Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh that's also just a thin facade for the real use case; Micro-managing remote workers. No, really. The whole use case for VR headsets in the "office" is so Managers can cope with stupid peons enjoying a work/life balance by working from home now by getting remote workers back under their manager's thumb where they can be seen and "expected" to be working constantly, with their manager able to virtually look over their shoulder constantly like at the office. Or at their open windows remotely at any time. Sitting in a VR meeting with everyone just lets you watch them all at the same time and feel like you're managing them.

On a $1,500USD headset per person. In a coming recession. On a device that no sane company would permit to hold secure data, or be let inside a development lap because of the way its tracking system models the observed playspace with its cameras.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cg7tFZy_QA

I heartily invite you to watch the Meta Connect 2022 event, because holy poo poo is it sad and yet immensely entertaining for how bad it is. There's a lot of Kickstarter pitch energy (from the kind you can tell is probably gonna not make goal), and the best highlight is the way the lie to the audience in various ways. The legs showcase is staged animation, and the whole "Woah, did you know legs add to IMMERSION?? What a new concept, I Mark Zuckerberg, am pioneering a solution for!" comes about 40 minutes after name-dropping VRChat.

Also while there's some legitimately interesting new tech at the end, you can clearly see Mark co-opting someone else's work as his own.
Like what kind of Kickstarter? The bipolar hubris video game one? Or like a schizophrenic "going to replace binary with base 4 computing" one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

what if, instead of GeoHotz' stupid idea for a google killer, someone produced a search engine better than that

phew, had the idea, that's like 95% of the work, someone please do the rest and e-mail me your work and i'll see if i can slot you in an internship somewhere

Google but better? It's genius! You musked the crap out of this! Quick, fire the engineers and get me Hotz

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
everyone who is interested in what posters did or did not say about this putz can go back to page 306-310 and read for themselves

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

repiv posted:

it feels like search engines in general are doomed now that these giant AI language models are proliferating and can churn out mountains of plausible sounding SEO garbage with minimal effort

oh for sure the situation is fubar'd. the new idea is using AI like chatGPT to wade through all the trash generated by other AI

unironically the best you can do now to get any reliable information from someone who is ~human is use google but add "reddit" to your query

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I would rather die.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

Elon musk the type of guy who bought those green markers that “make CDs sound better”

Those really work

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lammasu posted:

Like what kind of Kickstarter? The bipolar hubris video game one? Or like a schizophrenic "going to replace binary with base 4 computing" one?

Student developers pitching their big dream to investors and clearly having nothing beyond bullshot prerenders and promises they've started but think what they're working on will be real cool when they get money to make it happen.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

My favorite thing about that Hotz guy is thinking search can be improved by Javascript

like, there is front-end and back-end. Javascript is front-end. All the search machinery and intelligence and data is in the back-end. Front-end is just the user interface.

"Improving search" by tweaking Javascript is about equivalent to making your car go faster by painting stripes on it

Someone who knows a little bit about web development would understand that what he was proposing was nonsense that would make him look like an absolute fool if he tweeted about it publicly. For that to seem like a good idea he would have to know literally nothing about the domain

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

goatface posted:

That means Sony did a good job. Hire the guy who designed that security.

Uhh yeah. About that good job.

quote:

So how did Fail0verflow get the keys so quickly? Well, in creating the encrypted files, an important element of the mathematical formula is the use of a random number. The PS3 encryption scheme uses just a single random number that never varies between each signed file, while the proper way of carrying out the signing process is to use a different random number every time a file is signed. Armed with just two signatures, it is possible to mathematically reconstruct the encryption key thanks to this constant variable. In theory, it's as simple as that. In practice, some simple equation work is required.

There are many different keys used by Sony – keys for game code, firmware components, and the isolated SPU decryption system, for example. All of them have been encrypted with the same random number faux pas, meaning that all of them can be reversed. In a stroke, hackers now have the exact same privilege level for running code as Sony itself, and this encompasses all file-types the console uses.

