Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Hell yeah it does, you can also damage that dome city by plunging through the frozen surface of a body of water to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I dropped my metal Mad Cat mk2 on the floor and now have to do a ton of bending bits back into place, regluing, and repainting.

I'm debating if just dunking the whole thing in acetone and starting from square one would be best.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Sounds like you've got some authentic Battle DamageTM

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Good chance to try and have a a fire and a plume of smoke coming out of some part of it.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

"Hetzers done hosed mah mech up..."

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Yeah, battle damage would be my best option outside of a full repaint. It's nearly all white so any spot-repaint would be pretty obvious.

edit: here's what it looked like before the tumble

Floppychop fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Dec 7, 2022

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Stripping acrylic paint from IWM metal minis is trivially easy, a little acetone bath and that paint will scrub right off with a toothbrush in a few minutes.

You deserve to have minis you enjoy looking at. If you want to repaint it, you should repaint it.

I feel that way about even painted minis, I'm probably going to strip and repaint my Sea Foxes because I don't like my original color choices.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I’ve got TacOps as a PDF and it’s just a fun book to read through. Some great stuff there, like mechs exploding into smithereens if hit in the engine enough times in one turn.

Floppychop posted:

Yeah, battle damage would be my best option outside of a full repaint. It's nearly all white so any spot-repaint would be pretty obvious.

edit: here's what it looked like before the tumble

Holy poo poo what is that tiny rear end mech on the right. I need it, it is my new favorite. What a cutie!

(Also fantastic paint jobs!)

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

a cyborg mug posted:

I’ve got TacOps as a PDF and it’s just a fun book to read through. Some great stuff there, like mechs exploding into smithereens if hit in the engine enough times in one turn.

Holy poo poo what is that tiny rear end mech on the right. I need it, it is my new favorite. What a cutie!

(Also fantastic paint jobs!)

It's a Roadrunner. Fast as hell 15 tonner.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
That goddamned Mech. I spent years trying to convince people it existed, because it came in a free handout I got from a FASA booth at Origins when they came to Dallas one year. It never got printed in a TRO though (and I lost the handout), so I tried to convince other gamers that there actually was a 15 ton Clan Mech that ran 14/21 and they thought I was making it up. (this is obviously way way way before Sarna)

I just remembered, that handout is also where I first learned they were putting aliens in Battletech

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
SQUAWK!

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Comstar posted:

Has anyone ever played with ALL the optional rules including building their own mechs and playing with the campaign rules? Or played in a Tournament with all the "Tournament" rules?

Was it worth it, and did it get any faster or was it as slow as I suspect it will be?

You have to define which optional rules are allowed. Trust me.

Otherwise you will summon the one grognard rules lawyer jerk weasel who digs up obscure and insane things from one issue of Dragon magazine from 1980 and insists on using it...

Brad is still not allowed in any game shop, convention or gamer's house in the greater Houston area.

ever

for any reason

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

PhotoKirk posted:

You have to define which optional rules are allowed. Trust me.

We all the current catalyst games books.

Ok not including the galaxy at war rules for a galaxy wide war played at the company level.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

That's still highly risky unless it was specifically an exercise to see who could outbullshit who.

For instance, a player could find or build a warship that fits in the BV allotment and sit back and orbitally bombard you. They could field a company of offboard UM-AIVs with Davy Crockett nukes. They could build a mobile structure with thousands of armor points bristling with Clan Large Pulse Lasers.

Even milder stuff like someone insisting on using the morale and panic rules before fielding lots ofincendiary weapons - even an elite mechwarrior has a chance to panic when hit with infernos. Or like, iATMs. just iATMs.

And who cares about bullshit, many optional rules add complexity that slows down the game. If you ask for all optional rules to be active you need three sets of maps and a GM to play double blind, and you need to keep track of terrain factor for all hexes - even clear hexes are slightly damaged by units moving through them - and don't forget about adding whole phases to the game for doing the spread of smoke and fire that will inevitably break out when weapons fire happens near trees.

Those things are trivial when a computer does it in MegaMek, but gently caress doing that at the table - I'll stick to Total Warfare.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Just in case anyone was wondering if the Alpha Strike box was worth it: In addition to the brand new Wraith and Pouncer, only four of the 'Mechs in the box are old sculpts. All the rest have gotten new variants.

The four 'Mechs that didn't get anything were the Phoenix Hawk, Warhammer, Timber Wolf, and Nova (the last one's a pity, the Nova could've used something).

