Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

mellonbread posted:

Eclipse Phase had a thing where you could get bonus actions in a turn by upgrading your "speed", but that was meant to represent improving your reflexes rather than actually making your body's movement speed higher. So if you did any movement during a turn, you had to pro-rate it across each speed phase your guy was acting in. IE if you had speed 3, you got three actions, but you could only move a third of your movement on each one.

That would have worked so much better if all speeds were then given as multiples of 12, rather than as multiples of 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

I think if the interrogation of the damage roll is intended to get people thinking about alternatives and a bigger design space and stop just assuming everything has to be that way because it was ever thus, that's good.
I think if the intention is to show that rolling for damage is bad somehow, then I disagree. It's just a design decision, and without more information about the whole game's structure and mechanics and the intentions behind them I don't think it's correct to pass any sort of judgement on it. At least I don't find that useful.
Let's put it this way: I've never very rarely seen it be a net positive, but I'm willing to entertain the possibility if the designer spends some time to explain why they did it.

Oddly enough I think rolling damage works best as a bit of realism spice. It makes some amount of sense that a knife is less dangerous than a big sword and causes proportionally more "flesh wounds" than life-threatening injuries. But this then requires a game where HP represents at least some amount of actual physical health, and that has implications on recovery, and I'm not sure if anyone outside the Call of Cthulhu/Delta Green scene has patience for that these days.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Dice-for-damage makes battles chaotic and turn on a dime, even if you're the biggest badasses around. I always think of movie scenes with swords clashing and people swinging with abandon and everyone is exhausted two minutes in, and end when someone puts an arrow through the eyehole of the king's helmet.

These kinds of systems also tend to abstract HP as something like "avoidance skill/tiredness," such that it's only the last handful that actually involve doing physical harm. This is also how you can get a good night's sleep and pop back up fresh as a daisy.

Whether that's narratively satisfying is kind of a different point.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Siivola posted:

Oddly enough I think rolling damage works best as a bit of realism spice. It makes some amount of sense that a knife is less dangerous than a big sword and causes proportionally more "flesh wounds" than life-threatening injuries. But this then requires a game where HP represents at least some amount of actual physical health, and that has implications on recovery, and I'm not sure if anyone outside the Call of Cthulhu/Delta Green scene has patience for that these days.

Keep in mind that the knife deals less life-threatening injuries compared to a sword which is functionally a really big knife. In the real world, you can tell the winner of a knife fight because he's the one that bleeds out in the ambulance, not at the scene.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Your mileage may vary, but I find abstract HP kinda pulls the rug out from under hit rolls. No matter whether the attack succeeds or not, you "twist away at the last moment" or whatever and are never actually hit in the fiction.

mllaneza posted:

Keep in mind that the knife deals less life-threatening injuries compared to a sword which is functionally a really big knife. In the real world, you can tell the winner of a knife fight because he's the one that bleeds out in the ambulance, not at the scene.
Hey I too have read that meme, but what are you actually trying to say here?

Edit: That meme is such bogus because people have been getting into knife fights and surviving for the entirety of recorded history. It's how people did war back in the day! It's how we have fencing!

Siivola fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Dec 8, 2022

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

mellonbread posted:

I strongly suspect most game designers are not interested in designing systems. They want to do as little work as possible on the mechanical side to get something that supports the setting and content they are much more interested in creating. That means grabbing the game system that's closest to what they want and modifying it to fit their premise.

Game design is a little like programming in that it can be cool to think up of a snippet of something that addresses one specific issue, but developing the entire infrastructure around that snippet can be tedious.

And to stretch this analogy, "modding" a program is a little like hacking the rules of a TRPG in that it allows you practice a little bit of programming/game design, without having to develop the entire rest of the application/write the entire rest of the rulebook.

So you end up with a lot of people that don't really go the whole nine yards as far as game design goes, because it's a lot of work.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Siivola posted:

Edit: That meme is such bogus because people have been getting into knife fights and surviving for the entirety of recorded history. It's how people did war back in the day! It's how we have fencing!

in fairness, people have also been getting into knife fights and not surviving for about the same amount of time. no doubt someone out there has statistics on how deadly knife fights actually are, but that someone is not me

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

redleader posted:

in fairness, people have also been getting into knife fights and not surviving for about the same amount of time. no doubt someone out there has statistics on how deadly knife fights actually are, but that someone is not me
And that's why I will just make some numbers up if I ever have to decide on player character hit points and dagger damage.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Siivola posted:

Oddly enough I think rolling damage works best as a bit of realism spice.

Siivola posted:

And that's why I will just make some numbers up if I ever have to decide on player character hit points and dagger damage.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Look, you gotta hire LatwPIAT if you want a game based on rigorous statistical work, I just go by "ehh sounds about right".

