Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

wowie, I'm glad that forums are still a thing with nu-DF

you should see the de facto central DF discord, the misinformation grows faster and thicker than I can hack away at it

a slower format like this is so much better for figuring this tangle out

e: can I get an OP pass to the gang tag, i'll extract something funnï from my earlier output

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
Look on the bright side, the hamsters are fine.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

scamtank posted:

wowie, I'm glad that forums are still a thing with nu-DF

you should see the de facto central DF discord, the misinformation grows faster and thicker than I can hack away at it

a slower format like this is so much better for figuring this tangle out

e: can I get an OP pass to the gang tag, i'll extract something funnï from my earlier output

Really, having only 2 viable rooms and no threads enabled in there is terrible.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

How do I rent rooms? I have my dining room designated as a tavern with a keeper and I built on some additional bedrooms and expanded the zone to include them, but I have no idea if I'm missing something or the visitors simply aren't using them.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Appoda posted:

How do I rent rooms? I have my dining room designated as a tavern with a keeper and I built on some additional bedrooms and expanded the zone to include them, but I have no idea if I'm missing something or the visitors simply aren't using them.

You need to make bedroom zones then assign those to the inn.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

FrickenMoron posted:

You need to make bedroom zones then assign those to the inn.

Gotcha, thanks. While I'm at it, how do I start a new fortress in the same world while keeping my old one? I did it before but now "continue active game" just goes to one of my fort saves. Do I need to retire the old one first before trying something in a different biome?

E: NVM, yeah I have to retire. Across versions of this game, I've kinda forgotten how it worked; seems like I can come back, but maybe things change as time progresses? That's kind of interesting

Appoda fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Dec 8, 2022

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

Mostly just writing this here for somewhere to write stuff before I forget.

First, are people noticing people (dwarf, human, elf) getting stuck up trees? I have 1 stuck up a tree currently and one who nearly caused the downfall of my whole fort.

I'd been happily going along in year... four? five? almost constantly trading and the armed guards who come with traders were merrily taking out everything that came along, including named beasts, until one day one of the traders caravans were attacked by goblins. The human guards took the 2 of them out very swiftly but the trader had run up a tree to escape and I did not know this because she was several z levels above my ground. I just wondered why them loading their poo poo was taking so long. Anyway eventually I cut down the tree just to get the wood and she was badly injured and died before I could figure out how to get her to hospital. I presume I need stretchers or something?

Anyway totally my bad, but the guards went berserk and my population went from 50 something to 30 something. Somehow my unpowered, unarmed and mostly unweaponed citizenry took out the human guards and I set about trying to set up a crypt while being haunted and having to deal with everything else including a workshop possessed woodcutter.

So a named minataur shows up and is somehow de-weaponed by one of the survivors who then set about killing it with its own weapon. Nobody even died. Then a human spear guy shows up and slaughters like 10 more of my poor dwarfs while they run around scrambling, miserable and tormented, I lose a further 5 to dehydration. The nearly naked elf in my tavern, however, has been ecstatically happy the whole time.

The workshop possessed guy I didn't get to fast enough and then he goes berserk and murders me down to like 10, right before they kill him finally like fifty odd migrants show up. Why they don't turn and run I don't know but they are also traumatised by ghosts and miasma pretty soon after.

Somehow I got the next possession sorted out and making a comeback with 70 very unhappy dwarfs and one very happy naked elf.

So uh... How do I get my dwarf and or any future idiot traders out of trees?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Tambaloneus posted:

Mostly just writing this here for somewhere to write stuff before I forget.

First, are people noticing people (dwarf, human, elf) getting stuck up trees? I have 1 stuck up a tree currently and one who nearly caused the downfall of my whole fort.

I'd been happily going along in year... four? five? almost constantly trading and the armed guards who come with traders were merrily taking out everything that came along, including named beasts, until one day one of the traders caravans were attacked by goblins. The human guards took the 2 of them out very swiftly but the trader had run up a tree to escape and I did not know this because she was several z levels above my ground. I just wondered why them loading their poo poo was taking so long. Anyway eventually I cut down the tree just to get the wood and she was badly injured and died before I could figure out how to get her to hospital. I presume I need stretchers or something?

Anyway totally my bad, but the guards went berserk and my population went from 50 something to 30 something. Somehow my unpowered, unarmed and mostly unweaponed citizenry took out the human guards and I set about trying to set up a crypt while being haunted and having to deal with everything else including a workshop possessed woodcutter.

