Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
"Ah boy, I'm just so tired of all these And/Or's."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

John Wick of Dogs posted:

What's wrong with that? It was a cute little callback.

Yea, its literally a call back to the film. I like the show, its fun, its light, its a fantasy adventure of the most classic type. It does have some weird stuff, like as said, the dialog being kind funky and goofy in a Buffy way is odd. Its clearly aimed at younger people with that, but some of the jokes land, like almost anything Boreman says, or the big in the last episode where Willow says everyone needs to stop fighting and get back in the wagon, and then lightning hits the wagon and he says no everyone keep fighting worked due to good delivery. Though Erin Kellerman and Flash Thompson feel like they're acting in a better show, Kit is not great, she's cute and I think she sells spoiled princess that doesn't think she's spoiled off on a real life and death adventure, but she feels like shes on a CW show with how she delivers her lines. I also like that Flash is not some hidden bad rear end, but just the smart one who's kind of a fuckup for the things that a prince is expected to do.

The best thing was the villains from the first 2 episodes, they could easily be in Warhammer Age of Sigmar, pretty cool.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I think people forget how much Willow is a kids movie.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
As someone who's watched Reservation Dogs only, this last page or so has been confusing

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

twistedmentat posted:

Kit is not great, she's cute and I think she sells spoiled princess that doesn't think she's spoiled off on a real life and death adventure, but she feels like shes on a CW show with how she delivers her lines.
Isn't that "snapper banter" similar to how Madmartigan talked?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Yes. And people just straight-up had American accents in the original too. It was anachronistic as hell.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, its literally a call back to the film. I like the show, its fun, its light, its a fantasy adventure of the most classic type. It does have some weird stuff, like as said, the dialog being kind funky and goofy in a Buffy way is odd. Its clearly aimed at younger people with that, but some of the jokes land, like almost anything Boreman says, or the big in the last episode where Willow says everyone needs to stop fighting and get back in the wagon, and then lightning hits the wagon and he says no everyone keep fighting worked due to good delivery. Though Erin Kellerman and Flash Thompson feel like they're acting in a better show, Kit is not great, she's cute and I think she sells spoiled princess that doesn't think she's spoiled off on a real life and death adventure, but she feels like shes on a CW show with how she delivers her lines. I also like that Flash is not some hidden bad rear end, but just the smart one who's kind of a fuckup for the things that a prince is expected to do.

The best thing was the villains from the first 2 episodes, they could easily be in Warhammer Age of Sigmar, pretty cool.

Yeah I think the clearly aimed for a younger audience thing hasn't bothered me maybe because I'm literally watching it with my kid. Of the characters Kit is definitely the most grating but not to a point where it has really bothered me.

The dialogue hasn't seemed all too modern to me so much as it isn't faux medieval. It's fairly modern but wouldn't sound that out of place thirty years ago or twenty years from now probably, I don't think it is super of "the now" or whatever.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

It's probably telling just how much this property can't get away from Tatooine that I've been dicking around trying to get around writer's block for my TTRPG scenarios by prompting AI to write adventure synopses and every single time I feed it something like "write a 3 act RPG adventure in the Star Wars universe" it looks at the training data set and dutifly spits out something that takes place on Tatooine.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

LividLiquid posted:

Yes. And people just straight-up had American accents in the original too. It was anachronistic as hell.

Are Commonwealth accents more inherently fantastical?

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Yes. (No, but its funny when people think it)

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
More Canadian accents in Fantasy and Sci fi.

Oh, geeze, that's some some big dragon, eh?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I mean Suu Lawquane has a pretty pronounced Quebec accent in Clone Wars.

And if you're counting anime science fiction and fantasy then the 90s are absolutely swamped with Canadian accents thank you Ocean Group.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

twistedmentat posted:

It would match all the alien planets we've seen in sci-fi for decades (suburban hiking trails of Vancouver).

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Arc Hammer posted:

I mean Suu Lawquane has a pretty pronounced Quebec accent in Clone Wars.

And if you're counting anime science fiction and fantasy then the 90s are absolutely swamped with Canadian accents thank you Ocean Group.

Yea that's what I was getting at, all those Toronto and Vancouver based voice actors.

Lobok posted:

It would match all the alien planets we've seen in sci-fi for decades (suburban hiking trails of Vancouver).

The Expanse and some others used part of Toronto too, like the homeless encampment where an actual one exists now.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Expanse also had Elias Toufexis. I never asked for this kind of representation I'm science fiction hut I won't say no.

And Gold Leader is Canadian.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's been mentioned a few times but the Going Rogue podcast has a shitload of detail about that kind of thing.

This is wonderfully done.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Does Luthen have a back story? I got the feeling we as viewers were supposed to recognise him when he first turns up on Ferrix but I haven't seen any of the other Star Wars tv shows. Why is part of/leading the Rebellion?

E: and how did he get his hands on a ship made of solid lightsabers?

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
I'm 99% certain he's never showed up in anything before

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I think his whole premise is that you're not supposed to have heard of him without ending up dead or fully committed to not acknowledging you know him.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Luthen's backstory is that he masquerades as the eccentric owner of an antique shop while secretly organising anti-Empire movements. His ship does not have lightsabers, it has laser beams.

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

2house2fly posted:

His ship does not have lightsabers, it has laser swords.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Chronojam posted:

I think his whole premise is that you're not supposed to have heard of him without ending up dead or fully committed to not acknowledging you know him.

