Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Zamujasa posted:

I hope that Trump and his merry band of morons depressing GOP turnout by calling every election a fraud continues to pay dividends like this. Just endless :lol:

Works out well right up until it doesn't. I would rather not have the party of armed, hateful lunatics telling itself democracy is broken in the country. Their idea of repairing it probably conflicts with my idea of repairing it and, also, the continued existence of myself and those I love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Crossposting for those who stipped reading the election thread, but:

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1600333374220124161?t=8KXMYbTqAF8RVxPppp15FA&s=19

...Laura must have had the cold hard reality set in that Donnie isn't going to leave his wife for her.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Griner swapped for an arms dealer, she's coming home.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/dec/08/last-surviving-dambuster-johnny-johnson-dies-aged-101

The last Dambuster has passed away.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Brittney Griner was released apparently:

https://www.cbsnews.com/live-updates/brittney-griner-release-russia-prisoner-swap-viktor-bout/

Is this Russia politely asking us to tell Ukraine to stop bombing things near Moscow?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ASAPI posted:

https://www.cbsnews.com/live-updates/brittney-griner-release-russia-prisoner-swap-viktor-bout/

Is this Russia politely asking us to tell Ukraine to stop bombing things near Moscow?

I don't see that Ukraine has anything to do with this

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

ASAPI posted:

It's for releasing Viktor Bout. You know, the Nic Cage movie arms dealer

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

a minor celebrity caught with about a gram of cannabis oil was traded for an international arms dealer named "merchant of death" so I don't see this as Russia doing anyone a favor

except maybe the arms merchant, I guess

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

ASAPI posted:

The exact answer is: who knows?

Biden/sports world has wanted Griner back for a very long time and Russia wasn't listening. Possibly a war thing, possibly an American election thing, possibly a Russian-internal thing. Too bad Whelan didn't come back, but the family gets it and/or is still pissed:

https://twitter.com/NickKalmanFN/status/1600847157216522240?t=feBE6HI0lrmX_jKRo0LuuQ&s=19

https://twitter.com/margbrennan/status/1600850180340944896?t=M4A2bGZQPop5vkOWo0hP8A&s=19

None of this is in the United States control, basically.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

facialimpediment posted:

The exact answer is: who knows?

Biden/sports world has wanted Griner back for a very long time and Russia wasn't listening. Possibly a war thing, possibly an American election thing, possibly a Russian-internal thing. Too bad Whelan didn't come back, but the family gets it and/or is still pissed:

https://twitter.com/NickKalmanFN/status/1600847157216522240?t=feBE6HI0lrmX_jKRo0LuuQ&s=19

https://twitter.com/margbrennan/status/1600850180340944896?t=M4A2bGZQPop5vkOWo0hP8A&s=19

None of this is in the United States control, basically.

The timing of this is what caught me off guard. Just yesterday (maybe the day before?) we were talking about how Ukraine totally dunked on a Russian airbase. Now, we conduct some crazy lopsided prisoner trade. I'm really curious about this one.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I missed the anarchy train :smith:

Unrelated, did you know that mutual aid is an anarchy reaction to the government being unable or unwilling to do anything? I wonder if there are others ways to directly act on problems.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

ASAPI posted:

The timing of this is what caught me off guard. Just yesterday (maybe the day before?) we were talking about how Ukraine totally dunked on a Russian airbase. Now, we conduct some crazy lopsided prisoner trade. I'm really curious about this one.

I think it's the US keeping diplomatic channels open for future negotiations and has nothing to do with the current state of the war.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

ASAPI posted:

Yeah this was a complete shock to me, even with my political/sports focus - came out of nowhere today.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

ElMaligno posted:

I missed the anarchy train :smith:

Unrelated, did you know that mutual aid is an anarchy reaction to the government being unable or unwilling to do anything? I wonder if there are others ways to directly act on problems.

Depends entirely on the problem. One of the drivers behind the formation of the modern nation state were problems that previous forms of government failed to address.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

psydude posted:

I think it's the US keeping diplomatic channels open for future negotiations and has nothing to do with the current state of the war.

Here i thought america didnt negotiate with terrorists

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

My Spirit Otter posted:

Never trust anyone who has to loudly declare what they will do

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

My Spirit Otter posted:

That's only for groups not currently on payroll

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Never trust anyone who has to loudly declare what they will do

So youre saying i shouldnt loudly announce when i am leaving to take a poo poo?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

My Spirit Otter posted:

So youre saying i shouldnt loudly announce when i am leaving to take a poo poo?

Of course not, thats what they want me to believe! I'll do my own research thank you very much

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status...t-twitter-hq%2F

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

You, uh, generally shouldn't openly verify what you're being investigated for.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

You generally shouldn't pay 44 billion for a website for a website that doesn't have a long history of making money but here we are

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

loving :lol:

He has full boomer brain, doesn’t he? I CANT OVERWORK MY FEW REMAINING EMPLOYEES AND GET THEM TO SLEEP ON PREMISES BECAUSE OF YOUR STUPID BIG GUBMINT OVERREACH AND OH BY THE WAY AN INFANT OD’D ON FENTANYL!!!!!1111

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

What's the pinnacle of privilege? Is it not knowing what laws you're breaking and also not understanding why any of that matters?