So a named minataur shows up and is somehow de-weaponed by one of the survivors who then set about killing it with its own weapon. Nobody even died. Then a human spear guy shows up and slaughters like 10 more of my poor dwarfs while they run around scrambling, miserable and tormented, I lose a further 5 to dehydration. The nearly naked elf in my tavern, however, has been ecstatically happy the whole time.

The workshop possessed guy I didn't get to fast enough and then he goes berserk and murders me down to like 10, right before they kill him finally like fifty odd migrants show up. Why they don't turn and run I don't know but they are also traumatised by ghosts and miasma pretty soon after.

Somehow I got the next possession sorted out and making a comeback with 70 very unhappy dwarfs and one very happy naked elf.

So uh... How do I get my dwarf and or any future idiot traders out of trees?

It keeps happening in my game and others too. Dwarves confirmed cats.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Anyone else running out of seeds pretty fast? I have a plump helmet plot year round and only use them for brewing, yet 2-3 years in I have barely any spawn to plant in a 5x5 plot and no leftovers.

I remembe in the OG just having a single plump helmet plot you'd swim in spawn by year 2.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Nessus posted:

Motherfucker I had some Agitated Giant Ravens fly into my poo poo and just kill four dwarves and all my loose geese before the woodcutter (who had brought a steel axe with him from his old job) regulated. What the gently caress is this, Dwarf Fortress: Birdemic?

For serious, my third steam fort was completely eradicated by Lovebirds by the end of the second month

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

What's the best way to Leather? I've never been good at plant/animal processing and usually request fabric from the caravans.

How many and what animals are good to embark with? How do you protect your pastures?

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Completely new to Dwarf Fortress, been trying and failing relentlessly for the past few days trying to figure this mess out.

One attempt I had tonight involved settling into a volcano. I know where you're expecting this to go, but no, only one dwarf got horribly burned alive. No, my real crime was settling in Dwarfstralia.

I didn't think much of the mass raven attacks at first - my cats seemed to be able to keep them at bay. But they kept infiltrating far into my deepest stockpiles in the fortress, with raven corpses littering the halls by the end of the first year. Strangely, the dwarves didn't seem to mind, so I focused on using the lava to produce weaponry.

My gatherers, in their lust for booze, eventually ran afoul of a kangaroo. It managed to kill several of them, with the survivors being heavily traumatized. Soon, the kangaroos began to congregate outside the fortress, at which point I hastily arranged a militia to deal with the problem, four dwarves armed with freshly produced iron spears and axes.

And then the emus showed up. Only a mangled emu corpse, at first, left menacingly on my production floor inside the caldera of the volcano. Apparently the emus were sending a message - soon the workers were overran by an entire flock of murder birds. As the worker dwarves fled, the militia engaged the emus, fighting them to a standstill.

The kangaroos, sensing a moment of weakness, broke down the doors and began infiltrating the fort. My militia leader broke from the pack to engage the group of kangaroos, now holed up in the primary food storage room. Upon engaging with the first kangaroo, the militia leader had four of his front teeth kicked out, resulting in him vomiting all over the room in fear. Still, he began slaying the kangaroos, until only a single buck remained. The leader killed the last kangaroo, but died in the process, becoming a hero in a food storage room now covered wall to wall in vomit and kangaroo/dwarf blood.

I tossed his body in the volcano, as an offering to whatever cursed god resides here.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

canepazzo posted:

Anyone else running out of seeds pretty fast? I have a plump helmet plot year round and only use them for brewing, yet 2-3 years in I have barely any spawn to plant in a 5x5 plot and no leftovers.

I remembe in the OG just having a single plump helmet plot you'd swim in spawn by year 2.

Did you remember to set it so the kitchen doesn't cook off plump helmets and thus give you no seeds back?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

You need to build some stepladders to get people out of trees, make like five when you first set up your carpenter. It's always been an issue.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

scamtank posted:

Modest Mod had an optional set of raws for such a thing, keep an eye out for its re-emergence

and I get it to a degree, that's why I've been working on a creature variation that takes giant creatures and makes them use the materials of their original root critters instead

Oh sick, thank you for the heads-up!

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i have acquired a book off a dead goblin who tried to lead an attack. thanks you for the literature. its bad and long.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I started looking in to that mysterious goblin pope that my dwarves made a bunch of statues of and it made me remember how much I love this game.

