Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Fake Name posted:

I accepted the petition and it disappeared... To be on the safe side I shall plan a floor of temples, that should appease the gods and deliver the Fort safely from were-beasts.

Anyway the game owns and I'm amazed at how effective the mouse controls are after not playing in years. Thank you SA posters for the ancient LPs which got me into it!
Yeah, I address dwarf religiosity by making a chapel real early on (which is easy since it's just an empty room) and then later you can just knock out a bunch of rooms. Make sure you got stone walls on 'em, and make them maybe five or six by seven to nine, though; you may have to stuff gold or silver furniture into them to hit the value mark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Decrepus posted:

Is there a way to check who my fort's neighbors are? I'm afraid I was too focused on avoiding an aquifer that I didn't start with gobbos or elves or humans nearby :ohdear:

You can click on the little map in the bottom right corner to take you to the world map screen. When you hit "center on fort" and then "civilizations", your fort will be highlighted with a yellow square; good luck seeing it. Human/elf towns that are friendly are in green I think, dwarven ones in blue (perhaps from your civ?), and goblins are a hard-to-see gray. I think red squares means there's a war on.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Appoda posted:

So is there a FAQ for new DF yet? I haven't been following since release, and googling things like "how do I hide the smoothing/engraving overlay" is a bit difficult with 15+ years of similar questions floating around for previous versions of the game.

In case you missed it, the Workshop had a mod to lower the opacity of the smoothing/engraving designations

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

maybe put this up as a steam workshop mod?

This was a great idea, however it appears that the workshop only supports object and graphical mods- I can't see a way to modify anything in the init folder :(
Granted, I've never made a workshop item before so perhaps there's something I'm missing.

I have made my modified announcements.txt file available as a onedrive download for simplicity's sake.
Navigate to install dir>data>init, rename your old file and simply drop this one into place.
Now your game will pause, recenter, AND give you a popup box for the following events:

Migrants
Ambushes
Skulking Thieves
Snatchers
Caravans
Caravans Need Depot
Caravans Bypass Site
Noble arrivals
Diplomats
Liaisons
Cave Collapse
Citizen Births
Strange Moods
Strange Mood Building Claiming
Artifact Creation
Artifact Naming
Megabeast Arrival
Werebeast Arrival
Citizen Death
Ghost Attack
Undead Attack
Strange Cloud
Trained Animal Reverts to Wild
Noble Position Succession
Citizen Lost to Stress
Citizen Tantrum
Citizen Snatched
Election Results
New Demand
New Mandate
Possessed Tantrum
Deity Curse
Crime Witnesses
"End Game Events"

I'm going to go edit the link into my original post, so mods if you're planning on using it for a page 1 entry just keep an eye out for that.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Where's the screen to check your trade agreements? The civilization button on the map doesn't seem to do it.

Similarly, how do you stockpile sand? Can't find it in any of the settings.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

as for why we need individual stair designs

the UI can still commit treason related to half canceling the pairings

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

A pending story. How do I select lever or a door behind a dwarf in the same tile? I may be flooding my tutorial fort after I failed to setup a multi flood gate channel.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Is there some kind of timer or AI director that brings attacks to forts or do you need to be near goblins/ just piss of humans and elves when they visit?

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Pierson posted:

Is there some kind of timer or AI director that brings attacks to forts or do you need to be near goblins/ just piss of humans and elves when they visit?

Its based on wealth and proximity for goblins. Humans and elves you need a diplomatic incident with.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Will post my own story for a tag soon, but surprised there haven't been quite as many forgotten beast sightings and postings yet. Show off your hideous amalgamations of flesh, iron and mucus!

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Does FPS essentially control game speed? What speed do most people play at?

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

thunderspanks posted:

This was a great idea, however it appears that the workshop only supports object and graphical mods- I can't see a way to modify anything in the init folder :(

Quoting to find this later

Edit: aw, no gang tag? Guess I need a better story than my repeated failure to dip into this game

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Monathin posted:

Did you remember to set it so the kitchen doesn't cook off plump helmets and thus give you no seeds back?

How do you do that in this version? I was trying earlier but couldn't find the menu

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Have any of the old utilities been updated yet? Specifically looking for an update of quick fort and the thing that lets you see all the un-dug terrain.

get used to waiting for the memory hacking tools to catch up, it'll be a bit

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

titty_baby_ posted:

How do you do that in this version? I was trying earlier but couldn't find the menu

it's in the standing orders tabs in I believe the labor menu

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I'm glad that Kitfox maintained the DF tradition of the military menu being a giant pain in the rear end. They even kept the part where it's easy to accidentally delete a squad.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

CuddleCryptid posted:

I'm glad that Kitfox maintained the DF tradition of the military menu being a giant pain in the rear end. They even kept the part where it's easy to accidentally delete a squad.

