Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Saladman posted:

I’m confused by this shopping list — 830,000 artillery shells for FY2023. That’s like 70,000/month. The article just a couple days ago said production would be 20,000/month in 2023 and 40,000/month for 2025. Was that just talking about like one factory or one specific subset of 155mm shells?

The whole thing about this bill is that they're allowing multi-year contracting, which is a big departure from the norm. The ramp up to assemble all of these munitions alone will likely extend for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Vox Nihili posted:

The whole thing about this bill is that they're allowing multi-year contracting, which is a big departure from the norm. The ramp up to assemble all of these munitions alone will likely extend for years.

A consequence of budget cuts and Pentagon choices. Things like Stinger missiles which proved so useful for the UA to shut down Russian airpower apparently had their production lines shut down back in 2008. Raython says production won't start up until 2023 after a contract back in May was tendered to them. People keep saying the US spends too much on its military. The reality is that the DoD budget is probably very modest for what American leaders, and ultimately its citizens, demand of it.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Not sure if this was posted but they literally dropped a shell right into Maria pirogavas lap

:nms:
https://metro.co.uk/2022/12/06/ukraine-mp-who-was-fan-of-putin-killed-in-ukrainian-shelling-17891144/

There's video out there from a hacked CCTV camera they must have been using to get a targeting solution on her because Holy hell, it's a direct hit.

queeb fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Dec 8, 2022

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

queeb posted:

Not sure if this was posted but they literally dropped a shell right into Maria pirogavas lap

https://metro.co.uk/2022/12/06/ukraine-mp-who-was-fan-of-putin-killed-in-ukrainian-shelling-17891144/

There's video out there from a hacked CCTV camera they must have been using to get a targeting solution on her because Holy hell, it's a direct hit.

Who is this? This is first I've ever heard of that name, did she do something noteworthy or was this just a random DPR politician?

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

WarpedLichen posted:

Who is this? This is first I've ever heard of that name, did she do something noteworthy or was this just a random DPR politician?

She was apparently the parliamentary deputy and I’ve seen it written she was second in charge. Not sure how accurate that is, since she was a 29 year old but stranger things have been true.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

queeb posted:

Calling it a direct hit doesnt do the precision of the strike justice. That was one hell of an assassination

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Is my adblocker doing something funky? I don’t see a video.

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Calling it a direct hit doesnt do the precision of the strike justice. That was one hell of an assassination

That was absurdly accurate, would this be an Excalibur round we've heard about?

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Is my adblocker doing something funky? I don’t see a video.

Same. I don't see any video

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

Same. I don't see any video

You have to find it yourself, I guess. It's available if you dig.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Deteriorata posted:

Sometimes this thread feels like marketing agencies trying to outdo one another.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Deteriorata posted:

Was just wondering if I was supposed to see a video embed on the news article or if I have to search twitter I suppose.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Here's the video if you want to see it. Note, it's a Russian supporting DPR politician getting bullseyed bye an artillery or rocket artillery round, though not not as horrible gory considering, it's kinda blocked by a car. But still, loving hell the accuracy.

Extremely NMS

:nms: :nms:
https://www.reddit.com/r/UkraineWarVideoReport/comments/zf8bdm

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009
Drones dropping munitions is crazy scary, but a much smaller and nigh-impossible to find drone giving GPS numbers for the GPS enabled M777 artillery is pure nightmare fuel. You don't need a guy in a building across the street or on a nearby hill lasing the target anymore, you and the spotter can be safely over the horizon and the enemy can't even use anti-radiation weapons to return fire.

She was an odd target to pick though; hitting officers in the field makes all the sense at the tactical level. Hitting bombers 600 km away at their airbases makes all the sense at both the strategic and political level. This kind of assassination is a lot more murky at every level. Feels a lot more personal.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
SBU most definitely has hit list of pro russian officials whenever the opportunity arises.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Just heard Zelensky is Time Magazine's person of the year.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Orthanc6 posted:

She was an odd target to pick though; hitting officers in the field makes all the sense at the tactical level. Hitting bombers 600 km away at their airbases makes all the sense at both the strategic and political level. This kind of assassination is a lot more murky at every level. Feels a lot more personal.