"Verisimilitude" is not a real word and you can't convince me otherwise.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Inside of you are two wolves...

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Siivola posted:

d6, and d6.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Ehh, sounds about right.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
You can just build the damage into the "did I hit" roll. So you have a static damage number, but if you hit well, you double it, on a normal hit you don't change it, and on a bad hit you halve it. Gives you that variation without needing to roll twice (or many times) the number of dice.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

LatwPIAT posted:

That would have worked so much better if all speeds were then given as multiples of 12, rather than as multiples of 4.

When we played a lengthy eclipse phase campaign we replaced the system with the sci Fi flavor of rolemaster and it worked brilliantly, the EP setting is great but the system is horrific.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

gently caress it lets go the opposite direction and you roll to hit, then on a hit location table, then roll a damage to that location.

Or gently caress it even harder, introduce a competitive auction system. Each time attack is resolved by all the players entering into an auction from among a selection of available damages/consequences.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Tulip posted:

gently caress it lets go the opposite direction and you roll to hit, then on a hit location table, then roll a damage to that location.

throw a die onto the Operation game board - if it lands on a body part, that's a hit, on that location, with the die face indicating the damage

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

gradenko_2000 posted:

throw a die onto the Operation game board - if it lands on a body part, that's a hit, on that location, with the die face indicating the damage

I dunno, what if the die is cocked? Obviously the better move is to fill the operation board with hundreds of those tiny 5mm dice that came in the Pirates of the Spanish Main boosters.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Tulip posted:

What's their CR

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Gort posted:

You can just build the damage into the "did I hit" roll. So you have a static damage number, but if you hit well, you double it, on a normal hit you don't change it, and on a bad hit you halve it. Gives you that variation without needing to roll twice (or many times) the number of dice.
As was mentioned earlier this crosses your information channels. Accuracy now directly increases damage per attack as opposed to average damage per turn, and you can't get a hail mary play where you barely pass on accuracy but roll max damage.

These are not necessarily problems but they are important considerations.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Pathfinder 2e kind of did that with criticals being margin-of-success based instead of raw number based. But the result was that damage focused characters became almost worthless compared to accuracy focused ones.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.
Re: Unusual mechanics, the horror game Ten Candles has you play in a space lit only by 10 tealights which are extinguished one-by-one as the game progresses. I think there's also a mechanic where your character traits are written on index cards... which you can literally burn for effect. Very cool game, wish I could try it IRL.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Tulip posted:

Or gently caress it even harder, introduce a competitive auction system. Each time attack is resolved by all the players entering into an auction from among a selection of available damages/consequences.
The only game I know that actually does this is Everlasting, the ultimate vanity project from the guy who wrote Dirty Secrets of the Black Hand for Vampire.

Gort posted:

The issue is that making a single roll, and then doing multiple calculations off that roll, is not necessarily better than just rolling two dice.

I know of one easy way to do it: in a percentile system, the tens digit adds to your damage, so you want to roll as high as you can without rolling over your % and failing.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Dec 8, 2022

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Best Left Buried has you rolling 3d6 for combat. Two of them you use to hit with, and the remaining one is the damage.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Tulip posted:

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

BinaryDoubts posted:

Re: Unusual mechanics, the horror game Ten Candles has you play in a space lit only by 10 tealights which are extinguished one-by-one as the game progresses. I think there's also a mechanic where your character traits are written on index cards... which you can literally burn for effect. Very cool game, wish I could try it IRL.

Ten Candles is a really incredibly effective game if you can manage it. I've got a guy who ran it for Halloween for the past two years and it truly is something special, it just takes a lot of work to get your physical space as dark as it needs to be.
You write traits on cards - IIRC they're something along the lines of: a positive trait, a negative trait, your biggest hope right now, and your greatest fear. You hand them out to other players, and make up your character. If you need to reroll something you can burn your top card, and if you succeed at your hope you get a permanent die to roll that can't gently caress you over. It's really cool and I suggest it to anyone that can blackout a space for a few hours.

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Cross-posting from CC...

Something Else posted:

My game Doom Crop is out in the world, people are playing it and they're sending me nice messages on social media. It feels really good!

It's a card game that can be played with a standard deck, where the layout of your cards on the table influences the strategies available to you. It's a little bit like War, and a little bit like Chess. The rules are available in full on the Doom Crop website, and they always will be.

I never expected that anything else would happen after I wrote the rules, but when my product designer friend saw them, he insisted on making the game a reality. "Doom Crop Alpha Edition" sets the game in a bizarre post-apocalyptic city, with wicked illustrations and sickening lore. Said product designer friend is connected to a hypebeast/streetwear brand called Brain Dead, so they produced it and are selling the Alpha Edition: https://wearebraindead.com/products/doom-crop-trading-game-multi

If this sort of thing interests you, I hope you will play the game!