the only thing they didn't keep was the ability to assign ammo to your marksdwarves :rolleyes:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I wish I could hit a button to swap between classic and modern graphics modes. In some ways the old matrix style was "clearer" once you learned it.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

thunderspanks posted:

the only thing they didn't keep was the ability to assign ammo to your marksdwarves :rolleyes:

I think this also causes marksdwarves unable to use archery ranges, I've built a few and no-one is using them. They use their bows on hostiles but don't seem to train on the archery range, I've assigned it to their squad, don't know if there's anything else I'm missing.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

You just need to use the classic power training motivation, tying up a gator or something to be the target

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

I wish I could hit a button to swap between classic and modern graphics modes. In some ways the old matrix style was "clearer" once you learned it.

yeah, sometimes im a z level above the thing im trying to designate because i didnt notice the atmospheric perspective made those blocks lighter or whatever. plus the old graphicis were amazing in their own way. would love ot toggle between em on the fly. and hear that old song again. but the new music is killer so i aint fussin

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

My ape brain needs to reconfigure how the scroll wheel works because I keep trying to scroll up to go down (because they're dwarves, they *advance* downwards) and getting lost. I could stop being an idiot but that isn't going to happen anytime soon.

Captainicus posted:

I think this also causes marksdwarves unable to use archery ranges, I've built a few and no-one is using them. They use their bows on hostiles but don't seem to train on the archery range, I've assigned it to their squad, don't know if there's anything else I'm missing.

For what it's worth it took my dwarves a really long time to start using the barracks that were assigned to them. I don't know if it was due to the month not turning over or if they had to have all the weapons made and delivered before they would train but they spent a long time doing gently caress all til they decided to start doing the training they were scheduled for.

Perhaps if you put ammo storage in the archery range itself?

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

yeah the graphics are pretty but when youre zoomed out theres a lot of noise going on. plus the ascii-on-black is comforting in letting you visualize things, but, im probably insane after playing df for too long

swinging back into the game tho im sort of remembering the stuff that annoyed me most, mainly, that id love to be able to make production a bit more in depth and overall difficult, and to make all the cool minecart things actually have a point by just not letting dwarfs haul boulders around at all, and to make it so dwarfs maybe have to eat more than one mushroom a year, but you cant actually mod any of that stuff at all. oh well. it always feels goofy to just build an entire fortress in five years and to have it cap out on population solely from migration, but, you also cant do much to mod the time scale stuff either. but if you wanted to have all your guys made of literal golden eggshells you can do that.

its not the end of the world but it always felt like a lot of the gameplay numbers were just sort of done on a first pass and never really looked at again and i wish i could gently caress around with them myself.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

CuddleCryptid posted:

My ape brain needs to reconfigure how the scroll wheel works because I keep trying to scroll up to go down (because they're dwarves, they *advance* downwards) and getting lost. I could stop being an idiot but that isn't going to happen anytime soon.

For what it's worth it took my dwarves a really long time to start using the barracks that were assigned to them. I don't know if it was due to the month not turning over or if they had to have all the weapons made and delivered before they would train but they spent a long time doing gently caress all til they decided to start doing the training they were scheduled for.

Perhaps if you put ammo storage in the archery range itself?

That's not a bad idea, I'll try put an ammo stockpile in there next time I'm fortressing

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

so my fortress just had massive death spiral
im down to 6 werehorse grim hunter dorfs now.
that are also hostile to each others when they turn into undead werehorses.
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/715649491893485588/1050430933431500832/Dwarf_Fortress_2022-12-08_16-51-45.mp4

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lkuxkt9z565gy6c/AABWsl9E8gAWEQd2CGJmHQSua?dl=0 incase anyone wants the save file for really challenging succession fort start
:iit:

Dark Off fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Dec 8, 2022

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
A gang tag would be much appreciated if they are still available.

In case anyone was wondering, this release of Dwarf Fortress plays wonderfully on the Steam Deck. In a few days I'm totally going to be playing DF at 35 thousand feet.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Dramicus posted:

A gang tag would be much appreciated if they are still available.

In case anyone was wondering, this release of Dwarf Fortress plays wonderfully on the Steam Deck. In a few days I'm totally going to be playing DF at 35 thousand feet.

drat I need myself a deck. Good to hear and maybe I can pester my deck owning buddy to discover how fun losing is.

