Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
When you think about it acting itself is a form of lying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

War and Pieces posted:

we are less than a decade away from movies where Romans getting slaughtered in movies is as popular with mainstream libs as colonial French and British getting slaughtered.

R rated Asterix

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

galagazombie posted:

When you think about it acting itself is a form of lying.

Literally the classical belief

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Literally the classical belief
So really
is just the acting professions long planned revenge.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

i say swears online posted:

crash (2004), but remade in denmark
the story of how the director once had his bike stolen, so he stole someone else's bike to get home

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

https://twitter.com/ndrew_lawrence/status/1600685925822259200?t=OllMZ3nBIS-WKjpw8hIKOA&s=19

going by this list, "woke movie" means pretty good movie

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Captain EO?

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/TheRock/status/1600589666683846656 he's so mad lol

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

All I know about EO is it's a Polish movie about a donkey and I've been seeing it get a fair amount of buzz so hell, whenever it's available I'll watch the donkey movie

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
My Best Movie of 2022? Gotta go with PULP FICTION once again this year

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

If Trump made a superhero movie this is exactly the sort of tweet he'd write about it

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Ghost Leviathan posted:

R rated Asterix

hell yeah

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

I have only heard of one of these movies

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

R rated Asterix

"I don't think a 10 minute scene of Caesar having full and complete sex with Obelix was necessary, but god drat it was hot!"

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I am legitimately curious to see Hannity's top ten films of this year

They can't all be about Hunter Biden right?

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Mr Hootington posted:

I have only heard of one of these movies

https://twitter.com/Glittering_Pink/status/1600335694949679104

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

i really want to see EO, i've heard nothing but gushing praise and the trailer has me hooked already, my most anticipated 2022 movie i've yet to see other than AFTERSUN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrBeSQbdXmw

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

donkey film looks sick, i'll watch that tonight if i can get it

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

drat i had no idea Skolimowski was still alive much less working, dude must be like 100 years old.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

mawarannahr posted:

if she lies convincingly maybe that makes her a good storyteller

this

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Thinking about it some more, I think "woke" specifically as used by chuds means the same thing as "bro" specifically used by centrists: a nigh-involuntary interjection used when someone thinks they know better or are more moral than you. Whether they actually do or are is incidental.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

loquacius posted:

I am legitimately curious to see Hannity's top ten films of this year

They can't all be about Hunter Biden right?

Top gun Maverick is gonna be #1 and he'll be right

mawarannahr posted:

if she lies convincingly maybe that makes her a good storyteller

f for fake is an entire movie about this and Orson Welles had a big segment about his own career being founded on lies

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

also KIMI owns, such a fun movie, props to manohla for the placement

i still think NOPE kinda sucked tho

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

i really want to see EO, i've heard nothing but gushing praise and the trailer has me hooked already, my most anticipated 2022 movie i've yet to see other than AFTERSUN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrBeSQbdXmw

I'm sorry, this is a sad film, about a donkey?? I'm staying clear of that, that's an emotional time bomb that will wreck me, I can't handle sad animals

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

McCloud posted:

I'm sorry, this is a sad film, about a donkey?? I'm staying clear of that, that's an emotional time bomb that will wreck me, I can't handle sad animals

Have you seen au hasard Balthazar

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

NOPE had some really well-shot scenes that were tense as hell, in particular the chimp massacre and the scene where the protagonist is trapped in his truck at night, and a nice supporting role for Michael Wincott, but overall I didn't think it was great

it felt like all the pieces were there but it wasn't put together right

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Really? Then you should be excited to have... Maybe eight potential undiscovered classics to watch then.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

I just laugh thinking about it because in order to shoot it in Seattle they shut down blocks and moved homeless out of the way. they also had portable toilets everywhere for the set hands which was an added lol.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Really? Then you should be excited to have... Maybe eight potential undiscovered classics to watch then.

this but unironically, I can't really imagine being in that person's position and not thinking "oh cool, I'm gonna look into these movies, maybe they're good"

I don't hold a ~*film degree*~ though

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

loquacius posted:

this but unironically, I can't really imagine being in that person's position and not thinking "oh cool, I'm gonna look into these movies, maybe they're good"

my freshman year at RIT, where I was rejected as a film major because I didn't take enough art classes in high school to have a portfolio, I met a film student who said their favorite movie was "Jumper" starring Hayden Christensen

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
NOPE sucked and more people should be brave enough to say it. Chimp massacre part was awesome and genuinely frightening/unsettling and well done but otherwise nope it was not good

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
None of these lists have had rrr, which should disqualify them from existing imo

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Seriously, just griping to gripe. It ain't, like, the Nobel Prize here, no one gives a gently caress that the honor of being on A.O. Scott's Top 10 list was denied to whatever movies you liked this year.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

oh drat i forgot my fave Kore-Eda has a film out this year (prob won't be able to see it til next) and stars Song Kang Ho (of Parasite among others), def added to my must-sees

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vm3B-fDc9Xw

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

NOPE sucked and more people should be brave enough to say it. Chimp massacre part was awesome and genuinely frightening/unsettling and well done but otherwise nope it was not good
:yeah:

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

Have you seen au hasard Balthazar

No money in the world can convince me to see that

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
flux gourmet is really fun.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

my freshman year at RIT, where I was rejected as a film major because I didn't take enough art classes in high school to have a portfolio, I met a film student who said their favorite movie was "Jumper" starring Hayden Christensen

Get them an account and tell them to post in CineD

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

McCloud posted:

check this out instead https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkCXJfdJE5A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there
I also found the underlying message of Nope to be also really confused and contradictory (much like us). every step of the way, we're told that animals should be treated with respect, shouldn't be treated as vehicles for fame and attention and are much more - and more dangerous - than simple tools. but at the end them killing and taking a picture of the monster is portrayed as this heroic event, complete with orchestral music and a character feared dead turning out to be alive. And, yes, I know it's also a (not exactly original) parable about fame and Hollywood, but it's also clearly interested in the phenomenon of dangerous animals in media, and I found that specific message particularly confused.

peele has some interesting ideas but actually sticking the landing isn't his best skill. don't really get why everyone sees him as this visionary director when everything he's done besides get out! and key and peele is very confused and overly ambitious.

oscarthewilde has issued a correction as of 16:30 on Dec 8, 2022