When this news broke ~7 years ago the common reaction was "no that's too stupid, you've got to be explaining it wrong", and yet here we are. Some genius decided to use one static "random number" to encrypt literally all of the PS3's signed files.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
News only broke 7 years ago, was sufficient for years without modification, obviously genius. Hire them to code the payment processing security.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

The Awesomesaurus posted:

https://twitter.com/realGeorgeHotz/status/1599970004593946625

Having a good one.

Also his profile picture really pisses me off and I don’t know why.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebbh-BF7V5E

I just imagine this guy is neurotic canadian comedian Jeffery Hotz every time and I giggle

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Gonna miss stuff like this. It's just so pure and perfect.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost
Imagine all your traffic problems solved. This week I proposed a definitive solution to all traffic woes by submitting a draft of a proposal to begin development of flying cars. It should be prototyped by this Saturday and on the market by Monday because I already figured out the tough stuff just like when I came up with a way to jail-break my Tickle-Me-Elmo while still at the tender age of 19.

Big auto has been wrong for decades, and will be bankrupt when we introduce the brand new Tesla TIE-Flighter, early next week at the latest.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

bird with big dick posted:

Those really work

Just like shaving the edge of your CDs and demagnetizing them. Audiophiles are real geniuses.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Data Graham posted:

Yes I too want all my web searches to be published openly as tweets so they are forever in my history and people can reply to them.

Entire Twitter feeds would just be devs that forgot SQL update syntax

A farting mink
Nov 6, 2022

by Pragmatica

Someone should probably tell George there that the idea of getting ratified, as in putting a rat next to your name was invented by a Trans-Woman.
She's very funny and paints great warhams figures but I doubt he'd like her much.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

A farting mink posted:

Someone should probably tell George there that the idea of getting ratified, as in putting a rat next to your name was invented by a Trans-Woman.
She's very funny and paints great warhams figures but I doubt he'd like her much.

Why bother? We all know the canned response. "Something something don't hate trans people just trans :airquote:ideology:airquote: something something." Followed by a tidal wave of calls for violence against LGBTQ folks in the replies.

Accubitus
Nov 7, 2020

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

OK, some thoughts.

This is what we'd call an "interesting problem", and as everyone who's done research or computer science knows, that's a synonym for a "pretty difficult thing". You're kind of at the intersection of several different things. Obviously first of all you'll need a good search engine to be able to find data in the first place, and that's famously not super easy. Then, you'll need to do a bunch of natural language processing, because you're not just returning hits that seem to be related to the topic at hand, you need to process the data to form some kind of consensus about the results, and turn it into what sounds like real replies.

Neither of these things are impossible. People have done them, and people are doing them. But your guy started this job by literally saying "hey can anyone do this thing for me? I'll try to get you hired as an intern if you can" and then "hey can anyone give me any research related to this topic" which are both big red flags. They kinda imply that he doesn't have a lot of domain knowledge, nor has he done any research by himself because he's asking people for relevant papers. So you're kinda starting at a pretty big disadvantage here.

But then we get to the truly nutty part: he wants to beat Google. This whole thing started with a "what would it take to get you to use Twitter's search instead of Google's", and Google are kind of the kings of this kind of stuff. They literally built their company on this poo poo. Hell, they already offer a very similar product: if you ask Google's Voice Assistant a question, it tries to answer in a natural way. If you ask "hey Google, what is Little Big Horn famous for", it will say something like "Little Big Horn was the location of a large battle during the Great Sioux War and is known for Custer's Last Stand".

So in essence we have a guy going "hey I'm a 95 pound nerd and I wanna beat 1986 era Mike Tyson at boxing... does anyone have a link to a research paper that explains what boxing is?"

It's extremely dumb.

E: and also lol at the whole "hey if anyone can do this thing I'll try to get you an internship". As with most "pretty difficult things" in computer science, if you're a person who can do the thing well, you probably already have a high paying job somewhere and might not be champing at the bit to jump on Captain Apartheid's Wild Ride.

