Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Rhyno posted:

the only absolute:

we will see Margot Robbie as Harley again.

Hell yeah.

Aphrodite posted:

The Rock was also super defensive like this about Baywatch.

He's defensive about all his big films. He's more brand than man at this point and he has to protect that brand as much as he possibly can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Soonmot posted:

I think the MCU just got really loving lucky with Kevin Fiege and their early successes allowed him to push Pearlman away from the MCU theatrical side. If your film universe is going to be overseen by money guys who don't care about the source material, then things like roadmaps and continuity are going to take a back seat to speed and immediate profit. idk, I want them both to be good. Hopefully they leave Gunn alone and we get cool DC movies

The thing about the early MCU that gets forgotten a lot these days is that there wasn't really much of a plan, and things didn't go all that well initially; out of Phase 1, only Iron Man and Avengers were spectacularly successful, and Captain America and Incredible Hulk struggled to break even. But one of the things that Marvel did absolutely right, that DC kept loving up over and over again, is that Marvel built some cushion into their budgets to allow for a certain number of soft "failures" that would let them stay extremely successful as long as they could hit it big every once in a while with an Iron Man or Avengers.

Like, compare 2011's Thor to Black Adam: Thor was also a not particularly well received off-summer blockbuster that failed to crack $450 million. But Thor cost $150 million to make, and was a quiet success, while Black Adam cost $200 million to make, and wasn't. Thor didn't do amazingly well, but it did well enough that no one felt like they were about to be fired if they didn't announce a sudden panicky course correction to shore up future projects.

With DC, it feels like they keep padding out their budgets to the point where every movie has to be a massive success or suddenly everyone is fired and we're starting all over with new actors. It's an insane way to run a business.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

$150m in 2011 is $200m in 2022.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

John Wick of Dogs posted:

It's funny as "anti woke" as some of the online comic book guys can be that hate, for example, Captain Marvel and Brie Larson, and love, for example, anything by Snyder, Snyder's casting of Aquaman is incredibly woke: a native Hawaiian as Aquaman which has traditionally been the whitest dude you ever saw.

Personally I think Momoa rules as Aquaman, I don't ever want to see a traditional Arthur Curry on screen.
Yeah losing this iteration of Aquaman sucks hard. The idea of turning Momoa from Aquaman to Lobo is kinda ridiculous. I mean, it's good casting, but kicking the guy out of one role to possibly put him in another, less recognizable one because you didn't like the universe that the first role was in...just wild.

Meanwhile, what are they even gonna do now with Aquaman and WW? Just do an origin story again, after we just did them?...that is, if they even get films again? What are they gonna do if Aquaman 2 is as crazy successful as the first one was?

What is this, the Sony e-mails?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I have to think they are going to try Green Lantern again at some point soon

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They can right the loving ship if they just give everybody John Stewart Green Lantern like their target audience loving grew up with, instead of the one from the 60s. Cast John Boyega, he rules, he could carry a franchise, he's not over 40 like basically anyone else they cast.

If the studio absolutely requires an old white guy put in Alan Scott as a mentor

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
you dont have to do an origin story movie for superman or wonder woman or aquaman or batman.

people know who these characters are. you can characterize new versions of them in a movie without showing where they came in a two hour origin story. see: mcu spider-man.

hell, even snyder-batman’s origin was a 30 second shot of pearls hitting pavement and then he’s immediately a grumpy middle aged xenophobe.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

They can right the loving ship if they just give everybody John Stewart Green Lantern like their target audience loving grew up with, instead of the one from the 60s. Cast John Boyega, he rules, he could carry a franchise, he's not over 40 like basically anyone else they cast.

If the studio absolutely requires an old white guy put in Alan Scott as a mentor

Or, and hear me out, a buddy cop intergalactic movie with a rookie (Kyle Rayner) and his no nonsense new partner John Stewart. Do it DC.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
this Guy Gardner erasure is BULLSHITERY

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

The thing about the early MCU that gets forgotten a lot these days is that there wasn't really much of a plan, and things didn't go all that well initially; out of Phase 1, only Iron Man and Avengers were spectacularly successful, and Captain America and Incredible Hulk struggled to break even. But one of the things that Marvel did absolutely right, that DC kept loving up over and over again, is that Marvel built some cushion into their budgets to allow for a certain number of soft "failures" that would let them stay extremely successful as long as they could hit it big every once in a while with an Iron Man or Avengers.

