Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

mcmagic posted:

Johnny Hockey thanking god tonight he didn't have to go to the Devils.

At least he's doing his part. 25GP 9-19-28.

For that matter, so is (taps avatar), who is quietly approaching PPG pace (12GP 6-3-9).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Ovi only 99 goals away from 99

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/itsmitchmarney/status/1600676751616929793?s=46&t=eOtEI5kW0QIWEyZmOSFrPg

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Does Ovi get the circle jerk league-wide number retirement if he passes him or is that a dumb honor reserved only for Wayne?

Because, unlike 99, there are 20 other players who currently may take issue.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

Does Ovi get the circle jerk league-wide number retirement if he passes him or is that a dumb honor reserved only for Wayne?

No

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

If he gets another 1300 assists I don't see why not.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

On a number-related tangent, only one player has ever worn #6 for the Detroit Red Wings and, for the name alone, it should hang from the rafters.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/b/burtocu01.html

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

CBJSprague24 posted:

No way. If he was Canadian? Probably

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They have been very explicit they will never do that again.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Tage Thompson.

That’s my whole post. Just Tage Thompson.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I hope Ovie ENGs his way all the way to 1000 goals.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I got Ethnic and Genocide, but what does the N stand for?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Connor on pace for 158 points.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

Aphrodite posted:

Remember when all of the pissbabies got mad that Ho-Sang wore 66?

And then of course Lou Lam is an old turd who won't allow high numbers and made him change it.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Connor on pace for 158 points.

And he could still miss the playoffs! They'll sneak it but it's still funny

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://twitter.com/DimFilipovic/status/1600716275004895233

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
we're finding out a couple of vgk defensemen don't work with the new defensive system. shape up or ship out, i guess :shrug:

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

I still think they would break it in the right circumstances, same with waiving the waiting period for the Hall of Fame, but it would take a guy having a Gretzky level impact

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

CBJSprague24 posted:

he’s only like the 5th most accomplished star of his generation, so no, not even close.

the bigger knock on him IMO is that he’s never been “the guy you’d pick first for one game if your life depended on it.” he’s almost never been in the top 3 in that. Wayne was the clear answer to that for basically ten years straight, then Mario for like six years, then Lindros/Hasek/Jagr, then like Lidstrom/Pronger, then Sid for a ton of years and now Connor.

even at his peak years, for a game/playoff series I take Malkin over him, Sid, Toews, Kane, Datsyuk, Bergeron, Stammer arguably just for forwards. he’s been blessed to stay good and healthy for a long time, and I think he’ll get the record, but he’s not anywhere near Gretzky.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Dec 8, 2022

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I get what you're driving at but that's a big oversell. Ovechkin was so dangerous that he warped the game hard in his team's favor just by being on the ice. He is a bit overrated in a historical context because his value is 95% on offense, but purely on offense he is right there with Gretzky and Lemieux as the most offensively valuable players ever, despite not being on their level as a passer/distributor (though he is underrated in that area). Crosby was the better player because Crosby was also an elite defensive forward, but Toews, Kane, Stamkos? lol come on.

As for "most accomplished", well, the Capitals have won more games than any team in the NHL during Ovechkin's career, despite having zero (0) long term players besides Ovechkin who are likely to ever be in the Hall of Fame.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Eric the Mauve posted:

I get what you're driving at but that's a big oversell. Ovechkin was so dangerous that he warped the game hard in his team's favor just by being on the ice. He is a bit overrated in a historical context because his value is 95% on offense, but purely on offense he is right there with Gretzky and Lemieux as the most offensively valuable players ever, despite not being on their level as a passer/distributor (though he is underrated in that area). Crosby was the better player because Crosby was also an elite defensive forward, but Toews, Kane, Stamkos? lol come on.

As for "most accomplished", well, the Capitals have won more games than any team in the NHL during Ovechkin's career, despite having zero (0) long term players besides Ovechkin who are likely to ever be in the Hall of Fame.

Tbf Toews is one of the top NHL players of all time according to the NHL. He’s obviously right there.

Also, you think Backstrom makes the all ? You gotta think he makes it, and they put his exhibit in the hallway on the way Ovie so people can pass Backstrom on the way to Ovie.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Backstrom is getting in, no question.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

eXXon posted:

And yet he's not even the dumbest Oilers #1 pick ever (please destroy me if the Bruins make the Finals this season).

The dumbest Oiler is the Nuge who took a huge discount to keep the team together and the smartest is Nurse who made sure those savings were spent on him.

