Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL

Starsfan posted:

I remember when Karlsson was originally traded out of Ottawa the Stars were considered front runners at one point but the asking price in the deal (which was stated to include Miro Heiskanen) was a bit too rich in the end...

Well Erik Karlsson is exactly the kind of player the Stars need right now lol.. there is a quite noticeable John Klingberg sized hole on the blueline at the moment, and sending out Jani Hakanpaa with Esa Lindell on the 2nd pairing to hack the puck into the ice is not going nearly so well as one might have hoped at the start of the season. And those are the Stars good puck moving defensemen outside of Heiskanen!

I dunno.. feels like something has to give soon, because that's really the one and only weakness this Stars team has and it's felt very evident in recent games.

Still amazing that the Sens got both Stutzle and Norris out of the Karlsson deal. Stutzle's still only 20, and he's over a PPG for the year with the 2nd highest xGF on the team (59.8%) after Tkachuk. Wouldn't trade him for Karlsson straight up right now. And then on top of Stutzle, they also got a defensively responsible 2nd line center who appears to have 40+ goal upside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

This exact same thing was called off for Bastian the other day, and all his skate did was tap the goalies skate - this is Crosby barrelling into the crease on one knee and apparently this is an OK goal. Just officiating things.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Tell me you didn't watch either clip nor read the discussion without you know doing that.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

secret volcano lair posted:

that number really seems like it might have something to do with the bruins and leafs having much better defense and goaltending

like Toronto and Boston are 2nd and 4th in goals against above expected, Oilers are... 27th

:eyepop: there's a sentence I did not expect to read this season

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

:eyepop: there's a sentence I did not expect to read this season

somehow dubas' absolutely batshit plan actually worked out so far

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Tell me you didn't watch either clip nor read the discussion without you know doing that.

I think the sarcasm didn't parse in text on this occasion. Point being that who knows what they will call when people go into the crease, it seems potluck sometimes.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Diet Crack posted:

I think the sarcasm didn't parse in text on this occasion. Point being that who knows what they will call when people go into the crease, it seems potluck sometimes.

These two things are not alike because of where the puck is when contact occurs. Bastian was not playing the puck when contact occurred, Crosby was attempting and succeeding in playing it when contact occurred. This is a pretty big difference, but the people on the TV and radio can't seem to ever figure it out. It's not kid hockey where you can't score while touching the crease and I'm pretty sure it falls into rule 69.7 under contact for a loose puck.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Jhet posted:

These two things are not alike because of where the puck is when contact occurs. Bastian was not playing the puck when contact occurred, Crosby was attempting and succeeding in playing it when contact occurred. This is a pretty big difference, but the people on the TV and radio can't seem to ever figure it out. It's not kid hockey where you can't score while touching the crease and I'm pretty sure it falls into rule 69.7 under contact for a loose puck.

The real sin is giving Sid the goal when it looked like an own-goal by Gavrikov.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Diet Crack posted:

Bastion was clearly in the crease, clearly bumped the goalie, and clearly impeded Murray from playing his position. Them's the rules. If you wanted to argue that without the contact by Sid that the puck doesn't go into the net (which I agree with) than by all means, but it seems quite a stretch to say Crosby 'impeded' the goalie from playing his position. On the flip side, if that were called a 'no goal' on the ice I could see a coin flip for if it were overturned or not.

Chad Sexington posted:

The real sin is giving Sid the goal when it looked like an own-goal by Gavrikov.

You're just salty because it puts Sid further ahead of Ovie :P

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Bastion was clearly in the crease, clearly bumped the goalie, and clearly impeded Murray from playing his position. Them's the rules. If you wanted to argue that without the contact by Sid that the puck doesn't go into the net (which I agree with) than by all means, but it seems quite a stretch to say Crosby 'impeded' the goalie from playing his position. On the flip side, if that were called a 'no goal' on the ice I could see a coin flip for if it were overturned or not.

I don't think it's a stretch. It seemed like Elvis couldn't extend his pad all the way liked he wanted to, and since Sid was in the blue paint Elvis is theoretically entitled to that ice. Elvis did initiate the contact but Sid was in the blue paint.

I wouldn't have been upset to see it called back.