This didn't involve the same resources that are hitting airfields, and if someone on your Naughty List is spotted by a drone, then they're next up. I'm pretty sure the UAF would have hit a Russian Colonel in preference to her, but if you have a sighting and an available fire mission, then you hit the target you have.

e.

Small White Dragon posted:

Just heard Zelensky is Time Magazine's person of the year.

This was obvious, but good on him.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Orthanc6 posted:

Not really, she was apparently one of the top political pro-russian leaders in the annexed regions and thence very much a valid high value target. And also explains why Ukraine went to some effort to do this.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

queeb posted:

Here's the video if you want to see it. Note, it's a Russian supporting DPR politician getting bullseyed bye an artillery or rocket artillery round, though not not as horrible gory considering, it's kinda blocked by a car. But still, loving hell the accuracy.

Extremely NMS

Bro you hit me like that in Worms Amageddon I'm calling hacks :stare:
Even from the very front line it is what, 150km at least? I know that they have practice but sheesh.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

queeb posted:

Extremely NMS

Landed like 2 meters from her.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
On a second look - looks more like a car bomb. The lights go on for a second before detonation, so maybe it was primed to go as the doors unlock or something.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Not really, she was apparently one of the top political pro-russian leaders in the annexed regions and thence very much a valid high value target. And also explains why Ukraine went to some effort to do this.

She wasn’t a top leader of any sort, where do you even get something like that from? She’s got literally nothing public to her name, besides being a rank and file member of “DNR” “parliament” running a crappy blog.

Kikas posted:

Bro you hit me like that in Worms Amageddon I'm calling hacks :stare:
Even from the very front line it is what, 150km at least? I know that they have practice but sheesh.

It’s 20-30 km from Donetsk city centre to the government-controlled territory. Please check a map.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Kikas posted:

On a second look - looks more like a car bomb. The lights go on for a second before detonation, so maybe it was primed to go as the doors unlock or something.

The explosion is definitely not centered on the car.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

The Reddit combat footage thread assumed it was a random shot and just plain dumb luck it nailed them. It makes sense for me.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

queeb posted:

Extremely NMS

As a fellow human being i'll just say there was no time for pain, that's as about as quick as i would want to go.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Electric Wrigglies posted:

The Reddit combat footage thread assumed it was a random shot and just plain dumb luck it nailed them. It makes sense for me.

If the Ukrainians are randomly shelling municipal parking lots in Donetsk, then what the gently caress? Note only would that be a waste militarily, but it would also prove the point that they're as bad as the Russians. I don't even think that is a DNR government building; all of the windows are boarded up and blocked, so I really hope the Ukrainians aren't randomly firing at parking lots in the hopes that 1/10,000 shells will hit someone important, and the other 9999 will hit nothing of military value, but instead destroy random kindergartens and old ladies.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Saladman posted:

If the Ukrainians are randomly shelling municipal parking lots in Donetsk, then what the gently caress? Note only would that be a waste militarily, but it would also prove the point that they're as bad as the Russians. I don't even think that is a DNR government building; all of the windows are boarded up and blocked, so I really hope the Ukrainians aren't randomly firing at parking lots in the hopes that 1/10,000 shells will hit someone important, and the other 9999 will hit nothing of military value, but instead destroy random kindergartens and old ladies.

This doesn't make sense because a single artillery shell aimed at nothing in particular doesn't do anything but cause slight rubble on the ground and that's one less shell you have in your inventory.

If you want to damage infrastructure / hard targets, you need to fire a lot of shells to have the the intended effect on the target area.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Dec 8, 2022

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Saladman posted:

It was clearly not a random shot getting lucky.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

WaltherFeng posted:

This doesn't make sense because a single artillery shell aimed at nothing in particular doesn't do anything but cause slight rubble on the ground and that's one less shell you have in your inventory.

If you want to damage infrastructure / hard targets, you need to fire a lot of shells to have the the intended effect on the target area.