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah, Gretzky was the stars aligning for that sorta thing. He was the best player that will ever play the game and also coincidentally had the final available number so it isn't jarring to take it out of circulation like say 8 or 9 would. Only two other guys wore 99 ever other than Gretzky. He wanted 9 like his idol Howe, but his it wasn't available on the Greyhounds thanks to the immortal Brian Gualazzi so he went with 99.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Dec 8, 2022

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

he’s only like the 5th most accomplished star of his generation, so no, not even close.

the bigger knock on him IMO is that he’s never been “the guy you’d pick first for one game if your life depended on it.” he’s almost never been in the top 3 in that. Wayne was the clear answer to that for basically ten years straight, then Mario for like six years, then Lindros/Hasek/Jagr, then like Lidstrom/Pronger, then Sid for a ton of years and now Connor.

even at his peak years, for a game/playoff series I take Malkin over him, Sid, Toews, Kane, Datsyuk, Bergeron, Stammer arguably just for forwards. he’s been blessed to stay good and healthy for a long time, and I think he’ll get the record, but he’s not anywhere near Gretzky.

lol ok

No way they retire No. 8 leaguewide. But the league seems to have locked pretty hard on his scoring quest as a marketing gimmick for getting the NHL to break through on Sportscenter and national sports pages. It's all they really talk about on the regional broadcasts. And when the Caps are broadcast nationally the announcers generally don't seem to know a single other player or what narratives are actually going on with the team, but they'll talk about Ovi for a couple hours!

I expect the marketing will only get goofier, especially as the Caps get worse and Ovechkin gets closer to the mark.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Tage Thompson.

That’s my whole post. Just Tage Thompson.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Huh, so when you play your young talent with your top center they score goals and stuff? Are you sure that’s how it’s supposed to work?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
There's no way Ovechkin gets his number retired league-wide, but pretending he's the fifth best player in his generation is stupid. Sorry. The dude has NINE Rockets. I know it's a relatively new trophy but that's insane. We may never see a goal scorer like him again.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Washington would be like 88% as good without Ovechkin, other people would just be allowed to shoot instead.

I've done the math. No, I won't show you.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Aphrodite posted:

Washington would be like 88% as good without Ovechkin, other people would just be allowed to shoot instead.

I've done the math. No, I won't show you.

I'd say about 14% worse. Maybe average that out to 87% as good.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Wow edgy jokes.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I picked it because his number is 8, but I agree Crosby is definitely a nazi.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

I picked it because his number is 8, but I agree Crosby is definitely a nazi.

The ubermumps

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

Yeah, Gretzky was the stars aligning for that sorta thing. He was the best player that will ever play the game and also coincidentally had the final available number so it isn't jarring to take it out of circulation like say 8 or 9 would. Only two other guys wore 99 ever other than Gretzky. He wanted 9 like his idol Howe, but his it wasn't available on the Greyhounds thanks to the immortal Brian Gualazzi so he went with 99.

It's not just the NHL too, 99 is de facto retired in all of organized hockey because who the hell is giving a kid a 99 jersey so no one should have any sort of attachment to the number so really retiring it is a PR move that affects 0 people. On the other hand, pretty much every youth team probably has an 8 on it.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Arivia posted:

The ubermumps

Herrmumps Crosbing

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

pseudodragon posted:

It's not just the NHL too, 99 is de facto retired in all of organized hockey because who the hell is giving a kid a 99 jersey so no one should have any sort of attachment to the number so really retiring it is a PR move that affects 0 people. On the other hand, pretty much every youth team probably has an 8 on it.

That's because most youth orgs start at 1 and count up so they aren't duplicating numbers in the lower age groups. There are a ton of 87 and 97 out there too once they're picking their own numbers.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
10 days post stroke Letang skated with a full contact jersey today, but was rotating on the 3rd pairing with Rudwedel. Archibald was missing and Poehling was in a non contact so decent chance Pens run 11 forwards tomorrow night and very outside chance Letang returns during the home and home with Buffalo though I'd think Monday against Dallas in Pittsburgh more likely.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
do they retire letangs jersey league-wide when he dies on the ice?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Real_RobRossi/status/1600884479274651649?s=20&t=hjB2dLxafQkh2xa5ly92nA

Guys rule

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/grodysattva/status/1600890626618413058

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

There's no way Ovechkin gets his number retired league-wide, but pretending he's the fifth best player in his generation is stupid. Sorry. The dude has NINE Rockets. I know it's a relatively new trophy but that's insane. We may never see a goal scorer like him again.

He's also only one of just eight guys to win the Hart 3 or more times. He's a "skip the waiting period" level HHOF candidate and if he breaks Gretzky's goal record likely the defining player of the post lockout era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
he'll always be the "guy just stood there and socked dingers" player to me

e: also the "probably loaded up on all kinds of experimental peds"

e: also also "supports a fascist dictator"