Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Eejit posted:

You've been on flats and haven't had ones with posts???

He just got the bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Levitate posted:

Your feet will love it your shins will hate you

Don't forget the calves as well!

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Levitate posted:

Your feet will love it your shins will hate you

:emptyquote:

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I'm haggard af after shutting down a club last night partying like I'm not an old man but IDGAF it's perfect fat bike weather so I cranked out a little shakedown cruise. Rolly polly fun in the snow starts today! Hopefully the updated winter forecast of 'Not as horrific as last years record setting season of bullshit' means a good winter riding season is under way. Now I just have to wait for the rivers to freeze up.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

I finally got around to pulling the trigger on this today. I need to service my fork this week and hopefully the trails dry out so I can get riding again.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Moved to an area where I have access to a downhill park come spring; I fully plan to take advantage of this as much as possible.

For starting with downhill specifically, is there a standard recommendation for flats vs clipless?
It seems split in terms of what people settle on, but maybe there's a standard convention of "start on flats until you know to switch" or similar. (I ride clipless everywhere else, fwiw)

Is this something I should proactively seek coaching day 1, after a bit of exposure, or only as-needed?

Any other tips for kit / gear / etc for downhill coming from a lot of trail riding?

I've got access to a high-travel enduro bike, but will probably pick up a downhill specific bike if this sticks, and knowing myself - it probably will - no need to rush that though.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

You know your personality and risk profile best, I dunno if I'd do lessons day 1 if you've ever done steep technical stuff before. If you are coming from very low key XC stuff then it might be a good idea.

Stick with whatever pedals you're used to already I think.

I would buy some armor, at least elbow protection. You might want to get a chest/spine protector also.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Honestly an Enduro bike is fine for park. I'd say at my park I see about at least two thirds Enduro or long travel bikes vs downhill specific, but my park is also more flowy than techy.

Elbow and knee pads are a good start. I use those and a full face helmet is probably next.

Stick with whichever style pedals you have now. I ride clipless, but I see a lot of flats, too.

If you've ridden a lot, you don't need coaching to start. I've done lessons and clinics here and there and they're helpful.

Start with greens, then go to blues, and finally to blacks. Don't be afraid to walk and/or session obstacles as you're starting. Pre-ride, re-ride, free ride is your friend.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Having had to use it before, I'd prioritize full face over pads. The two parks I've been to had gear to rent for fairly cheap.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Just treat riding the park like any other ride, and beef up your equipment and training if you find you're not comfortable riding the trails you'd like to ride. You're probably better off exploring on gear you know well than upgrading bigly and expecting to send historic.

E: Agreed pads and a fullface never hurt!

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx
If you live close enough to a park that you can go once a week or more and you dig it enough to do so, I’d definitely get a DH bike. You’ll save the wear on your daily driver, and DH bikes are fun as hell.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Thanks all - this about matches what I was thinking. The DH bikes gonna be a feel it out thing; budget allows for it if it jives with me. :)

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Anybody ever have completely off days when mountain biking? Have been to the same local forest three times in the last month, twice I felt pretty sharp and was happy with how I was riding but today I was a total mess. Felt constantly a fraction of a second behind the trail mentally, like my concentration was elsewhere to the point where I'd nearly ride off the trail or come off a jump at completely the wrong angle or something. Early on in the ride I was going down the same easy access trail I've gone down a hundred times and just ran my front wheel completely over the edge of one of the berms. Front wheel washed out and I face-planted into the berm pretty hard, luckily got away with just a skinned nose and a swollen lip from where my teeth punched into it, but it could easily have been worse (e.g. chipped teeth or something). Not sure if it's possible to 'fix' your brain when you're in this kind of state or if it's just a sign to have an easy day and not do anything too fast or new?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Blackhawk posted:

Anybody ever have completely off days when mountain biking? Have been to the same local forest three times in the last month, twice I felt pretty sharp and was happy with how I was riding but today I was a total mess. Felt constantly a fraction of a second behind the trail mentally, like my concentration was elsewhere to the point where I'd nearly ride off the trail or come off a jump at completely the wrong angle or something. Early on in the ride I was going down the same easy access trail I've gone down a hundred times and just ran my front wheel completely over the edge of one of the berms. Front wheel washed out and I face-planted into the berm pretty hard, luckily got away with just a skinned nose and a swollen lip from where my teeth punched into it, but it could easily have been worse (e.g. chipped teeth or something). Not sure if it's possible to 'fix' your brain when you're in this kind of state or if it's just a sign to have an easy day and not do anything too fast or new?

Yeah this happens to me and often it's the only way I realize I'm fully mentally fatigued. I think it's a good sign to cruise home and enjoy an off day.

I've had it so bad I just rode off the side of a trail (at a bike park) because I couldn't control my eyes.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Blackhawk posted:

Same as above, got to our local jump spot on more than one occasion and didn't even ride, just hung out and tried to be the hypeman my buddy needed to finally clear that double.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Cool, nice to know it's A Thing. Considering keeping the chin bar on my helmet more often now...