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Halloween Jack posted:

The issue is that making a single roll, and then doing multiple calculations off that roll, is not necessarily better than just rolling two dice.

Roll a d100, result is m

m is the is accuracy as a percentage, and if it is over the target number you hit

All characters have a damage stat n ranging from 4 to 12. Damage is determined by m mod n

BinaryDoubts posted:

this sounds rad as gently caress

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

FirstAidKite posted:

What's the most... idk if nontraditional would be the best word for it, but nontraditional or unique pen & paper rpg game mechanic you can think of? As in, something very unique, not just roll for hit/damage. Not asking for something that's necessarily good, mind you, just something odd, different, esoteric even.

With Fire Thy Affections Hold A Wing is a two-player game where you physically tie yourself to the other player with string.

I have no idea what it's like as a game, but if you want weird-rear end mechanics there you go.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Can't believe Fromsoft is going to make Lancer RPG The Game

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Hell yeah.

Reach Heaven through Nine Ball.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

BinaryDoubts posted:

Yeah, it's neat. Also at the beginning you record a last message from each character, then play them all back when everyone is dead at the end.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

gradenko_2000 posted:

In both size and capabilities (including warping into the ethereal realm) the closest video game to Lancer is *Titanfall*; except in Titanfall a pilot on foot is a parkour machine that's very difficult to hit, and in Lancer a pilot on foot is about to get splattered by the next weapon that hits them. 'Jockey'ing an enemy mech is a last-ditch effort.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

gradenko_2000 posted:

It only took them negative twenty-six years!

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

ive been thinking about a setting where the rules of magic are being continuously updated by the gods to try and prevent mortals from exploiting imbalances in the system to become super powerful (and then inevitably probably break the world). magic is like an irrepressible force so the gods can't just dam it off, they have to direct it in a way that does the least harm.

the major powers in the world would be people who discovered prior exploits in the laws of reality and became powerful enough to grandfather themself in to the next revision to the laws of nature. the most powerful mystical artifacts would likely be the same, kinda like in a loot-based game like destiny or something where they patch an item so it can no longer drop with a certain special modifier on it, but let people keep the ones they had beforehand.

wizards (i figure anyone trying to find the exploits and loopholes would be considered a wizard regardless of how they go about it) would hoard mystical knowledge the same way that hackers and such hoard knowledge of exploits in security software. they don't want the secret to spread because then the gods will find out and change it.

i figure the present day of the setting would have magic pretty refined, so wizards are mostly very intellectual types trying to find holes in equations, but earlier like legacy wizards might just be an unusually cunning bear or something. there could be prior eras with entirely different magic systems that just got scrapped and replaced when the gods or whoever got tired of trying to fix it.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
That’s basically old D&D. Spell slots, it taking years to learn magic, etc, were all put in place by Mystra after magic wars nearly broke the world.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

juggalo baby coffin posted:

ive been thinking about a setting where the rules of magic are being continuously updated by the gods to try and prevent mortals from exploiting imbalances in the system to become super powerful (and then inevitably probably break the world). magic is like an irrepressible force so the gods can't just dam it off, they have to direct it in a way that does the least harm.

the major powers in the world would be people who discovered prior exploits in the laws of reality and became powerful enough to grandfather themself in to the next revision to the laws of nature. the most powerful mystical artifacts would likely be the same, kinda like in a loot-based game like destiny or something where they patch an item so it can no longer drop with a certain special modifier on it, but let people keep the ones they had beforehand.

wizards (i figure anyone trying to find the exploits and loopholes would be considered a wizard regardless of how they go about it) would hoard mystical knowledge the same way that hackers and such hoard knowledge of exploits in security software. they don't want the secret to spread because then the gods will find out and change it.

i figure the present day of the setting would have magic pretty refined, so wizards are mostly very intellectual types trying to find holes in equations, but earlier like legacy wizards might just be an unusually cunning bear or something. there could be prior eras with entirely different magic systems that just got scrapped and replaced when the gods or whoever got tired of trying to fix it.

This sounds loving cool

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
You might look at Demon: The Descent for inspiration. It's horror/sci-fi with a spy fiction twist but that's exactly how the titular Demons' powers work.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Reality patch notes ver. 1009.62 (season XLVII)
- Fireball heat output capped at 2000K (can no longer achieve fusion when stacking metamagic)
- increased soul cost on Raise Dead (from 25% of soul to 33% of soul to prevent reaching 0% soul)
- nerfed thaum-to-kilojoule conversion rate (Create Food & Water generates 12.5% fewer nutrients per thaum - this is one of the adjustments we are testing in order to buff the value of farming in the current meta)
- prayer now generates 999 faith per week of religious observance down from 1100 (maximum divine intervention bundle price has been adjusted from 1000 faith to 999 to compensate)

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Dec 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

https://qntm.org/structure