Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I remember a mod that did geographic difficulty in Skyrim on the loose basis of "generally, the higher the altitude, the higher the level scaling of enemies that spawn there" which seemed neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

A Sometimes Food posted:

I like building up a town as like quests where you like get material so they can build a windmill or help them decide what to build etc. Cause this way you can still actually write towns to have personalities which the FO4 sandbox building didn't.

TES VI: Bannerlord.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

cheesetriangles posted:

Only if it's like Everquest Xenoblade where you will randomly get attacked by a level 45 monster Territorial Rotbart in a level 10 zone.
:yeah:

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Razakai posted:

Looking at mods, anyone familiar with Arena/OWL and LORA? All look like good ways to introduce a bit of difficulty/interesting loot without unleveling.

I liked OWL for handling loot and had Arena override for encounter zones, where OWL uses Arena's approach almost as-is but puts an upper limit unlike Arena.

There are some useful mods that make handling OWL's leveled lists easier since they're not meant to be merged like normal leveled lists. My post history has links and a patch for them.

If you're looking for a general gameplay overhaul recommendation, SimonRim as a whole is excellent. I used those as the core and then layered some of the 3rd person mods, Precision, all the new animation frameworks, etc around it. Didn't use Valhalla Combat and similar.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

A Sometimes Food posted:

I like building up a town as like quests where you like get material so they can build a windmill or help them decide what to build etc. Cause this way you can still actually write towns to have personalities which the FO4 sandbox building didn't.

There was a really fun Fallout 4 mod where you would build bedrooms and shops and things and the NPCs would move in and decorate them from a series of random templates that people had made. The settlement would level up over time and with investment, and the rooms would get more complicated and the industrial stuff they could do would likewise get more complex. It was a really, really neat mod, but kind of had some problems where it wasn't particularly stable, especially if you made the mistake of trying to set things up in the starting town, the nearby gas station, and the other town nearby that because of some limits as to how much stuff could be processed at once.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Sim Settlements! It's gotten a lot fancier since the early days, as it now has a sequel with its own parallell campaign about "rebuilding the Commonwealth", with some quality voice acting to boot. Apparently it gives a lot more characterization and motive to the Gunners, who serve as the campaign's antagonists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4-P6M0iDn4

e: Basically you're now helping settlers build whole settlements of their own, without having to micromanage everything. You just select which "City Plan" you want, provide some starting resources, and let them do their thing. Towns grow and improve over time.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Dec 4, 2022

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here

v1ld posted:

I liked OWL for handling loot and had Arena override for encounter zones, where OWL uses Arena's approach almost as-is but puts an upper limit unlike Arena.

There are some useful mods that make handling OWL's leveled lists easier since they're not meant to be merged like normal leveled lists. My post history has links and a patch for them.

If you're looking for a general gameplay overhaul recommendation, SimonRim as a whole is excellent. I used those as the core and then layered some of the 3rd person mods, Precision, all the new animation frameworks, etc around it. Didn't use Valhalla Combat and similar.

How does it stack up against the Enai mods? I played with those a while back and remember enjoying it. At a glance both do similar things but Simon is a more vanilla like?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Simon is more vanilla like for some things, and tries to balance things a little more. I’ve been swapping Simon and enai setups for the last couple characters and you definitely get stronger on the enai set.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

My preferred playstyle is mage which in vanilla Skyrim sucks poo poo so any mod that buffs it massively is nice.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

SimonRim is called vanilla+ and while that's a very fair characterization I feel it misses out on its biggest feature IMHO: how much synergy the mods have with each other in a way that vanilla simply doesn't have.

I tried to avoid using ~synergy~, but that's the right word here: perks combine well with magic and combat. The way armor interacts with the perk trees is neat too: I had a Battle Mage build using Robes as chest piece so I could use Alteration's boost to the mage while still being able to use light or heavy in the other slots, for example.

So reading the individual perks or spells won't necessarily convey how well it all works together.

You definitely want the amendments made in Hand To Hand if you're running SimonRim. Those changes are only separated out because they require SKSE unlike the rest of the mods, but they're key IMO.

It's a lean system: each perk is a significant boost but there are not a great amount of them, same with the spell system. So if you prefer having a large arsenal of spells and perks to play with, SimonRim will feel underwhelming.

