Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

repiv posted:

i thought apple didn't allow you to charge extra for IAP to pass the apple tax onto the user

hence why services like netflix require you to subscribe online

no apple's fine with it, that's just a choice some companies make whether they want to upcharge in the app or just point people to the website for subs because doing the former can lead to bad press

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Uhh yeah. About that good job.

When this news broke ~7 years ago the common reaction was "no that's too stupid, you've got to be explaining it wrong", and yet here we are. Some genius decided to use one static "random number" to encrypt literally all of the PS3's signed files.

Just use resistors to generate Johnson-Nyquist noise and sample that. Bing-bong so simple.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Yeah it's completely baffling. I initially thought it was gonna be like "we built a search engine into tweets", like you write a tweet saying

"Hey guys what's the best Indian place in Toronto?"

and then his brilliant search engine searches for the best Indian food in Toronto and writes the responses below as tweets like people were commenting and giving suggestions. I have no idea how the gently caress any of that makes any sense or why anyone would want to use that, but it still makes even more sense than the alternative which is "we made a search engine, but instead of just giving you the results, we're gonna format and rewrite them to look like tweets".

Haldi, on Parliament.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Sentient Data posted:

Let's just go back to dogpile and hotbot and webrings

I remember when AltaVista was my go-to search :corsair:

Time for a comeback?

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Sir John Falstaff posted:

The very idea of searching for keywords was new in those days, you’s use a website catalogue or a god drat printed book to find addresses.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Webrings FTW

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Wait do people go on Twitter to ask where to buy sandwiches? I thought it was 100% discourse.

Seems like if you're going to use Al Gorithm its to give sponsored ads and tweets about sandwich shops if you're busy arguing about hot dog is a sandwich.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Philthy posted:

lmao tim cook told him to go gently caress himself

Didn't Apple resume full advertising on Twitter?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Sir John Falstaff posted:

Time for a comeback?

Well, Altavista paid 300 million for Elon's search company back in the day, so in a way yes

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

priznat posted:

Congrats you put more thought into it than george or anyone else at twitter HQ.

Your slightly too small sofa to sleep on is this way and your workstation is right next to it!

Trump: *looks at big poster board saying bleach kills Covid*
*into mic* "Uhhhh maybe we could inject disinfectant and cleanse the body, has any of the medical doctors looked into that"

Hotz: *looks at Twitter in one hand and Google in the other*
*into tweet* "Heeyyyyy maybe if <smushes them together>"

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

zedprime posted:

Wait do people go on Twitter to ask where to buy sandwiches? I thought it was 100% discourse.

Seems like if you're going to use Al Gorithm its to give sponsored ads and tweets about sandwich shops if you're busy arguing about hot dog is a sandwich.

People really do use Twitter to search.

Old people that is.
Old people who don't know that they're using Twitter and not Google.

That's the market share Georgie "Do my homework for me" Hotz is gunning for!

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Didn't Apple resume full advertising on Twitter?

everyone itt seems to have this weird idea that Apple would Do The Right Thing™

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Doctor Butts posted:

People really do use Twitter to search.

Old people that is.
Old people who don't know that they're using Twitter and not Google.

That's the market share Georgie "Do my homework for me" Hotz is gunning for!

old people use yahoo/aol

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Also Apple probably had a contract they're obligated to let play out

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Mulaney Power Move posted:

old people use yahoo/aol

My dad uses Yahoo can confirm

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Man I worked long hours like this from my mid 20s to early 30s and basically missed a ton of time with my kid. I have nothing to show for all the work I did other than looking 10 years older than I actually am but that may also be because of my Hunter Biden tier drug habits.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

The Awesomesaurus posted:

https://twitter.com/realGeorgeHotz/status/1599970004593946625

Also his profile picture really pisses me off and I don’t know why.

Every time I see it I think budget will graham.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Mulaney Power Move posted:

old people use yahoo/aol

I still use Yahoo’s front page as a crappy ad hoc test for wifi speed/connectivity when I log on somewhere new or when I’m having issues since it has to load a ton of crap like images and videos

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!

Annabel Pee posted:

his profile pic always reminds me of the aliens guy, but more scowly

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Annabel Pee posted:

That is definitely the look he's going for. Intense, focused, passionate, possibly one of three bassists in a jazz fusion band.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Looking at this again, I think Musk has had the quite frankly brilliant idea to get rid of search engines all together and crowd-source answers.

So as the above poster said, it'll be just like Quora. Once you submit your question, you'll have to wait for hours or days for some internet-poisoned moron who visited South Africa in 2002 to tell you where to find the best Indian food in Johannesburg. A much better system than googles current failure of information indexing.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Outrail posted:

Looking at this again, I think Musk has had the quite frankly brilliant idea to get rid of search engines all together and crowd-source answers.