This is all correct, but I don't understand what GeoHotz is even saying with this idea. What does posting a tweet have to do with search? Please someone explain the UX flow here because I'm not getting it.
Like you post a tweet that's a question, and then you search that question, and it gives you the replies to the tweet? Why is posting the question necessary for searching the question?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Think how high the posts per day will go! So much valuable content on our microblogging platform. So many more targeted ads that can be sold.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Tiny Timbs posted:

yeah you have to scroll past an entire page of sponsored listings to get to the actual search results sometimes

maybe time for me to switch to something else? what do people even use? when I tried Bing for a few months I ended up just re-searching everything in Google anyway

An entire page? Haha not anymore, since they've added the worst feature ever invented to desktop search: infinite scroll

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
I'm curious about the green markers that make music better

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Elon should buy Google.

Then when I'm searching hot babes near me I can have neo Nazis projecting their values onto my brain via java ads flooding the screen

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

I don't know if ChatGPT is conisered poor form, but I'm a bit obsessed with it. I asked it:

code:
In the style of lyrics of a song by Led Zeppelin, describe the scene at Twitter HQ when Elon Musk fired 80% of the workforce. Make sure to portray Elon Musk in an extremely negative light.
It's reply:

code:
Verse 1:
As the clock struck noon, at Twitter HQ
Elon Musk strutted in, a sneer on his face
He looked around, at all the employees
With a flick of his wrist, he fired eighty percent of the place

Chorus:
Elon Musk, what a heartless man
Killing careers with a single command
No empathy, no remorse
Just a cold, calculating force

Verse 2:
The workers were shocked, some even cried
As they gathered their things, they couldn't believe their eyes
But Elon Musk just stood there, a smug smile on his face
He watched them go, without a trace of grace

Chorus:
No empathy, no remorse
Just a cold, calculating force

Bridge:
He thinks he's a king, with his money and power
But he's just a cruel, ruthless coward
His actions speak louder than his words
And they show the world what he's really worth

Chorus:
No empathy, no remorse
Just a cold, calculating force.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Plant MONSTER. posted:

I'm curious about the green markers that make music better

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/bewaring-of-the-green

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Olewithmilk posted:

I don't know if ChatGPT is conisered poor form, but I'm a bit obsessed with it. I asked it:

Chat doesn't seem to understand writing a parody. I asked for all star parody about a normal guy in a generic city, and while it was on theme it didn't line up with anything in the song All Star other than having a line a man with a swear on his forehead. I got the idea this guy had a swastika on his head. It had a narrative but no rhyme structure.

It does maintain rhyme structures though if you ask for a new verse for a song.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Dec 8, 2022

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Accubitus posted:

This is all correct, but I don't understand what GeoHotz is even saying with this idea. What does posting a tweet have to do with search? Please someone explain the UX flow here because I'm not getting it.
Like you post a tweet that's a question, and then you search that question, and it gives you the replies to the tweet? Why is posting the question necessary for searching the question?

Congrats you put more thought into it than george or anyone else at twitter HQ.

Your slightly too small sofa to sleep on is this way and your workstation is right next to it!

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012
Oh great, forgot about this rear end in a top hat.

https://twitter.com/LauraLoomer/status/1600864564417265666

Also, looks like that visit Musk made to Apple HQ recently didn't smooth things over:

https://twitter.com/SawyerMerritt/status/1600685117579571201

IBroughttheFunk fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Dec 8, 2022

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
chatgpt is nifty but im already getting sick of it dominating the content mills online just like dall-e did for a couple months

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Uhh yeah. About that good job.

When this news broke ~7 years ago the common reaction was "no that's too stupid, you've got to be explaining it wrong", and yet here we are. Some genius decided to use one static "random number" to encrypt literally all of the PS3's signed files.

Didnt Deus Ex 1 have a part where Page was just like "lol we'll just find and use a bigger prime number." (which is a hint that Page is kinda dumb because finding new and bigger rpimes isnt a non trivial task)

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

IBroughttheFunk posted:

Also, looks like that visit Musk made to Apple HQ recently didn't smooth things over:

the plans will be called True Blue (web) and Apple Cuck (app)

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

IBroughttheFunk posted:

This is a pretty common approach. A lot of apps explicitly tell you you should sub through their website to avoid the upcharge.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

IBroughttheFunk posted:

I think most services have bits in the contract that say you can't do that

but also "who polices the rich?"