But I don't think the NHL has any discernible criteria they use for this stuff other than it seems like they'll call a goal back if they think the goalie might have made the save if not for the contact. But it feels like if there was some level of contact and the goalie wasn't likely to make the save anyways then they'll usually let the goal stand.

But again, there's very little consistency here.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://twitter.com/vzmercogliano/status/1600575232422526976

Seems like our coach is a dummy.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

I can't help but wonder if this is a Panarin thing, especially in a stretch where he's struggling. He has always like a grinder on his other wing and we know he requested guys like Blackwell to play with over Kakko etc in the past.

He wants someone who will just retrieve any loose pucks but not do anything with them but give the puck right back to him.

Still absolutely loving stupid though because yeah Goodrow shouldn't be on the 2nd line and what a lovely message this sends to players like Kravtsov who were told he couldn't get into the lineup when healthy after a win because "you don't change things after a win" and then after a win he immediately yanks the rookie out of the lineup

These favorite games are gonna be the end of him and handling the locker room

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The discussion was wrong. Crosby is a cheater.

(The 2 situations being compared are not alike. However, what Crosby did has been called as goalie interference more often than it has not.)

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Starsfan posted:

I remember when Karlsson was originally traded out of Ottawa the Stars were considered front runners at one point but the asking price in the deal (which was stated to include Miro Heiskanen) was a bit too rich in the end...

Well Erik Karlsson is exactly the kind of player the Stars need right now lol.. there is a quite noticeable John Klingberg sized hole on the blueline at the moment, and sending out Jani Hakanpaa with Esa Lindell on the 2nd pairing to hack the puck into the ice is not going nearly so well as one might have hoped at the start of the season. And those are the Stars good puck moving defensemen outside of Heiskanen!

I dunno.. feels like something has to give soon, because that's really the one and only weakness this Stars team has and it's felt very evident in recent games.

I have good news on a good defenseman that the Ducks will have available to trade at the deadline.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/JasonGregor/status/1600594134976561152

lmao

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I wonder what it's like for McDavid every November when he realizes, nope, not going to win the Cup this year either.

He's creeping up on being old enough that it will begin to dawn on him that he is never going to win the Cup.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

I wonder what it's like for McDavid every November when he realizes, nope, not going to win the Cup this year either.

He's creeping up on being old enough that it will begin to dawn on him that he is never going to win the Cup.

he doesn't strike me as a one-team-for-life player
if the Oilers haven't made headway by the time he's 28, he can go be a mercenary year by year like Hossa

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
It's a weird situation, we haven't seen it in a long time where the league's best player or near best player is on such a consistently mediocre team. Ovi and Jumbo fell short for a long time in their primes but they had great teams.

You've probably got to go back to Jagr after Lemieux retired for the first time, but he had already won a couple of Cups and peaced the gently caress out of there shortly after (after the miracle Mario 01 season sadly enough).

I feel like I made this same post last year and then he somehow carried them even harder. Difficult to see him having a better playoffs than he did last year and they still got smoked by the Avs. The West does look more open this year though.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Dec 7, 2022

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Duckman2008 posted:

I have good news on a good defenseman that the Ducks will have available to trade at the deadline.

:lmao: it would be so drat depressing

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

T-Bone posted:

It's a weird situation, we haven't seen it in a long time where the league's best player or near best player is on such a consistently mediocre team. Ovi and Jumbo fell short for a long time in their primes but they had great teams.

You've probably got to go back to Jagr after Lemieux retired for the first time, but he had already won a couple of Cups and peaced the gently caress out of there shortly after (after the miracle Mario 01 season sadly enough).

I feel like I made this same post last year and then he somehow carried them even harder. Difficult to see him having a better playoffs than he did last year and they still got smoked by the Avs. The West does look more open this year though.

The solution is to break their spirits by conditioning them as early in their careers as possible to being the only good player on losing franchises so it’s all they know.

See Connor Bedard and the Regina Pats

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
lmao, even with 9 forwards injured, Alex Galchenyuck has been playing so poorly that he got sent down to the AHL and an undrafted guy is making his NHL debut tonight (24th Avs forward to dress this season).

