Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Deacon St. John is great. Due to the writing and the aforementioned yelling at himself the character comes off as suicidal psychopath. His character really fits the world he lives in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I feel like I should finally get around to Sifu before year's end. I'm not spending full price tho, that poo poo's been out forever!

edit; also apparently the John Wick people whoever they are have optioned a Sifu movie lol

It’s a really good game, stuff learning curve but it does feel great to play once you’ve gotten it down. Also if you want to just burn a quick 5 min you can do a run of a level, don’t have to sit and dedicate a ton of time each session.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
I absolutely loved each character in the game, and thought they were all written really well! I was completely invested in Deacon and Sarah's relationship, and finding out how all that would go.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Forspoken demo dropping this week or next, theres a showcase on friday (probably shadowdropped) but sony japan hosed up a tweet lol

https://twitter.com/gematsu/status/1600757619664486400?s=20&t=Q9INlFFN29Ys0IU5UOEE3g

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mr Hootington posted:

Deacon St. John is great. Due to the writing and the aforementioned yelling at himself the character comes off as suicidal psychopath. His character really fits the world he lives in.

But have you considered that maybe it is just too subtle for you?

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Brian Worms posted:

I started HFW but just wasn't in the mood for it I guess. For future reference, is there any way to turn down/turn off Aloy Hints? It's like the "i should sell some of this bluegleam" poo poo but even more incessant.

God, this trend of backseating game characters needs to die.
Plague Tale is another offender.
Sometimes, the SECOND you step your foot into a puzzle area, Amicia or Lucas start blabbing how to get past an obstacle.

It's fine if you want to introduce and explain a new game element/mechanic, but please let people figure out poo poo on their own for a minute.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Escobarbarian posted:

I just don’t see any nuance at all in there. Not even for a single line. I even went looking through the script on gamefaqs trying to find something that wasn’t achingly generic and I came up short. I think it’s cool that you personally like one of the characters and find him endearing, but it’s possible you’re getting your similarities and your personal experiences mixed up with what’s actually in the game. And even if I did agree with you on that one character, I still think every other character stinks.

I mean, of course my personal experiences are going to influence my reading of a piece of art, I mean that's what art is right? I'm not saying I'm right or you're wrong, it's all completely subjective but it's a bit disingenuous to suggest my reading of the characters based on personal experience isnt supported by the text, especially when you dont share those particular personal experiences :(

I also dont understand your use of the term achingly generic and what you mean by it. Aren't we all a bit generic? Dont we all often speak in cliches and stock phrases, common terms and perspectives?

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Lol demos are the fastest way to turn people off from your game. Way better to hype the game up and drop it without a demo to maximize how many buyers are ripped off. Never show your cards for free. A demo has never helped a game sell more at release, only less. Forespoken demo all but ensures they shutter the doors at that dev house by the end of the year.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

fridge corn posted:

I also dont understand your use of the term achingly generic and what you mean by it. Aren't we all a bit generic? Dont we all often speak in cliches and stock phrases, common terms and perspectives?

It means that there is nothing about the characters that hasn’t been done in many many other pieces of media or that leads them to feel unique or properly fleshed-out. To go back to the TLOU example, Ellie (speaking just from the first game here) is such a detailed and well-developed character, her sense of humour and toughness and vulnerability all shine and create a fully three-dimensional and believable person. In Days Gone, every single other male biker except from Deek is “basically Norman Reedus from The Walking Dead” but with like one basic extra adjective shoved in front. Sarah is generic “loving but self-sufficient”, even when the third act puts her in interesting circumstances. It all feels perfunctory and like nobody actually cared about the characters or their motivations. And when you compare it to the writing in TLOU, or Ragnarok, or Aloy’s arc in Forbidden West, it sticks out horribly.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Blind Rasputin posted:

Lol demos are the fastest way to turn people off from your game. Way better to hype the game up and drop it without a demo to maximize how many buyers are ripped off. Never show your cards for free. A demo has never helped a game sell more at release, only less. Forespoken demo all but ensures they shutter the doors at that dev house by the end of the year.