E: The Experience mod and its Static Skill Leveling add on are great, recommend taking a look at them. I don't think I'll use vanilla leveling again. Worked particularly well with SimonRim where I had a build in mind and wanted to allocate skill points myself, not grind out points in the trees I was interested in.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Dec 4, 2022

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Razakai posted:

Yeah, I guess unleveling isn't compatible with a 'go anywhere' Skyrim, which is what I'm after, especially as a mage or something where you want to start at Winterhold.
Looking at mods, anyone familiar with Arena/OWL and LORA? All look like good ways to introduce a bit of difficulty/interesting loot without unleveling.

Here's the post I was referring to earlier. Suggest both the mods linked there or, better, my merge of the two - unless you're using WACCF or the OWL author's own mod that mucks with armor/weapon progression, which is a mess. Unfortunately, both WACCF and the OWL author's mod make changes all over the place; neither is particularly restrained in trying to fix one problem or a few problems - can't recommend either myself.

I tried LORA for a few levels and gave it up because it is too heavily weighted towards RNG. So you get mostly famine with the very occasional over-done feast instead of the more gradual progression I was hoping for and which Arena/OWL do pretty well.

For unleveled, there are several options including of course Requiem. There's also a Synthesis-based patcher that will unlevel the world for you using parameters you provide. I thought I wanted unleveled but realized what I was looking for was better leveling rather. Requiem is good, but I think it's better if you're already really familiar with the locations of many things in the game - not good for someone like me who's picking up the game after many years.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
This has been very helpful. Last question (probably (for now)) - I was taking a look at https://dragonbornsfate.github.io/intro.html and thinking of using that as a baseline (albeit maybe with Enai mods instead of Simon, cause I want to play a mage and have a bunch of wacky spells). Any opinions on that as a base? Using the 3rd person mods mentioned sound fun as well, I've never been particularly keen on 1st person.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

v1ld posted:

SimonRim is called vanilla+ and while that's a very fair characterization I feel it misses out on its biggest feature IMHO: how much synergy the mods have with each other in a way that vanilla simply doesn't have.

I tried to avoid using ~synergy~, but that's the right word here: perks combine well with magic and combat. The way armor interacts with the perk trees is neat too: I had a Battle Mage build using Robes as chest piece so I could use Alteration's boost to the mage while still being able to use light or heavy in the other slots, for example.

So reading the individual perks or spells won't necessarily convey how well it all works together.

You definitely want the amendments made in Hand To Hand if you're running SimonRim. Those changes are only separated out because they require SKSE unlike the rest of the mods, but they're key IMO.

It's a lean system: each perk is a significant boost but there are not a great amount of them, same with the spell system. So if you prefer having a large arsenal of spells and perks to play with, SimonRim will feel underwhelming.

E: The Experience mod and its Static Skill Leveling add on are great, recommend taking a look at them. I don't think I'll use vanilla leveling again. Worked particularly well with SimonRim where I had a build in mind and wanted to allocate skill points myself, not grind out points in the trees I was interested in.

Static Skill levelling is really good but one day it flat out stopped working for me. Like I couldn't level up skills at all.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

^^^ That sucks, did you report it? It's built into a bunch of popular modlists, including Wildlander, so it's probably some incompatibility in your lists or, if you've been particularly unlucky, a bad save somewhere along the way - going back through your saves to where it works may be worthwhile.

Razakai posted:

This has been very helpful. Last question (probably (for now)) - I was taking a look at https://dragonbornsfate.github.io/intro.html and thinking of using that as a baseline (albeit maybe with Enai mods instead of Simon, cause I want to play a mage and have a bunch of wacky spells). Any opinions on that as a base?

Yeah, it's a good base. So is the STEP guide. I started with the latter and skipped a bunch of mods of the type I wasn't interested in, made my own choices elsewhere, etc. but also went over all the suggestions in the DBF list.

STEP is particularly good IMO for the LOD portions - the author is knowledgeable on the topic and keeps it up to date. If you plan on doing DyndoLOD in particular, strongly suggest checking the STEP guide and just following it blindly so as to avoid having to learn an obtuse topic.

For the OWL stuff, found an image of how to handle load order I posted in this thread.

Razakai posted:

Using the 3rd person mods mentioned sound fun as well, I've never been particularly keen on 1st person.

