Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
that seems awfully cynical. I doubt they did it to spite their people even in a passive way, since if your other reasons are true (they want to move past economic stagnation [even though they're still growing while the US is firmly in a recession]) then allowing omicron to run rampant and kill+disable millions guarantees an even worse economic outcome

I think they're just bored of it, or believe with how easily transmissible omicron is that even covid zero is going to fail sooner or later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

i don't think it was done out of spite, as i said this was most likely already in the works and things just got supercharged after recent events

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

what do you think the reaction to a US-comparable covid health impact would be?

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

R. Guyovich posted:

again, the protests lasted two nights and resulted in direct, massive changes to a policy that had previously been described in us and european media as the personal political project of the all-powerful dictator.

again that's not good lol

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

indigi posted:

that seems awfully cynical. I doubt they did it to spite their people even in a passive way

sometimes you need to get burnt to realize fire isn't your friend in any and all circumstances

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Doktor Avalanche posted:

sometimes you need to get burnt to realize fire isn't your friend in any and all circumstances

perhaps this is the beginning of the coronodomor

e: well I guess that already happened in the rest of the world, so this would be the end

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

indigi posted:

perhaps this is the beginning of the coronodomor

e: well I guess that already happened in the rest of the world, so this would be the end

hahaha

silly poster, coronadomor will never end

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

weird how when vietnam opened up after an outbreak got out of hand no one wailed and lamented over the government's supposed lack of concern for human life

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

R. Guyovich posted:

weird how when vietnam opened up after an outbreak got out of hand no one wailed and lamented over the government's supposed lack of concern for human life

yeah you got it. that's what's going on. cracked the case.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

indigi posted:

what do you think the reaction to a US-comparable covid health impact would be?

i don't think there will be one so it's kind of a moot point. vax rates are above 90 percent and boosters are getting rolled out at a rapid clip so as this wave really starts to hit people will have their "shields up", so to speak. it's not going to be good but it will certainly be a lot less severe than if there had never been a zero covid strategy at all

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

this allusion meant posted:

firstly zero covid had previously not actually affected most people before this year; only a few cities and provinces had extensive lockdowns before and most just enjoyed two years when they couldn’t travel much but the virus almost didn’t exist for them otherwise.

yeah im reading articles about the new radical covid policy change in china and just scratching my head going uhhh this is whats already been going on for like the last two months as far as i can tell? like do any of these journalists actually live in china most places dont bother asking you to do the qr code check

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

In Training posted:

I hope a shitload of people don't die as they transition to whatever's next in 2023

me too

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
china was already in the process of loosening restrictions for a month or so, it wasn't started by the protests: https://news.cgtn.com/news/2022-11-13/Graphics-China-s-20-new-measures-for-optimizing-COVID-19-response-1eVuot6zFzW/index.html

Nix Panicus posted:

I don't have the energy to keep up with global politics currently and I'm basically a moron anyways, but my basic understanding is that the current situation in China is very much like the 2021 Cuba protests: legitimate political grievances against the government that still largely agree with the existing framework of government blown wildly out of proportion by western media with a dash of astroturfing to imply a larger anti-communist angle.

Is there like a one paragraph breakdown of what people are actually upset about? Is it extended quarantine stuff?

basically yes.

the protests are in three groups:
1. about foxconn who were too lax with restrictions and got people infected and also not paying people what they promised
2. about a fire that killed several people because local officials were too strict.

these groups were singing the chinese national anthem and holding up pictures of mao

3. the usual NED bullshit in a few big cities who want freedom/regime change. these are tiny and there's lots of dodgy poo poo like signs written in traditional chinese instead of simplified, not speaking in the local dialect, coordination in telegram groups with western "journalists", held very close to US embassies, etcetc.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
https://www.theage.com.au/business/the-economy/china-s-covid-gamble-could-rock-the-global-economy-20221208-p5c4n9.html

the Western media are crying already, the cognitive dissonance is insane

quote:

China’s COVID gamble could be a recipe for disaster

Their excitement might be premature. Loosening the strict measures China imposed to control infection rates could see outbreaks on a scale that China’s healthcare system, with less than 60,000 intensive care beds, may not be able to cope with.