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Accubitus posted:

Yeah it's completely baffling. I initially thought it was gonna be like "we built a search engine into tweets", like you write a tweet saying

"Hey guys what's the best Indian place in Toronto?"

and then his brilliant search engine searches for the best Indian food in Toronto and writes the responses below as tweets like people were commenting and giving suggestions. I have no idea how the gently caress any of that makes any sense or why anyone would want to use that, but it still makes even more sense than the alternative which is "we made a search engine, but instead of just giving you the results, we're gonna format and rewrite them to look like tweets".

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

https://www.forbes.com/sites/shaharziv/2020/07/08/heres-why-your-apple-app-store-purchases-may-be-a-ripoff/?sh=4ab726fd2007

quote:

Tidal: The music streaming app charges $9.99 for a monthly subscription to its premium tier on the Tidal website, but $12.99 if you purchase it through Tidal’s iPhone app. While not a huge difference, why pay $36 more each year?

quote:

YouTube Music (owned by Google): A monthly subscription costs $9.99 if purchased via the YouTube website, but $12.99 if want to purchase via the YouTube Music iOS app.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

IBroughttheFunk posted:

lmao tim cook told him to go gently caress himself

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
"The concrete walls and security room have been completed sir. Strip searches of all employees permitted off site can now commence to ensure they are not stealing any precious code."

"Good. You've earned yourself an hours rest in one of our premium office sleeping cells. The doors lock from the outside, so tweet me when you need to get out."

"Thank you sir. If I might ask, could I have some food?"

"You people eat?"

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Another new directive from TwitHQ:
Hardcore coders who achieve their daily line goals get the beds; cuck coders who miss their targets will couch surf. Continuing to miss will find them surfiing right out of a job.

alternate post:
This season's crossover of Billions X Silicon Valley X Severance has finally become too unbelievable.

The Butcher posted:

"The concrete walls and security room have been completed sir. Strip searches of all employees permitted off site can now commence to ensure they are not stealing any precious code."

"Good. You've earned yourself an hours rest in one of our premium office sleeping cells. The doors lock from the outside, so tweet me when you need to get out."

"Thank you sir. If I might ask, could I have some food?"

"You people eat?"

The mistake was asking for food rather than cuisine.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Data Graham posted:

My favorite thing about that Hotz guy is thinking search can be improved by Javascript

like, there is front-end and back-end. Javascript is front-end. All the search machinery and intelligence and data is in the back-end. Front-end is just the user interface.

"Improving search" by tweaking Javascript is about equivalent to making your car go faster by painting stripes on it

Someone who knows a little bit about web development would understand that what he was proposing was nonsense that would make him look like an absolute fool if he tweeted about it publicly. For that to seem like a good idea he would have to know literally nothing about the domain

To be honest, at this point it wouldn't surprise me if someone tried to implement a database in javascript at this point.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

i thought apple didn't allow you to charge extra for IAP to pass the apple tax onto the user

hence why services like netflix require you to subscribe online

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Yeah it's completely baffling. I initially thought it was gonna be like "we built a search engine into tweets", like you write a tweet saying

"Hey guys what's the best Indian place in Toronto?"

and then his brilliant search engine searches for the best Indian food in Toronto and writes the responses below as tweets like people were commenting and giving suggestions. I have no idea how the gently caress any of that makes any sense or why anyone would want to use that, but it still makes even more sense than the alternative which is "we made a search engine, but instead of just giving you the results, we're gonna format and rewrite them to look like tweets".
I just assumed he was talking about something like searching for info on Quora. Like, multiple people likely asked for food places in Toronto before, so it would find and compile replies to similar tweets for you.

Which basically means you made Quora in twitter but with a lot more filtering if you don’t want every result to be 50 tweet long irrelevant arguments or endless walls of people suggesting the same place over and over again because it’s been asked a million times and answered the same way every time. Probably needs some sort of language interpreter as well, because people can ask very different questions using the same words.

yook fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Dec 8, 2022