Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Angryhead posted:

Thanks to you (and others!) for bringing up the 45NRTH shoes, they seem great - but unfortunately not available locally and I'd rather not deal with potentially returning if I don't get the right size.
So instead I went ahead and tried out Northwave Himalayas at a local bike shop, fortunately they fit well and I got a nice little discount too.

I'll let y'all know how they hold up when (if?) the weather turns cold.
Just got back from a three-hour ride in -6c/"feels like -12c" weather and my verdict: great!
My toes did alright the whole time - not like super warm per se after an hour, but even at the very end they were in okay condition.
I wore a pair of good medium-thick socks, the kind I usually wear whenever it's down to like +12c, so there's room left to throw on a pair of wool too.

And even more wondrous are bar mitts (I got a pair from HotPog, the only place I could find that shipped to Estonia)
My fingers are drat sensitive to the cold. Previously I've used thick skiing gloves, but even in "just" -1c a one-hour ride left my fingers very numb at the end. Tried with thin gloves as liners, didn't make much of a difference.
But with the bar mitts... well, I did gently caress up and hold my bare hands out in the cold too much while messing about, but basically I started off with light winter gloves inside the bar mitts and halfway through took them off entirely.
The pogies kept the hands protected from the wind and created a pocket of warm-enough air that I kept gloves off until the end.
I'm pretty sure if I hadn't hosed around with trying different gloves while out in the cold and just had kept on a light pair the whole time I'd have been golden even at the very end.

So embrace the goofiness and get a pair if you too suffer from cold hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Kickr v5 is on the way, but a 1 year old kickr bike just popped up locally for $1500. Would anyone go for that deal?

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Residency Evil posted:

Kickr v5 is on the way, but a 1 year old kickr bike just popped up locally for $1500. Would anyone go for that deal?

I wouldn't buy a wahoo product without warranty

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

bicievino posted:

Yeah that’s a concern for me too.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
I know there's a trainer thread, but since we're already talking about them here, and I'm kinda looking for options beyond just trainers -

I've got a hybrid bike I try to use a lot and a tiny NYC apartment. With winter hitting, I'd like to keep active. While, like Angryhead above, I've invested in some winter gear (though not bar mitts & shoes yet, and since I have circulation issues I probably should), and I've been able to get out and have some hour-or-two rides in 0-5C weather, I don't think I'm really going to be able to do a lot of sub-freezing temperature rides. Not to mention that NYC in winter is fuckin' gross and would require a level of regular bike cleaning I don't really want to do (and god knows the first big snow we get is going to get shoveled straight off sidewalks into the bike lanes).

So, I was thinking I'd try to get some kind of trainer. Problem is, my bike is a 14-speed hybrid with huge tires. I have a variety of concerns with this:

* I'd like the convenience of a friction trainer so I can take my bike out easily, but I don't know if any can handle 700x45mm tires. They are 700c so I'm sure I could get some kind of tires just for a trainer, but swapping them to go out seems like it'd be a huge pain.

* While a direct drive trainer seems like it would take forever to swap out for a wheel to the point that I'd basically have to commit to biking indoors for a few months and not taking my bike out (unless I have a lot of time to prep), I also just don't think any direct drive trainers can even handle a 7-speed cassette? I've poked around Reddit and there's some notes about basically getting extra spacers or something to try to make it work but it doesn't seem great.

* The geometry of this bike is great for me, a person mostly running chill errands and only occasionally hitting one of the parks and trying to go at any pace. It seems not great for stationary biking where you're trying to actually go fast consistently, since it only has flat bars and you can only realistically ride in an upright position for an extended period of time (maybe this doesn't actually matter for stationary biking, I have no idea how bike posture works and mostly just lean forward when I'm trying to go fast and it's windy, which I suppose is not an issue in my apartment :v:).

The obvious thing here is "just get a stationary bike," but the problem here is my tiny-rear end apartment: I actually could splurge and get myself a smart bike or whatever, but at the cost of owning, like, a couch. I have just enough room for my bike and think I could scoot things around to make a trainer work, but a full-size exercise bike is a no-go.

So having described all that... should I just look into other options for staying fit? I thought about getting a tiny folding stationary bike, but I see very mixed reviews. Do ellipticals work similar enough muscles to biking that I'd be keeping in shape? I'm mostly worried about just keeping my cardio up, as that's the thing that's most obviously improved since I started biking in June to now.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
Even if it's an option, are you really going to be going outside much? A direct drive trainer is compact and only takes a minute to set up. With the right cassette, it's simply a matter of putting the trainer down and plopping the bike on top.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

bicievino posted:

Residency Evil posted:

Yeah that’s a concern for me too.