The Communion of Defenses is the oldest (founded in 23) and largest of three cults of Ottem Healedgloves, a dwarven goddess of fortresses worshiped in the dwarven civilization of The Tangled Clasps. Two of these cults, The Communion of Defenses and the Communion of Sanctuary, were founded in Wildhames, a dwarven fortress of The Tangled Clasps founded in Year 1.

In year 29, the dwarves of Wildhames breached the underworld, and also that year they were attacked by a goblin civilization lead by a forgotten beast, I have no idea if those two things are connected but I assume so since most of the fighting in the conquest of Wildhames seems to be dwarves getting murdered by flea fiends and steam spirits and bat demons and such. In any case, Wildhames falls to this goblin group, The Mindful Ruthlessness, lead by the chameleon brute Ngoso Foggycavern the Infinite Wickedness of Labyrinths (an enormous, emaciated, skinless chameleon twisted into humanoid form). She apparently takes a shine to dwarven civilization, or at least dwarven religion, and becomes a casual worshipper of a few different dwarven deities, including Ottem Healedgloves. The next year, however, she lead an attack on the dwarven hillock of Lashtattooed and while the attack was successful and lead to the plundering of Lashtattooed, Ngoso Foggycavern was struck down by some unnamed dwarf.

Datan Såkzulkulal is a female goblin, one of the first of her kind, still alive as of 101. Interestingly, Datan Såkzulkulal is a dwarven name. She is a citizen of The Mindful Ruthlessness but there's no records of her before she's appointed as the lowest level priest of a temple of The Communion of Defenses in spring of 31, presumably after the former priest of the temple at Wildhames, a goblin named Bosa Servantghoul who settled there during the goblin conquest in 29, went off to lead another attack on Lashtattooed and got mauled to death by a dog that same year.

Anyway, Datan spends the next 20 odd years having a series of kids and on-again, off-again relationships with a couple goblins, Stosbûb Holemonsters a male goblin from Lepervice who fought in a bunch of attacks on Lashtattooed and became best friends with a dwarf before taking over as Master of Wildhames, where he hooked up with Datan. He spent the next several years going on a series of adventures fighting humans and journeying to the depths of the underworld, becoming the father of six of Datan's kids in the meantime. Meanwhile, while Stosbûb was off on adventures, Datan hooked up with a goblin bard named Nguslu Viceclimax who fathered one of her daughters (and promptly got eaten by a grizzly bear). Datan was also getting goblin pipe from the beastmaster, Ngoso Watchfulhate, who fathered five of her kids and then got murdered in Wildhames by a dwarf named Kel Helmcircle, the occasional wife of Bëmbul Gearedsinge, King of The Tangled Clasps, who also moved to Wildhames in 31.

Around year 58, Datan went off to the dwarven fortress of Crewguild, a site of The Tangled Clasps, presumably as a missionary? But maybe just to run in the never-ending series of footraces being held there. In 72 Datan hooked up with a goblin named Tosid Fortresssplashed, (another goblin with a dwarf name), a very serious devotee of Ottem Healedgloves, a member of The Communion of Defenses, and mayor of Crewguild, so maybe it's not a coincidence that, while still living in Crewguild and in a relationship with the mayor, she's made first a High Defense of The Communion of Defenses in 81, and then The Most Holy Armor of The Communion of Defenses in 88. Anyway, they break up in 92, Tosid starts seeing the goblin lady warlord of Wildhames, and Datan starts seeing a goblin scout from Jackalcolumns named Ngoso Evilfree who came to Crewguild in 89 to gather information, apparently became a worshipper of Ottem and member of the Communion of Defenses before becoming Datan's wife and settling in Wildhames in 100.

TL;DR: I figured out who the mysterious goblin from the statues my dwarves built for their temple is: a goblin with a dwarven name, highest ranking priestess of a dwarven religion, with 13 kids by three fathers (honestly I might have miscounted the kids and dads it's really hard to keep track) who finally settled down and married another lady goblin.

