Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Speaking of computer jesus, what are your thoughts on the stadia dev machine video? I was visibly going WTF once he started disassembling it, like he never saw a professional OEM case. Be it for the quick replace psu or gorilla ripping the front when it just required four screws to take the front I/O out. All of this is explained in the freely available service manual and GN went passive aggressive in the comments when lot of people pointed out steve yelling at clouds without any reason to do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Scythe gave me a screwdriver for free with each cooler. They're not real fancy but they're long enough to tighten down the Fuma 2 and Mugen. The NH-D15 I just had to figure it out myself like some kind of caveman! Okay, I did just use the scythe one. Nobody tell Noctua.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

my D15 came with a screwdriver, it's a cheaper design but it works

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The Stadia video was illustrative of how bad the service must have been that they were still dicking around with Vega cards that late in the game

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

SlowBloke posted:

Speaking of computer jesus, what are your thoughts on the stadia dev machine video? I was visibly going WTF once he started disassembling it, like he never saw a professional OEM case. Be it for the quick replace psu or gorilla ripping the front when it just required four screws to take the front I/O out. All of this is explained in the freely available service manual and GN went passive aggressive in the comments when lot of people pointed out steve yelling at clouds without any reason to do so.

he acts the same way with every Dell or HP he's touched. He really doesn't "get" mass produced OEM systems.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

It's not like the channel is "Business IT Departments Nexus", I don't know why it's a surprise he isn't exposed to those very often.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
i think people are criticizing his attitude, not knowledge

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

power crystals posted:

It's not like the channel is "Business IT Departments Nexus", I don't know why it's a surprise he isn't exposed to those very often.

Maybe it's market dependent but, grabbing a fully decked workstation when a design firm refreshed their systems, was a classic way to get a killer rig in my general area. All the things that escapes steve now is stuff that every nerd experienced decades ago here. I think my first QD PSU was in a two way HP CAD monster that weighted as much as a moped, running 64 vista stock.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Dec 8, 2022

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Didn't Steve work for Dell way back before he started GN? I don't think it's lack of experience.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

TheFluff posted:

Didn't Steve work for Dell way back before he started GN? I don't think it's lack of experience.

Yes. I don't think it was a case of him not understanding how to take the computer apart. It was probably more that he doesn't like non-standard "clever" solutions that make it hard to replace things and then playing it up for the camera. It was pretty much a fluff video. Didn't really have anything to do with Stadia as 99% of the machine was just an off the shelf Lenovo workstation.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost
I felt he was just funning around (especially since there have been so-goddamned-many teardowns of legit bad pre-builts this year). No-one watching is going to be meaningfully mislead by the acerbic commentary from a dev-kit teardown.

Edit: I don't mean that in a pointed way. It's just... it was a novelty, in the sense of being a Stadia dev-kit, but other than cataloging the parts, there really wasn't much else to say about it.

Edit: Though perhaps Steve would argue that the non-standard parts still suck, even in the dev-kit context, because very little, if any of it, could be meaningfully re-purposed when the machine is no longer needed.

magimix fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Dec 8, 2022

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

gradenko_2000 posted:

The Stadia video was illustrative of how bad the service must have been that they were still dicking around with Vega cards that late in the game

RDNA desktop didn't come out until mid-2019, that was the only thing AMD had.

Anyways I'm pretty sure Vega cards were one of the things that made Stadia possible. AMD put those out right before the 2017 crypto crash, they sucked for everything but mining crypto, and AMD ended up sitting on a ton of excess stock. I always figured that Google decided to do Stadia because they could get a sweet deal on a load of vega cards to run it. Of all the things that they cheaped out on, that was the totally excusable one. If they hadn't hosed up everything *else* and Stadia had actually gone somewhere, it would have been easy to upgrade them.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

FuturePastNow posted:

he acts the same way with every Dell or HP he's touched. He really doesn't "get" mass produced OEM systems.

He’s probably give them less stick if they did’t cut basically every possible corner, ever.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Klyith posted:

RDNA desktop didn't come out until mid-2019, that was the only thing AMD had.

Anyways I'm pretty sure Vega cards were one of the things that made Stadia possible. AMD put those out right before the 2017 crypto crash, they sucked for everything but mining crypto, and AMD ended up sitting on a ton of excess stock. I always figured that Google decided to do Stadia because they could get a sweet deal on a load of vega cards to run it. Of all the things that they cheaped out on, that was the totally excusable one. If they hadn't hosed up everything *else* and Stadia had actually gone somewhere, it would have been easy to upgrade them.

Haven't watched the teardown vid yet but one thing stadia had was multiple GPUs in a system using PCIe switches. They had a card with a x16 gen4 interface to a switch to 2 x16 GPUs. So I think in the racks themselves they had a lot more GPUs per host, the devkit is probably like one of the instances worth of GPU power, or something like that.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Kerbtree posted:

He’s probably give them less stick if they did’t cut basically every possible corner, ever.

A case full of tool-less greebles so you can replace a PSU in under 1 minute isn't cut corners. That stuff costs more money than the cable routing tie-downs and 50 different fan mounting points and other "conveniences" in the average consumer case.