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Oh wow, so surprised (not):

https://twitter.com/bennyjohnson/status/1600858803313983489?s=20&t=lYO19rKQ42eg7ycNUCFfAQ

https://twitter.com/TomiLahren/status/1600854143383392256?s=20&t=lYO19rKQ42eg7ycNUCFfAQ

https://twitter.com/MattWalshBlog/status/1600864195897090054?s=20&t=lYO19rKQ42eg7ycNUCFfAQ

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Are you still a marine if you have a bad conduct discharge?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Flikken posted:

Once a Marine always a Marine unless you assassinate the President.

Kamel
Apr 23, 2010
Didn't Whelan get booted from the Marines with a bcd?

edit: bah, too slow.

Still, love to defend the shady "corporate security" guy over someone jailed for being an American in Russia.

Kamel fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Dec 8, 2022

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Flikken posted:

Can you even call yourself a “real” Marine if you don’t have some kind of history of bad conduct in the service?

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Stultus Maximus posted:

Oh, did they figure out the CIA/2nd shooter was also a jarhead?

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Can you even call yourself a “real” Marine if you don’t have some kind of history of bad conduct in the service?

Was gonna also say this lol

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Building inspectors: well-known for cracking down on drug dealers.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Stultus Maximus posted:

That's when you become the marine.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Whelan got a BCD and was acting as an intelligence asset. He's being held for espionage, not loving drugs. I hate people

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I never understood how a Marine court-martialled for larceny and identity theft with a BCD managed to get the job he did (international head of security for Borg-Warner).

Man must interview like nobody ever has

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

GD_American posted:

I never understood how a Marine court-martialled for larceny and identity theft with a BCD managed to get the job he did (international head of security for Borg-Warner).

It's all networking, not skill.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

BadOptics posted:

Was gonna also say this lol

Lol

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

GD_American posted:

I don’t know the guys career, but if he was known by the right senior people, and interviews like a motherfucker, it goes from extremely unlikely to really possible, quick.
It’s all about your network.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
FTC suing to stop Microsoft from acquiring Activision Blizzard.

The New York Times posted:

The Federal Trade Commission, in one of the most aggressive actions taken by federal regulators in decades to check the power of the tech industry’s giants, on Thursday sued to block Microsoft’s $69 billion acquisition of the video game maker Activision Blizzard.

The F.T.C. said in its lawsuit that the deal would harm consumers because Microsoft could use Activision’s blockbuster games like Call of Duty to lure gamers from rivals.

The agency’s commissioners voted three to one to approve filing the suit.

The decision is a blow to the expansion of Microsoft’s video game business, which has become its most important consumer unit and topped $16 billion in annual sales during the most recent fiscal year. For the F.T.C. chair, Lina Khan, a legal scholar who rocketed to fame after she wrote an article criticizing Amazon, the lawsuit will test whether her aggressive plan to rein in the power of Big Tech can survive in the courts.

Microsoft’s acquisition of Activision would be the largest consumer technology deal since AOL bought Time Warner two decades ago. It would marry Microsoft’s Xbox console and game streaming service, which many consider gaming’s future, with Activision titles like Call of Duty and Candy Crush. The scale of those games is enormous: Activision says it has almost 370 million active users each month.

“Microsoft has already shown that it can and will withhold content from its gaming rivals,” said Holly Vedova, director of the FTC’s Bureau of Competition, in a statement. “Today we seek to stop Microsoft from gaining control over a leading independent game studio and using it to harm competition in multiple dynamic and fast-growing gaming markets.”

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

So withholding content is only a problem when Microsoft does it? That's literally been the selling point since the ps3, "we hold sections of the game hostage for years"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Apparently the DOJ wants the courts to throw contempt at the Trump team :lol:

The Washington Post posted:

Justice Department asks judge to hold Trump team in contempt over Mar-a-Lago case
The request came after months of mounting frustration from the Justice Department with the former president’s lawyers.
Prosecutors have urged a federal judge to hold Donald Trump’s office in contempt of court for failing to fully comply with a May subpoena to return all classified documents in his possession, according to people familiar with the matter — a sign of how contentious the private talks have become over whether the former president still holds any secret papers.
In recent days, Justice Department lawyers have asked U.S. District Court Judge Beryl A. Howell to hold Trump’s office in contempt, according to the people, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to describe sealed court proceedings. But the judge has not yet held a hearing or ruled on the request, they said.
The request came after months of mounting frustration from the Justice Department with Trump’s team — frustration that spiked in June after the former president’s lawyers provided assurances that a diligent search had been conducted for classified documents at his Mar-a-Lago Club and residence. But the FBI amassed evidence suggesting — and later confirmed through a court-authorized search — that many more remained.
One of the key areas of disagreement centers on the Trump legal team’s repeated refusal to designate a custodian of records to sign a document attesting that all classified materials have been returned to the federal government, according to two of these people. The Justice Department has repeatedly sought an unequivocal sworn written assurance from Trump’s team that all such documents have been returned, and Trump’s team has been unwilling to designate a custodian of records to sign such a statement while also giving assurances that they have handed documents back.

