Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

TheParadigm posted:

I don't think its unreasonable based purely on the numbers, but disregardin the context.

Like, If this thread said blindly said 'just counter at top of their range +10% and see what they say, if you don't negotiate you leave money on the table' then you would get this situation and it wouldn't even be unreasonable.

10% above 130k is 143k so :shrug:

What are the odds he asked for that much because he knows people on staff that said to ask that much?

I think your way forward is to say 'what makes you think you're worth that much without the stamp?' and see what they say.

The problem is that we posted it at 3 levels and he doesn't qualify for the top level and I told him that. Second level tops out at 119K and there is zero wiggle room there. but HR is never going to go much into the upper 1/3 of the pay band, just reality.

If I just posted it at his level the range would have been ~$90 - 107K in the posting. That is more an issue with how we post multi level jobs though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Then counter with what you're willing to pay and go from there? Doesn't seem like a big deal on either side to me.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Parallelwoody posted:

Then counter with what you're willing to pay and go from there? Doesn't seem like a big deal on either side to me.

With that big of a gap you’re going to seriously wonder about retention

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I don't know what the market is for that specific position, but I'd be worried about retention for just about any spot other than senior leaders in general anyway. I suppose if the person actually thinks they deserve that much it's one thing, but it could be a case of "see how much you can get."

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Typically when this happens to me it is people coming from consulting (the situation here). I try to sell them on our benefits (double the pto where he works now for example) and 40 hours a week (they require 50 billable where he works now). Plus we do all the best jobs and send the crap out to consultants. It comes with less money though.

I talked to a few of my consulting contacts on town and they were all at 110-125k.

I will probably counter but i have been this far apart before and ultimately a waste of time. We will see.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Yeah maybe if you phrase it terms of total comp/rewards compared to consulting, it would look better side by side. Does your HRIS or benefits system spit out something quick and easy that will add the total up for you?

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Dik Hz posted:

With that big of a gap you’re going to seriously wonder about retention

If you're worried about this, then doesn't it say something about your shop? State up front what you can pay at max, and then talk about how you're going to advance his career. It's all that's left.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The other way to look at this is the thread wisdom on what happens if you swing big and the offer gets pulled. Do you want him to walk away thinking he dodged a bullet because you didn't even try counter?

Car Hater posted:

When they ask you to be serious say ten million
I've taken to saying "If I tell you the number that lets me retire in two years then you know I'll only be there for two years".

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

skipdogg posted:

That's some balls right there asking for 142K before they even have their stamp. I don't know where you live, but my good friend/neighbor is a Civil Engineer here in TX and he just hit like 150's after about 10 years of experience with his PE stamp. The funny thing is he jokes often that he's never once used his stamp. He started doing project management and that's pretty much all he does now. He did almost 10 years Civil Service with DoD and then went private and does PM for major gov contracts now. I mean maybe entry level folks in HCOL areas could ask for that, but that's crazy to me.

This jives with my understanding of the engineering market, I made a similar jump to the 150s after hitting 10 yrs experience with my stamp and an MS. I'm electrical-focused so that may have helped a bit though. No way you're touching that in a direct public utility job, in any case. The numbers spwrozek laid out seem downright generous for a public job.

Asking for that kind of dosh without even having a stamp is some real chutzpah - I asked for ~$130k from a consulting firm WITH my PE and got told by the recruiter that "you must be smoking crack." Of course, that was ~5 years ago, right after I got my stamp and before the labor market went all crazy.

spwrozek posted:

Typically when this happens to me it is people coming from consulting (the situation here). I try to sell them on our benefits (double the pto where he works now for example) and 40 hours a week (they require 50 billable where he works now). Plus we do all the best jobs and send the crap out to consultants. It comes with less money though.

I talked to a few of my consulting contacts on town and they were all at 110-125k.

I will probably counter but i have been this far apart before and ultimately a waste of time. We will see.