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Not just MTB'ing either. I sport-climb and the same poo poo happens when I'm borderline sleep-deprived.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Fatigue is why my group has the standing rule: If you are at the end of the day and a little tired and think you have enough in the tank for one more run, you don't, and need to stop there.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
Sometimes you just have particularly good or particularly bad days. My rule of thumb when I was a powerlifter was that 3 out of 5 training days would be normal and you should just do your normal thing, 1 in 5 days you'd be surprisingly good and you should push yourself extra, and 1 in 5 days you'd be surprisingly bad and you should just take it easy and don't be dumb forcing it. Sometimes you can predict with stuff like sleep or real life stress but sometimes it just happens. If you're having a particularly good or bad day, recognize that and adjust your plan for the day to match.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

gohuskies posted:

Sometimes you just have particularly good or particularly bad days. My rule of thumb when I was a powerlifter was that 3 out of 5 training days would be normal and you should just do your normal thing, 1 in 5 days you'd be surprisingly good and you should push yourself extra, and 1 in 5 days you'd be surprisingly bad and you should just take it easy and don't be dumb forcing it. Sometimes you can predict with stuff like sleep or real life stress but sometimes it just happens. If you're having a particularly good or bad day, recognize that and adjust your plan for the day to match.

Matches my experiences and ratios just about 100%.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

gohuskies posted:

Sometimes you can predict with stuff like sleep or real life stress but sometimes it just happens. If you're having a particularly good or bad day, recognize that and adjust your plan for the day to match.

Yeah definitely this, it's not always about being tired. Sometimes things just aren't comfortable or going the right way for no "good" reason but at that point it's not worth trying to push through it if it could result in injury

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

gohuskies posted:

Tracks with my experiences. Somedays you're on top of the mountain, somedays the mountain is on top of you. It averages out if you're consistent in just showing up which is far more important. If things are that bad, call it. Recovering from an injury takes forever compared to the single workout itself.

I've usually been able to get away with not crashing while physically/mentally fatigued. With some rides 'yea screw this going back home I'll try again tomorrow.' It caught up with me last week. Best getoff I've had on a bicycle since I was a kid. Didn't break the bike or myself but yeaaah I should have called the ride before it came to that but pushed through anyway.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

And sometimes it's just like, take an easier trail or ride. I know especially if I've been going for a few days in a row, I will eventually hit the point where a brain dead blue trail and a day off after is the correct move.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

It snowed quite a lot over the past few days but I couldn't resist cycling...
Certainly it's own brand of fun to go 13km/h average for 31k on totally flat land, while trying to keep my balance.

I'd like to think I was justified in picking the (mostly deserted) pedestrian side this time.

... of course now I'm itching to buy a cheap fatbike - and I mean the snow here probably isn't going to melt away before, like, March.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

New frame geometry just dropped

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

brand engager posted:

New frame geometry just dropped

Looks like a giant warp ds-1

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Angryhead posted:

It snowed quite a lot over the past few days but I couldn't resist cycling...
Certainly it's own brand of fun to go 13km/h average for 31k on totally flat land, while trying to keep my balance.

I'd like to think I was justified in picking the (mostly deserted) pedestrian side this time.

... of course now I'm itching to buy a cheap fatbike - and I mean the snow here probably isn't going to melt away before, like, March.

Don't go too cheap. Imagine all the reliability and creature comforts of a department store bike. Now imagine you're trying to enjoy your day when you're putting the struggles of riding a badly specced bike on top of the struggles of riding in the snow.

I mean you can get decent lower end fatbikes online from outfits like Framed but holy hell are the ones you find at Walmart and such loving horrible.

Up here Costco had em with not horrible parts for the price but I didn't get around to measuring the dropouts. There are a few front and rear combos you can still find hubs for but I'd at least stick with 135f/190r for QR, 150f/197r for TA. The older 170/177 rear standard is even becoming scarce You're really hamstringing yourself on replacement options when your cheap fatbike kills it's cheap hub eventually. I've seen a few off cheaper offerings with weird spacing I've never seen before.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

EvilJoven posted:

Don't go too cheap. Imagine all the reliability and creature comforts of a department store bike. Now imagine you're trying to enjoy your day when you're putting the struggles of riding a badly specced bike on top of the struggles of riding in the snow.

I mean you can get decent lower end fatbikes online from outfits like Framed but holy hell are the ones you find at Walmart and such loving horrible.

Up here Costco had em with not horrible parts for the price but I didn't get around to measuring the dropouts. There are a few front and rear combos you can still find hubs for but I'd at least stick with 135f/190r for QR, 150f/197r for TA. The older 170/177 rear standard is even becoming scarce You're really hamstringing yourself on replacement options when your cheap fatbike kills it's cheap hub eventually. I've seen a few off cheaper offerings with weird spacing I've never seen before.

