it censured or denied confidence to two separate cabinets, and trying to do so is an offense against the state where it is appropriate to arrest him prior to being removed. It is an attempted coup, in the same way it would be if President Trump had tried to dissolve Congress.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

why did he press the "arrest me" button?

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
This was the third time congress tried to oust him and they succeeded.

So he was screwed anyway and this was a hail mary play to stay on.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

a hail mary is in the playbook, this seems like him trying to shoot the ref

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009
VP already sworn in as president. poo poo's happening fast.

I still cannot fathom how he thought he could pull this off. He's had the worst advisors since day one but still, he must have had some agency on it.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
So Cristina is going to jail for 6 years?

Unlikely, but yay

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Curious about Dina Boluarte as an ignorant American observer -- from Googling it looks like she ran and lost as a Libertarian in 2018 before attaching herself to a leftist ticket where she got expelled from the party for not being leftist enough?

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY

Marenghi posted:

This is nonsense. North Korea are under sanctions, does that make them beholden to US influence?
In the case of North Korea, the sanctions are global and enforced throughout the world, save for some exceptions from regimes like China or old allies like Lao PDR. Quite different from Cuba which is unilaterally sanctioned from the US.

Other posters have already addressed the other issues with your response.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Mr. Nemo posted:

So Cristina is going to jail for 6 years?

Unlikely, but yay

She's still protected from this while she's VP, supposedly Argentina is also pretty lenient on the elderly being in actual prisons and she'll be over 70 by the time all her offices have expired so will likely be able to appeal for house arrest.

Spice World War II
Jul 12, 2004
https://twitter.com/petrogustavo/status/1600871947734114305?s=20&t=rdBWfnFHGp_vS6znrYxe9g

Auto translate works pretty well for the whole tweet thread.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

God why did I keep reading the replies...

I'm real out of touch with my diaspora what having grown up in the US and then moving to France, but some of those replies were stressful. I don't know how Petro is doing but he actually wants to do something in Colombia, which hasn't changed in decades, so more power to him if he can even move in an inch in the right direction.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://twitter.com/MacheteyMate/status/1601177319519191041
Pretty good nuanced takes on what is going on in Peru and how it's a catastrophe for the left in Peru

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

Curious about Dina Boluarte as an ignorant American observer -- from Googling it looks like she ran and lost as a Libertarian in 2018 before attaching herself to a leftist ticket where she got expelled from the party for not being leftist enough?

libertarian peru and free peru are the same party,

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

The president of the Dominican Republic called for intervention in Haiti and I was trying to figure out where he is on the political spectrum.

Wikipedia says his party is in the São Paulo Forum but apparently the other two major parties he beat in 2020 are also in the São Paulo Forum so who knows what’s going on there

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
Strange, only 2 months ago when the US was looking for LatAm partners to lead the intervention, he said DR would not support a military intervention. If he wanted one then would have been the time to step up.

DR have also been increasing deportations of Haitans, and basing it on the darkness of their skin tone.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I mean, has it gotten worse in the past 2 months?

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

[sobbing] Look at the circles under my eyes. I haven't slept in weeks!

Any Panamanian goons out there? My wife and I were on our way to Peru but decided to sit out the potential cool zone experience(tm). Alternatively, any Lima goons wanna convince us to go?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lima's going to be like 99% fine, i would even think cuzco is okay for tourists

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

[sobbing] Look at the circles under my eyes. I haven't slept in weeks!

Yeah we're in Lima now, it seems normal so far. Feels weird to be vacationing but we had been planning this trip for like 2 years. On another note Lima is a super dope city.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY
The transport situation and pollution is awful in Lima. But it's one of Latin America's greatest cities for food: such an amazing culinary scene there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

That dude attempted to self-coup at gunpoint, he never had a chance