Everything else is an entirely new variant:
- AS7-S Atlas (no visual difference from the front but it's got rear-mounted SRMs)
- AR7-5R Archer (large laser variant)
- Warhawk C (no missile launcher, and front-flamer!)
- WSP-3W Wasp (double-barreled small pulse lasers and left torso/left leg small lasers)
- LCT3M Locust (pew pew pew small lasers)
- BJ-3 Blackjack (PPC / energy boat variant)
- Fire Moth D (all medium lasers )

Fun fact: the Blackjack and Archer are tied for the largest number of unique non-hero variants with three each. Including hero 'Mechs the Archer comes out on top with four (Normal Archer, Morgan Kell's reposed normal Archer, Wolf Dragoons Archer, Large Laser Archer), and including re-poses the Timberwolf ties the Archer (Timberwolf Prime, Wolf's Dragoons re-posed Timberwolf Prime, the Timberwolf TC, and the Timberwolf Pryde)

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Dec 10, 2022

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Are you counting the resin ones from Catalyst? They have a Timberwolf TC.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I was counting the TC, I just called it the 'S' because I'm stupid.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Why was I not informed of this level of awesomeness!

Battletech: the CGI movie. Well, 9 or so minutes of it so far. With Tex I think doing one of the voices?

Only thing I didn't like is the too quick passing of Reactor Online, Sensors Online, Weapons Online, All Systems Nominal.

(edit, oh, it was 9 months ago. Hope we get more of it).

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

Comstar posted:

Why was I not informed of this level of awesomeness!

Battletech: the CGI movie. Well, 9 or so minutes of it so far. With Tex I think doing one of the voices?

Only thing I didn't like is the too quick passing of Reactor Online, Sensors Online, Weapons Online, All Systems Nominal.

(edit, oh, it was 9 months ago. Hope we get more of it).

Love that series, and one of my favorite parts is when the AC20 shell punches through the J. Edgar. Instead of your typical Hollywood Movie giant explosion, you instead see the thing glide to a stop and sparks and flames burst out of it as the ammo inside cooks off. Makes it feel like actual military hardware being destroyed instead of a hollywood prop.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

PoptartsNinja posted:

Just in case anyone was wondering if the Alpha Strike box was worth it: In addition to the brand new Wraith and Pouncer, only four of the 'Mechs in the box are old sculpts. All the rest have gotten new variants.

The four 'Mechs that didn't get anything were the Phoenix Hawk, Warhammer, Timber Wolf, and Nova (the last one's a pity, the Nova could've used something).

Everything else is an entirely new variant:
- AS7-S Atlas (no visual difference from the front but it's got rear-mounted SRMs)
- AR7-5R Archer (large laser variant)
- Warhawk C (no missile launcher, and front-flamer!)
- WSP-3W Wasp (double-barreled small pulse lasers and left torso/left leg small lasers)
- LCT3M Locust (pew pew pew small lasers)
- BJ-3 Blackjack (PPC / energy boat variant)
- Fire Moth D (all medium lasers )

Fun fact: the Blackjack and Archer are tied for the largest number of unique non-hero variants with three each. Including hero 'Mechs the Archer comes out on top with four (Normal Archer, Morgan Kell's reposed normal Archer, Wolf Dragoons Archer, Large Laser Archer), and including re-poses the Timberwolf ties the Archer (Timberwolf Prime, Wolf's Dragoons re-posed Timberwolf Prime, the Timberwolf TC, and the Timberwolf Pryde)

Which one is the Timberwolf Pryde? I’m trying to remember where each of those came from. The prime and Wolfs Dragoons are pretty obvious, but I’m blanking on the rest.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Which one is the Timberwolf Pryde? I’m trying to remember where each of those came from. The prime and Wolfs Dragoons are pretty obvious, but I’m blanking on the rest.

Pryde is from the Legendary Mechwarriors box, the TC is the premium posable model

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
To add a little more detail: It's basically a Timberwolf Prime with some minor changes to the torso guns and jump jet ports on the back, so 3 of the 4 Timber Wolf minis are basically the Prime configuration.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Alpha Strike question as part of some last minute gift shopping; is Commander Edition still the current rules, or has it been obsoleted by the box set?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Rulebooks will always be more complete than the box rules, but the box rules will have everything you need to play basic 'Mech vs. 'Mech games.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

LaSquida posted:

Alpha Strike question as part of some last minute gift shopping; is Commander Edition still the current rules, or has it been obsoleted by the box set?

ASCE is the core rule book. The rules in the AS box set are a simplified "Quick-Start" version of the ASCE core: just 40 pages, designed to get your feet wet before moving onto the full book rules.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Is there anywhere list or a way to search for mechs by different types engines, gyros and so on? Like a list of mechs with IS XL engines for example. I have tried the master unit list and MegaMekLab with no luck, since those do not have engines or gyros in the search criterion lists.

Of course I could manually search from the .mtf mech files but that feels like an effort.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Use advanced search in megamek

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Yes I did try that. Can you tell me how exactly?

I cannot see the engines and gyros in the equipment list or anywhere else. Besides the equipment and weapons lists you can only search by Walk MP, Jump MP, Armor amount, Cockpit type, Internal structure type and Armor type. And of course by unit types and tech levels.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Xotl posted:

ASCE is the core rule book. The rules in the AS box set are a simplified "Quick-Start" version of the ASCE core: just 40 pages, designed to get your feet wet before moving onto the full book rules.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Rulebooks will always be more complete than the box rules, but the box rules will have everything you need to play basic 'Mech vs. 'Mech games.

