Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN posted:

I didnt find any of them that tough on a first playthrough except for The Experiment that you see in Dairon early on before its body gets hijacked by the X and the final boss. Everything's pretty tame in this game if you did endgame stuff in Hollow Knight or played Dark Souls before. I'd still say it's the hardest Metroid by a comfortable margin

:hai:

Still can't believe Dread won #2 SA goty behind FF14 last year.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3987583&pagenumber=59&perpage=40&userid=0#post520556029

Barreft fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Dec 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

In soccer story i ran through the entrance of the retirement home and it let me walk around out of bounds instead of loading the outside like it was supposed to. and then the game loaded my character into the ocean, said i can't go in the ocean, then started playing a cutscene that seemed like a pretty huge skip to later in the game. earlier the game crashed. i thought this game was by the devs of golf story but it's not. it's my fault but i still think they wanted me to think that. I hope they make some nice patches.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Wildtortilla posted:

Please do one of your excellent, thoughtful write ups about Dorfromantik. It’s probably going to be the next game I buy.

I looked through my posts to see what exactly you meant and realized I had planned to play some more Into the Breach, which I haven't done yet, so I'm going to have to do that.

But anyway.

I've spent maybe 3 hours in Dorfromantik and I'm pretty sure I've seen all it has to offer. This isn't a bad thing necessarily. All you do is place hexagonal tiles down, with features like Forest, field, houses, linking them up for points and to see how much you can make your things sprawl. If your favorite part of a Civ game is seeing how the cities organically develop once you hit the Auto-Improve button on a worker, because who has time to micromanage, this will immediately click with you.

It is not as chill a game as I thought it would be. I mean of course it's relaxing, but wanting to perfectly line up tiles can get frustrating when you don't get the right draw, kind of like waiting for the never-arriving I block in Tetris. The game offers several modes to address these issues, including a creative mode where you can just put down what you want. There's a regular mode that starts you with 50 tiles (you unlock more tiles by meeting in-game objectives ie "Forest with 400 trees" etc), a Quick mode that starts you with 25 or so tiles, and Hard Mode with more stringent rules, which I haven't tried yet. An average game takes about an hour at the pace I've played them. Quick mode is meant to be less of an investment since it sits in at about 20 minutes, though I'd argue you feel cheated when the game just ends, since you sort of want to expand but you're just not given the options. They've also made an Monthly mode where you compete for a place on the leaderboards with specific rules. Which is nice if you need more motivation to boot it up. Because that's probably the biggest problem. This is all the game is. They've got a few unlockables that you get meeting certain requirements, and they'll give some new titles and eventually different skins for visual variety, but that's about it.

For 14 euro, it's a fair deal for a nice way to spend an hour or two at a go. It's really pleasant to see things come together (and frustrating when they don't, drat train tracks!). Like any good board game its rules give you a good way to play the game at your own pace. I haven't had my wife try it, but I feel she may like it, if I don't tell her about the point system and just let her put down tiles. It most reminds me of Lonely Mountain: Downhill a surprisingly chill game for how many times you break your face falling off a bike. They've both got a cozy (twee) Scandinavian aesthetic, generally let you advance at your own pace (yeah ok LM has a few time trials), and enjoy 'natural' areas. It's nice to see the little boat go down the river, and the checkerboard of pastel colors.

I'm going to plug away at it trying to get some more of the unlockables, maybe take one honest go at designing a nice board in creative mode, but once I run out of unlockables it'll likely fade away into my already massive library. It's a good game, but in the sea of good games on the Switch it'll probably get lost, despite it clearly being a game you could really get into, if it clicks with you.

I thought it was very cool how it feels inspired by board games, but is clearly something that could only exist virtually, unless you have an enormous table, but it turns out their making a board game based on it, so there's that.

TLDR: You'll probably lose interest in it after a few hours, unless it really clicks with you, but for that time you'll likely enjoy the very relaxing tile game (with the occasional frustration). For 14 euro you could far worse, and I think even at that price if you get at least 5-6 matches in it was worth the price.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Hmm, thank you. Sounds like not a great use of my money at the moment. I’ll hold off for a sale or maybe just forget about it entirely. :(

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Honestly, the biggest pitfall of Dorfromantik is that specific moment whenever you start aiming for score.

The first few runs are magically chill and smooth, but that erodes as you attempt the actual challenge before you (and think you know what you're doing). Perhaps someone else may find it zen still, but there's personally only so many times I can be handed a piece with town-forest-town-field-field-railway that fits well absolutely nowhere and also asks me to close off my city before it starts to annoy. Some sort of easier or higher tile reward mode maybe would've served to keep things interesting for me, the present challenge just becomes too much for it to purely be chill.

You can always go sandbox, I guess, it does have that.

How long it stays a welcome, fresh experience really depends on the player. It's not like it turns you away forever either as I've had the urge to go back to it recently, but the hours of chill fun are highly variable.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
The description of that game has some real Carcassonne vibes.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

The new Mario Kart courses are so good, Maple Treeway was probably the best course that wasn’t already in MK8. Now that it’s there MK8 is the best Mario Kart :allears:

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Haven't tried it but I can see why.

Odd Wilson posted:

Honestly, the biggest pitfall of Dorfromantik is that specific moment whenever you start aiming for score.

The first few runs are magically chill and smooth, but that erodes as you attempt the actual challenge before you (and think you know what you're doing). Perhaps someone else may find it zen still, but there's personally only so many times I can be handed a piece with town-forest-town-field-field-railway that fits well absolutely nowhere and also asks me to close off my city before it starts to annoy. Some sort of easier or higher tile reward mode maybe would've served to keep things interesting for me, the present challenge just becomes too much for it to purely be chill.