Low levels of immunity in the general population, very low vaccination rates among the elderly and a stubborn refusal to access western mRNA vaccines despite the questionable efficacy of its locally-developed vaccines are a recipe for potential disaster even though (and the authorities are relying on this) the Omicron variant is less lethal than earlier mutations. Cities representing about three quarters of China’s GDP were already experiencing outbreaks.

If the authorities have miscalculated, there could, in a population of about 1.4 billion, be horrendous outcomes.

There is likely to be continuing caution among businesses and their workers and consumers while they wait to see whether the new policies do lead to new and larger waves of infection with even larger impacts on factory production and supply chains.

From the same guy 2 weeks ago:

quote:

If China is unable or unwilling to do as most of the major economies have done and be prepared to live with COVID, then the harsh lockdowns will continue to depress economic activity, impact supply chains like Apple’s that are reliant on China and contribute to the global slowdown.

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

The totalitarian and all powerful china exposed itself as a paper tiger by immediately folding to the people crying out for democracy. Deadass

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I didn't like it either when Vietnam had a covid surge

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

R. Guyovich posted:

i don't think it was done out of spite, as i said this was most likely already in the works and things just got supercharged after recent events

this is exactly my reading as well. covid 0 was on it's way out, this was just the onus to speed it up

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1599981768274313217

:pwn: What is going on in Indonesia?

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

the expected results of murdering every single left and progressive force in your country even 50 years down the track, I guess

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Compromise 🌐 https://twitter.com/nowthisnews/status/1600252712318545920

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I mean...it criminalizes sex outside of marriage and you cant marry because you are gay.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

read vincent bevins' book the jakarta method

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

lmao this is a ziilion times more authoritarian than the CCP living rent free in shitlib heads ever will, so which means they are just gonna keep quiet

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

don’t search for “Indonesia gay” on Twitter if you’re unprepared :eyepop:

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I think Saudi Arabia has been exporting a lot of strict Sunni Islam to other countries and Indonesia being one of most successful case study.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

stephenthinkpad posted:

I think Saudi Arabia has been exporting a lot of strict Sunni Islam to other countries and Indonesia being one of most successful case study.

sounds like cultural genocide

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Palladium posted:

lmao this is a ziilion times more authoritarian than the CCP living rent free in shitlib heads ever will, so which means they are just gonna keep quiet

This is big enough for libs to be aware of this and upset about it (at least here in Australia, but we get more Indonesia news than other western countries), but it is constrained to tutting about how backwards Asian countries are and worrying about tourists getting in trouble. The collusion of the west in propping up tyrannical right wing governments in Indonesia is of course totally ignored.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Palladium posted:

nice whataboutism. i agree that indonesia is bad also. :smug:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

This is big enough for libs to be aware of this and upset about it (at least here in Australia, but we get more Indonesia news than other western countries), but it is constrained to tutting about how backwards Asian countries are and worrying about tourists getting in trouble. The collusion of the west in propping up tyrannical right wing governments in Indonesia is of course totally ignored.

It's the largest muslim country in the world, and you basically hear nothing about here it in the US unless you actively go search for it. Modi in India was very much the same way although now you'll see maybe an article or two about hinduvata.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

atelier morgan posted:

read vincent bevins' book the jakarta method

fondly remembering the part describing one of the cias initial plans to get rid of sukarno as being to call attention to his constant womanizing only for someone to finally point out that nobody really cares about womanizing in indonesian culture and this was just a part of sukarnos brand that made him sound cool

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

whoever wrote this law did an a plus troll specifically including foreigners since now its going to look like any major western media outlets criticizing the law are only doing it because it negatively impacts pedophile sexpat freaks and lets face it any major western media outlet that does criticize the law will only be doing it for that reason

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
it also impacts those very annoying Instagram couples who keep showing up nude on sacred temple grounds in bali

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Some Guy TT posted:

whoever wrote this law did an a plus troll specifically including foreigners since now its going to look like any major western media outlets criticizing the law are only doing it because it negatively impacts pedophile sexpat freaks and lets face it any major western media outlet that does criticize the law will only be doing it for that reason

thats why australian media especially will be criticizing it, i assume

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Some Guy TT posted:

It also includes the Marist-Leninist part to shut down any potential China complaint, although Beijing wouldn't say anything anyway.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I mean...it criminalizes sex outside of marriage and you cant marry because you are gay.

ah, the Augustine gambit

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Saudi pulled out the full menu on the welcome ceremony
https://twitter.com/WallStreetSilv/status/1600602854070288384?t=SlWMOj78Cht3b019f9w5fw&s=19

Look who is salty, some US for-profit think tank idiot.

https://twitter.com/ianbremmer/status/1600494099269926917?t=QcLPMBwnVaot-yH3lBhXoA&s=19

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 04:58 on Dec 8, 2022

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
‘Astronaut food’ or food pill for poor broached at DOST chief’s confirmation hearing

quote:

MANILA, Philippines — Feeding the poorest Filipinos with food pills that could last for days or months like what astronauts eat in space has crossed the mind of a lawmaker.