If it's useful, here's the list of 3rd person/animation mods I was using and also the ones I skipped.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Dec 4, 2022

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

ThaumPenguin posted:

Honestly the Fallout 4 geographical difficulty approach is probably the best move (starting zone is easy, difficulty steadily increases in every direction), though I'm doubtful of how well it would translate to Skyrim, as the latter wasn't designed with geographical difficulty in mind. Maybe each town could be the center of a beginner-friendly zone, with the difficulty increasing the further off the beaten path you get?

I imagine for a lot of people this is a great gameplay experience but for me I think it would be too gamey and ruin muh immersion

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here

v1ld posted:

^^^ That sucks, did you report it? It's built into a bunch of popular modlists, including Wildlander, so it's probably some incompatibility in your lists or, if you've been particularly unlucky, a bad save somewhere along the way - going back through your saves to where it works may be worthwhile.

Yeah, it's a good base. So is the STEP guide. I started with the latter and skipped a bunch of mods of the type I wasn't interested in, made my own choices elsewhere, etc. but also went over all the suggestions in the DBF list.

STEP is particularly good IMO for the LOD portions - the author is knowledgeable on the topic and keeps it up to date. If you plan on doing DyndoLOD in particular, strongly suggest checking the STEP guide and just following it blindly so as to avoid having to learn an obtuse topic.

For the OWL stuff, found an image of how to handle load order I posted in this thread.

If it's useful, here's the list of 3rd person/animation mods I was using and also the ones I skipped.

Cool, thanks. STEP + full fat Enai mods / some Simon mods + 3rd person stuff and OWL seems like what I want.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
What's the process look like for installing mods on Skyrim running on a Steam Deck?

I'm pretty familiar with the process on a Windows desktop, but I'd imagine browsing the Nexus and using Mod Manager isn't as straightforward on a handheld, even if it's running Linux under the hood.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Annath posted:

What's the process look like for installing mods on Skyrim running on a Steam Deck?

I'm pretty familiar with the process on a Windows desktop, but I'd imagine browsing the Nexus and using Mod Manager isn't as straightforward on a handheld, even if it's running Linux under the hood.

Here's an effort post on this.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

v1ld posted:

Here's an effort post on this.

Thank you!

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

MO2 on the Deck will slow down over time once you have a ton of mods installed, forcing you to eventually close and reopen it. Doesn't affect the game itself, of course - just modding sessions.

So another option is to do all your MO2 sessions on a Windows box and rsync it over to the Deck. Ideally you would only need to rsync the MO2 folders, not the actual Skyrim install itself which only needs a few tweaks early on.

I'm doing just this for STALKER GAMMA since it uses Powershell for its installer and that doesn't work easily under Linux/Proton so I update under Windows and rsync it over to the Deck. Works pretty well if you use rsync and not a blind copy of all the data.

E: That wasn't clear, what I meant is something like (untested):
- Install MO2 on Deck as in effort post
- rsync that MO2 install to Windows box
- Do most of your MO2 messing around on Windows box
- rsync just the MO2 folders back to Deck when done

One advantage is you can rsync in either direction. So if you make changes on the Deck, it's easy enough to rsync it back to your Windows box.

I found the slowdown in MO2 tolerable and did everything on the Deck.

There's also a Linux Gaming thread that can be useful for Deck modding.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Dec 6, 2022

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
So I’ve been playing my Septimus 3 run for at least a couple dozen hours and it’s been smooth and stable in all that time. Today I started the Potema quest in Solitude where you go into the catacombs and slay her spirit, and just after the penultimate encounter where she shoots lightning at you and spawns dragur at you, the game crashed. I started it back up and was able to proceed, but then after about 15 minutes maybe the game just crashed again as I was making my way back to Solitude. Started again, crashed at random again after another 15 minutes. I let this pattern play out 2 more times and I gave up.

Anyone know how to troubleshoot something like this? Is it possible to figure out what might be going on? I’ve never tried playing with this many mods due to fears of instability, and here I am. Bitch of it is I was having a lot of fun with Skyrim again for the first time in a while. Only thing I can think of is I have a lot over manual saves - like almost 200 of them because I would just make a new one every time I felt like doing a hard save. Could the presence of all those files be loving things up somehow?

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I try to keep less than two hundred saves in the main save folder as a time, while moving older ones into another folder. It saves a lot of load time for whenever you're opening the save screen.