Thanks! My wife likes shooting me with tanks, so this is very important.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

LaSquida posted:

Thanks! My wife likes shooting me with tanks, so this is very important.

Combat vehicles are very good in Alpha Strike. They have to roll for motive damage whenever they take any hit, but in exchange their critical hit table is the most forgiving.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I was going to go to Magdeburg on Saturday to take part in my first ever BT tournament but now I have the god drat ’rona. Boo!

There were going to be Unseen miniatures as prizes as well!

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
My Alpha Strike box is in but I won't be able to get it until January. How sad.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Greetings fellow mech warriors.

Playing the HBS campaigns and expansions recently made me nostalgic for the tabletop game, which was the first true nerd game I cut my teeth on back in the 90's and my gateway into a world of little pewter elves and stuff.

I didn't have any duders or maps or anything after a bunch of moves and life changes but the TGSS hooked me back up and now I'm gonna get back in a bit and introduce my kids. Got the core set and a few IS lance boxes and a Brother printer ready to print out little bubble sheets, along with a resin printer that can add another mech here or there. Skimming the core book I'm surprised just how little has changed in the basic rules in decades. I suppose it was always functional and the things that were fiddly, like damage tracking, were fiddly in a satisfying way.

Maybe because my kind of dickish friend introduced me to the game playing ton-for-ton instead of using BV and played clan mechs while I used IS, I've always been a 3025 IS Grognard who liked the classics best

Gonna let my kiddo read the primer and pick a fav. house/company because she gets into deep lore and stuff with her D&D brain. We'll paint some up in House colors, even ordered some waterslide decal transfers. :spergin: I used to be all about the Davion/Kurita stuff but I think Laio might be what I'm about these days.

Any must-haves? I remember enjoying a mechwarrior campaign that was super fun to pass the time back in the barracks a million years ago and I think she'd like a Mercenary Company style thing, but I remember reading that the current RPG system is ridiculously Battlelords/phoenix command level complex?

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
There are two current RPGs, one spreadsheet simulator and one more modern narrative system. I haven't been able to play either, but I've read them both so I can offer a little bit of insight.

"A Time of War" is the old-school, hyper-detailed point-buy system. It's absurdly crunchy and building a character with the lifepath system took me over an hour and basically requires a spreadsheet. Gameplay itself doesn't seem insanely complicated, as you're rolling 2d6, adding your bonus, and comparing it to a number for most activities. Mech combat is handled entirely by regular old Battletech and the characters are designed to be transferrable between the two systems. Personal combat reminded me of Cyberpunk in my brief read-through, but I was more interested in character creation to be perfectly frank so I can't offer a whole lot of comment on it.

"Mechwarrior Destiny" is a more modern narrative game that takes inspiration from things like Apocalypse World and FATE. Character creation is quick and the gameplay is designed to be fast and cinematic. Personal combat is decided in a couple of rolls and the mech combat is a halfway point between Alpha Strike and Classic Battletech. It's supposed to be pretty good and there's a fan-made hack to expand it into a full wargame. Destiny uses "cues" which are less well defined than I would like but are basically FATE aspects; statements or facts about characters/objects/scenes that you can refer to for gameplay purposes. Interestingly, Destiny kind of expects either a rotating GM or even no GM: I think the designers assume you're going to add this to an existing Battletech campaign/group.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
The odds of a Battletech movie or series have gone up a tiny amount with Amazon signing an agreement to work on a40K one with Superman and Games Workshop.

The obvious thing would be a Game of Thrones...but it seems to me the 1st and 2nd Succession war are a tad too much, and the 3rd is too spread out? It's not over a small timespan and the scale seems too big.

Keep it small to one side of the great houses...maybe near Space Texas and Space Las Vegas...Oh dammit I've recreated the HBS game haven't I. Though in the main game we never actually got a sense of the other nations or why they worked the way they did.

Hell you probably wouldn't want Mechs vs Mech's much- they would be big set piece battles that only happen once a season.

Not sure who makes the best bad guy - I can't see the Capellen's really...working very well these days.

Maybe go North instead and have the birth of the Raselhague with the pirates to the north...and then THEY show up a few seasons later to make a very dramatic entrance.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
I would watch a FedCom civil war or Amaris uprising show and that's about it

Volkova III
Jan 5, 2021
Burn Notice, but it's about a DMI agent on Solaris VII.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Marx Headroom posted:

I would watch a FedCom civil war or Amaris uprising show and that's about it

The Amaris Uprising would basically be a reverse Battlestar Galactica

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Fans always want media to focus on their favorite piece of universe lore (I know this from Destiny fans) but almost none of it would make a compelling story to tell to people not already invested in the IP.

To do Battletech right I think you need to find a compelling, compact personal story that lets you pull in broader parts of the universe. Wolves on the Border (possibly a bit less Orientalist) is I think the closest thing the IP has to that. One season of the Dragoons taking a contract with the Combine, politics breaking things down, and Minobu paying the price. You bring in the mystery of the Dragoons' origins as a thread to follow later.