Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Is tagging still available for stories? If so I would like one.

For my story I offer up the Society of The Haves and the Surface Dwelling Have Nots.

I created a game where I was determined to run a dual society, where the founding dwarfs created a mountainhome that had a single locked door underneath a massive waterfall. The dwarves ran a real risk of drowning in order to access the fortress, but that was no matter because once the initial materials were moved in, they locked the door and set to work.

Each of the seven dwarves became masters in their own fields. They were surrounded by wealth, beauty and lustrous gems of dazzling sizes. The dwarves outside of my fort psychicly sensed the growing wealth of my fortress and many immigrants arrived, hoping to share in the wealth.

Get hosed newcomers.

The newcomers had to live on the surface, scrounging what little food they could gather and hunt for. One dwarf was a woodcutter, so they were forced to build lovely houses on the surface, but no iron for weapons, only wood. They would make offerings of wood to my original seven who would gather it at night so as not to contaminate there home with the undesirables.

Originally I thought the surface dwarves would die off, but surprisingly they were able to eke out a meager existence. Until the Goblins came.

Having quality weapons, the migrants attacked the goblins with mass wave tactics. Fresh migrant waves would top up the workforce, but it was grim living. Without the safety of the earth, dwarves were picked off one by one.

The Haves actually died out first. A fey mood where I was not able to provide them with animal hide caused a dwarf to go berserk. The master craftsdwarf was strong and fast due to his skills and he injured the other six enough that they would eventually perish. A vault of riches lay underneath the surface dwellers feet, filled with miasma and greed. They could never have the riches they came for and slowly the surface town perished from repeated attacks.

I wouldn't recommend doing it again, it was a pain in the rear end to keep the dwarves separated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

thunderspanks posted:

Hello friends, I come bearing a gift. Replace your existing announcements.txt file (BACK IT UP FIRST located at install dir>data>init) with this and you will have the full Classic DF Announcement Pausing/Recentering Experience.

You deserve a medal

Edit: this didn't work for me, instead it killed all announcements. Not sure what I did wrong so I'm going to revalidify game files and try again.

GruntyThrst fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Dec 8, 2022

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

My first fortress has come to an end.

Things were good for the dwarves of Bravekeys. More than a hundred industrious dwarves spread across the sprawling fortress. We'd weathered our first sieges with few kin lost and now an extensive rearmanent had left us clad in steel, swinging mighty battle axes and raining crossbow bolts on whatever goblins proved foolish enough to attack. Food was plentiful, the ale flowed freely, all ruled by a just and well-liked baron.

Then, something approached. A werebuffalo, skulking out of the south, set upon our dwarves. Some were lost but our mighty steel-clad hearth warriors put the beast down. The injured were taken to our new hospital and we forgot about the horrible episode.

A few days later, however, the sick rose from their beds with impossible strength. Blood soaked the halls of Bravekeys.

We slew them, but at such a cost. Thirty dwarves dead. Before we really knew what was happening, before we could finish carving the coffins, the moon had turned once more.

By now, the dwarves of Bravekeys understood what was afoot. Baron Onul, once so wise, had lost his mind and locked himself in his office, leaving the others to fend for themselves.

He could not be relied on, so the few warriors left put down their comrades and made a decision.

The gate was sealed, and every dwarf that could still stand and wield an axe was sent to the gateway, once home to traders from far-off lands, now empty and forlorn. Nobody could be allowed to leave the keep. The sickness could not spread. The weeks crept by, but, at last, the moment came.

In the end, the beasts won. All that remained were a few scared children, cowering in the halls; the injured warrior Mestthos Fikodidos, slowly starving in his hospital bed; and sad, mad Baron Onul. Bravekeys was left to fall to ruin.

Boy, that was a hell of a surprise! Pretty happy with how that fort came to an end, fitting for a first attempt I'm sure.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Having a great time getting back into this. But I'm hoping I can change this.

Can I re-enable pausing and focusing on events that happen? I remember migrants arriving and moods pausing the game and showing me the exact event. Now I sometimes just miss the notification and realize something important happened.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Can I re-enable pausing and focusing on events that happen? I remember migrants arriving and moods pausing the game and showing me the exact event. Now I sometimes just miss the notification and realize something important happened.

The adjustments required for this were posted just a bit above your message :)

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

DarkAvenger211 posted:

go back a page or 2 + look for the huge text post quote its literally what you need for this

im lazy

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

does gamelog.txt even work anymore I'm on my third fortress and it only has entries from worldgen

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Oh drat I didn't realize. Thanks!

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Gosts posted:

if i have a light aquifer that is multiple layers deep, and i dig a multi-tile-deep hole in it, will it eventually fill up all the way to the top level of that hole? or will it just go 'nah there's no ground below me'.