Look at this team: Projected Lines

Alex Newhook (18) – Mikko Rantanen (96) – Charles Hudon (54)
Jean-Luc Foudy (93) – J.T. Compher (37) – Logan O’Connor (25)
Andrew Cogliano (11) – Ben Meyers (59) — Martin Kaut (61)
Dryden Hunt (22) – Cal Burke (68) – Sampo Ranta (75)

Cale Makar (8) – Devon Toews (7)
Erik Johnson (6) – Samuel Girard (49)
Andreas Englund (88) – Jacob MacDonald (26)

1st liner Charles Hudon!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
McDavid will finally get his Cup as a deadline pickup in 2030 as the Penguins lift their third Stanley Cup of the Bedard Era

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

he doesn't strike me as a one-team-for-life player
if the Oilers haven't made headway by the time he's 28, he can go be a mercenary year by year like Hossa

you say that but McDavid is reportedly dumb as a brick and insider info is that he does genuinely feel indebted to the Oilers for trusting him to be the face of the franchise or whatever and he has way more loyalty to the franchise than what they deserve. I think there's very little chance he ever leaves Edmonton and would probably view that as a personal shortcoming on his part (not winning a cup for the team that drafted you like Crosby / Mackinnon = I'm a failure).

might as well group all my Oilers bashing together under one post, jesus christ someone airlift Jesse Puljujarvi out of Edmonton..

https://twitter.com/AHockey1993/status/1600609115562442752/photo/1

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Dec 8, 2022

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
it rules that he's so fuckin dumb

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

mennoknight posted:

it rules that he's so fuckin dumb

And yet he's not even the dumbest Oilers #1 pick ever (please destroy me if the Bruins make the Finals this season).

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Yakupov was the only one smart enough to engineer an exit out of edmonton before it destroyed his soul

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://twitter.com/sportsnetspec/status/1600605062019321856?s=46&t=AXqRIuuxk5-E_B3C3heLSw

quote:

“Of course I’d like to be a productive top-line player,” Puljujärvi said in his native Finnish, as translated by Seppälä. “But right now, it looks like I can't do that in NHL. Maybe some other league.”

….

“It’s hard to tell why I'm not scoring,” he continued. “I've been thinking about it a lot. I scored earlier and I think now I'm older, more experienced and a better player. Yet I'm not scoring.

“If you play with Connor, you have to score. Maybe I just don't have it.”

Feel bad for him, but 1 goal and 6 points in 26 games playing shotgun with McDavid, maybe the fancystats community is wrong about him being the next Nichushkin?

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

fermun posted:

lmao, even with 9 forwards injured, Alex Galchenyuck has been playing so poorly that he got sent down to the AHL and an undrafted guy is making his NHL debut tonight (24th Avs forward to dress this season).

Look at this team: Projected Lines

Alex Newhook (18) – Mikko Rantanen (96) – Charles Hudon (54)
Jean-Luc Foudy (93) – J.T. Compher (37) – Logan O’Connor (25)
Andrew Cogliano (11) – Ben Meyers (59) — Martin Kaut (61)
Dryden Hunt (22) – Cal Burke (68) – Sampo Ranta (75)

Cale Makar (8) – Devon Toews (7)
Erik Johnson (6) – Samuel Girard (49)
Andreas Englund (88) – Jacob MacDonald (26)

1st liner Charles Hudon!

The Colorado Eagles will defeat the Boston Bruins and I will bear witness

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Jesse has been given just about every chance to succeed since Holland has been running the team but his shot is just atrocious

dew worm
Apr 20, 2019

The gallant honeymoon ended pretty quickly

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

dew worm posted:

The gallant honeymoon ended pretty quickly

It tracks with all his other stops. 1.5 seasons.

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Hey, maybe we'll get Gallant after all!

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Somewhere Joe Thornton has the urge to whip his dick out and he doesn't know why

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

stab posted:

Somewhere Joe Thornton has the urge to whip his dick out and he doesn't know why

He should've hung on a couple more years and signed with Buffalo.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Dec 8, 2022

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Torts hooked us with a second goalie pull so Ovi could get two empty netters.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Cartoon Man posted:

Torts hooked us with a second goalie pull so Ovi could get two empty netters.

loving ruled.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Cross-posting, but

CBJSprague24 posted:

Why couldn't they have done this against Washington so Ovie could get free goals from the free goal store?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Just a reminder...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Johnny Hockey thanking god tonight he didn't have to go to the Devils.