If he's someone who you'd genuinely like to hire I don't see much of a downside to tossing out an offer, long as the correspondence is quick. Decent chance he was just trying to anchor high so you don't lowball him - I did the same for my last couple job hops and it worked out in my favor. Coming from consulting to the owner side tends to be a little tough to sell unless the benefits are wild in any case

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Ugh the whole process is dumb because on the other hand, I countered with $15k above the internal recruiter’s range that they gave me and they said they could do that so like…

None of these places are on the same page with how they treat their numbers so as an applicant it feels like a goddamn free for all and you might as well throw a high number into the mix.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

downout posted:

If you're worried about this, then doesn't it say something about your shop? State up front what you can pay at max, and then talk about how you're going to advance his career. It's all that's left.
They already stated max pay and this dude is missing a key qualification. I’m not speaking in generalities. I’m talking about the specific situation spwrozek posted.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

PE is the kind of thing that you can get in 3-6 months of (admittedly intensive) studying once you meet the experience qualification and get endorsements. It can be obtained in pretty short order, and it's not at all unusual to hire on the basis that someone will get it in a year or so. Almost always results in a salary jump upon acquisition (though 10% is very generous!). That said, there is usually a big jump between what holders and potential holders will be offered unless you very obviously will actually get the cert.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
Just popping in to say I just negotiated another $10k in salary and a one-time $12.5k bonus at the end of the year, at a new company. Only a small increase over what I'm currently making, but fully remote instead of constant pressure to come in to the office, plus a bunch of other intangibles.

All I did was follow the advice in this thread and what this thread pointed me to. Refused to state a number first, focused on what I could do for them with specific examples of how I've saved my current company money, rather than me just wanting more because I want more, and didn't backtrack or waffle (as in, I said "I'm looking for X," rather than "I'm looking for somewhere in the neighborhood of X, but I could go lower"). That last one felt like it took ongoing physical effort - every time I thought about what I was going to say, my inner monologue automatically added those equivocations, and I would have to tell myself no, don't preemptively give ground, just stop here and let them be the ones to push back. At the end of the conversation I'm coming away with more than what I was expecting.

Everybody can do this. Thanks, negotiation thread!

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Congrats! I love reading the success stories in here

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Chaotic Flame posted:

Congrats! I love reading the success stories in here

agreed :toot:

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

X-posting from my own thread. If there's a better thread I should take this to, let me know.

pig slut lisa posted:

A week ago, I received an email in my university account from a local real estate guy who I dealt with a number of times in my city job:

Real Estate Guy posted:

PSL,

I hope you're enjoying your new role with [the research initiative].

I know you're involved with the Urban Planning Department at the University, and I figured you might be a good person to ask.

A client of mine is developing a mixture of industrial facilities with a solar farm at each one in about 25 locations across the state.

His main office is downtown.

We've sort of been winging it, but realistically, we need a professional on staff with an urban planning background. That'd be somebody who could talk with the planner people in these towns in their own language, request zoning changes, negotiate screening types, and just generally handle all the city planning stuff that we suck at.

You wouldn't happen to know of anybody with that skillset who might be looking for an opportunity around town, would you?

Thanks,

Real Estate Guy

I wrote back that I had recently left, and that I'd be interested in hearing more about this work myself. I stressed that I'd only be looking for part-time work at most and that I'm not seeking a long-term commitment right now. He connected me with his client, and I think there's something here. The type of work this guy is looking for is in my wheelhouse, and he understands that I'm not jumping headfirst into anything. We had an introductory Zoom call yesterday where he walked me through some of his needs for his existing portfolio of projects. I asked him what his 2-3 priority projects are, and suggested we work together on those to feel each other out. I left this unsaid, but I also wanted to give myself a potential out up front in case I don't like this kind of work or working with him. It so happens that he had a Zoning Board of Appeals hearing on one of his projects this evening, so I attended that to meet him in person and get a feel for his case.