For direct Septimus advice I'd recommend joining the Discord and uploading your NET Script Framework crash log there (you might want to take a peek at it first yourself, though). The crash log might be in your MO2 Overwrite folder, can't quite recall. There's information about it in the Discord channel.
https://discord.com/invite/WF66mMu

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I tend to keep fewer than 50 saves, especially once I get near level 20 because I noticed that once I hit somewhere around level 20-25 I would start getting regular ctd's on transition screens and sleep/wait, sometimes even on saving itself. Keeping saves low does help as the game reads every save file so giving it less to read helps a lot.
'Random' ctd's while just playing can usually be traced back to a specific cause, especially if they are repeatable, so a crashlog is really useful in those cases even it ends up just being Skyrim being Skyrim as the crash cause.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
drat, and here I am over here thinking having 3 manual saves along with the quicksaves and autosaves was pushing it.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

VostokProgram posted:

I imagine for a lot of people this is a great gameplay experience but for me I think it would be too gamey and ruin muh immersion

Really? I always felt like some areas being more or less dangerous than others is much more immersive. Like yeah the sparsely populated farmland too poor to support powerful raiders is much safer than the mutated hellswamp or the surrounds of where the militarised cult lives.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
A "radiating" difficulty like above but centered on cities/towns with a few exceptions would be my favourite. Makes logical sense that scarier stuff is further from civilization, works well with alternative starting locations, and good for gameplay as you'd get a clear progression as you travelled further.
The current deleveled world stuff seems to have annoying ideas based on "realism" like Bleak Falls Barrow being a level 20 zone with a boss twice that level, because it's near a village and if it wasn't absurdly lethal it'd obviously be looted by now.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Leal posted:

drat, and here I am over here thinking having 3 manual saves along with the quicksaves and autosaves was pushing it.

I like using a rotational save manager that will keep a fixed number of saves based on important events - discover new location, finish quest, finish dungeon, etc. Usually set the number to 10-15 total. Plus the odd manual save at critical moments that'll get deleted in the occasional mass purge. But I never cross 15-20 total I would think.

The Auto Save and Time mod is excellent. It also tries to ensure "safe" saves.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

A Sometimes Food posted:

Really? I always felt like some areas being more or less dangerous than others is much more immersive. Like yeah the sparsely populated farmland too poor to support powerful raiders is much safer than the mutated hellswamp or the surrounds of where the militarised cult lives.

Variation itself is good I just don't like the whole "this corner of the map is safe and it gets smoothly more dangerous as you go further in every direction".

Razakai posted:

A "radiating" difficulty like above but centered on cities/towns with a few exceptions would be my favourite. Makes logical sense that scarier stuff is further from civilization, works well with alternative starting locations, and good for gameplay as you'd get a clear progression as you travelled further.
The current deleveled world stuff seems to have annoying ideas based on "realism" like Bleak Falls Barrow being a level 20 zone with a boss twice that level, because it's near a village and if it wasn't absurdly lethal it'd obviously be looted by now.

Something like this would be fine. I would probably do it so the safest places are the major roadways connecting big cities but various shortcuts require you to go through dangerous areas.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I've installed Skyrim on my Steam Deck, so this evening after work I'm gonna try to get MO working using those instructions posted above.

Hopefully it works - I really love the idea of portable Skyrim.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

ThaumPenguin posted:

I try to keep less than two hundred saves in the main save folder as a time, while moving older ones into another folder. It saves a lot of load time for whenever you're opening the save screen.

For direct Septimus advice I'd recommend joining the Discord and uploading your NET Script Framework crash log there (you might want to take a peek at it first yourself, though). The crash log might be in your MO2 Overwrite folder, can't quite recall. There's information about it in the Discord channel.
https://discord.com/invite/WF66mMu

Thanks for the tip. I found the crash logs and they said pretty plainly, “Possible cause: Hjoromir.” Shame, but really I was only keeping him around for the comic relief. He was useless, so I sent him home. No crashes since!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
So I appear to have smashed up against some strange arbitrary limit in Mod Organizer where it has decided that 2011 plugins in the absolute hard limit it will allow to exist in a load order. Not even active, just existing, completely deactivated. I have two mods active right now purely for testing purposes, SkyUI and USSEP. The vast, vaaaast majority of these plugins are all ESLs and mostly comparability patches for poo poo like Cities of the North and other location-altering mods. So the second MO detects a 2012th plugin in the load order, active or not, doesn't matter what plugin it is, I've tried it with multiple different mods, either way it will crash Skyrim before it loads to the main menu.