Water has a depth (that you can toggle visible in the settings) so on any tile it can get up to 7 deep, then I believe it'll push up if there is enough pressure to.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

kdrudy posted:

Water has a depth (that you can toggle visible in the settings) so on any tile it can get up to 7 deep, then I believe it'll push up if there is enough pressure to.

Or with 'f' when you're not in any menus.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I guess I went overboard when the thread told me to build bins to help with storage

edit: Something that really helped this game click for me is realizing that mechanically it is pretty much the same exact thing as Songs of Syx on a smaller scale (with additional complexities), and I've played a lot of Songs of Syx

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Dec 8, 2022

authwiggidywack
Oct 29, 2013

I'm having a really hard time with the new keybinds. It isn't so much that they're different but not all the menus are keyboard-accessible. I end up with a hotkey like b -> f -> p, but you need to keep your hand on the mouse for at least one stage of it, so it is messing me up.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

deep dish peat moss posted:

I guess I went overboard when the thread told me to build bins to help with storage

:cawg:

a statute of a dwarf just drowning in bins

Lord Harbor
Apr 17, 2005
Bruce Campbell: You've stolen my heart, but you'll never take my freedom
Nap Ghost
I keep getting crashes when I try to assign a workshop to a particular dwarf. It's not consistent thought; when I first arrive I can assign them no problem, but at some point as the game goes on, I hit the button and the game crashes. Haven't made it out of the first year yet. My only thought is that it might have to do with either new migrants or visitors messing up the list, because it seems like it has always happened after the first outpost liaison arrives.

Anyone else having similar problems?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Lord Harbor posted:

I keep getting crashes when I try to assign a workshop to a particular dwarf. It's not consistent thought; when I first arrive I can assign them no problem, but at some point as the game goes on, I hit the button and the game crashes. Haven't made it out of the first year yet. My only thought is that it might have to do with either new migrants or visitors messing up the list, because it seems like it has always happened after the first outpost liaison arrives.

Anyone else having similar problems?

It's to do with the UI if you play on anything bigger than 1080p. If you play on 1440p, set max width as 2560 in the settings and it should stop crashing.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I love how this was just dropped here. Basically any other game this sounds absurd. I hadn't thought about this being a 30 year commitment for Kitfox as well, that's a hell of a thing to sign up for as an indie publisher.

quote:

Q: When is the game going on sale?

Not soon! And not for very much discount! Bay 12 and Kitfox are going to keep working on this for ~30 years, so it doesn’t make sense to follow normal Steam discounting.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Any update on the fortress run by tables?

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

hailthefish posted:

Nice!

Buying from caravans is how I usually get my first few, and can be a hint for the names and parts of the rest.

I think this is what I'll wind up doing to get a few instruments for those temples.

I had another friend watch me play this afternoon over steam broadcast and all I did was deal with an immigrant wave and assign jobs to them, and dig out bedrooms.
The second he stopped watching a minotaur attacked and my militia killed it shockingly fast.
I feel like if I'm going to be asked to show the game off that's the kinda stuff most folks will want to see but village manager simulator is the honest thing for folks to see, too.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Fortress was invaded by giant hogs again.

Not quite 30-50 but certainly enough to brutally massacre everyone. I need to settle in a different less hog infested spot.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Is there a way to disable dropped gear being marked forbidden? Pretty tedious after a goblin attack to go through every pile and click one-by-one.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Do fluffy wambler remains never go away? I built a little stockpile outside of my fort that does nothing but hold fluffy wambler remains, but the oldest ones have been there for 2 winters now and I keep having to expand the stockpile zone whenever I see another batch of fluffy wambler remains in my hallways.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

So, uh, I think I might've forgotten to settle somewhere with, like, any soil? How hosed am I?

authwiggidywack
Oct 29, 2013

quiggy posted:

So, uh, I think I might've forgotten to settle somewhere with, like, any soil? How hosed am I?

Any water? If you can get a bit of water you can grow on pretty much anything underground (plump helmets, subterranean crops).

But before that I would make sure I had wood if there are no/little trees in a no soil area.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

An 11 year old girl got possessed, took over my craftsdwarf workshop and demanded I slaughter our boar for bones. Then she took the bones and made a table out of them and named it The Cult of Rawness.

e: Well okay technically its named is Ngotun Nar but in her little moodlets thing she calls it The Cult of Rawness.

e2: Ever since this happened she spends all of her time in the very back-end of the big cavern I use as a boulder stockpile "playing make believe" and now I'm concerned she's just talking to weird craft demons that possess her.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Dec 8, 2022

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

deep dish peat moss posted:

An 11 year old girl got possessed, took over my craftsdwarf workshop and demanded I slaughter our boar for bones. Then she took the bones and made a table out of them and named it The Cult of Rawness.

e: Well okay technically its named is Ngotun Nar but in her little moodlets thing she calls it The Cult of Rawness.