Where we left things tonight is that we're gonna do another Zoom call on Saturday to flesh out the details of working on a few priority projects together. I emphasized that I am only interested in ~15 hours/week, and he was cool with that. Here is a question that I may need to take to a busier thread as well: How should I approach structuring my compensation as an independent consultant? He actually asked me what I wanted compensation-wise tonight, and I said he should make me an offer after talking with his business partner. I said I'd be open to proposals that are either hourly or project-based. I am friendly with some consultants in my field, and it's easy enough to get their rates, but I don't know how comparable they'd be. They all work for firms, so their rates presumably account for overhead that I don't have. They are also government-side consultants, whereas this work is developer-side. Does that make a difference? I don't know.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
A longer reply than this will have to wait till the morning (and hopefully someone writes a better one by then than I will) but:

- I read your whole post and it seems to me like you're actually doing pretty great in life

- You have the permission of yet another random internet rear end in a top hat to decide for yourself what you want, and leaving two jobs that made you hate life is pretty awesome, actually

- Your tax exposure goes WAY up as a 1099 consultant/contractor rather than a W2 employee, the usual baseline is at least twice the hourly rate you were making on a W2

- You definitely should have an actual contract and should hire a lawyer, explain to them what things are important to you, and have them create/approve it before signing

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
It is also advisable to form an LLC for a whole host of reasons.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It is also advisable to form an LLC for a whole host of reasons.

Generic advice from mike monteiro's 'pay me' I'm not a contractor, I just collect useful tidbits, and goons which have done side work like this should really speak up.

Tldr;
get a lawyer, and don't think of them as a cost center. They make you money and enable good work.
do mix of hourly, retainer, and milestone payments that double as cancelation fees.
you own all your work until it is fully paid. Other party covers court and legal fees from lack of timely payment.
This stops hard feelings and being screwed by either party up front cold.

Ex: Hourly rate is __. no work begins until retainer recieved. Goal is __, __, __ and then ___, and payments for each are bonused at x, y, z or whatever. if they pull out of contract, they owe for all work done, and the most recent milestone payment.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Hiya OP, after reviewing what I wrote above I don't actually have much to add to it. Listen to KYOON and TheParadigm, it is extremely normal to have a contract when you do contract work. It's always tricky to struggle with feelings of inadequacy but you're actually at a really exciting point in your life.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Some more commentary here.

You should have a contract but I'm not much of a fan of creating really complex payment structures. Some kind of up front retainer and an hourly rate, along with agreed on deliverables / work tasks is fine, maybe with an hours budget estimate up front. You're an individual; keep it simple. Every minute you spend on contract negotiation and terms is a minute you spend not hanging out with your kid and also not getting paid. Ideally, you don't want to get in to a "this is done/no it's not" argument with the client about payment tied to deliverables, and anyway it sounds like very open scope so defining a deliverable set will be challenging. Better to do retainer/hourly rate/max hours worked/week than to try to define project scope based on what you've posted. This kind of scope is very normal in pro services. Since you want to cap hours, I would just say max 15/week at rate X, either party can terminate with X week's notice, scope of duties limited to Y, recovery of relevant out-of-pocket expenses incl travel at federal mileage rate.

I notice you are saying that other consultants charge Rate X because they have to cover overhead. No, they charge Rate X because they are worth rate X and the thing they produce costs Rate X to produce successfully and on time. If you want to discount rates because you're new, etc, etc, fine, but that's because of risk and not different cost structures. Cost structures are irrelevant in pro services. If I got rid of all my firm's overhead tomorrow, do you think we would reduce our rates?

You should be charging something like what you want to put in your pocket as income x2 at minimum. That covers your legal and other business expenses as well as your tax burden. Give yourself a raise while you're at it.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I would do a $12,500 retainer up front and then $75/hr which nets you very (very!) roughly $100k/year after taxes and expenses. Then adjust your hourly rate up if you think your salary should be higher.