oh my god you almost got me here :allears:

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
someone posted this on reddit, but they noticed that this promo for kojima's new project is lea seydoux based on the hair cut and the beauty mark, so they think this definitely means it's death stranding 2 and not 'overdose' or whatever his other project is.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Escobarbarian posted:

The “ride me like you do your motorcycle” thing is a lot less poo poo in context because it’s a reference to a previous conversation where they were joking about cheesy biker bullshit but it’s still not great

I'm pretty sure it's just traditional wedding vow stuff for Hell's Angels

Edit: still bad though

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Escobarbarian posted:

It means that there is nothing about the characters that hasn’t been done in many many other pieces of media or that leads them to feel unique or properly fleshed-out. To go back to the TLOU example, Ellie (speaking just from the first game here) is such a detailed and well-developed character, her sense of humour and toughness and vulnerability all shine and create a fully three-dimensional and believable person. In Days Gone, every single other male biker except from Deek is “basically Norman Reedus from The Walking Dead” but with like one basic extra adjective shoved in front. Sarah is generic “loving but self-sufficient”, even when the third act puts her in interesting circumstances. It all feels perfunctory and like nobody actually cared about the characters or their motivations. And when you compare it to the writing in TLOU, or Ragnarok, or Aloy’s arc in Forbidden West, it sticks out horribly.

See I'm not really comparing the characters in Days Gone to characters in other media, I'm comparing them to actual people, and I find Deek et al to be refreshingly generic and believable. I dont consume a lot of media. I've never seen the walking dead, I've never watched sons of anarchy, I would probably fall asleep if I did try to watch it. I dont even watch a lot of films! It's all video games and books for me and in games so often you're surrounded by fantastical characters in fantastical settings so I found it interesting that Days Gone had such generic and believable characters.

I'm not trying to say that the character writing in Days Gone is better or even as good as TLOU or GOW or Horizon, but I am saying it's good, or at least better than most give it credit for

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

imhotep posted:

someone posted this on reddit, but they noticed that this promo for kojima's new project is lea seydoux based on the hair cut and the beauty mark, so they think this definitely means it's death stranding 2 and not 'overdose' or whatever his other project is.

How come? Because she’s fragile but not that fragile.

Edit: oh duh holy poo poo. It is going to be a prequel based on the fragile shipping company years before she gets the bad thing done to her. A game set way earlier in time before all of the Sam Porter story would really probably be awesome.

Blind Rasputin fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Dec 8, 2022

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

fridge corn posted:

See I'm not really comparing the characters in Days Gone to characters in other media, I'm comparing them to actual people, and I find Deek et al to be refreshingly generic and believable. I dont consume a lot of media. I've never seen the walking dead, I've never watched sons of anarchy, I would probably fall asleep if I did try to watch it. I dont even watch a lot of films! It's all video games and books for me and in games so often you're surrounded by fantastical characters in fantastical settings so I found it interesting that Days Gone had such generic and believable characters.

I'm not trying to say that the character writing in Days Gone is better or even as good as TLOU or GOW or Horizon, but I am saying it's good, or at least better than most give it credit for

I’m a bit confused by this. When I talk about characters not being well-developed or seeming three-dimensional, I mean as human beings, like they are intended to be. I totally disagree that they feel believable because the dialogue is all so stilted and unnatural. There’s no break between characters in other media or actual people because the whole point of human characters in media such at this is for them to seem like actual humans. I do find it tough to believe you know people who talk like that, because nobody talks like that. It’s all exposition and “HERE IS MY ONE CHARACTER TRAIT”

e: for the record, I do totally theoretically understand the argument of “this is my first exposure to this character archetype in media, and it worked for me, therefore I see it as a success”. I just have trouble drawing a line between that and the actual writing as it exists in the game.

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Dec 8, 2022

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Escobarbarian posted:

He shouts a lot of his inner monologue/reaction to radio broadcasts out loud so he can, I guess, hear himself over the sound of his own bike, but they didn’t make it dynamic so if you stop riding and turn the engine off he keeps on yelling at the top of his voice

lmao. Can't wait to play it.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I just got the platinum trophy in Callisto and actually really enjoyed my Maximum Security run.