Sadly only two of her kids survived to year 100: her eldest son, a butcher turned criminal turned priest of the Communion of Defenses who married in to goblin nobility becoming Lord Consort of a Dark Fortress; and her eldest daughter, a criminal who escaped from the troll who killed her infant daughter, became a priestess of the Communion of Defenses and lived in Crewguild winning footraces before moving back in with her mom at Wildhames in 100.

hailthefish fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Dec 8, 2022

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
I thought I was doing OK, on my fourth winter, but then I got a message that a were-gila monster had arrived and I killed it with only one person dying. A little later my population went from 52 to 19 as apparently the were-gila monster had infected everyone that fought it and they were all in the temple to the goddess of death, and then only 1 dwarf hadn't been infected.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Whats everyone's FPS looking like these days? I'm at 212 dwarfs and 31 fps.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Monathin posted:

Did you remember to set it so the kitchen doesn't cook off plump helmets and thus give you no seeds back?

Yup, and not using the wine for cooking either. I think dwarves or livestock might be eating seeds? Tho I have plenty of meals, few hundreds of them.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Decrepus posted:

What's the best way to Leather? I've never been good at plant/animal processing and usually request fabric from the caravans.

How many and what animals are good to embark with? How do you protect your pastures?

I usually go with 4x ewes and rams on embark, sheep provide meat and wool and milk and leather. I'm thinking I would go with 6 and 6 next time if I could afford it. I usually dig up from beneath to create a walled in garden area, with butcher's shop and tannery. There's nothing to be done about birds flying in but it keeps out the other kinds of hostiles. Set up a work order for 'seasonally, milk creatures # of sheep, shear creatures # of sheep and you'll get a nice trickle income of food and wool, and can butcher any extras once you are satisfied.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

deep dish peat moss posted:

Okay, I just found out that the reason I missed so many caravans is because they were falling into the river and dying. I didn't even know they died, so I never memorialized them and now they're coming back as ghosts to haunt me :(

Is there anything I can do to retrieve all their goods and corpses that are on the bottom of a 2 tile deep river at the bottom of a waterfall? and how can I get rid of the ghosts?

Make a slab at the stone workshop, then engrave the slab to the baby merchants and bodyguards at the same shop, then install the slab somewhere.
Knowing they are remembered gives the ghosts peace.

As for the goods. You know what game this is...
Megaproject time! Dam and divert the river! Not into your fort though.
Beware of carp!

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

canepazzo posted:

Your cook prefers to use seeds in cooking?

Labor (y) -> Kitchen
Or go to the labor menu in the bottom left and then the "kitchen" tab. Forbid seeds.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

The UI being mouse centric keeps bugging me out. Are they planning for console/mobile release or something or why on earth so many keybindings have been removed. You cant even examine stuff anymore. And why on earth did they remove keybinds they arent even using in new version.
Macros are hell as well due to keyboard cursor resetting its location each time you finish designating something. Workaround for that is to press keyboard shortcut key first so that it keeps designating things and returning cursor to fixed position. I feel like im clciking 10x more in new release.

But at same time i cant move back to free release anymore either as the new UI and graphics and music is a big leap forward.

Dark Off fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Dec 8, 2022

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

The dev post is probably ten pages back but I appreciate that in the Kitfox FAQ they're saying that mods are cool but if you're using them to be weird then they'll get deleted. Rimworld already has a *lot* of issues with turning colonies into "haha its like a concentration camp with rape and genocide but not really but actually really" with mods, and boy could that happen here if they don't crack down on it.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Zereth posted:

Blocks do go in bins.

Raw stones don't though. Blocks are the processed ones.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I really should not bother with hunting or whatever, I bugged out a start again putting those skills on a woodcutter dwarf and they wouldn't switch to their axe and start chopping wood.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

CuddleCryptid posted:

The dev post is probably ten pages back but I appreciate that in the Kitfox FAQ they're saying that mods are cool but if you're using them to be weird then they'll get deleted. Rimworld already has a *lot* of issues with turning colonies into "haha its like a concentration camp with rape and genocide but not really but actually really" with mods, and boy could that happen here if they don't crack down on it.

Technically dwarf fortress already has had both with sentient creature farms and night creature kidnappings.
It is terrifying.

And based on the survival rates and local environment these are death camps.

Also the inability to construct stair components interacts badly with aquifers. If your designation gets cancelled and you start from the tile below your down stairs it doesn't build an up stair and you now can't easily fix it. I would get shoving it in an advanced design menu but removing it is like removing knives because of the automatic bread slicer.

