Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

They probably didn't play the Throneside map

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/12/07/get-your-thinking-caps-on-black-library-open-submission-window-is-coming-early-2023

Next year's Black Library submission window has been announced.

And the theme is...

Space Marine Successor Chapters!

:effort:
Feels like they weren't even trying there.

And then right at the end they tucked away some other caveats:

quote:

There are a couple of extra things to bear in mind when making your submission – no Chapters of your own creation, no Deathwatch or Grey Knights stories, and nothing set during the Horus Heresy. Strictly Era Indomitus please, and your tale should be of short-story length – so 5,000 to 10,000 words.

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007
Is it worth paying the $40 for darktide or should I wait for a sale?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Make a Black Templars story where each of the 5000 words represents a different marine on the eternal crusade.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
They said no Grey Knights stories… but they didn’t say anything about The Exorcists, the Grey Knights Xtreme baby brother! Time to get crackin’

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

lonelylikezoidberg posted:

I think there's still some performance teething issues so you might want to wait for a while until they've been ironed out.

I was gonna suggest to check the Darktide thread in games but there doesn't seem to be one. :v:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

It got added to the Vermintide thread,

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=4017117

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
I'm sure there's a named but uncharacterised Successor chapter that could accommodate some Femmaris Marines.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Write something about the Rainbow Warriors.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Angry Lobster posted:

Write something about the Rainbow Warriors.

have their flagship bombed by the Space French

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

It's on Gamepass if you have that

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

They said no Grey Knights stories… but they didn’t say anything about The Exorcists, the Grey Knights Xtreme baby brother! Time to get crackin’

They even have a story in the Successors anthology that was released recently and mentioned in the article. Which is worth reading and one of the better anthologies BL has put out recently. It's got a lot of great stories of the more oddball chapters like the Exorcists and the dudes that grow swords out of their arms that I forget the name of.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

D-Pad posted:

dudes that grow swords out of their arms that I forget the name of.

Black Dragons

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Amazed that GW stopped themselves from naming them the Wolverines

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

D-Pad posted:

They even have a story in the Successors anthology that was released recently and mentioned in the article. Which is worth reading and one of the better anthologies BL has put out recently. It's got a lot of great stories of the more oddball chapters like the Exorcists and the dudes that grow swords out of their arms that I forget the name of.

It's mentioned in the article as an example of what you could read for inspiration. :v:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I wonder how many people are going to miss that bit about it hqving to be about a successor chapter.

I'm tempted to write something about the Sons of Medisa or another IH successor but I probably won't bother putting in the effort to write and polish up a whole thing

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Improbable Lobster posted:

I wonder how many people are going to miss that bit about it hqving to be about a successor chapter.

I'm tempted to write something about the Sons of Medisa or another IH successor but I probably won't bother putting in the effort to write and polish up a whole thing

You only have to submit a 500 word excerpt so you can just do that then worry about the rest if you get accepted.

caedwalla
Nov 1, 2007

the eye has it

It's quite good if you want a slightly buggy, fun coop shooter set in a hive city. If you want a deep and engrossing story (or any plot at all) there isn't one. There's a few short cutscenes that amount to nothing and the actual gameplay is completely divorced from them.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

caedwalla posted:

It's quite good if you want a slightly buggy, fun coop shooter set in a hive city. If you want a deep and engrossing story (or any plot at all) there isn't one. There's a few short cutscenes that amount to nothing and the actual gameplay is completely divorced from them.

It's definitely a lot of fun, even with the bugs. The environmental design is absolutely 100% "the lovely parts of a hive city", some of the big areas are amazing.

If you have friends, be advised there won't be any crossplay when the Xbox version comes out.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Noting that the other caveats are true, I'd say its still worth 40 bucks currently especially if you want to play a very cool 40k game.

There is no other 40k game out right now that matches it pound for pound in graphics, sound design (including music), and feel for warhammer 40k. The bolter, powersword, and chain weapons are amazing. The lasguns and autoguns rule. Its incredible amounts of fun to just kill bad guys in the game.

And the music, oh god the music!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvo2OfgIJ1c&t=590s

Its so loving good.

It'll be a great game in probably a year and a half. Right now its certainly worth 40 bucks, you can play it for 30ish hours and have a lot of fun but you'll run into the limitations of what fatshark has run into development wise by that mark assuredly. And yea theres no story right now.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Jerkface posted:

Noting that the other caveats are true, I'd say its still worth 40 bucks currently especially if you want to play a very cool 40k game.