It would be worthwhile to map out a non-binding job duties and milestones document with them, that's a good idea but agreed, don't turn a simple contract into a 700 page legal mess if you don't absolutely have to. You're not an A list actor negotiating online streaming residuals if box office return is more than $N

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

$12.5K retainer up front seems a little excessive for what OP described but I'm not an expert. There definitely should be some money up front and if necessary at certain milestones but it depends on the scope. If they balk at paying anything before final product is delivered then walk away IMO.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hadlock posted:

So different kind of negotiation, business negotiation

Let's say hypothetically you work at a division of giant nationally important global manufacturing powerhouse like Raytheon and you are developing a quantum computer to do X. Calculate nuclear fusion magnetic containment fields. Whatever.

This is going to cost $400 million to build, says your chief designer, and your parent company's willing to chip in $100mm. Option 1 is go to private equity get a loan for $300mm or option b is go to your 3 main parts suppliers and get them to invest in the project as partners and they would get a royalty on each quantum computer built. You see the worldwide market for these things as about 200 and each computer will cost a billion dollars so it's a pretty good return on investment but also there's some risk as the project might implode

So you've agreed to a term sheet and you're down to your final two line items with one of the three investors, both are truly non negotiable

1) they're added a whole bunch of conditions that would cause the contract to fall into default, and in case of default the title to the IP (not a license, the full title, like deed) would transfer to them. This clause basically weaponizes the contract to force them into default to own the IP at a significant discount

2) New condition that says that they would go into default if this new quantum computer violates export/military equipment transfer treaties that prevents sales in specific countries, which is totally impossible for the original company to control the global military landscape

Anyways these two items are obviously non negotiable because the CEO of Raytheon isn't going to sign off on a deal that involves a risk of losing their quantum computer technology, but the other parties are using these negotiating points to leverage better deals on other points, like royalty %, length of royalty deal (measured in years/decades) and a bunch of other minor stuff where they're getting extra couple percent better terms on various stuff simply because of this impossible negotiating point, so

A) what is this impossible negotiating point to gain concessions elsewhere called, is there a book on this stuff, it seems like a classic tactic
B) how do you ultimately pull points 1 and 2 off the table, or at least prevent them from weaponizing it

So following up on this, this deal finally got signed a couple days before Christmas and the first payment processed this fiscal year :toot:

1) and
2) :

Turns out the guy negotiating on the other end is a hardened bankruptcy lawyer (and I guess, director level) and was just like talking to a wall, would not let this go. Talked to our CEO, our CEO called the CEO of his company, basically told him "there's no way in hell this is happening", CEO of that company personally called the director/ex bankruptcy lawyer and told him to gently caress off and send out the interval consensus agreement and they were ready to sign within 2 days

Also when doing big negotiations

1) make sure you have a single point of contact. When the negotiating parties hit a roadblock with our main negotiatior they would call up someone at the company on their personal cell and get random concessions*
2) not all your employees are loyal to your company. Pretty sure one VP is getting a side payout from one of the other parties for helping broker the deal; he was assumed to be passing along confidential information to the other parties in the middle of negotiations, eroding our position
3) I forget

*At one point one party contacted our CEO and got (verbal) exclusive sales rights to any projects in all of Europe, at no cost to them. They just asked and he said yes. We got wind of this and got that poo poo recinded

Finally, you need support from your CEO to just close negotiations, truly threaten to walk away. some parties will just negotiate forever to pull out every last weird concession they can and drag things out for months if not years.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Hadlock posted:

Finally, you need support from your CEO to just close negotiations, truly threaten to walk away. some parties will just negotiate forever to pull out every last weird concession they can and drag things out for months if not years.

Also some companies will just drag you on for ages because they can and don't care if you go bankrupt on the way with focusing on this one deal, so make sure to never depend on one potential contract for your livelihood.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Thanks all for the advice re: setting a consulting rate. Lots of good stuff in there.