Although I may check it out this afternoon. :ohdear:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

abraham linksys posted:

I know there's a trainer thread, but since we're already talking about them here, and I'm kinda looking for options beyond just trainers -

I've got a hybrid bike I try to use a lot and a tiny NYC apartment. With winter hitting, I'd like to keep active. While, like Angryhead above, I've invested in some winter gear (though not bar mitts & shoes yet, and since I have circulation issues I probably should), and I've been able to get out and have some hour-or-two rides in 0-5C weather, I don't think I'm really going to be able to do a lot of sub-freezing temperature rides. Not to mention that NYC in winter is fuckin' gross and would require a level of regular bike cleaning I don't really want to do (and god knows the first big snow we get is going to get shoveled straight off sidewalks into the bike lanes).

So, I was thinking I'd try to get some kind of trainer. Problem is, my bike is a 14-speed hybrid with huge tires. I have a variety of concerns with this:

* I'd like the convenience of a friction trainer so I can take my bike out easily, but I don't know if any can handle 700x45mm tires. They are 700c so I'm sure I could get some kind of tires just for a trainer, but swapping them to go out seems like it'd be a huge pain.

* While a direct drive trainer seems like it would take forever to swap out for a wheel to the point that I'd basically have to commit to biking indoors for a few months and not taking my bike out (unless I have a lot of time to prep), I also just don't think any direct drive trainers can even handle a 7-speed cassette? I've poked around Reddit and there's some notes about basically getting extra spacers or something to try to make it work but it doesn't seem great.

* The geometry of this bike is great for me, a person mostly running chill errands and only occasionally hitting one of the parks and trying to go at any pace. It seems not great for stationary biking where you're trying to actually go fast consistently, since it only has flat bars and you can only realistically ride in an upright position for an extended period of time (maybe this doesn't actually matter for stationary biking, I have no idea how bike posture works and mostly just lean forward when I'm trying to go fast and it's windy, which I suppose is not an issue in my apartment :v:).

The obvious thing here is "just get a stationary bike," but the problem here is my tiny-rear end apartment: I actually could splurge and get myself a smart bike or whatever, but at the cost of owning, like, a couch. I have just enough room for my bike and think I could scoot things around to make a trainer work, but a full-size exercise bike is a no-go.

So having described all that... should I just look into other options for staying fit? I thought about getting a tiny folding stationary bike, but I see very mixed reviews. Do ellipticals work similar enough muscles to biking that I'd be keeping in shape? I'm mostly worried about just keeping my cardio up, as that's the thing that's most obviously improved since I started biking in June to now.

Maybe consider buying a second rear wheel with a trainer tire and a second cassette and swap that on when you want to use the trainer?

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 minutes!

kimbo305 posted:

I've not seen that sizing tactic. Comparing that leg length to mine, I think even 56 might be big in terms of standover height. Are you using measured inseam or pant size inseam? What's their height? Do they have normal arm length?

Pant size inseam, six foot nothing, sleeves are 35 so average for height.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Residency Evil posted:

Although I may check it out this afternoon. :ohdear:

:getin:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Pant size inseam, six foot nothing, sleeves are 35 so average for height.

Yeah, without more info, I'd lean toward 56 over 58.

This is the cycling/true inseam measure:
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/d1/fa/82/d1fa8274fc4a2a0b14a84aba901b2516%96measurement-calculator-petite-women.jpg

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Dec 4, 2022

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Inseam x 0.7 is not at all accurate for me and it's like a percentage equivalent to having someone stand over the TT of a bike. It's not very useful at all. In my case it would put me on too tall of a bike.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Yeah, I'm all leg so that calculation puts me on something 5cm bigger than my actual frame size

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

Maybe consider buying a second rear wheel with a trainer tire and a second cassette and swap that on when you want to use the trainer?

This is what I do and frankly, it cost $45 for a new cheap wheel and used cassette from a co-op. Slap on an old tire as the trainer tire and I’ve got a second wheel for just the trainer.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Hmm, either getting a trainer wheel/tire/cassette or getting a direct driver trainer seem like reasonable options, now that I'm watching videos of people setting them up. I've admittedly never swapped a wheel on my bike before, and always thought it'd be a more involved process.