There is no other 40k game out right now that matches it pound for pound in graphics, sound design (including music), and feel for warhammer 40k. The bolter, powersword, and chain weapons are amazing. The lasguns and autoguns rule. Its incredible amounts of fun to just kill bad guys in the game.

And the music, oh god the music!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvo2OfgIJ1c&t=590s

Its so loving good.

It'll be a great game in probably a year and a half. Right now its certainly worth 40 bucks, you can play it for 30ish hours and have a lot of fun but you'll run into the limitations of what fatshark has run into development wise by that mark assuredly. And yea theres no story right now.

Everything this poster said is true. Game's buggy as gently caress and missing way too many features but it's also so much fun and nails the aesthetic so hard that a lot of us just don't care

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
mechanicus lore is better but its an xcom clone so there you go on that front. its kind of this weird sign that AA games are sorta back again cuz darktide is a very AA game, not a AAA

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I know we're derailing here, but the bolter almost made my eyes well up with how beautiful it is. The action, the thunder and roar, the way the recoil kicks like a beaching freight ship and the way the shells disintegrate three or four people at a time. It's perfect.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
The lasguns in the game feel like how Abnett describes them and the sound design on the autoguns and stubbers is really good.

Its also really cool to see all the different patterns of weapon in the game so far.

It really makes me want to find the time to dig back into the books

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Yeah, if you're looking for characterization and plotting you're going to be disappointed. On the other hand, if you're looking to take a chainsword to a bunch of filthy heretics then look no further for you have found your game.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Jerkface posted:

The lasguns in the game feel like how Abnett describes them and the sound design on the autoguns and stubbers is really good.

Its also really cool to see all the different patterns of weapon in the game so far.

The guns reviewed by an expert,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9lzIC05aHU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I could swear I got annoyed because Abnett described las shots as bolts with velocity in GG. Was that just early on? Am I misremembering?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I dont know avout velocity but he pretty consistently gives them mass, having kick and impacting with enough force to make bodies jerk or knock people down.

Which Darktide the game illustrates interactively.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/12/07/get-your-thinking-caps-on-black-library-open-submission-window-is-coming-early-2023

Next year's Black Library submission window has been announced.

And the theme is...

Space Marine Successor Chapters!

So the obvious fun thing would be to pick a canon Ultima Founding Successor with no background, and have a newly minted Primaris discover they're doing really weird objectives and needlessly secretive until they find out they're actually Alpha operatives one & all.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Black Griffon posted:

I could swear I got annoyed because Abnett described las shots as bolts with velocity in GG. Was that just early on? Am I misremembering?

I'm pretty sure the actual functioning of lasguns varies wildly from the standard "battery goes in, angry flashlight comes out" to chemical-fired types aka bullet shoots laser depending on how advanced your world/sector's tech is and how much the Imperium cares about giving you decent stuff.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

Black Griffon posted:

Larkin has to compensate for wind in a book.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Yeah, there's something going on there, and chemically fired lasers would also fire beams. I will simply have to re-read GG I guess.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It's also definitely been described as a fast pulsing weapon that vapourises chunks of the targets and then superheats the vapour to make it explode, which is what gives it the "kick" effect on target.

In conclusion: Black Library is a land of contrasts.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

It's all a mess, of course, but I can forgive everything except for c being negatively broken.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

FPyat posted:

Larkin has to compensate for wind in a book.

He's too crazy to realize he doesn't have to.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Black Griffon posted:

It's all a mess, of course, but I can forgive everything except for c being negatively broken.

I appreciate that 40K's response to "FTL leads to time travel" is "only sometimes but yeah and it's a fuckin problem"

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
We solve the problem by simply making time travel against the law and executing anyone who does it

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
It turns out that even standard pattern mass produced imperial guard guns differ across the expanse of the Imperium.

The standard pattern Mk IV version used famously by the snipers of the Tanith First fires a projectile bolt of super heated gas, while others fire a laser beam, in this essay I will…

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I appreciate that 40K's response to "FTL leads to time travel" is "only sometimes but yeah and it's a fuckin problem"
It really is the most elegant solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

It's either "something strange had happened, I feel it in the shivers on my inquisition grade psyker mind and the curios glances of my companions" or "BLOOD gently caress ETERNAL WARRIOR OF THE FORGOTTEN CHAPTER BRAIN HUNTERS GONE TEN THOUSAND YEARS INTO FUTURE AND HAVING THE TIME OF HIS LIFE IN THE HIVE CITY GURMUGRUM"