The precise wording of the filing could not be determined because it remains under seal. Trump is under investigation for three potential crimes: mishandling classified documents, obstruction, and destruction of government records.

Trump spokesman Steven Cheung said the former president’s lawyers “continue to cooperative and transparent.” He added: “This is a political witch hunt unlike anything like this country has ever seen.” He did not answer specific questions for the story.

A Justice Department spokesman declined to comment.

Trump’s team has searched a number of his other properties in recent weeks, in response to the DOJ concerns and instructions from the judge, and turned over two items with classification markings to the government. Trump’s advisers told the FBI the items were found in a storage facility used by the former president in West Palm Beach, Fla. Other Trump properties searched in recent weeks include his Bedminster golf course in New Jersey and his home and office at Trump Tower in Manhattan. People familiar with those searches by a private firm say no classified documents were found at those locations.

Trump’s side has taken the position that such a request is unreasonable — that no lawyer could sign such a blanket certification in good faith or advise any client to do so, as opposed to attesting that a search of a given location has been completed in good faith. Some of Trump’s lawyers are also wary of making any claim under oath based on Trump’s word alone, two people familiar with the matter said.
The government’s request for a finding of contempt underscores the fundamental distrust that has existed since the spring between the government trying to retrieve sensitive documents and a former president whose responses have proven untrustworthy. That distrust has led to a legal impasse in sealed papers over what constitutes a complete search for classified papers.

When the government first issued a subpoena in May for any documents with classified markings, the official recipient of that subpoena was the office of the former president’s custodian of records — a role Trump’s team ultimately told the government was held by attorney Christina Bobb.

In June, Bobb signed an attestation that a diligent search had been conducted for any such material, but the FBI collected convincing evidence that was not the case. The government got a court-authorized search warrant in August which turned up 103 more classified documents at Mar-a-Lago that had not been turned over in response to the subpoena.

But after months of back-and-forth, the core question has still not been answered to the Justice Department’s satisfaction: are there any more classified items still in the former president’s possession? Prosecutors, having been burned before by empty promises, now want unqualified vows from someone in the official role of the custodian of records that there are no more classified skeletons in any of Trump’s closets.

Prosecutors have asked the judge to find Trump’s side in contempt as long as none of his advisers are willing to assume the role of custodian of records responsible for a complete answer to the question, these people said. In recent months, Bobb has publicly said she is not doing legal work related to the documents case but only advising Trump’s PAC on election issues.
If the judge were to agree, the most likely scenario would be a daily fine until the demands of the contempt motion are met. How large of a fine, or who would be forced to pay it, would be up to the judge.
It is not uncommon for large organizations to designate a records custodian who can take formal legal responsibility for the company or entity’s files. In Trump’s case, the subpoena sent in May was formally directed to his office’s custodian of records. No individual was named in the request.

Prosecutors have said in court filings that after Trump’s lawyers received the May subpoena, they asked for additional time to comply with it before agreeing to meet on June 3 to turn over records. The night before the scheduled meeting, Bobb — a lawyer and former One America News host — was called by Trump adviser Boris Epshteyn and asked to join lawyer Evan Corcoran at the meeting with Justice Department lawyers, according to a person familiar with the account she later gave to the FBI. Bobb had not previously met Corcoran.

At the June 3 meeting, Bobb gave the Justice Department a letter that began by saying she had been designated to serve as the office’s custodian of records, for purposes of the subpoena, according to people familiar with the conversation. The certification, with a redacted name, has been included in court filings. The letter said Bobb had been told a “diligent search” had been conducted of boxes “moved from the White House to Florida,” and that all documents responsive to the subpoena were being turned over.

The person close to Bobb has said she told the FBI she was skeptical of the letter and insisted on adding a disclaimer saying it was based on information provided to her by others.

Last month, Attorney General Merrick Garland appointed a special counsel to take over the investigation into the classified documents, along with an investigation into Trump’s attempts to overturn the 2020 election. In recent weeks, a number of Trump advisers have appeared in front of a grand jury hearing evidence in the classified documents case.
Stephen Ryan, a white-collar criminal defense attorney, said it is usually not difficult to figure out who should serve as the custodian of records for a company. “In the normal course of business, if you’re a real business, you have records and you have custodians of those records that you can call on,” he said. “It’s the person who holds custody of the records as part of their day-to-day activites.”

In this case, however, there is no representative of Trump who has actually maintained control of the records. “The department is in effect asking for something that doesn’t exist,” he said. “This is an extraordinary problem that is factually relatively unique.”

At this point, he said, “no one wants to put their head in the custodian noose.”