Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

And they can still add a DH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I thought the Astros slightly overpaid for Abreu but holy crap it looks like a steal now. What an insane off-season so far!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

mcmagic posted:

The Yankees lost SEVEN!!!!!!!!!!!! players in the rule 5 lol

Where do you get this from? I'm seeing two guys. Wilking Rodriguez to the Cards and Zach Greene to the Mets. Am I missing something or are you once again inflating poo poo to do your nasty schtick about everyone is terrible at their jobs?

Also losing players in the Rule 5 doesn't seem like some huge condemnation of an organization? Like if you think there's someone on the 40 man who is dead weight and of more value than one of these guys ok. Obviously you do because you think everyone in the world is dead weight. But again, its the Rule 5 draft. Like a fraction of baseball fans even know what it is and only a handful of players ever really stick with their new clubs. And hey, turns out if teams want your minor league guys maybe you're not as dogshit at talent development as some people say? Who knows?

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

STAC Goat posted:

Where do you get this from? I'm seeing two guys. Wilking Rodriguez to the Cards and Zach Greene to the Mets. Am I missing something or are you once again inflating poo poo to do your nasty schtick about everyone is terrible at their jobs?

mcmagic is probably including the six the Yankees lost in the minor league segment of the Rule 5 which is not a big deal at all

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Dinosaurs! posted:

Where are the Pirates? Thought they’d be top 3
Pirates are still above 500 despite their last 30 years: https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/PIT/index.shtml

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Altuve
Bregman
Alvarez
J Abreu

Has to be close if not better. Alvarez is the best hitter of all 8, and Tatis is coming back off rehab and pissing hot. And if you went to 5 you're getting Kyle Tucker who is easily better than every hitter after the cleanup spot in the dads lineup.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
beating another team by 120 million is kind of insane but imagine being Bogaerts and hearing that

"well you can stay in boston, 6/160"

"Oh wow that sounds great let's- "

"no no, no, hear me out though you got another offer...."

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
If you enjoy rage

https://twitter.com/MattMcCarthy985/status/1600768635949445120?s=20&t=4BtVPnaakDW3cKOJyMurzg

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
The thing with Story is he can't play SS anymore, so it isn't an apples to apples comparison.

That is a wild contract for Bogearts, way more years than I expected. I wonder if they will try to get rid of Tatis now, see if he can rebuild some value first, or just hold onto him

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Nodoze posted:

The thing with Story is he can't play SS anymore, so it isn't an apples to apples comparison.

That is a wild contract for Bogearts, way more years than I expected. I wonder if they will try to get rid of Tatis now, see if he can rebuild some value first, or just hold onto him

The big issue had always been that the Red Sox could have been proactive a year ago and got him signed for way less. They didn’t want to because they didn’t want him and then panicked at the last second and kind of sort of tried.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

When did mega-contracts go from like 5 years to a decade?

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Peggy Edson posted:

A-Rod?

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

Dinosaurs! posted:

The Pirates are actually still above .500 as a franchise, as a consequence of having been a perfectly respectable team for the majority of their existence. Then Bonds left.

They’ll probably drop below within the next few years though.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

I guess? But that seems like it was an outlier back then.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Xander :smith:

I'll say it again, the problem isn't that Red Sox ownership won't spend money, it's that they don't believe in contracts greater than seven years.

I mean if it had been me I'd have offered him something like 8/200, and also would've said so long if he returned with that 11/280, but it still sucks to see him leave, especially after the Mookie brouhaha.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The big issue had always been that the Red Sox could have been proactive a year ago and got him signed for way less. They didn’t want to because they didn’t want him and then panicked at the last second and kind of sort of tried.

They also offered him an insultingly low deal as an extension

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Peggy Edson posted:

luxury tax avoidance I guess, so whenever that was put in place.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ihatepants posted:

mcmagic is probably including the six the Yankees lost in the minor league segment of the Rule 5 which is not a big deal at all

The fact that they only lost two guys in the MLB portion of the draft is surprising, honestly. And I dunno if I even want to really count Rodriguez here because he's a 32-year-old post-indy-ball reclamation type of dude who hasn't pitched in affiliated ball since 2015.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Dinosaurs! posted:

I know it's hard to believe due to the recent 30 years of complete ineptitude, but the Pirates have been around since the 1880s and were perennial contenders for much of their history. We've got 5 World Series titles!!!

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

howe_sam posted:

Xander :smith:

I'll say it again, the problem isn't that Red Sox ownership won't spend money, it's that they don't believe in contracts greater than seven years.

I mean if it had been me I'd have offered him something like 8/200, and also would've said so long if he returned with that 11/280, but it still sucks to see him leave, especially after the Mookie brouhaha.

This is exactly where I’m at. I was 100% on board to overpay Xander because I love the guy but 11 years is too much. I hope he kills it in SD :smith:

Also the story/Xander comparison people keep trying to make is completely forced. Nobody cares about the AAV, the deal is almost twice as long which I think matters quite a bit??

Nodoze posted:

They also offered him an insultingly low deal as an extension

This is the part that actually upsets me, though. What a limp dick move, learned absolutely nothing from giving Jon lester the finger.