It seems like direct drive is slightly easier to swap to/from, but costs twice as much (even factoring in the trainer wheel). Might just see what I can get on sale, though I guess I missed all the Black Friday stuff.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

abraham linksys posted:

Hmm, either getting a trainer wheel/tire/cassette or getting a direct driver trainer seem like reasonable options, now that I'm watching videos of people setting them up. I've admittedly never swapped a wheel on my bike before, and always thought it'd be a more involved process.

It seems like direct drive is slightly easier to swap to/from, but costs twice as much (even factoring in the trainer wheel). Might just see what I can get on sale, though I guess I missed all the Black Friday stuff.

I don't know anything about 7-speed microshift, but do confirm that your cassette is compatible before buying a direct drive.

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004

abraham linksys posted:

Direct drive will be quieter, which will make your neighbours happier.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

abraham linksys posted:

It seems like direct drive is slightly easier to swap to/from, but costs twice as much.

100% worth it though.

There’ll be a sale along soon enough.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
I highly recommend borrowing a trainer from someone before committing to a purchase.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Even odds they'll give it to you.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

kimbo305 posted:

Abraham, you should join NYCC.org and just troll the marketplace message board. Two weeks ago someone was legit giving away a Saris M2. If you join, you should join the Special Interest Group (SIG) in the spring.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

A wheel on trainer and a second wheel + training tyre can't be that much cheaper than a zwift hub surely

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

TobinHatesYou posted:

I highly recommend borrowing a trainer from someone before committing to a purchase.

kimbo305 posted:

This is one of the reasons I asked in this thread and not the trainer thread, since I'm also wondering if I should just try something else entirely for indoor cardio this winter, like an elliptical or something. Just not that many compact/cheap options out there :(

Sphyre posted:

A wheel on trainer and a second wheel + training tyre can't be that much cheaper than a zwift hub surely

This is true, I forgot the Zwift Hub existed. A Kickr Snap + second wheel/tire is still quite a bit cheaper than a Kickr Core.

Really the only concern I have about a direct drive trainer is just making sure I can get the cassette spacer set up correctly (apparently may require cutting some notches in it or something too). Otherwise does seem like it's the best bet.

osker posted:

Abraham, you should join NYCC.org and just troll the marketplace message board. Two weeks ago someone was legit giving away a Saris M2. If you join, you should join the Special Interest Group (SIG) in the spring.

I'd meant to sign up anyways, so went ahead and did so and will keep an eye out. Also gotta do a few Central Park laps soon so I can figure out if I'm fast enough for the B rides or not... probably not yet (blaming my hefty hybrid bike) but have never really tried pushing myself for that long to measure.

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Dec 6, 2022

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

abraham linksys posted:

I'd meant to sign up anyways, so went ahead and did so and will keep an eye out. Also gotta do a few Central Park laps soon so I can figure out if I'm fast enough for the B rides or not... probably not yet (blaming my hefty hybrid bike) but have never really tried pushing myself for that long to measure.

If you're sticking with the hybrid, come spring you can definitely run the C-Sig with it. When I did that Sig there were 3 or 4 people on hybrids and they made it alright. Climbing on a hybrid always looked like it sucked though.

Also, most B16 rides posted by that guy Niall are the chill-zone with 12-20 people that are content to split up into smaller groups either keeping pace or rolling at a more relaxed pace.

osker fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Dec 6, 2022

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Got my indoor setup up and running and did my first FTP ramp test. Decided to give that a shot instead of doing the full 20 min FTP test as I did on Peloton. Came pretty close, so I'm ready to go with TR/Zwift.

How well does importing workouts in to TR work from Strava? ie, if I do a Zone 2 workout in Zwift, will TR allow me to import that/take it into account for training?

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
Someone's probably already done something similar elsewhere but I wanted to know how SRAM gearing compared to my/a friends current gearing.
I chucked in his because he had a way easier time then me in a quite hilly area with 50/34 and 11/30 (that was probably just me dying too though), and I wanted to know how that translated to SRAM gears visually.

I also wanted to know how bad the jumps are with 1x (pretty bad with the XPLR cassette on most gravelly bikes now), although its not such a fair comparison in terms of intended use case really.

Next is making my own bike fitting tool :v:

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

Heliosicle posted:

Someone's probably already done something similar elsewhere but I wanted to know how SRAM gearing compared to my/a friends current gearing.
I chucked in his because he had a way easier time then me in a quite hilly area with 50/34 and 11/30 (that was probably just me dying too though), and I wanted to know how that translated to SRAM gears visually.

I also wanted to know how bad the jumps are with 1x (pretty bad with the XPLR cassette on most gravelly bikes now), although its not such a fair comparison in terms of intended use case really.