You can always go sandbox, I guess, it does have that.

How long it stays a welcome, fresh experience really depends on the player. It's not like it turns you away forever either as I've had the urge to go back to it recently, but the hours of chill fun are highly variable.

That's really well said. I lost my folders when I got my OLED and made a half-assed effort to reorganize them, but it's a good game to revisit from time to time and chill out in, but again if you're like me and have a ton of games it'll get lost in the sea of options.

Wildtortilla posted:

Hmm, thank you. Sounds like not a great use of my money at the moment. I’ll hold off for a sale or maybe just forget about it entirely. :(

That's fair. It's definitely not a 'must-buy' unless you really see what it does it just rubs you the right way. I do think it's novel enough to get, and cheap enough to justify it, but yeah, it only offers so much. I compared the feelings I got to Lonely Mountain: Downhill, which I think I would recommend over it personally.

That game has less replay value, unless you like beating a time, but each track and environment was so nice to experience that I actually got the DLC for it. It's a "chill" game in theory, because it's otherwise a racing game where you crash A LOT (and sometimes are not meant to crash much), but it does give you the chance to catch your breath from time to time, and it resets you so quickly after a crash you don't mind too much, plus the checkpoints are relatively generous. It's hard to explain but I felt super zen once I figured out certain turns and just cruised down the mountain like a savant. I was never super fast or anything but it was just pleasant. Finding safe shortcuts also scratched the exploration itch just right.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Cavauro posted:

In soccer story i ran through the entrance of the retirement home and it let me walk around out of bounds instead of loading the outside like it was supposed to. and then the game loaded my character into the ocean, said i can't go in the ocean, then started playing a cutscene that seemed like a pretty huge skip to later in the game. earlier the game crashed. i thought this game was by the devs of golf story but it's not. it's my fault but i still think they wanted me to think that. I hope they make some nice patches.
It sure looks like it was released to take advantage of Sports Story coming up.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
The difficulty in Rogue Legacy 2 seems hilariously non-linear. 3rd boss took me bit, 4th boss probably killed 20 generations. Zone 5 is just like bullet hell platforming.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Drowning Rabbit posted:

For real, it has a lot of the kind of feel one might get from just building maps solo with Carcassonne tiles, if they were hex tiles.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Calidus posted:

The difficulty in Rogue Legacy 2 seems hilariously non-linear. 3rd boss took me bit, 4th boss probably killed 20 generations. Zone 5 is just like bullet hell platforming.

You can spin jump off the yellow balls if you didn't know that.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

dragon quest treasures doing battle for arceus for Game With the Most "It's Not About the Graphics, It's the Gameplay" Graphics

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

The 7th Guest posted:

dragon quest treasures doing battle for arceus for Game With the Most "It's Not About the Graphics, It's the Gameplay" Graphics

I mean, looking at the characters, I love the style, but those textures on the rocks are rough.

:shobon:

Spellman
May 31, 2011

The colors look nice, looks like 3DS era

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

The 7th Guest posted:

Breath of the Mild

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I really hope a Switch 2 is announced at E3 next year. The X1 was released in 2015 and it REALLY shows.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

I hope the switch continues for five more years

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
playing xenoblade and the x1 really shows.... that it kick's rear end....

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

The 7th Guest posted:

This is the Switch thread, not the PS2 thread, thx

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

An Actual Princess posted:

If Botw2 has performance issues I'll be pretty bummed

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Mr.Acula posted:

If Botw2 has performance issues I'll be pretty bummed

BotW had performance issues and it’s using the same engine.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The 7th Guest posted:

That doesn't seem terribly far from what DQM looked like on my DS

Edit: Actually it's worse?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

portal companion's on sale for the first time. $14 instead of $20.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

that should be enough for 1, maybe 2 more Xenoblades. Fair deal.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

The 7th Guest posted:

reminds me of these old sticker books I had as a kid

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Go play the MK8 update with custom items, this poo poo is hilarious

https://twitter.com/BoomMike/status/1600934051166449666

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

BotW had performance issues and it’s using the same engine.

Basically only a big deal in the one great deku tree area. I think it'll be fine. And great!

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Astro7x posted:

Blue shells only is the new get drunk with friends game

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Get drunk with friends, sober up with enemies

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Unreal_One posted:

Get drunk with friends, sober up with enemies

Keep your friends drunk, and your enemies drunker

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Astro7x posted:

Lastdancer please add this to the OP

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Astro7x posted:

you can also set custom items per team in team races. giving the 4yo nothing but stars and bullet bills has been the great equalizer of our household

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Astro7x posted:

This is the zoomer equivalent of playing 4 player Goldeneye with only proximity mines.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

pentyne posted:

This is the zoomer equivalent of playing 4 player Goldeneye with only proximity mines.

A truer post has never been made.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Astro7x posted:

This rules, give MK8 game of the year

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

pentyne posted:

i mean, at least in that version of bond multiplayer there's a chance to survive and sneak around. you can also launch a mine direct at any person versus only targeting the leader.

here you're just being blown up every 5s with no chance of protecting yourself. that seems...blah.

also, remote mines were way better.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

pentyne posted:

Perfect Dark with those barf grenades set to Proximity Pinball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

A truer post has never been made.

Bruceski posted:

Perfect Dark with those barf grenades set to Proximity Pinball.

Sorry, THIS post gets it right.