Which means I’m most certainly suffering Stockholm syndrome, so I’m deleting the game so I can begin to heal.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Saw a bunch of posts saying you could get the hardest difficulty trophy by just reloading the post-final boss save, changing the difficulty to max then watching the end cutscene again but it had been patched by the time I tried it rip.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Escobarbarian posted:

I’m a bit confused by this. When I talk about characters not being well-developed or seeming three-dimensional, I mean as human beings, like they are intended to be. I totally disagree that they feel believable because the dialogue is all so stilted and unnatural. There’s no break between characters in other media or actual people because the whole point of human characters in media such at this is for them to seem like actual humans. I do find it tough to believe you know people who talk like that, because nobody talks like that. It’s all exposition and “HERE IS MY ONE CHARACTER TRAIT”

e: for the record, I do totally theoretically understand the argument of “this is my first exposure to this character archetype in media, and it worked for me, therefore I see it as a success”. I just have trouble drawing a line between that and the actual writing as it exists in the game.

I think we are approaching this from two completely different perspectives cuz I dont actually disagree with anything you're saying just that none of it factors in to how im assessing the character writing of Days Gone

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
The idea that media needs to "give you a reason to care" about the characters is basically Esco saying "I need their life to match up with mine sufficiently or I have no empathy for them, the Other" which is a depressingly common human trait.

That's not the only way of course. Another thing is they can be so pitiful as to evoke a sympathy response. But "reason to care" is pure hogwash.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
empathy is a natural reaction to seeing other people, so it's natural for it to go missing if characters don't actually come across as sufficiently "human" in terms of characterization. you don't really need to "force" empathy it's just something which happens as a result of your characters coming across as "living"

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The idea that media needs to "give you a reason to care" about the characters is basically Esco saying "I need their life to match up with mine sufficiently or I have no empathy for them, the Other" which is a depressingly common human trait.

That's not the only way of course. Another thing is they can be so pitiful as to evoke a sympathy response. But "reason to care" is pure hogwash.

this is also just a jerk rear end thing to say lmao, not caring about a Video Game Character does not make you a bad person

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

absolute lunatic post

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Feels Villeneuve posted:

this is also just a jerk rear end thing to say lmao, not caring about a Video Game Character does not make you a bad person

Of course it doesn't, but some reasons are better than others. If I tell you that I can't empathize with Aloy in Horizon Far West because she's a woman and I'm not, that's an rear end in a top hat thing to say.

The idea that it's the media's responsibility to make you care is a very stupid critical perspective.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

mcbexx posted:

God, this trend of backseating game characters needs to die.
Plague Tale is another offender.
Sometimes, the SECOND you step your foot into a puzzle area, Amicia or Lucas start blabbing how to get past an obstacle.

It's fine if you want to introduce and explain a new game element/mechanic, but please let people figure out poo poo on their own for a minute.

Why is this the year of annoying NPCs solving your puzzles for you? I had just forgotten how aggravating Aloy was about pointing out everything she should do (due to playing Elden Ring which refuses to hold your hand tyvm GOTY 2022 i will hear no arguments) just in time for Boy and Freya to start up with the same know-it-all poo poo. Were there a bunch of studies that came out last year that said gamers were getting frustratingly stumped at obvious hit-the-thing puzzles? I don't remember it ever being a real thing before, at least not for multiple large releases over a period of months.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Of course it doesn't, but some reasons are better than others. If I tell you that I can't empathize with Aloy in Horizon Far West because she's a woman and I'm not, that's an rear end in a top hat thing to say.

The idea that it's the media's responsibility to make you care is a very stupid critical perspective.