Like, compare 2011's Thor to Black Adam: Thor was also a not particularly well received off-summer blockbuster that failed to crack $450 million. But Thor cost $150 million to make, and was a quiet success, while Black Adam cost $200 million to make, and wasn't. Thor didn't do amazingly well, but it did well enough that no one felt like they were about to be fired if they didn't announce a sudden panicky course correction to shore up future projects.

With DC, it feels like they keep padding out their budgets to the point where every movie has to be a massive success or suddenly everyone is fired and we're starting all over with new actors. It's an insane way to run a business.

Marvel seems really tolerant of movies & TV shows that just do well as long as they establish or advance the storyline. Instead of panicking that not every movie is hitting the highs of Infinity War and Endgame they are very patiently making interesting stuff and waiting on story lines and characters to build.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
yeah give us Darkhawk in the MCU you cowards!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
It helps that their experiments are on Disney+.
If a project doesn't do Gangbusters then they can just move on

Rhyno posted:

Lol Guy has Brain Damage.

The first time a studio exec identifies with a cape character :saddowns:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
he got better!

and then Johns did everything he could to erase that

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Kyle and John are the only good lanterns and you all know it

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
The only JL I give a toss about is the JLI so yeah, count me as much rather seeing Guy, G'nort and Kilowog than Hal, John, Kyle or any of those other boring yo-yos. Likewise, Barry Allen can get stuffed, give me Wally any day.

Batman, Supes, the JLI, Firestorm (there are dozens of us, dozens!), and dear old Conjob are pretty much the only DC characters I like. You're never getting me to pay money for Hal Jordan, Barry Allen, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, or Black Adam, hah.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Guy is a lovely violent cop and Kyle's whole gimmick of wow he's an artist he makes all these constructs is dumb, that's literally every green lantern. So what, he likes anime and his girlfriend is dead in a problematic way. I can walk into any GameStop and meet someone of the same description.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

he likes anime and his girlfriend is dead in a problematic way.
I can walk into any GameStop and meet someone of the same description.

:drat:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Obviously he will be appearing as Warrior

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

BrianWilly posted:

Yeah losing this iteration of Aquaman sucks hard. The idea of turning Momoa from Aquaman to Lobo is kinda ridiculous. I mean, it's good casting, but kicking the guy out of one role to possibly put him in another, less recognizable one because you didn't like the universe that the first role was in...just wild.

Meanwhile, what are they even gonna do now with Aquaman and WW? Just do an origin story again, after we just did them?...that is, if they even get films again? What are they gonna do if Aquaman 2 is as crazy successful as the first one was?

What is this, the Sony e-mails?

How many Batman origin stories have been theatrically released? This is just DC's ecosystem.

Though honestly all of Gunn's posting of old JLI pictures, Mr. Terrific, and tweeting about removing the Gorilla limit really leave me hopeful he's just gonna lean into DC's crazy huge back catalog for once. Let's get a fuckin' Detective Chimp movie going. See some Metal Men, or Kamandi, or the Legion of Superheroes, whatever.

As for Henry Cavill, I can't imagine there's any snub or cancelled project big enough to really get him down. He's already richer than god, happy with his hobbies, and if he wants to at any time he can just call up Kevin Feige and say "Put me in whatever" and he'll be in a Sentry or Mr. Sinister or something costume by the end of that month.

theironjef fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Dec 8, 2022

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Everytime a new Batman or Superman comes out with an origin story, I will be there in the middle of the theater on opening night, and loudly and sincerely shout "So THAT'S how it happened!" the instant Thomas hits the ground or Krypton explodes.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Everytime a new Batman or Superman comes out with an origin story, I will be there in the middle of the theater on opening night, and loudly and sincerely shout "So THAT'S how it happened!" the instant Thomas hits the ground or Krypton explodes.

I'm still waiting for the prequel to the MCU Spider-Man where they explain how the heck he got those weird powers.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

We almost got that. It was gonna be some D+ cartoon! Then it mutated into a whole other alternate universe thing where it was gonna have like Nico Minoru and stuff in it. Then it was cancelled. What a thrill ride!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The word is actually that season 1 will still air, but that may be it.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Well Cavill can't just get put in a Mr. Sinister costume because that role is still being held for Jon Hamm

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

theironjef posted:

How many Batman origin stories have been theatrically released? This is just DC's ecosystem.

One.