Also I'd also like to beg for that sweet, sweet gang tag.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
So installing a grate doesn't actually make a hole in the z-layer huh? That's my first fort lost to bad attempts at irrigation/power.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Barrel Cactaur posted:

Also the inability to construct stair components interacts badly with aquifers. If your designation gets cancelled and you start from the tile below your down stairs it doesn't build an up stair and you now can't easily fix it. I would get shoving it in an advanced design menu but removing it is like removing knives because of the automatic bread slicer.
Yeah, the stairs thing is actually extremely annoying for me. I had to dig upwards through a two layer aquifer to set up farm space and sand/clay gathering sites that had an access-way I wasn't trapping the hell out of, and this made a whole bunch of poo poo go wrong, including at one point the dwarves just gave up and instead knocked out the floor? I really have no idea what the actual gently caress they were doing there. I had to manually construct stairs from blocks from below and through.

I've been playing this pretty much entirely blind, and the last time I seriously played fortress mode was in 2013 or so I think. It has been interesting learning how to wrestle the new interface to do what I want it to do. In some ways it has been incredibly frustrating, while in others it has been refreshing. Deconstructing constructions, for instance, was annoying as hell to find. On the other hand, the ability to continue to place poo poo was refreshing.

Also, simply smoothing walls wasn't working for stopping the leaks of my two layer aquifer, so I had to knock out the natural walls and create block walls for two floors, which actually worked. I also managed to accidentally knock out the ramp leading to the surface in the process and it took a game day for me to fix once I noticed (Which was pretty quick, since all the blocks were on the surface at that point). That being said, breaching a light aquifer from the surface is stupidly easy now compared to when I previously played. You can all but ignore the water while you work, especially if you are doing it like I did and making a seven floor ramp to a depot in nice comfortable stone. There comes a point where the amount of water generated tends to just spread out into 1 deep puddles that dry up and it hits an equilibrium.

I know it makes it easier for people but I cannot help but think something has been lost from the experience of having to either fight tooth and nail to pump out a hole (Aka the stupid way) or engage in a minor engineering project to collapse a large chunk of non-aquifer into the aquifer layer to safely tunnel through (The smart way). I guess those still exist as Heavy Aquifers now.

I tweaked the invasion circumstances in the embark screen to try and prevent anything from going to poo poo while I was re-learning the ropes. Hopefully that all works out and I am not utterly destroyed by a lycanthrope like everyone else here. I don't want to be accused of being unoriginal or simply following the herd like some kind of weresheep.

authwiggidywack
Oct 29, 2013

If the DF gang tag is still available I would appreciate one, small story:

First non-tutorial fort fell last night to a murder of "Agitated Giant Crows" - I have never really wrapped my head around the military system, so i was sort of throwing dwarves at the crows hoping they could handle them. It didn't work great at all.

They seemed to prefer flying high above, they would come down and attack my livestock (which they would panic and bolt). My dwarves would run out to get them back into the pen, but when they were isolated on the map they were attacked as well. What really impressed me is they appeared to avoid the armoured dwarves I had sent out.

Eventually the loss of multiple babies and adults caused a spiral - very excited to start a new fort tonight!

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Captainicus posted:

It took a little fiddling around but what worked for me was this:

I created a barracks, and directly adjacent to said barracks were multiple archery ranges, dug into the sidewall with a wall between them. All archery range zones directly touched the barracks zone. Marksdwarves were set to train at the ranges and the barracks. Ammo was stockpiled in the barracks. Within a few days, all the archery ranges were being used. I had gone 2 months with 0 use having only the ranges assigned.

No promises but it worked for me.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

FrickenMoron posted:

Some more questions from relearning the game:

- Whats the prerequisites to catching live / small animals?
- Why are the bones from corpse piles not being used for making stuff?
- Can you somehow inspect stuff on a tile? if its a creature or item you can check it but sometimes there are small critters and other things you cant click and get info about.

Selfquoting since I'm still not sure about any of this.

Also in addition to that, what's the method to deal with wereanimals attacking?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Man, the birdemic attacks are a loving trip. How long was Tarn coding that poo poo?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Should I be worried?

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

FrickenMoron posted:

Selfquoting since I'm still not sure about any of this.

Also in addition to that, what's the method to deal with wereanimals attacking?

Try to kill it with ranged weapons and traps, and quarantine any dwarves it touched. Be ready to kill your quarantined dwarves if/when they turn, again with, ideally, ranged weapons and traps.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

VictualSquid posted:

Should I be worried?

Man, this dwarf rules. A rusty surgeon, meditating on torture after drinking his loneliness away

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Ore and bar quantum stockpiles are a go, dropped in by minecart from mining floors above. No smelters or smiths have taken a hunk to the head yet, but maybe I should give them helmets?

Yes, it's probably silly to have the bars hauled up a floor to get dropped into the pile, but so be it.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Uh, I think the goblin civilizations got wiped out before my game started

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Super excited that they are going to look into getting this on GeForce now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Danaru posted:

Uh, I think the goblin civilizations got wiped out before my game started
Extremely unlikely without a necromancer apocalypse. More likely they just aren't nearby enough to count as a neighbour, which on the embark screen is about three days travel.