Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Mazed posted:

it is sort of funny how out-and-out edgelordy the initial "black swordsman" arc feels. The thing that still winds up making it work is that it's building up to that single panel of Guts failing to hold back tears after just putting on a show of hardassery to the lady who's life has just been ruined (whether or not it's his fault.) There's a satisfying note of "this is it. This is who Guts really is."

And then next chapter, boom, cut to a hanged corpse giving birth to him. Welcome to the Golden Age. :buddy:

It starts off super edgy with him loving that demon and blowing it up, and ends with him showing cracks of just how broken he is; going so far as to encourage this girl to hate him, to want to kill him, if it means she survives and struggles even if that tears him up. I've always liked the Black Swordsman arc because it feels like even if it is mostly the edgelord fights, it manages to show enough of who Guts is that by the time you start seeing that Guts through the Golden Age Guts you get a real good sense of apprehension to know "Oh no, something bad happens to these people I like now".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Although loving that snake demon really doesn't seem like something Guts would do with what we come to know of him. I know Black Swordsman Guts is him at his worst but it still feels like kind of a stretch.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I always just shrug that off as the writing very much still figuring out who, exactly, guts is and feeling out the character which is why that last scene feels so much more Guts than the first scene.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

it definitely doesn't track for a guy who has a phobia of physical contact

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

that scene was Miura going "okay I'm gonna get people's attention with the protagonist banging a demon who then tries to eat him" and serves so well in that regard that it doesn't matter if it actually happened (but hey at least the demon showed up during the Eclipse; no sense in wasting a monster design)

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Guts would do anything, anything to avenge his best friend Corkus.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Nuebot posted:

I always just shrug that off as the writing very much still figuring out who, exactly, guts is
Happily by the chronological end of Swordsman we know, and are able to fully enjoy Guts' and the story's true form in Lost Children.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Nuebot posted:

I always just shrug that off as the writing very much still figuring out who, exactly, guts is and feeling out the character which is why that last scene feels so much more Guts than the first scene.

Yeah, it doesn't bother me or anything. It's just interesting to see what clicked right away and what didn't fully take shape until a bit later on.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The first arc was also started when Miura was in his early 20's (and supposedly conceptualized when he was still a teenager) so I forgive a lot of the early edginess.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Funky Valentine posted:

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

The demon was pretty hot so i cant blame him

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

I could see it being like, you want to be 100% sure you have the right target before killing it, I could definitely see guts having sex with 20 different ladies searching for the Cthulhu Rapemurder Hellface lady so he can blow its face off.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The Black Swordsman Arc is EXTREMELY like The Gunslinger in a lot of ways. I'm just somehow realizing that right now.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

It's super weird given what we learn about Guts, but it does set the stage for his basic character in the black swordsman arcs which is "so obsessed with revenge he will go to any lengths to murder the monsters".

I'm glad we never see him do it again, but if he's certain its an apostle I doubt he's really seeing it as sex and more just part of his trap to murder.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Miura knew what he was doing. There's a page of debate here about screwing apostle lady, and no one is worried that Lost Children is more gory than Black Swordsman, that Guts uses and abuses people in every chapter (LC), that the apostle is visually a big... genital.

BS feels weird because, sure, there are a few early story things that were left out later. That happens. But if the reader looks at GA, BS, LC, the characters fit and make sense, and the themes are constant and ultimately unchanged through the arcs. You can't escape it by brushing it under three pages of getting down with a xenomorph.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Funky Valentine posted:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Well, I finally went and binged the ‘97 anime, and even knowing everything about the ending, goddrat was that one hell of a trip the whole way through.

…Is it just me, or did the OP start to feel like it was a sitcom punchline as the story got darker and darker?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You just needed to put your grasses on to see where things were heading

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Regalingualius posted:

Well, I finally went and binged the ‘97 anime, and even knowing everything about the ending, goddrat was that one hell of a trip the whole way through.
:asoiaf: Isn't it just amazing?!