Next is making my own bike fitting tool :v:

I adapted that XPLR 10-44 cassette into a 2x 46/33 road gruppo. This allows me to stay in the small jump section of the cassette and I only venture into the lower 4 during extended climbs. My goal is to continue doing hill repeats until I can work my way down to a smaller cassette with tighter jumps. Until then though, my setup is pretty good.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
This is a good online gearing comparison thing

https://www.gear-calculator.com/?GR...,27,30&UF2=2220

has most cassettes in there and you can look at one setup or hit the "compare" button to put up two different ones.

jamal fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Dec 6, 2022

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Residency Evil posted:

Got my indoor setup up and running and did my first FTP ramp test. Decided to give that a shot instead of doing the full 20 min FTP test as I did on Peloton. Came pretty close, so I'm ready to go with TR/Zwift.

How well does importing workouts in to TR work from Strava? ie, if I do a Zone 2 workout in Zwift, will TR allow me to import that/take it into account for training?

First TR ride in the bag. Honestly, erg mode + TR workouts feel like cheating. It takes care of all of the periodization over the weeks that I'm too lazy to consistently do, and it boils it down to "hit go, start pedaling, follow the blue line." I know I'm going to hate this in a few weeks but until then it's incredible.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Did you do a TR plan or just individual workouts?

Some of the TR plans have some interesting choices, like burying you under an avalanche of sweet spot

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Did you do a TR plan or just individual workouts?

Some of the TR plans have some interesting choices, like burying you under an avalanche of sweet spot

I started the TR plan. We'll see how it goes for a few weeks!

Funny enough, workout 1 this morning was sweet spot.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I'm trying to find a trainer for my 6 year old to knock around in Zwift. He has 20" wheels and will be in that size for a while. Can I fit his bike in my KICKR if I give him a big enough riser?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
the bigger issue is the cassette, does it have a cassette compatible with the shimano freehub body that comes on the kickr

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

blk posted:

I'm trying to find a trainer for my 6 year old to knock around in Zwift. He has 20" wheels and will be in that size for a while. Can I fit his bike in my KICKR if I give him a big enough riser?

Saris do an adaptor kit for 20" 24" wheels. https://saris.com/products/20-24-wheel-adapter

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Residency Evil posted:

I started the TR plan. We'll see how it goes for a few weeks!

Funny enough, workout 1 this morning was sweet spot.

I always found the first few weeks of a TR plan were fine but I have a low tolerance for more than 45m on the trainer and would bail on the later parts of the plan because it was asking for an hour plus. But I am fat now, I should get back to it.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Albinator posted:

I always found the first few weeks of a TR plan were fine but I have a low tolerance for more than 45m on the trainer and would bail on the later parts of the plan because it was asking for an hour plus. But I am fat now, I should get back to it.

It’s giving me 90 minutes on Saturday and Sunday this weekend. :negative:

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
One hour ride today on the new bike and I think I need a shorter stem. It’s really my only issue as the bike is so prime everywhere else. The ride barely felt like an hour other than my butt getting sore halfway. I feel so stretched. I was blessed with long legs and arms and not so much on the torso.

I was going to go to my LBS and get their feedback and fit adjustment. I really have to stretch for the hoods. Anything else I can do to be a little more upright?

I’m riding a 52 with a 100 stem. I think I could go down to 90 or maybe even 80.

Also I’m very newb to customizing a fit so please excuse my ignorant questions.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

Residency Evil posted:

It’s giving me 90 minutes on Saturday and Sunday this weekend. :negative:
The experimental plans have some fun weekends scheduled in them.

Unless the weather is total poo poo I just wing a z2 ride outside instead.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

cheese eats mouse posted:

One hour ride today on the new bike and I think I need a shorter stem. It’s really my only issue as the bike is so prime everywhere else. The ride barely felt like an hour other than my butt getting sore halfway. I feel so stretched. I was blessed with long legs and arms and not so much on the torso.

I was going to go to my LBS and get their feedback and fit adjustment. I really have to stretch for the hoods. Anything else I can do to be a little more upright?

I’m riding a 52 with a 100 stem. I think I could go down to 90 or maybe even 80.

Also I’m very newb to customizing a fit so please excuse my ignorant questions.

Pics are probably necessary to provide much constructive feedback.
Stems don't wear out, so personally I just bought like 6 sizes from the used shoppe so I can check fit instead of guessing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Crumps Brother posted:

The experimental plans have some fun weekends scheduled in them.

Ah, the mindlessly pedal in ERG mode while watching NCAA (or NFL) football workout.