According to the language wiki that means Cult Oblivion.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im amazed at how well this works on steam deck

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Popete posted:

According to the language wiki that means Cult Oblivion.

Ahhh cool I didn't realize that was a thing. It's technically Ngotun När, not Nar, which is Cult of Rawness.

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

DaysBefore posted:

Is there a way to disable dropped gear being marked forbidden? Pretty tedious after a goblin attack to go through every pile and click one-by-one.

Well, the far-right button on the bottom menu has options to drag a big box of forbidden/unforbidden. Is that what you mean, or...?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

authwiggidywack posted:

Any water? If you can get a bit of water you can grow on pretty much anything underground (plump helmets, subterranean crops).

But before that I would make sure I had wood if there are no/little trees in a no soil area.

Let's say--for the sake of argument--that no, there was no water either :negative:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Oh man that reminds me of a story someone shared years and years ago. The fort's mayor is constantly pissed off because dwarves keep complaining to him about the lack of chairs, when he's suddenly taken by a fell mood. He grabs the guy currently complaining to him, drags him to a butcher shop, and builds a throne out of his skeleton. I assume people stopped complaining after that

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Sadly Our great Militia Commader was caught unawares when the Vile force of Darkness attacked
but even without her weapons and armor, she was unafraid! Charging headlong into battle! Protecting our farmers and ranchers from the evil goblins.
Even horrible injuries do not dissuade her

Here she is continuing to fight even as her entrails drag behind her.

the battle is won but Kogan Nishoram perished, She will be buried as one of the first heroes of Taperedbusts

(i hope this is good enough for a gang tag)

Hihohe fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Dec 8, 2022

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

space uncle posted:

Fortress was invaded by giant hogs again.

Not quite 30-50 but certainly enough to brutally massacre everyone. I need to settle in a different less hog infested spot.

drat, your captain of the guard tantrumed?!

quiggy posted:

Let's say--for the sake of argument--that no, there was no water either :negative:

There will probably be water underground. Somewhere. Flooded caverns are pretty common.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

eonwe posted:

im amazed at how well this works on steam deck

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I still have no idea what I am doing and I'm growing concerned about food production, but that's part of the fun of learning.

That said, I think my dwarves are cursed. I finally figured out that I need to put my animals in a pasture. Those poor animals are being attacked constantly by corpses. Wolverines, Keas, eagles. You name it, it's dead and attacking them.

All the wildlife is undead. Is this normal? My dwarves are afraid to go outside for bear of being attacked by corpse animals.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Sounds like you need to stop embarking on the Cursed Earth to me. Try looking for the happy biomes.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

jadebullet posted:

I still have no idea what I am doing and I'm growing concerned about food production, but that's part of the fun of learning.

That said, I think my dwarves are cursed. I finally figured out that I need to put my animals in a pasture. Those poor animals are being attacked constantly by corpses. Wolverines, Keas, eagles. You name it, it's dead and attacking them.

All the wildlife is undead. Is this normal? My dwarves are afraid to go outside for bear of being attacked by corpse animals.

If your fort is in a Terrifying region (or has a necromancer's tower nearby?) there can be undead wildlife and such roaming about, yeah. You can also have one of your dwarves be a necromancer (or have a neighbouring necromancer invade), leading the newly-raised undead.

There was a case years ago where someone embarked on a Terrifying coastal region, and undead whale skeletons attacked them. Undead don't need to breathe, see?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

In case anyone else is confused for about 8 months as to why your dwarves won't take the rotting corpse of a calf that starved to death in the early days you have to mark it for disposal. I thought that was the case but it took me way too long to figure out that there was a set of tabs in the UI that let you switch between items on the same tile. My poor dwarves had to deal with miasma all over their tavern and after it turned into a skeleton I finally checked again and figured out how to select the skeleton and get it to my trash pile outside.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

hailthefish posted:

Building instruments is fuckin hard. Instruments are all procedurally generated, so nobody can tell you what they are or what parts they need to be made, you get to puzzle it out yourself. Some instruments are a single part (think like, carved bone or wood flutes) and those you can make pretty easily by just stumbling on Make Staruth or whatever random name in a craft workshop.

More complex ones can have tons of stupid parts that take a bunch of different workshops, using manager orders to create work orders for like stone plunduk bodies and bone plunduk keys and glass plunduk pipes is usually the easiest, then when you have all the parts you can Assemble Plunduk at a craft workshop.

I think.

I haven't actually done this in the steam version yet.

i think this just makes sense. instruments are nonsense. there are entire classes of instruments that are a nightmare to even draw, let alone make it, and how the hell did anyone ever invent some of these noise machines

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

So has anyone figured out which skill is worth embarking with in lieu of Masonry now? Since it seems like that isn't really important anymore, or other things replaced it, or... something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

quiggy posted:

Dig for the caverns. There's farmable land down there. And cave wood.

quiggy posted:

And water.