I mean sure even I have to roll my eyes or look away from the scrolling fixed image thing every now and then, but the pacing, emotion, and emphasis are perfect. Now go back and rewatch the first episode! Just for "closure". :allears:

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

New Susumu Hirasawa song as part of the Berserk memorial edition:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPi6S0jeMpk

Also I'm thinking the counter on the Berserk website might be ticking down to a new tv series, or possible new movie/OVA/ONA series by Studio 4c, corresponding with the latest chapter release and end of the Memorial Edition airing. I'd be more than happy if they were able to match the quality from the third Golden Age movie over the course of an entire series. This scene that accompanies the above song also shows how far they've come with the cg. The bodies are sort of obviously CG but the faces look really nice and the hair looks good, I don't mind that they need to use technology to capture really realistic body types. The motion isn't bad, the shading works and color choices mix with the illustrated backgrounds. For something like Berserk one just has to make peace with that CG will be needed as part of the process because modern anime can't get away with the extremely limited movement of the 97 series without seeming extremely cheap.

Or the counter could be for some new Berserk pinball machine you can only play if you're in Tokyo on a particular week. Who knows.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Nov 8, 2022

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Dunno if anyone else is following the Memorial Edition but episode 7 had a new sequence that wasn't in the movies, with Guts talking to Judeau at the tavern. These new sequences are being done with almost all cg but they have much nicer face integration than they used to. If Studio 4c is working on a new anime they'll probably use that kind of workflow so they can do most of it in CG will still retaining the appeal of the characters faces. Their versions of Guts are much more on model than the series Gemba did last decade.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

All these changes and they still couldn't add in Zodd throwing Guts the sword during his fight with Boscogn

Just one of the most pointless, stupid changes lol

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Im still watching the Memorial Edition, this most recent episode added some of the exchange between Casca and Guts that was missing from both the movies and the 97 series. They did it with 2d instead of 3d this time but I think they were a bit low on skilled animators because they weren't able to match the quality of draftsmanship that the movies had when they were traditionally animated. Some odd expressions on Guts. Casca fared better.

13 days until that website reveals if there's a new Berserk animated project coming.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

great meme potential though

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
That's pure recursive meme territory right there; ie, the correct response to that is those images themselves. :psyduck:

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I'm not seeing it. Can you make up an example?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mraagvpeine posted:

I'm not seeing it. Can you make up an example?

The side eye puppet meme immediately springs to mind.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Ironically I preferred the CG Guts from the new shots in episode 7 because it kept Gut's face more on model. I think Studio 4c finally figured out this whole CG thing, to about the same level as places like Orange and Sanzigen. (okay maybe not quite as good as Orange)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Berserk '97 hits Netflix tomorrow.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

:mad:

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
It's up for me... But only on French.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Spermando posted:

It's up for me... But only on French.

Mettre vos herbes.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

https://mangadex.org/chapter/c9e27928-258a-4a13-841b-56997de30d50/1

New chapter

whys rape horse a notable opponent

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing much happened.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Zodd looks a little weird on the last page.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Some genuinely gorgeous pages here, but overall the panelling and perspective is still off :/

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Nothing much happened.
So it's just like the Miura chapters :v:

Super Rad posted:

Some genuinely gorgeous pages here, but overall the panelling and perspective is still off :/
It's better than the last few, I think they're getting better, but yeah it still feels like everyone is afraid to claim a handle on the characters so it's just a lot of moving dolls around.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Mraagvpeine posted:

Zodd looks a little weird on the last page.

Decidedly a bit off model, but not so far off you can't recognize him. they did draw his head very square and squat where generally his head seems to be far from his body to stretch his proportions. It looks like the stretched him wide instead of tall imo for that panel.

I'm just glad we get more Berserk. Guts having a crisis of identity is def an interesting angle for a guy who has singularly been a beacon of resolute resilience no matter the situation for the entire series.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
We got four characters not even Miura had drawn in years, and they look pretty good! Grunbeld is perhaps a bit too towering, and it seems they may never get Zodd quite right at this rate, but overall I think the art is improving by leaps and bounds with every release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I had no problem with the art. I did have a problem with how pretty much nothing happened in this chapter. After lots of good pacing, this was like a one piece anime episode lol. Still enjoying it, still can't wait for more.