What do you think storytelling is?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Phenotype posted:

Why is this the year of annoying NPCs solving your puzzles for you? I had just forgotten how aggravating Aloy was about pointing out everything she should do (due to playing Elden Ring which refuses to hold your hand tyvm GOTY 2022 i will hear no arguments) just in time for Boy and Freya to start up with the same know-it-all poo poo. Were there a bunch of studies that came out last year that said gamers were getting frustratingly stumped at obvious hit-the-thing puzzles? I don't remember it ever being a real thing before, at least not for multiple large releases over a period of months.

i think devs like the idea of "variety" in their games (read: bad puzzles) but don't like the idea of people getting stuck because a) they suck at puzzles, or b) the puzzle is terrible so it just makes designing it easier. just part of a game trying to be too many things to too many people, i think.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
You guys are making Days Gone sound a lot funnier than it is but I can't think of a single reason to play it over Mad Max, a frankly 7/10 game at best but still a much more satisfying 'suicidal loner navigates the post-apocalypse in a series of scrap vehicles and does various tasks for wasteland weirdos' experience

But then I think I only got to the second or third settlement in Days Gone so maybe I dropped it before it really gets going

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

tf does this mean? It is literally any piece of media's responsibility to make me care about the characters. Otherwise it's not going to be a compelling piece of media. That is like the entire point of writing fiction: making your audience care about your characters even if they're utterly unlike them.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I think I like the characters in Days Gone despite the writing, and I dislike the characters in The Last of Us also despite the writing

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i think devs like the idea of "variety" in their games (read: bad puzzles) but don't like the idea of people getting stuck because a) they suck at puzzles, or b) the puzzle is terrible so it just makes designing it easier. just part of a game trying to be too many things to too many people, i think.

the fact that none of them make it a toggle is the really mystifying part, especially when they also love to tout “accessibility options.” menu screens half a mile deep but no option to shut off the hints

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Oxxidation posted:

the fact that none of them make it a toggle is the really mystifying part, especially when they also love to tout “accessibility options.” menu screens half a mile deep but no option to shut off the hints

while this is true, it's also like, if they suck enough that players will want to turn them off, why put them in the game in the first place

and i do get that it's supposed to be a blockbuster game with wide appeal, i just have a bias towards narrow focused design

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I'm not exactly sure why but GOW2 isn't really gripping me.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I must have got a special edition of GOWR because I didn’t get any crazy amounts of handholding ever. The worst I got were characters saying “that looks interesting” but having no idea what they were talking about.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Phenotype posted:

tf does this mean? It is literally any piece of media's responsibility to make me care about the characters. Otherwise it's not going to be a compelling piece of media.

Let me give you a position: For some reason I watch a drama movie in a language I don't speak from a culture I have no knowledge of. There are no subtitles. I can't understand what the characters are saying, and their physical reactions are read as ambiguous by me as they come from a culture that prizes stoicism. At the end of the movie, I kick my feet up and say "that wasn't a very compelling piece of media, they failed their responsibility to make me care about the characters".

Can you see the problem?

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

mcmagic posted:

I'm not exactly sure why but GOW2 isn't really gripping me.

I had this initial reaction and thought maybe I just needed to spend more time with it, but I'm approaching the end now and still feel entirely "meh" about the whole experience. At this point all I feel about it is an obligation to finish so I can delete it from my drive.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Let me give you a position: For some reason I watch a drama movie in a language I don't speak from a culture I have no knowledge of. There are no subtitles. I can't understand what the characters are saying, and their physical reactions are read as ambiguous by me as they come from a culture that prizes stoicism. At the end of the movie, I kick my feet up and say "that wasn't a very compelling piece of media, they failed their responsibility to make me care about the characters".

Can you see the problem?

What does this have to do with the bad game about bikers

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I love when someone’s argument is so stupid and insipid that I don’t feel any need to defend myself against it at all

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Arist posted:

What does this have to do with the bad game about bikers

Well, a poster said they didn't like the characters and that it is the responsibility of media to make them like the characters, and I said that's a bad critical perspective, and now we're talking about that, as well as the hand-holding endemic in triple-A gaming, and some other stuff.

I think this thread can walk and chew gum at the same time but if you're really bothered by the topic I'll stop. I just like arguing criticism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

imhotep posted:

an actor... playing a different character in a new work?

nah, too farfetched