Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

:mods:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

euphronius posted:

do you think Pakistan and India will ever get back together ?

according to people I've known from both India and Pakistan: lmao

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

euphronius posted:

ya thats the first thing im going to do when im the maharaja

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I don't think the subcontinent will ever join forces, the best you can hope for is something like the Colombia/Venezuela situation right now.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Dixon Chisholm posted:

He's literally a career member of the Canadian armed forces.

I thought maybe it was something more interesting than being a tool of the war machine :shrug:

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Has anything I’ve posted suggest I do something more interesting than read books and shitpost all day?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Shifty Nipples posted:

I thought maybe it was something more interesting than being a tool of the war machine :shrug:

He's a traditional conservative turning into a closet Marxist from the inside out

The NPC
Nov 21, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

Has anything I’ve posted suggest I do something more interesting than read books and shitpost all day?

tyfys

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
how is the ongoing coronodomor affecting thee ukraine?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Dixon Chisholm posted:

He's literally a career member of the Canadian armed forces.

well i was fine with frosted flake when i knew his wife work for the cato institute but this is going too far!!!

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

wynott dunn posted:

considering the ongoing covid might only be the 4th or 5th biggest killer there rather than 3rd

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

what exactly did yall think frosted flake did for a living that would lead to him marrying a woman from the cato institute having uselessly specific pedantic knowledge about artillery hardware and also weirdly complex opinions about internal canadian military politics

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

hence my confusion

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

wynott dunn posted:

covid is over, haven't you heard?

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

Lostconfused posted:

covid is over, haven't you heard?

thank you for your service

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

But seriously, Ukrainian health care system is getting wrecked by the war already. Corona is going to be just another thing on the list of what's likely to kill you in Ukraine along with no heat, no water, things exploding everywhere, and whatever else.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

nazis, illegal religions

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I don't know if having two sets of rotors actually does anything, but it looks fancy so they should have chosen it

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

Some Guy TT posted:

what exactly did yall think frosted flake did for a living that would lead to him marrying a woman from the cato institute having uselessly specific pedantic knowledge about artillery hardware and also weirdly complex opinions about internal canadian military politics

Be a career military man.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

I don't know if having two sets of rotors actually does anything, but it looks fancy so they should have chosen it

It saves you from needing a vulnerable tail rotor because the thing doesn't want to spin the fuselage in the opposite direction to the main rotor. Instead they've replaced that with a vulnerable pusher propeller on the rear for I'm assuming better cruising speed.

There is currently a big fleet of opposed rotor choppers being used in the war, the KA50/52. They have ejection seats which is pretty cool I guess?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Nobody remembers apache vs havoc, the cold war really is over.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
i worked on a prototype aircraft that was basically an upside down helicopter without the stabilizing tail rotor and i would always lol that some billionaire decided it was worth investing money into

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

euphronius posted:

no lol

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Lostconfused posted:

Comanche was better

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

https://www.marxists.org/archive/connolly/1915/01/warfrcvl.htm

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lostconfused posted:

I do, that game was equal parts awesome and broken

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
I wanted to fly those planes, not fly the helicopters.

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

The Havoc is cool, but I'm a Ka-50/52 man myself. Shame they keep getting exploded

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Some Guy TT posted:

world of tanks streamer

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Lostconfused posted:

But seriously, Ukrainian health care system is getting wrecked by the war already. Corona is going to be just another thing on the list of what's likely to kill you in Ukraine along with no heat, no water, things exploding everywhere, and whatever else.

118,000 people died from Corona. from war, 6,702 civilians and 10,000-13,000 Ukrainian soldiers died. that’s quite a difference and Corona deaths are certainly undercounted, most especially this year.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
maybe we should wage a war against coronavirus instead

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

gradenko_2000 posted:

maybe we should wage a war against coronavirus instead

a holodomor for Covid, a kind of zero covid strategy or something

just spitballing here

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

mawarannahr posted:

118,000 people died from Corona. from war, 6,702 civilians and 10,000-13,000 Ukrainian soldiers died. that’s quite a difference and Corona deaths are certainly undercounted, most especially this year.

i doubt war deaths are known with any accuracy currently

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

OctaMurk posted:

i doubt war deaths are known with any accuracy currently

civilian is Dec 4 per OHCHR, and von der Leyen had to leave out earlier statements about 20,000 dead last week so it could be somewhere between those two. the soldier figure is from Podolyak. even if it’s a lot more, we see the virus is a formidable enemy to the Ukrainian people, as serious a threat as any other they face.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

mawarannahr posted:

civilian is Dec 4 per OHCHR, and von der Leyen had to leave out earlier statements about 20,000 dead last week so it could be somewhere between those two. the soldier figure is from Podolyak. even if it’s a lot more, we see the virus is a formidable enemy to the Ukrainian people, as serious a threat as any other they face.

She said 100,000 dead which is closer to Russian claims

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Slavvy posted:

She said 100,000 dead which is closer to Russian claims

she hosed up (aristocrat brain)

quote:

In a video address on Wednesday, EU Commission head Ursula Von der Leyen said that 100,000 Ukrainian troops had been killed. However a spokesperson for the EU Commission later clarified that this was a mistake, and the figure referred to those both killed and injured.

Ms von der Leyen said 20,000 Ukrainian civilians had been killed. While that number was not retracted by the EU Commission, it was removed from later versions of the video along with the assertion that 100,000 troops had been killed.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-63829973.amp

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

mawarannahr posted:

civilian is Dec 4 per OHCHR,

Important to remember that the OHCHR puts a major disclaimer that their methodology means “the actual figures are considerably higher” than the corroborated reports.

Not more than COVID almost certainly, but it seems kind of silly to compare such chalk and cheese figures to begin with.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Not even troops, rather "officers".

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

100k sort of fits with the 8400 number we got for one month

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

mlmp08 posted:

Important to remember that the OHCHR puts a major disclaimer that their methodology means “the actual figures are considerably higher” than the corroborated reports.

Not more than COVID almost certainly, but it seems kind of silly to compare such chalk and cheese figures to begin with.

even if you take Ulla’s figure of 20,000 it doesn’t make a difference in the comparison that shows the significance of COVID as a threat. however, i could believe the average person under 40 has a greater risk from other stuff going on.