But only if Filipino scientists could invent that kind of food.

Sagip Partylist Representative Rodante Marcoleta broached this idea on Wednesday during the confirmation hearing of Department of Science and Technology Secretary Renato Umali Solidum Jr.

Marcoleta noted that astronauts survive in space even without cooking food there.

“I’m thinking aloud that if we could invent food that they can eat, I will give it to our poor countrymen. Even for months that they don’t eat, they will not die,” the lawmaker said during the hearing of the Commission on Appointment’s committee on science and technology.

“Do we have that kind of food? Can we do that?” he asked.

Solidum answered in the negative, noting that what is available right now are meals ready to eat for disaster victims, which have a shell life of six months.

Explaining further his idea, Marcoleta cited an example of a food pill that could be taken only once but could last for weeks already.

“Because when astronauts eat their food, it will last for several days, if not months,” he pointed out. “The poorest of the poor really have no food to eat,” he said.

“This is just palliative. Meaning to say, we just have to fill up the gap. In case we can help the poorest of the poor, you can invent a pill or whatever, and I will accept it,” he added.

“If the poor can take the pill, they can go two weeks without buying food or cooking, and that is a huge deal. Can we make something like that?” the lawmaker further asked.

Solidum said they would look into it but assured the committee that food security is a concern of the DOST.

Can rocket materials be used to stop volcanic eruptions? Solon asks DOST chief

quote:

MANILA, Philippines — Under scrutiny by the powerful Commission on Appointments (CA), the head of the Department of Science and Technology (DOST) had to answer various questions — from his favorite movies to ways on how to stop volcanic eruptions.

Curious members of the CA combed through DOST’s Renato Solidum’s profile and background as he faced the CA’s committee on science and technology on Wednesday.

“Just out of curiosity, I only want to ask about the material used in a rocket that can [withstand] the heat in going to the moon or to whatever exploration. Can we use that material to make a hole to release the lava from volcano and stop its eruption?” Camiguin Representative Jurdin Jesus Romualdo asked during the hearing.

“Is there a study on it? I’m so curious because imagine that material does not melt. Hot or cold, the rocket can travel back and forth. Can we try it on a volcano, make a hole to release the lava so the volcano will not erupt. I’m just curious, Mr. chairman,” Romualdo added.

Solidum explained there is no assurance that the proposed idea could stop volcanic eruptions, even warning of the risks of doing it.

“A volcano will erupt if there is too much pressure and high temperature…” he said, adding that the energy below the volcano or the magma “is so much more enormous than whatever trigger we want to do.”

“In fact it might actually cause the volcano to explode as we lessen the pressure. So if we lessen the pressure of the volcano on top, it might trigger the sudden rise of magma, it will explode. That’s why nobody has tried to do that,” Solidum said.

Romualdo was just following the lead of Sagip Rep. Rodante Marcoleta, who first asked about the food that astronauts eat when they are out in space.

Marcoleta noted that astronauts survive even without cooking in space so he wondered if the same food or a food pill could be invented for the poorest Filipinos.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
wow crazy you guys got your own trump now

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

fart simpson posted:

nice whataboutism. i agree that indonesia is bad also. :smug:

Anyways, back to the ccp genocide in Xianjang, wiggerland whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Al-Saqr posted:

big news in my part of town, China and Xi Jinping are going to be in Riyadh Saudi Arabia for a giant multi-day summit/party with a bunch of Arab dictators.

https://www.reuters.com/world/chinas-xi-visit-saudi-arabia-attend-chinese-saudi-summit-spa-2022-12-06/

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2022/12/05/middleeast/xi-jinping-saudi-arabia-visit-intl/index.html
I'm just going to keep predicting yuan-denominated oil purchases until it happens