Well, two if you count Mask of the Phantasm . But as for films that are the Batman origin, just really Begins is. Batman 89, The Batman and BvS all start with Batman as an already extant presence.

As for how many times we've seen a parents death flashback. Well...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Guy is a lovely violent cop and Kyle's whole gimmick of wow he's an artist he makes all these constructs is dumb, that's literally every green lantern. So what, he likes anime and his girlfriend is dead in a problematic way. I can walk into any GameStop and meet someone of the same description.

Guy is actually a former social worker who was a genuinely good person until he suffered immense trauma while trying to help people. His plot since then has been trying to deal with the trauma.

Meanwhile Hal Jordan is the guy who was 'the conservative one' even for the Justice League and responded to Guy's seeming death by loving his girlfriend.

Hal is the absolute worst but people want to fetishize him as The Good One rather than remembering that his stories *in context* are about a dumbass fuckup air force jock who screwed up tons. We can't get that Hal though because Geoff Johns.

Kyle is defined by using his ring to make imaginative impossible things. Hal makes things that are real and familiar and John makes structurally sound plausible things because he is an architect. Guy just does whatever comes to mind but that is usually blunt force

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Dec 8, 2022

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I know Kyle is defined by how creative he is with the ring but his whole deal was that he was just some random unemployed 20 something year old who stumbled on a blue dwarf in an alleyway and who gave him a ring and said be a superhero. He was always a bit reluctant and naïve.
Also I think the Blue Beetle movie is still happening. Let's just have that be the hard breaking off point/new universe launching movie instead of the Flash.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

ImpAtom posted:

John makes structurally sound plausible things because he is an architect.

The idea that John thinks about every nut and bolt and bracket in his constructs is absolutely excellent characterization that really would resonate with people. But, from what I remember, the cartoon that most people remember him from had him doing almost the opposite. He's all beams and bubbles after a lengthy military career.

It's part of what made the episode where they get turned into kids and John goes nuts with giant tongs and buckets and a mech (plus giving himself Kyle's mask) that much better.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's the part everyone ignores about JL.

The reason everyone knows him also made him boring as gently caress and the lamest Green Lantern to appear.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Inkspot posted:

The idea that John thinks about every nut and bolt and bracket in his constructs is absolutely excellent characterization that really would resonate with people. But, from what I remember, the cartoon that most people remember him from had him doing almost the opposite. He's all beams and bubbles after a lengthy military career.

It's part of what made the episode where they get turned into kids and John goes nuts with giant tongs and buckets and a mech (plus giving himself Kyle's mask) that much better.

Yeah, JLU made him a soldier which made sense for the cartoon but does lose a bit of what made him special in the comics.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Just do a Green Lantern Corps movie so you can have everyone appear, easy.

Also please make sure to have Jessica appear in it thanks.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
https://twitter.com/jamesgunn/status/1600920132691189760?s=46&t=KYYay6CMpRSsV_-D21W-Cw

Thread

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Sounds about right. But it’ll only work if they actually stick with it for a decade and well..

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
"I'm going to provide you with some clarity. Some of it is true, some of it is half true, some of it isn't true, and some of it we haven't decided yet. We're going in a new direction, but I can't say what just yet. I hope this clarifies everything."

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

"I'm going to provide you with some clarity. Some of it is true, some of it is half true, some of it isn't true, and some of it we haven't decided yet. We're going in a new direction, but I can't say what just yet. I hope this clarifies everything."
He's speaking like a real hollywood exec already!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
If Johns still involved with the DC films? I really hope Gunn is allowed to change the locks on the offices so he's not allowed in anymore.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Ok so hear me out, Stewart is the new recruit to Space Force(GL Corp) under the wing of veteran Jordan who has become more jaded and right wing as the job has gone on. By the end of the movie Jordan goes oldschool Paralax facist and Stewart has to defeat him with architecture or whatever. Also Gardner is a dickhead boysclub cop who harasses the new guy but is like "Oh man, you're stuck with Ol' Hard rear end, good luck" but helps fight an over powered final boss Jordan in the end.

Sequel can be Stewart reluctantly taking Rayner on as partner and worrying about not becoming what Jordan became.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Isn't that basically comics lore now, except with Hal in the new recruit role, with Sinestro as his mentor?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Scrap the corps as much as possible imo and make it about the individual. Otherwise you're just making a cop movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Jump straight to the Rainbow poo poo. Give me my big screen Saint Walker