Has anyone encountered this before? Am I just going to have to ruthlessly prune the mods I've accumulated over my time with the game just to make sure it MO never goes over 2012 plugins, or is there some kind of fix for this?

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

nine-gear crow posted:

So I appear to have smashed up against some strange arbitrary limit in Mod Organizer where it has decided that 2011 plugins in the absolute hard limit it will allow to exist in a load order. Not even active, just existing, completely deactivated. I have two mods active right now purely for testing purposes, SkyUI and USSEP. The vast, vaaaast majority of these plugins are all ESLs and mostly comparability patches for poo poo like Cities of the North and other location-altering mods. So the second MO detects a 2012th plugin in the load order, active or not, doesn't matter what plugin it is, I've tried it with multiple different mods, either way it will crash Skyrim before it loads to the main menu.

Has anyone encountered this before? Am I just going to have to ruthlessly prune the mods I've accumulated over my time with the game just to make sure it MO never goes over 2012 plugins, or is there some kind of fix for this?

How many ESM and ESP's do you have together? because there is still the hard limit of 254 ESM and ESP even though you can have 4096 espfe's loaded in the game.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Helith posted:

How many ESM and ESP's do you have together? because there is still the hard limit of 254 ESM and ESP even though you can have 4096 espfe's loaded in the game.

226 ESP/ESMs and 1,777 ESLs for a total of 2003 plugins after some mild pruning away of poo poo I figured I probably didn't need. Still absolutely nowhere near either of those hard limits.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
while esls technically have a 4096 hard limit, the actual esl limit ends up being way lower depending on how many records each esl adds (see https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/articles/625)

quote:

Q: Are there any restrictions on how many of these ESPFEs you can use?

A: SSE can theoretically handle up to 4096 mods in FE space (be they ESL or ESPFE), but there's also a restriction on how many total FormIDs they collectively add. A single ESL/ESPFE can only add 2048 FormIDs, and if every single ESL/ESPFE you use adds a maximum 2048 FormID's, this brings the total number of mods you can load in FE space down to 300. Which is still a hell of a lot, and the vast majority of mods in ESL space aren't going to add that many FormIDs. The biggest patch on this page modifies less than 80 FormID's, and not a single one of them *adds* a new FormID, so I think the term "featherweight" is appropriate. Let me reiterate that *modified* records do not count against any of these limits - only new records in your ESPFE plugin count, and patches rarely need to have any new records.

on top of that, the exe can only open so many files handles at once. by default, the cap is 512 files, but SSE Engine Fixes increases that to 2048. so the plugins + whatever script/mesh/texture/config/etc files skyrim reads on start may be bumping into that limit

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

v1ld posted:

I keep meaning to write up the Steam Deck modding process properly, but keep putting it off. Here's the stream of consciousness version so something is out there before I forget.

Use the MO2 installer at https://github.com/rockerbacon/modorganizer2-linux-installer - but be SURE to run the game at least once through Steam before doing this. By running the game, Steam will create the Wine/Proton prefix needed to run MO2 and all the other tools you need. This will also create the registry entries other tools will need to find your Skyrim install.

The prefix is a folder at /home/deck/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/<appid> where's Skyrim SE's appid is 489830. If you ever bork your MO2 setup somehow and need to clean your underlying Windows state, either remove or rename that folder and relaunch the game from Steam. This will recreate a fresh one for you. The prefix is essentially a brand new Windows install for just that game to run in, so you can then reinstall any programs you had installed in the borked instance and nothing is really lost. This works because all of your mods and other state are all in the MO2 install, which is all outside the prefix.

The MO2 Linux installer has a dependency on protontricks which you can install through the Discover app in Desktop Mode which installs a Flatpak. That failed for me, but it shouldn't have so do try it. I chose to instead have Arch, the underlying Linux distro under SteamOS, install it by enabling Arch package installation on the Deck. Here's one write up on how to enable rw on your internal filesystem and enable the Arch keys needed: https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/t8al0i/install_arch_packages_on_your_steam_deck/ Once you've done this, run "yay -S protontricks" from the konsole command line and respond y to the prompts.