NiceGuy fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Dec 8, 2022

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Padres are going to be the worst team in baseball in 5 years.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Somebody on SoSH posted Xander's numbers against the NL West and outside of Colorado they are...not good, though admittedly the sample size is so small as to be insignificant.

SDP (27 PA) .200 / .407 / .250
SFG (13 PA) .154 / .154 / .154
LAD (18 PA) .294 / .278 / .294
COL (11 PA) .556 / .636 / 1.778
ARI (13 PA) .182/ .308 / .182
NL West (82 PA): .257 / .354 / .429

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I love cheering for San Diego, because I like when teams just say "gently caress it", and try their hardest at building a roster with money. It's why I have never disliked the Dodgers.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Twin Cinema posted:

I love cheering for San Diego, because I like when teams just say "gently caress it", and try their hardest at building a roster with money. It's why I have never disliked the Dodgers.

The dodgers who have let two all-star shortstops walk in consecutive years?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

And they cannot spend on the best SS FA in the market because their fans will get too mad about it lol. Welcome to LA Dansby Swanson.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Nodoze posted:

I wonder if they will try to get rid of Tatis now, see if he can rebuild some value first, or just hold onto him
Ignoring that he's got a full no trade until 2029, I'm not sure why they would? He doesn't pass $20m until 2027 (his age 28 season) and, short of the rest of baseball getting as naked about collusion as Hal and Steve, seems it seems unlikely that $36m in your mid 30s is going be albatrossian by the time 2030 rolls around. Even coming off of pissing hot, I would imagine a Tatis trade making Soto's look like bargain hunting... it's tough to fathom where that would begin.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

howe_sam posted:

The dodgers who have let two all-star shortstops walk in consecutive years?
don’t forget they let Machado walk after 2018 too

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

zoux posted:

And they cannot spend on the best SS FA in the market because their fans will get too mad about it lol. Welcome to LA Dansby Swanson.
the blog commentariat seems to think that might have been a trial balloon and some seem to be hoping for Correa still

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I mean, there are like two options left and three or four teams looking for shortstops. I dunno if you guys have some prospects stashed but I guarantee everyone will get over it after his first season

e: SS is Lux's natural position right?

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Dec 8, 2022

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Paracaidas posted:

I wouldn't be surprised to see something like Kim and a couple pitching prospects (or Morejon) for Kepler and Arraez.

can Kim play shortstop because I sure as hell don't want Polanco moving there

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
It feels more likely that LA would go after Correa and everyone would realize winning is the best balm rather than Boston reacting to losing Xander by signing an even bigger deal with the marquee free agent SS.

IcePhoenix posted:

Kim may actually be the best defensive shortstop in San Diego right now.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

IcePhoenix posted:

6th best SS in baseball by UZR and DRS, 8th by OAA, with a 105 wRC+

Makes $7m this season (his age 27 season), $8m next year, and has a similar mutual option that he'll almost certainly decline after next year. When I first pitched that, I thought we'd be getting back 3 years of team control and not two, but I'm not sure how much that changes my opinion

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
These long deals showing up at the same time have me thinking ownership knows a lot more about post RSN revenue than the rest of us do. I mean that’s obvious but they gotta be pretty confident that the money is going to be even better if they’re going to 11 years on shortstops not named Alex.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

zoux posted:

I mean, there are like two options left and three or four teams looking for shortstops. I dunno if you guys have some prospects stashed but I guarantee everyone will get over it after his first season

e: SS is Lux's natural position right?
No, Lux to SS is considered a less than ideal solution. It'd be like Seager's defense without as reliable a bat.

IcePhoenix posted:

Kim was famously a solid SS for SD in Tatis' absence

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Well Played Mauer posted:

These long deals showing up at the same time have me thinking ownership knows a lot more about post RSN revenue than the rest of us do. I mean that’s obvious but they gotta be pretty confident that the money is going to be even better if they’re going to 11 years on shortstops not named Alex.

It also lets them pay players a lot of money but keep the AAV lower for luxury tax purposes

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
I feel like the Sox are far more likely to take a look at Dansby than Correa, especially if they can land him for around then price of what they offered bogaerts. Then again i think the market has skewed so much in the past week that even swanson’s price might be prohibitive. Starting shortstop for the Red Sox Christian arroyo come on down!!!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nodoze posted:

It also lets them pay players a lot of money but keep the AAV lower for luxury tax purposes

And it will allow them to pay 39 year old middle infielders with a OPS+ of 70 a third of their payroll in the late 2020s

The Angels have taught us all these lessons - splashing on big names, signing aging stars to long term contracts - and the league just refuses to learn from their suffering.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

zoux posted:

And it will allow them to pay 39 year old middle infielders with a OPS+ of 70 a third of their payroll in the late 2020s

Everyone knows the back end of huge deals are whatever, it's just the cost of doing business. None of these teams are hurting for money

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

zoux posted:

The Angels have taught us all these lessons - splashing on big names, signing aging stars to long term contracts - and the league just refuses to learn from their suffering.
It wont be a third of their payroll by then at the rate revenues have been growing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

The Angels also keep losing because they keep throwing money at bats and don't have a pitching staff other than Ohtani