I think a simpler rate structure is sufficient for me at this starting point. I like the idea of a retainer up front, an hourly rate with a weekly cap, and maybe a kicker upon zoning approval for each project that reaches that milestone.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I notice you are saying that other consultants charge Rate X because they have to cover overhead. No, they charge Rate X because they are worth rate X and the thing they produce costs Rate X to produce successfully and on time. If you want to discount rates because you're new, etc, etc, fine, but that's because of risk and not different cost structures. Cost structures are irrelevant in pro services. If I got rid of all my firm's overhead tomorrow, do you think we would reduce our rates?

I had this same thought an hour or two after making my post, so I'm glad to see someone say it. Charge what I charge because I'm worth it, and if I'm leaner than the competition, all the better for me.

I think tomorrow we'll hash out the basic roadmap and then memorialize it in something more formal. I have an inquiry into a local attorney whom I think would be a good fit for this.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

$12.5K retainer up front seems a little excessive for what OP described but I'm not an expert. There definitely should be some money up front and if necessary at certain milestones but it depends on the scope. If they balk at paying anything before final product is delivered then walk away IMO.

Hadlock posted:

I would do a $12,500 retainer up front and then $75/hr which nets you very (very!) roughly $100k/year after taxes and expenses. Then adjust your hourly rate up if you think your salary should be higher.

This is fair, actually: if when you math it out(which you will have to start to of as a contractor), there are 12 weeks from jan 1 to march 26, plus about ~5 days.

When you put Eric's figure together with your weekly hours and hourly rate, thats about 10 weeks of work.

I think that getting into a mindset of 'business income by quarter' as a measuring stick would help your mindset a lot.

My off the cuff reaction is: its real estate. 12k in 10 weeks is fuggen cabinets alone. Round up. Everyone else does.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Stupid newbie question: When you all are talking about a retainer, is that (a) a fronted lump sum payment for the first chunk of hourly work, with hourly payment to commence after the initial retainer is exhausted, or (b) a lump sum payment entirely separate from the hourly payment? To put some numbers on it, assume a $100 hourly rate and a $10,000 retainer. Would I get $10,000 up front and then receive the next $100 for the 101st hour of work, or would I get $10,000 up front and receive $100 for the first hour of work?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It's (a).

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

OK, phew, that's what I thought. Thanks.

UnleashedDad
Jan 14, 2022

hi im tony. did you know that a koala's appendix is about two meters long.
I interviewed for a job with a director recently and she was really impressed with me. I would have gotten the job offer but the job apparently charged due to the implementation they were working on so they needed a Salesforce developer instead of an admin like I am. She actually called me a week after being told the job changed to offer me that position but I didn't want to do a disservice to her taking a job I know I can't do (yet). Yesterday, she emails me again with another job opporunity. This one is a side gig as a 1099 working something like 20-30 hours a month doing fairly basic Salesforce stuff. Hourly range is $31-35. I've never done a 1099 before. I was a contractor for a company for a bit but it was W2. Any thoughts on what I should do here? I asked for and got the range, and think it is fair considering the (easy) work, but I am unsure on the tax situation that maybe I should push for a bit more.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

$35/hr on a 1099 is like $18-20/hr on a W2, the tax burden shouldered by the employer under a W2 that falls to you under a 1099 is big. If it's an independent contract gig then definitely read and follow the advice further up the page re:hiring a lawyer and making sure you have a contract you're happy with.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Yeah, you really have to jack up your rates on a 1099 because you get no PTO and have to pay for your own benefits (medical, disability, etc.) and have to pay the employer's share of taxes as well as your own (since you are self-employed). You also have to estimate and submit quarterly estimated tax withholdings to the IRS and your state. It's a huge mess.

Also, I'm getting strong bait-and-switch vibes from the the interview for a senior position that suddenly becomes unavailable but heeeeey we just happen to have this much crappier lower-level position that we think you'd be a good fit for!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

FMguru posted:

Also, I'm getting strong bait-and-switch vibes from the the interview for a senior position that suddenly becomes unavailable but heeeeey we just happen to have this much crappier lower-level position that we think you'd be a good fit for!