That doesn't stop the Russians from doing it, but yeah I agree. The Reddit theory that she was randomly hit doesn't seem so likely. I guess not impossible though, there certainly is a fair amount of seemingly-random shelling even from the Ukrainian side.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Kikas posted:

Car bomb keyed to her keyless entry fob or suicide bomb: someone in the reddit thread says the black-coated figure with her seem to be in an argument and disappears after the explosion, while presumably her body is thrown forward of the car.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Kikas posted:

I’m afraid that looked more like a panic attempt to hide from the increasingly loud sound of incoming fire, i.e., that one of the two people there simply unlocked the car with a remote key fob.

Tiny Timbs posted:

It was clearly not a random shot getting lucky.

This looks like a shot missing something close by, if you ask me. If Ukrainians were to actually go around murdering individual “DNR MPs” with artillery fire, one would’ve been able to write a wiki on them trying to “square the circle” on Pushilin or a few other particularly esteemed pieces of poo poo there.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Young Freud posted:

Car bomb keyed to her keyless entry fob or suicide bomb: someone in the reddit thread says the black-coated figure with her seem to be in an argument and disappears after the explosion, while presumably her body is thrown forward of the car.

Not sure if car bomb is practically able to leave here body where it was left on the video, to speak of.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
That attack is absolutely not a car bomb. Are you guys literally seeing impaired? The center of the explosion is nowhere near any car.

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1600814387400695808

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Not sure if car bomb is practically able to leave here body where it was left on the video, to speak of.

Would depend on the explosive used. My thought, given how it's believe to be a lucky artillery shot, could just be an improvised munition made from a mortar or artillery shell. Would help obscure the real cause.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Saladman posted:

Going around murdering MPs and low level civilian officials is not much if at all better than shelling a city to hopefully kill a few soldiers.

Each side is firing thousands of rounds a day. Saying that it couldn't possibly be a random shell that missed an intended target because each shell is individually too valuable is a pretty wild assumption!

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Young Freud posted:

Would depend on the explosive used. My thought, given how it's believe to be a lucky artillery shot, could just be an improvised munition made from a mortar or artillery shell. Would help obscure the real cause.

On Reddit someone is saying that it's an ordinary artillery shell but I have no idea how credible that assessment is. I agree it def doesn't look like a car bomb, and the people behave as if they're hearing incoming fire. Wouldn't artillery fire be a bigger boom though? Or would this be some airburst shrapnel thing? Or mortar?

Other Russian collaborators have been killed earlier but that's been partisan action e.g. in Kherson with car bombs or just dozens of bullets from an assault rifle through a car windshield. If this is actual artillery fire then that would be a pretty different category. I wonder how this lady would warrant an operation like that to take her out

e:

Electric Wrigglies posted:

Each side is firing thousands of rounds a day. Saying that it couldn't possibly be a random shell that missed an intended target because each shell is individually too valuable is a pretty wild assumption!

I don't think Ukraine has been shelling civilians in cities very much though. Or are they just now shelling Donetsk in general?

jaete fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Dec 8, 2022

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Charlz Guybon posted:

That attack is absolutely not a car bomb. Are you guys literally seeing impaired? The center of the explosion is nowhere near any car.
Looks like there's a crater at frame left after the smoke clears, so a car bomb seems unlikely.

If it was an artillery round that had been specifically meant for her, though, jesus christ. There is nowhere to hide from modern PGMs short of a bunker very deep underground.

To be fair...
Feb 3, 2006
Film Producer

downout posted:

Sometimes this thread feels like marketing agencies trying to outdo one another.

For Raytheon.

That video, jfc. Welcome to the cyberpunk future. Live feed assassinations :psyduck:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Ukraine has access to soviet-era laser-guided artillery shells, and manufactures their own, FWIW.

The big thing that has changed is that small drones can loiter long enough to lase a target.

Not that I'm convinced that this is more than a lucky hit, but the capability to hit a very precise target has existed for a while, it's the spotting that used to be much harder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
But why? Why here?

https://mobile.twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1600625494008991744