Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
While not exactly car hate, I would argue that airport infrastructure tends to be way more car-oriented than train station infrastructure, and therefore this is relevant to our interests:

https://twitter.com/carltonreid/status/1599348257917902848?s=20&t=SrC5MmxYgAUpF-DikWiZjA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

:nice:

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Almost got T-Boned on Monday. Watched insane traffic maneuvers yesterday.

gently caress I HATE CARS!

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/govkathyhochul/status/1599892602484297728

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

monsterous

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Some of the prettiest urban parks in the country and also that ugly poo poo

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Yes, this looks modern and efficient, not like a bad idea that someone tried to fix by adding more of the bad idea.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I love how you can just do whatever now and claim it's a victory for climate goals, provided what you're doing isn't degrowth or reduction in consumption

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Epic High Five posted:

I love how you can just do whatever now and claim it's a victory for climate goals, provided what you're doing isn't degrowth or reduction in consumption

Yeah, words don’t mean anything and nothing matters. It rules.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

*New York Times voice*

Here's how cars and roading projects are leading the fight against climate change.

Enjoy our other headlines:

Analysis: Could climate pressures see the internal combustion engine make a comeback?

The Ten Greenest Highways in America

Long Read: I used to think cars were the problem. But then I looked into how people actually use them.

Is walking really zero emissions? The hidden costs of pedestrian infrastructure.

Opinion: There's a big green elephant in the room. It's time we talked about it.

We hear from three experts on how cycling can actually increase total carbon emissions.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

looks like poo poo

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

lobster shirt posted:

looks like poo poo
Took me a moment to recognize that some of that concrete is a pedestrian path and not an on-ramp. I wouldn't want to walk within 500 feet of that interchange. I sometimes bike on an odious pedestrian bridge over a freeway. The roar of the traffic deafen and the fumes choke any person outside of a climate controlled killbox.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Ham Equity posted:

While not exactly car hate, I would argue that airport infrastructure tends to be way more car-oriented than train station infrastructure, and therefore this is relevant to our interests:

https://twitter.com/carltonreid/status/1599348257917902848?s=20&t=SrC5MmxYgAUpF-DikWiZjA

LAX is a loving nightmare, even outside of holidays.

They're finally building a train there, even though that should have been in since the beginning. In Paris I can go from De Gaulle to fricken Disneyland with only one train change, here you can't get in and out of the airport without some kind of car or bus.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Not to defend air travel, but airports are among the worst places to go by car, since you will be leaving your car there while you go far away, usually for at least a week. So you either need even more massive amounts of parking space or public transportation. Even my car brained relatives will take the train to the airport because of that hassle.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

BonHair posted:

Not to defend air travel, but airports are among the worst places to go by car, since you will be leaving your car there while you go far away, usually for at least a week. So you either need even more massive amounts of parking space or public transportation. Even my car brained relatives will take the train to the airport because of that hassle.

SeaTac has the world's second-largest parking lot. Detroit's airport has the third-largest.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Flying into or out of DCA rules because the Metro is right there, all airports should be like that

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Ham Equity posted:

SeaTac has the world's second-largest parking lot. Detroit's airport has the third-largest.

Now that's what I call effishunt :capitalism:

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

finally, the Trad Urbanist emerges

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/DavidZipper/status/1600499883542302720?s=20&t=oCvZ1FmyBaVHh9bcsVf44g

No poo poo!

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Wow I can't believe doing thing more but different is worse than doing thing less

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
why don't they make the entire car out of the battery while they're at it?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Dr. Killjoy posted:

why don't they make the entire car out of the battery while they're at it?

Working on it.

Explosive idea though!

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
SUVs should be illegal, even more than other cars.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I just remembered something from my childhood that made me smile:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

lmao

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

CopperHound posted:

not even a single special cancel? weak ken play

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

Huh... That seems really obviously bad and self-defeating. But I think we can count on there being some bold leadership in the form of regulation put forth t—

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

I saw 2 old fogies in a HUGE gently caress off newish pickup today and it just drove me crazy. You don’t need all that car! You’re not hauling poo poo!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Boywhiz88 posted:

I saw 2 old fogies in a HUGE gently caress off newish pickup today and it just drove me crazy. You don’t need all that car! You’re not hauling poo poo!

I saw a beater GMC Sierra that must've been at least two decades old while driving to work the other night and was amazed at how reasonably sized it was. Easily like half the size of the newer pickups nowadays.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Nitevision posted:

Huh... That seems really obviously bad and self-defeating. But I think we can count on there being some bold leadership in the form of regulation put forth t—

lolled at the reveal

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Unblock their name, I just wanna talk.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

CopperHound posted:

Reported for being a credible death threat.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

skooma512 posted:

LAX is a loving nightmare, even outside of holidays.

They're finally building a train there, even though that should have been in since the beginning. In Paris I can go from De Gaulle to fricken Disneyland with only one train change, here you can't get in and out of the airport without some kind of car or bus.

The rumor was that the cab companies had pushed against the train getting anywhere near the terminal. Also, the latest train needs two different transfers to go from downtown LA (in 2023 when the people mover is open) to get from downtown LA to the actual terminal (and would probably take an hour and a half+).

In Moscow you can get a train that goes directly to the terminal of all three major airports without a transfer in 30-45 minutes from central Moscow. London is fairly similar.

LA even as far as the US goes just is just hopeless even with new lines (also the new lines still don't have their own right-aways which slows everything down to a crawl).

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Ham Equity posted:

Last time I visited my friend in Bremerton, I flew into SeaTac, walked to the train platform, took the train to Pioneer Square, walked to the ferry terminal, took the ferry to Bremerton, walked to my friend's place.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

ferry’s are tight

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Ornery and Hornery posted:

ferry’s are tight

we're lucky amphibious cars never took off (looked too ugly unlike real MEN cars that look like they're going on the assault in a poor country) otherwise the waters would be filled with cars and ferries would be stuck in traffic. the reason ferries are good is there are no cars to gently caress them up

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
the schwimmwagen was pretty fuckin' dope though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Xaris posted:

we're lucky amphibious cars never took off (looked too ugly unlike real MEN cars that look like they're going on the assault in a poor country) otherwise the waters would be filled with cars and ferries would be stuck in traffic. the reason ferries are good is there are no cars to gently caress them up

The great thing about ferries is that they're huge, so any small boat getting in it's way is gonna get destroyed because you can't manoeuver a boat that well. This mostly hurts small sailing boats in real life though.