That thought struck me too (because I'm a cynical bastard) but OP was offered a bigger job than the one he applied for, before the contract gig came up. But this may very well be a company that systematically pays rock bottom salary/wages.

UnleashedDad
Jan 14, 2022

hi im tony. did you know that a koala's appendix is about two meters long.
This would be about 20 to 30 hours per month. I would be staying at my current job (while still looking for other positions) and doing this on the side. Based on the description it is basic admin work and some support ticketing. I am not feeling like this was some weird play to cheapen the role. The basics of it was the company was going to manage a implementation for a long period of time and needed a Salesforce admin, but the needs changed and they actually needed a developer(this deals in programming). She called me about three weeks after they told me about that to offer me the developer position which I declined due to not having the experience needed, and now is offering me this contractor role.

I’m just trying to figure out if it is worth my time and if there is negotiation room here if so.
My current job has a lot of downtime usually so I could do an extra five or so hours a week as a side gig for sure, but I dunno. I’ve never done something like this.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The simple rule of thumb here is divide the offered hourly rate in half (to account for the higher tax burden and assorted extra nuisances that come with being an independent 1099) and ask yourself "am I happy to make this much per hour times however many hours a week?"

So supposing the offer ends up being $35/hr (the top of the stated range!) are you happy to do this for $17.50 an hour?

If the answer is no, then how much would you be willing to do it for? Double that and ask for it. Supposing you'd want $22/hour then you come back and say "I'm really excited to work with you, for this kind of work I would need $45 per hour, would that work for you?" If she says no, no big deal ("I understand, thanks a million for the call, I'd still love to work with you so call me anytime"), you were gonna decline anyway, and she might say yes. In which case the next step is drawing up a contract, which see the first half of this page for advice on that. You need a clear picture of what they expect delivered and when, and they need a clear picture of at which steps you expect to be paid and how much. And you both need clearly defined exit options.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Dec 31, 2022

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
Hopefully not raining on your parade (and I obviously don’t know your life situation) but be wary of burnout as well. It’s real and can outweigh the additional earnings. Just something to assess as you proceed fwiw.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Hey, we've got a feedback/rules discussion thread for the new year up here https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4020879

Appreciate any and all of your thoughts.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Update on my request for assistance in figuring out how to negotiate a consulting rate:

-Hourly rate: $75 w/first 60 hrs covered by $4,500 retainer (I pitched $80/$4,800 and accepted their first counter)
-$200 kicker on each project I work on that receives zoning approval (i.e. building permit or full zoning entitlement)
-Max 20 hrs/week (typical week will be 15 hrs)
-Biweekly pay, quarter-hour billing increment
-Expenses

I'm pretty pleased with this! Also, something nice that happened is one of the principals asked if I'd be up for coming into the office space they're renting downtown in order to communicate better. That's exactly what I want. I felt less productive and less happy working from home by myself, and this will add some structure to my weeks. Excited to see how this goes, thanks everyone :toot:

pig slut lisa fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jan 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Sounds great! Is there an actual contract and is a lawyer going to review it before you sign? What are the exit clauses?

pig slut lisa posted:

I'm pretty pleased with this! Also, something nice that happened is one of the principals asked if I'd be up for coming into the office space they're renting downtown in order to communicate better. That's exactly what I want. I felt less productive and less happy working from home by myself, and this will add some structure to my weeks. Excited to see how this goes, thanks everyone :toot:

Just because it's actually exactly what you wanted doesn't mean they have to know that! You probably missed an opportunity to say "welllll I'll be happy to do that but it does mean investing extra time and incurring extra expenses so..." and getting at least mileage/parking or transit fees from them. Unless you did do that and it's covered under "expenses". But the most important thing is you made a deal you're happy with so congrats!

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jan 1, 2023