Yeah I'm not gonna go for a department store bike(-shaped object)

A local shop has four fatbikes for rental:
Corratec Roar 4.8, Deore 2x10, 16,4 kg
On-One Fatty 4.0, Alivio 1x9, 16,9 kg
Mondraker Panzer 4.5, Sram X7 2x10, 15,3 kg
Silverback Scoop Deluxe, Shimano XT 1x10, 15,4 kg
so I'll go and test something out on the weekend and see how a fatbike feels.

They currently have none for sale, but said they're likely to get some in next week in the ~800€ range, which would match up to what a different local shop has on offer (their own store brand frame)

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Rent one of the 2x setups. The 1x setups aren't going to be geared like a modern fatbike and you'll probably like the 2x better for trying it out. Less grinding and struggling in the snow.

That last bike that's actually for sale isn't one I'd bother with.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Dec 9, 2022

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

EvilJoven posted:

Rent one of the 2x setups. The 1x setups aren't going to be geared like a modern fatbike and you'll probably like the 2x better for trying it out. Less grinding and struggling in the snow.

That last bike that's actually for sale isn't one I'd bother with.
Unfortunately I wasn't given a choice when booking online so I ended up with the Silverback Scoop Deluxe (the folks renting the 3 other bikes were just heading out as I was heading in to the place to pick the bike up; glad I at least pre-booked online)

Rode for two hours mostly on the same roads I'd like to winter-ride my MTB on and 4.7" tires make, uhh, quite the difference!
It was surprisingly nimble still and definitely a huge improvement ride-quality-wise for the types of weather I'm currently experiencing and likely to have until like mid-March, so I'm prooobably gonna pick something up for myself soon.
Did still experience some squirrely bits and struggled in thick, unspoiled snow, but that's certainly partly down to lack-of-skill/confidence and tyre pressure (which I didn't mess about with and forgot to check, but it's probably set on the high-side to be a better fit for the average tourist that rents from them)

Bonus: bar mitts and a fat bike are a combination that can even make some Estonian pedestrians smile at you!

e: looking at slightly pricier options available here, thoughts on a 2022 Giant Yukon 2 vs. 2022 Kona Wo vs. 2020 Felt DD 30 vs. 2023 Silverback Scoop Single?
Saw the the Kona in person and love the look and I've even got a spare dropper that should fit it, but the 2023 Silverback Scoop Single seems like the best one spec-wise I think.
The prices are all within ~20% of each other FWIW.

Angryhead fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Dec 10, 2022

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I have the Yukon. It's a pretty solid bike. The other bikes are all good but they're all 26" wheels and I'd stay away from 26" at this point if a 27.5" was available.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Super sloppy day today at the local trails, but the weather is going to stay bad for a while and I had to get out to do something.

Also checked out a trail here called 'barrel run' out of interest. Way above my pay-grade and also nobody was going to be riding it on a wet day anyway...

Didn't walk the whole length of it as I was getting rained on but it keeps going like that.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

After 200 days of work travel I’m a bit out of the loop on bikes. Is the Ripmo AF with a coil still a reasonably good choice for a one bike quiver in Colorado?

I mainly rode local trails and an occasional trip to Winter Park

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

It's already a bit of a heavy bike, I wouldn't go coil probably unless you're really pushing it. I haven't found the need for it yet even with back to back to back tech laps in the park

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Eejit posted:

It's already a bit of a heavy bike, I wouldn't go coil probably unless you're really pushing it. I haven't found the need for it yet even with back to back to back tech laps in the park

Thank you, at 58 I’m not pushing much other than old age. Would you get a carbon bike instead? I have a RockyMountain Thunderbolt 70 with carbon frame but want a 29er.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Ripmo would be fine for one bike, but depending where you are might be a lot of bike for what’s local. I think something in the 130mm range is a great balance spot. Tallboy, Ripley, etc. good enough for stuff in town, can ride it on the easier stuff and still have fun and can take it into the big mtns without much trouble.

My experience here is with a 120mm bike and now have a 140mm bike and an XC bike, so instead of one bike I just went with 2. Ive done hardtail life out here and it can be rough.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Ropes4u posted:

Thank you, at 58 I’m not pushing much other than old age. Would you get a carbon bike instead? I have a RockyMountain Thunderbolt 70 with carbon frame but want a 29er.

I have a carbon and an alu bike and I would say the carbon isn't that much lighter to offset how worried I always get about breaking it when I have crashes. CF is also an ecological nightmare, which I didn't know at the time.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I doubt mining and refining the metal for alloy bikes is very eco friendly either

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
No ethical consumption etc

Don't let the trap of consumer guilt for pollution stop you from enjoying things like riding a loving bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Levitate posted:

I doubt mining and refining the metal for alloy bikes is very eco friendly either

Recycling aluminium takes far less energy than refining from scratch