He's so good at keeping his individual cells separate that he's pretty much doomed to die in obscurity. I don't think anybody except Kleia knows him well enough to put together how he's linked to all these different factions. Somebody will do a podcast on him in 57 ABY and it'll be dismissed as Twi'lek disinformation.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Rochallor posted:

He's so good at keeping his individual cells separate that he's pretty much doomed to die in obscurity. I don't think anybody except Kleia knows him well enough to put together how he's linked to all these different factions. Somebody will do a podcast on him in 57 ABY and it'll be dismissed as Twi'lek disinformation.

Twi'leks are known for spinning head tales.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Soundtrack for the final few episodes is out.

Loving this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0BTjWzYFEA

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm partial to the weird club mix song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YMFs7NPj7I

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

2house2fly posted:

Luthen's backstory is that he masquerades as the eccentric owner of an antique shop while secretly organising anti-Empire movements. His ship does not have lightsabers, it has laser beams.

Beam weapons, like on the LAAT.

twistedmentat posted:

Or Australian.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQ9r-Se9gbY

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Dec 9, 2022

sad question
May 30, 2020

Just finished watching Andor. Couple of observations:

- I can't help but feel slightly bad for Dedra because bug eyes will definitely try to parlay saving her into creepily hanging around. He's already a stalker and it will probably only get worse. Not even ISB people deserve that (they deserve to be humanely mussolini'ed).

- Pretty funny that Andor gets away with robbery and then gets immediately arrested for walking briskly to the store.

- I've read that there was supposed to be a swear word in the finale that was cut but no details about it. I know now it was supposed to be "gently caress the empire" but for some reason in my mind I thought Mon Mothma was going to call Palpatine a oval office in the senate and have to go into hiding because of it

- An interesting recurring thing in the show is watching people getting radicalized because of the injustices they see and experience to the point of being willing to die if they get to poke empire in the eye. Andy Serkis put in a great performance when his character got to the breaking point and turned from complacent to absolutely furious.

- Before the reveal I thought the things they made in the prisons were useless doodads that were shipped to the other prison where they worked on disassembling them. Just pointless busy work to keep them busy and tired.

- Regarding speculation what would happen post rebellion. I'd like to introduce the idea that Mon Mothma might sanction Operation Laserclip where people like torture doctor, death star scientists and maybe even some isb folk are given amnesty and quietly absorbed into new republic.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

hot take: "fight the empire" works better as a line and an incitement.

"gently caress the empire" would have been so crass by star war standards as to be distracting and this take away from the flow and ultimate impact of the monologue and the scene. also as a call to action it's more diffuse. like yeah, gently caress America, gently caress the dmv, gently caress amazon dot com... none of that conveys anything more than a vague sentiment.

if it was studio interference this is the one time I'd go to bat for studio bowlderization making for a better product.

well that and red hot chili peppers performing what I'd like is I'd like to hug and kiss you for krusty

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Giving the swear word to Mosk worked better because Alex Ferns makes that "poo poo" land.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

They did let the Narkinians say "Scob the empire" and that's an instant top teir made up genre show curse word.

Good hard consonant sounds, one sylable, feels like you're spitting it out.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Dec 9, 2022

sad question
May 30, 2020

"poo poo" felt natural given situation and I only realized afterwards that it's not something they said in SW before.

If they want to use "gently caress" they should wait for like final season to deploy it for maximum effect. Or alternatively have Syril and Mosk recreate McNulty and Bunk's "gently caress" crime scene investigation from The Wire

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

sad question posted:

"poo poo" felt natural given situation and I only realized afterwards that it's not something they said in SW before.

If they want to use "gently caress" they should wait for like final season to deploy it for maximum effect. Or alternatively have Syril and Mosk recreate McNulty and Bunk's "gently caress" crime scene investigation from The Wire

Oh come on they're clearly Carver and Herc

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

When they started saying gently caress in Star Trek it just didn't fit. I swear like a sailor, too much probably, and it felt off even to me.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

zoux posted:

When they started saying gently caress in Star Trek it just didn't fit. I swear like a sailor, too much probably, and it felt off even to me.

The funny thing is they pretty much do a straight commentary on why all the way back in the 80s in STIV (the whale one.) 20th century vulgarity is out of fashion in the 23rd century. Kirk does it to fit in while they're in the past and kind of sucks at it. Spock does it and sucks even worse, to the point where Kirk tells him to stop trying.

Then they try to be "look at us we're big boy streaming TV we can do swears" and lo and behold it comes across just as stilted and cringe as Spock saying "They're not the Hell your whales," only without the self-awareness.

sad question
May 30, 2020

If you're talking about Picard then everything was off in that show

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

sad question posted:

yeah, including my TV!

:stat: :wal:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I don't mind swearing in Star Trek at all.

I do, however, think the way they've done it often feels like a ten-year-old cursing, then looking around to see who's going to punish them and then looking self-satisfied when everybody's just enjoying their patio drinks to do anything about it.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I’m mildly disappointed that the funeral band song on the soundtrack doesn’t include the Time Grappler banging away in the distance.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

sad question posted:

Discovery, but also there yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010
They almost certainly wouldn't have had Fiona Shaw on set to read the speech for the crowd. gently caress the Empire was probably something they did on set to rile the extras up, and never intended to be the final line.