Steve is being hyperbolic about it because he wants to make sure his audience knows why an OEM system is bad for anyone with enough aptitude to swap out parts in their own machine. Because that's cheaper and better for reducing waste etc. But that case is actually really nice for its intended purpose. It's highly serviceable even though nothing is replaceable. If you are an IT guy maintaining 100s of workstations in an office, that lenovo workstation is very nice.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
One of Steve's bugaboos is his obsession with standardized stuff and re-using things forever, unless it's something he personally finds cool. It makes a ton of sense for consumer hardware to be standardized, but commercial hardware you just care about being able to swap things easily and secure replacements as needed.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Kerbtree posted:

Workstations not made from standard parts have far more investment behind than a run of the mill atx case+innards. If a workstation fails, it's real money gone so a field tech must be able to replace everything with a onsite visit (up to 4hrs from SR opening if you got the cash for full coverage) and the more time the tech takes to repair, the more cash the oem pays. Also the "this is a one time usable part and you should feel bad about it" spiel gets kinda dishonest when every single modular psu has their own non-interchangeably wires, which steve's rarely rants on.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Dec 8, 2022

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

I was tickled pink when he was impressed by the board layout diagram on the inside of the case cover.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I thought the socketed PSU was extremely cool

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I thought the socketed PSU was extremely cool

I thought this too and would be totally into this being a wider standard thing, especially for ITX motherboards.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

SlowBloke posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgK38sg1ws4

looking forward to jayz2cent's stadia dev machine video where he argues that google just needed to "stand their ground"

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
It looks like LTT were actually in touch with the Stadia developer that sent them their system so they were able to get a lot of documentation and other information about developing for Stadia that Steve didn't get (since he purchased his system off a random auction listing), some of which Linus shares in their video.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Kerbtree posted:

as somebody who works with HP SFFs, the dumb is coming from this thread

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

kliras posted:

new elden ring weapon just dropped

https://noctua.at/en/nm-sd2
https://noctua.at/en/nm-sd1

the bleed attribute seems like a given

That's just a brown colored Wera screwdriver...

Whitest Russian
Nov 23, 2013
I bought my first YouTuber merch. Pretty decent. I really it was offered in a all black design with just a little GN logo in the corner.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Why does Linus keep plugging blank t-shirts? Those cost $5 at a store

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

He said people were asking for em.

I also suspect, as he's mentioned they are shifting to another printer (local to them if I recall), so they probably ended up with boxes of blanks, and well, do something with em.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

GN desk mats in the EVGA engineering lab

It's a neat video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cr3lsU718Lg

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

maybe people asked how to get blanks of the brand they use for merch? i bought a bunch of blank/solid color shirts from a supplier after i won a free shirt at a brewery and it turned out to be the most comfortable tshirt i'd ever owned (bella + canvas)

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Koskun posted:

I also suspect, as he's mentioned they are shifting to another printer (local to them if I recall), so they probably ended up with boxes of blanks, and well, do something with em.

maybe they post blank tshirts and hope that the editors can photoshop in a design?

I know working IT for fashion the models all wear just plain rear end bikinis then the art people come in and mask out the old bikini and software then inserts the design, so you can have one model pose but like 15 designs.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

Koskun posted:

Could be that people like the channel, want to support the channel financially, but don't like wearing stuff with adverts or designs.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I thought that's what Floatplane was for.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

I thought Floatplane was so that Luke could remain friends with Linus without having to deal with Linus' insane business management practices :v:

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

GN desk mats in the EVGA engineering lab

It's a neat video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cr3lsU718Lg

Nice Totenkopf helmet, bro! Wicked awesome!

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Catpain Slack posted:

Nice Totenkopf helmet, bro! Wicked awesome!

ah yeah didnt see that when i first watched bc i skipped to overclocking related stuff

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

ah yeah didnt see that when i first watched bc i skipped to overclocking related stuff

He pulls it out at one point. It’s a copy of Jeff Hannemann (Slayer guitarist)’s gear. Hannemann was infamous for collecting actual Nazi poo poo.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Arivia posted:

He pulls it out at one point. It’s a copy of Jeff Hannemann (Slayer guitarist)’s gear. Hannemann was infamous for collecting actual Nazi poo poo.

Definitely something you'd want a replica of then

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Belated LTT backpack review now that I have carted it half way across the world:

I got a $60 refund because if you have even the vaguest acquaintance with the channel you know that they are not going to be able to do taxes competently. It's definitely a tech dork backpack for people who are resigned to a lifetime of emptying their entire loving backpack at the TSA 'how are we going to pointlessly gently caress you around today' show, but it's very comfortable, very sturdy and I'm confident my laptop, tablet, camera, lens, etc is absolutely safe.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Shot:
https://twitter.com/compgeke/status/1602870362559066112?s=20&t=-088uSxQtVmsVShsjEa-Vw
Chaser:
https://twitter.com/lazygamereviews/status/1603915833339613184?s=20&t=-088uSxQtVmsVShsjEa-Vw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Clint gonna get knifed in his sleep by a clearly haunted computer.