So as the above poster said, it'll be just like Quora. Once you submit your question, you'll have to wait for hours or days for some internet-poisoned moron who visited South Africa in 2002 to tell you where to find the best Indian food in Johannesburg. A much better system than googles current failure of information indexing.

You will have to pay $8 to ask a question

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They have the twitter database. They can mine it and automatically provide you with the answers someone got from their friends in 2016 when they asked a semantically similar question.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

sticksy posted:

You will have to pay $8 to ask a question

I like my answers bespoke and am willing to pay a little extra for the unique, let's call it wabi-sabi, information I receive

E: example, I just asked Twitter where to get a massage in the greater Dallas metropolitan area and it informed me that I am a homosexual and a... well, I don't feel comfortable typing the rest of it, but needless to say 23&me could learn a thing or two about genetic profiling from this site. This aint your daddy's search engine!

mysterious frankie fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Dec 8, 2022

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

This may be the return of Yahoo Answers that the MBMBAM boys have been looking for

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
I still have a personal Hotmail email address I use.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Frank Frank posted:

I still have a personal Hotmail email address I use.

Same, as my main one.
Since 1999, and it was spam free until this loving year.

The Awesomesaurus posted:

Also his profile picture really pisses me off and I don’t know why.

Looks like a Babylon 5 Centauri.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Also same. I think I still have a Juno account too?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Anyway, Geohot is right that its crazy easy to license a cheap AI question answering framework and feed it a whackload of data and some structure info and get coherent responses. Its just if he does that to Twitter without 2 years of data clean up analysis its going to instantly be Nazi Tay.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

Annabel Pee posted:

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Binary Logic posted:

The mistake was asking for food rather than cuisine.

I believe you have to ask for crudités.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

happyhippy posted:

Same, as my main one.
Since 1999, and it was spam free until this loving year.

Same. Three initials @ is too good to discard.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

zedprime posted:

Anyway, Geohot is right that its crazy easy to license a cheap AI question answering framework and feed it a whackload of data and some structure info and get coherent responses. Its just if he does that to Twitter without 2 years of data clean up analysis its going to instantly be Nazi Tay.
even ignoring being hella racist it's also got the same fundamental problem as that coding AI - there's literally no way to know if what it says is at all accurate without human verification, and there's no code or algorithm to review to understand how it's forming its answers. AI just turns a coding problem into a training/testing problem.

Discount Dracula
Aug 15, 2003

Nap Ghost

Annabel Pee posted:

He looks like the world’s tallest Peter Dinklage.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Bad Purchase posted:

his profile pic always reminds me of the aliens guy, but more scowly

Yeah I always think of the centauri from babylon 5 when I see his profile pic

happyhippy posted:

Looks like a Babylon 5 Centauri.

:argh:

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
My pee bottle is full. gently caress. I submit some code from a random code generator to keep my numbers up, and make my way to the bathroom, paying the entrance fee so I can empty the bottle and take a dump.

Security bangs on the door a minute later and tells me time is up. I wasn't done yet. I sigh. Back to the computer.

Elon is pleased about the code number amounts, and rails a line in his panopticon guard tower in celebration. Things are coming about.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
The funniest/grossest part of the Twitter Barracks Elon set up, is that those living spaces are going to get disgusting fast. The people I've talked to who worked on MMOs during crunch time and a few books I have read on the history of SE have made it very clear that crunch living conditions get incredibly loving gross. And Elon just fired his Janitors.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

thathonkey posted:

unironically the best you can do now to get any reliable information from someone who is ~human is use google but add "reddit" to your query

the AIs will be posting on reddit by EOY if they are not already

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!

Stop posting my kill list

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Azhais posted:

Also Apple probably had a contract they're obligated to let play out

what makes you think this? I assume zero good intent on behalf of anyone.

Apple may just be playing the part of US industry & capital in the mid/late 30s, thinking "well this Hitler [musk] guy is pretty bad but these Nazis [twitter as a platform] seem to have some good ideas and useful for revenue, so maybe we can just ride this out?"

AFAIK, the idea that it would be possible to "punt Hitler, and work with the Nazis" was sort of on the table until information about the death camps became public enough that it became politically impossible to think about such things. Cue US entry into the war in a big way.

Lonnie is doing a lot of poo poo and encouraging nazism but so far he's not mass-executing people, so, the most cynical part of me thinks "even if Twitter only holds on as an even further right Parler, there's a pretty solid chance they will end up recouping a lot of lost advertising as stuff settles down and the news cycle moves on".

edit: https://www.timesofisrael.com/how-the-world-discovered-the-nazi-death-camps/ , https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2001/04/hitlers-willing-business-partners/303146/ , https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/national/daily/nov98/nazicars30.htm

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Dec 8, 2022