Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Flakey posted:

My orgasm is the little-death that brings total obliteration

kum wahad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

skasion posted:

Heretics

Wait, are you answering the question, or accusing Maigius et al of heresy for their shameful lack of lore knowledge?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Also, confession time, I've only read Dune and don't really wanna (haha) read the others

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Dune is the good one. It's pretty incredible how it goes from "hey that's a neat sci-fi fantasy story" to "hey that guy should be on a watch list"

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

But the other books are where we get all the talking points from.

It's like Ender's Game, I'm not sure there is a thread for that but if there is they're 100% talking about Bean turning into a gigantic Space Manatee, not a starving little kid

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I can understand leaving off at the first book, but Messiah is definitely worth reading just as a chaser to Dune. The others I can take or (almost entirely) leave.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

yeah it's best to stop at messiah and let your imagination do the rest

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

But then you're gonna miss this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtqIysDMw6A

lol this is so bad, I knew it while watching yet I couldn't stop myself

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
you gotta read God Emperor. you need to experience Wormy McWorm.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

TK-42-1 posted:

kum wahad!

i laughed

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
But to read God Emperor you have to read children, which was by far the worst of the first four. :thunkgun:

God Emperor is really good though, and the best after Dune

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Tree Bucket posted:

Also, confession time, I've only read Dune and don't really wanna (haha) read the others

You should also read Messiah hth. Read the books in pairs.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It's really Heretics that sucks

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

uber_stoat posted:

you gotta read God Emperor. you need to experience Wormy McWorm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRy18Euw6W4&t=13s

kalel fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Dec 8, 2022

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Honestly I like them all, the writing is still top tier for sci fi even when it goes off the rails. I especially enjoy Chapterhouse. It’s not one of the better books but I enjoy it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

every time this is posted the thread gains a +2 prescience advantage over the advancing coriolis storm and may move troops to the planet surface without shipping charges

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Eason the Fifth posted:

But to read God Emperor you have to read children, which was by far the worst of the first four. :thunkgun:

God Emperor is really good though, and the best after Dune

I skipped Children because it was the one Dune book my dad didn't carry with him over the 20+ years it took between him reading them and me reading them, and while I was confused at first, there was absolutely nothing substantial lost by skipping children of dune that couldn't be picked up further into God Emperor.

I am on team "skip children of dune". My feelings on this became more certain when I actually read it around the time I made this thread.

skip children of dune.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

i will personally read anyone in to god emperor that wants to skip children but doesn't want to have everything spoiled, just pm me.

skip the worst book in the series

at least heretics is funny

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Riot Bimbo posted:

at least heretics is funny

and horny!

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Nah Laser tigers owned. I do mostly regret reading God Emperor and past it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

kiimo posted:

Bene Guysserit:

In this time the most precious substance in the universe is the Spice Melange. The Spice extends life, the Spice expands consciousness, the Spice is vital to space travel.

The Spice is used to create the best IPA you have ever tasted. It took us years to perfect in our home brew setup back on Chapterhouse. Dude you have to see it.

The Spacing Guild Navigator who visited tried our Sandtrout Extra Bitter IPA and straight up disappeared bro. It was so trippy. We have no idea where he ended up, but we like to think he still tells the story to this day.

Funny thing is spice beer is canon, honestly the Fremen probably use it in literally everything

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Don't they use it in paper? They have such a ridiculous, embarrassing wealth of it just by virtue of living in the deep deserts, and so little else to work with, that yeah it goes into basically anything they can make it work.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Arrakis zig zags have no rivals

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

disposablewords posted:

Don't they use it in paper? They have such a ridiculous, embarrassing wealth of it just by virtue of living in the deep deserts, and so little else to work with, that yeah it goes into basically anything they can make it work.

IIRC they outright have a point of this when Paul sees a Fremen ration pack and is like 'There's so much Spice in this!' and Chani misunderstands him and goes 'What do you expect, we can't afford much good food'. And there's a very clear irony drawn between how Spice is insanely valuable everywhere but Arrakis. (And of course the whole deal with water)

And I've said a few times, I'm pretty sure access to Spice is very meant meant to be one of the few things that makes the Fremen lifestyle remotely bearable.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Don't skip Children because it has sandtrout battle armour.

Also idk if sandtrout were mentioned before that book but lol, sandtrout come on, that's funny.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
If you don't read past God Emperor you miss out on the Bene Guysserits meeting their bizarro-land counterparts, the Honored Brosephs.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
The Ladsraad
The Spacing Guyld
BROAM

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Bene Tleilax doesn't need a new name

That's what happens when the Space Incels win

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Bubblyblubber posted:

If you don't read past God Emperor you miss out on the Bene Guysserits meeting their bizarro-land counterparts, the Honored Brosephs.

lmao

a Bene Guysserit and an Honored Broseph getting into an argument over whose dick is more impressive.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I shudder to think what the Broseph equivalent of a Futar might be

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

uber_stoat posted:

lmao

a Bene Guysserit and an Honored Broseph getting into an argument over whose dick is more impressive.

Wait didn't the Duncan ghola have imprinting skills? Frank never went into that one. Pussy Magic makes sense sorta.

What did Duncan have, 976 vibration settings? Doing a backbend and turning himself into a Sybian

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

my man should have kept writing about space knife fights instead of weird incel poo poo about pussy mind magic

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

kiimo posted:

Wait didn't the Duncan ghola have imprinting skills? Frank never went into that one. Pussy Magic makes sense sorta.

What did Duncan have, 976 vibration settings? Doing a backbend and turning himself into a Sybian

he and an honored matre end up loving each other so hard they imprint and become enslaved to each other

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

poo poo! I am am ourobouros of gently caress!

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
Ourobonos

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

FBS posted:

I shudder to think what the Broseph equivalent of a Futar might be

In keeping with my evergreen theory of Dune being the most anime poo poo ever, futars are just sexy cat girls. In this essay,

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ixq-y_r-lkE

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

To quote my favorite book (Dune), “I have a bad feeling about this”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

it's gonna suck poo poo but i'm gonna play it