One detail worth noting is that the MO2 Linux installer assumes you're going to run Skyrim 1.6.* and installs a SKSE for 1.6 for you. Suggest removing that and putting in the SKSE version of your choice instead. If you need 1.5.97, use the Unofficial Downgrade Patcher from the Nexus and run it as an exe from within MO2, works very well. Don't forget to switch out the SKSE Data/Scripts folder when doing this! SKSE installs dlls, exes and a scripts folder of its own - that scripts folder is tied to the SKSE version and must be swapped out when you change SKSE versions. You can let MO2 manage SKSE's scripts for you since they're under Data\.

Once you have MO2 up and running, most things can be run directly through it by adding them as launchers. This would be stuff like xEdit, DyndoLOD, Synthesis, etc. I suggest installing such external tools, well, externally: I use /home/deck/Games/Skyrim/<tool>. So install them under that folder then add them to MO2 using the gear icon in MO2.

One final useful trick: if you want to install software or run a program within the prefix for a game here's how you do it. Remember, a prefix is a Windows install specific to that game which is stored under /home/deck/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/<appid>. Let's assume you want to install .NET 6.0 which is needed for the Synthesis patcher into the Skyrim prefix, appid 489830. First download the .NET SDK installer for Windows x64, which should download to your ~/Downloads folder. Then run:
code:
WINEESYNC=1 WINEFSYNC=1 protontricks-launch --appid 489830 ~/Downloads/dotnet-sdk-6.0.401-win-x64.exe
Main thing here is getting the --appid correct.

Like I said above, don't worry about messing up your prefix, it's pretty easy to create a new one. MO2 stopped working for me when I put in the latest VC++ libraries yesterday for example. Easy: blow away old prefix, launch game through Steam so it creates a new one, reinstall a few programs I need using the above protontricks-launch tool.

LOOT is built into MO2 - it's the Sort button on the Plugins tab. No need to install it separately.

The way the Linux MO2 installer works is to replace SkyrimSELauncher.exe with a little program that launches MO2 instead for you. So when you press Play for Skyrim SE from within Steam, it will launch MO2. I suggest creating a shortcut to SKSE on the MO2 by clicking the Shortcut button next to Run in the MO2 interface, then selecting Toolbar and Menu. You can then launch the game by tapping the SKSE icon that will be on the MO2 toolbar.

When doing a long modding session, MO2 will eventually slow down over time. I tend to close and re-open it when it gets slow. Similarly, my game with ~200 mods and a *lot* of SKSE plugins tends to launch really slowly but is perfectly fine once it is up and running. I run it with a 30 fps cap and a screen refresh rate of 60 fps. 40/40 was working fine with CPU/GPU to spare until I went crazy with DyndoLOD but that's a perfectly fine price to pay for those LODs in my case.

E: Wabbajack should be runnable in the Skyrim prefix using protontricks-launch as above. Haven't tried it but I don't see why it shouldn't work.

Much later E: use the x32/32-bit version of LOOT on the Deck, the 64-bit version will crash.

Trying this, and the install script for MO2 gets partway done, and then aborts. It says see terminal for details, but there is a TON of stuff in the terminal window and I have no idea what any of it means.

Here is the terminal output if anyone can tell me what happened: https://pastebin.com/KMJezVMF

e: figured it out - the MO2 installer didn't like Skyrim being installed to the SD Card. Changing it to the internal storage fixed the issue.

Annath fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Dec 9, 2022

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Interesting, so nine-gear crow could be bumping up against engine limitations now

There is also some witty comment to be made about that limit being 2011 and Todd Howard and Skyrim launch year here.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

Razakai posted:

Make a Voronoi diagram of the Skyrim map using the existing PoIs as your seeds for the diagram. Assign each Voronoi cell a level range based on the intended level range of the seed PoI, hand tweak via some additional seeds to handle outliers that violate the intended vibe.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Annath posted:

e: figured it out - the MO2 installer didn't like Skyrim being installed to the SD Card. Changing it to the internal storage fixed the issue.

Yup, that's a known limitation that should have been mentioned. Will add it to that post. Glad you got it working.

E: if Nemesis isn't working on Deck there's a symlink workaround I didn't put in that post. Can look it up later if anyone needs it.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Dec 9, 2022

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Annath posted:

Well gently caress. There goes my plan of having a 256GB uSD just for modding Elder Scrolls/Bethesda games. Can I at least install MO2 and the mods to the uSD?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

If you've got to travel, by the Nine Divines, stay on the roads! The wilderness just isn't safe anymore.