Barrel Cactaur fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Dec 8, 2022

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Is there an easy way to scroll through dwarf profiles? It's a bit time-consuming and awkward to leave the menu every time, open it up again, and select the next dwarf when I'm looking around for this and that

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Barrel Cactaur posted:

Technically dwarf fortress already has had both with sentient creature farms and night creature kidnappings.
It is terrifying

True, but at least that's all in good fantasy world fun, rather than Rimworld where there's popular mods revolving around involuntary hysterectomies.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

toasterwarrior posted:

I really should not bother with hunting or whatever, I bugged out a start again putting those skills on a woodcutter dwarf and they wouldn't switch to their axe and start chopping wood.

Yeah even without those issues hunting to my understanding can be a huge gamble in some biomes and more likely to kill your dwarf than not so I put a couple of useless/jobless dwarves on the task. I think my current fort it's a pump operator and a peasant.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
160k sold already! Hell yeah Tarn getting a much deserved payday this month!

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Dec 8, 2022

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Captainicus posted:

I usually go with 4x ewes and rams on embark, sheep provide meat and wool and milk and leather. I'm thinking I would go with 6 and 6 next time if I could afford it. I usually dig up from beneath to create a walled in garden area, with butcher's shop and tannery. There's nothing to be done about birds flying in but it keeps out the other kinds of hostiles. Set up a work order for 'seasonally, milk creatures # of sheep, shear creatures # of sheep and you'll get a nice trickle income of food and wool, and can butcher any extras once you are satisfied.

Thanks. I'll have to try that next time

Macdoo
Jul 24, 2012

Bad Tabletop Opinions Haver
This new UI makes it much easier to just play and enjoy the interactions. Remembered I could tip buckets down a hole to make mud for farms and now all the dwarven kids are just having fun running back and forth with their buckets of water.

Fake Name
Mar 6, 2009

"Han Solo, ha. If I'm around, you don't need that guy."
Is there a way to see what specific temples have been requested? I had a request for a temple and a craftsdwarf guild hall and completely forgot which of the 20 gods I should be dedicating a temple to.

Games real fun though, lost my first Fort to were-squirrel infection, 2nd one is going well but oh god why is making a display case such a convoluted process. Its important to me that the forts greatest creation is displayed for all to see in the dining hall. The creation is a fancy rope.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Have any of the old utilities been updated yet? Specifically looking for an update of quick fort and the thing that lets you see all the un-dug terrain.

authwiggidywack
Oct 29, 2013

Macdoo posted:

This new UI makes it much easier to just play and enjoy the interactions. Remembered I could tip buckets down a hole to make mud for farms and now all the dwarven kids are just having fun running back and forth with their buckets of water.

You can use buckets?! I've been making a floodgate with a lever and diverting a pond or brook forever :aaa:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Fake Name posted:

Is there a way to see what specific temples have been requested? I had a request for a temple and a craftsdwarf guild hall and completely forgot which of the 20 gods I should be dedicating a temple to.

Games real fun though, lost my first Fort to were-squirrel infection, 2nd one is going well but oh god why is making a display case such a convoluted process. Its important to me that the forts greatest creation is displayed for all to see in the dining hall. The creation is a fancy rope.
Well there should be a Petitions window somewhere which will tell you what you've got open, since you can defer admission for random layabout musicians and Monster Hunters if you want. However, it's also generally going to be your largest religion represented that doesn't already have a temple.

People should be aware that they can dodge the existence of werewolves and vampires by setting # of such curses to 0 when using advanced worldgen. I do not recommend this for "full flavor," but it may be a reduction in extraneous stress while learning the <*pig tail ropes*>

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Is there a way to check who my fort's neighbors are? I'm afraid I was too focused on avoiding an aquifer that I didn't start with gobbos or elves or humans nearby :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fake Name
Mar 6, 2009

"Han Solo, ha. If I'm around, you don't need that guy."

Nessus posted:

Well there should be a Petitions window somewhere which will tell you what you've got open, since you can defer admission for random layabout musicians and Monster Hunters if you want. However, it's also generally going to be your largest religion represented that doesn't already have a temple.

People should be aware that they can dodge the existence of werewolves and vampires by setting # of such curses to 0 when using advanced worldgen. I do not recommend this for "full flavor," but it may be a reduction in extraneous stress while learning the <*pig tail ropes*>

I accepted the petition and it disappeared... To be on the safe side I shall plan a floor of temples, that should appease the gods and deliver the Fort safely from were-beasts.

Anyway the game owns and I'm amazed at how effective the mouse controls are after not playing in years. Thank you SA posters for the ancient LPs which got me into it!