Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Barudak posted:

I am getting an additional bonus this year for my performance in not selling things and for not being a problem.

Thanks, I will continue to blend fully into the furniture until I can become a successful ambush predator.

You gotta work harder! Insult your clients, deride their spouses! Make sure they'll NEVER want to buy from you again, not just one failed sale!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

I know I complain a lot over piddly poo poo but they're cool with me taking off three weeks in April to visit the US. Boss also asked me what beer I'd never brewed before. Guess I'll have to think about that one.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Escape From Noise posted:

Guess I'll have to think about that one.

Remember, it's "beer you've never brewed before" and "beer you'd like to brew."

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

A Candycane Doppelbock. Mint flavoured

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

A Candycane Doppelbock. Mint flavoured

:mods:

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

mllaneza posted:

Remember, it's "beer you've never brewed before" and "beer you'd like to brew."

Yeah. I've largely gotten to do most styles other than true sours, which I don't have the facilities for. He also seems to view lagers as one nebulous style.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I'm German. You got nothing on me.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I'm German. You got nothing on me.

Germany is responsible for peppermint schnapps. Checkmate.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Germany is responsible for peppermint schnapps. Checkmate.

truly the worst thing Germany has ever done

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Mr. Fix It posted:

Thank you for doing the needful

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Mr. Fix It posted:

Definitely can't think of anything more atrocious.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Tomn posted:

Most everyone in the company was shrugging their shoulders and saying "This is dumb as hell but hey, if the client wants it they're paying, not our problem if they get mocked relentlessly for it."

I get that but guess I'm the idiot for wanting to provide valued services to clients, rather than find the way to get the most money out of them for the least work and deliberately let them make stupid decisions.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I think this thread has repeatedly shown that some people are just hellbent on making the dumbest decisions possible, and there is absolutely nothing in the world that can stop them. Might as well make some money when they do.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

tactlessbastard posted:

Ever since the start of Covid, my company is making just stunning, record breaking amounts of money doing what we've always done, and they're taking all this money and spending it on expanding into niche luxury crap instead of oh I dunno securing our own supply lines so we can keep doing the thing we do that makes all the money in the first place

This is a problem that happens a lot and is a big reason why "nobody wants to work anymore"

Company makes record profits? Buy new equipment, expand, give a raise to the executive sales manager or some poo poo, etc.

Company has a poo poo quarter or a year? Gotta lay some of you bitches off, sorry, we can't afford this payroll but we CAN afford these consultants over here who will decide who gets ratfucked out of a job.

Anything to avoid putting more money in worker's pockets and people are finally figuring this poo poo out. There's almost NO REASON at all to bust your rear end beyond not losing your job and punitive management is not very motivating.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

nexus6 posted:

I get that but guess I'm the idiot for wanting to provide valued services to clients, rather than find the way to get the most money out of them for the least work and deliberately let them make stupid decisions.

yup

Artonos
Dec 3, 2018

BiggerBoat posted:

This is a problem that happens a lot and is a big reason why "nobody wants to work anymore"

Company makes record profits? Buy new equipment, expand, give a raise to the executive sales manager or some poo poo, etc.

Company has a poo poo quarter or a year? Gotta lay some of you bitches off, sorry, we can't afford this payroll but we CAN afford these consultants over here who will decide who gets ratfucked out of a job.

Anything to avoid putting more money in worker's pockets and people are finally figuring this poo poo out. There's almost NO REASON at all to bust your rear end beyond not losing your job and punitive management is not very motivating.

I talked to my manager about inflation and oh yeah look at all the extra stuff I'm doing. That whole song and dance and I got the response back that it was a tight quarter and they're not sure how things are going to shake out for raises this year.

We're a public company. Q3 had 11% increase in profit. If that's tight we are screwed forever.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

tactlessbastard posted:

Ever since the start of Covid, my company is making just stunning, record breaking amounts of money doing what we've always done, and they're taking all this money and spending it on expanding into niche luxury crap instead of oh I dunno securing our own supply lines so we can keep doing the thing we do that makes all the money in the first place

DM me if you can hook me up with a good deal on a Les Paul

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Artonos posted:

I talked to my manager about inflation and oh yeah look at all the extra stuff I'm doing. That whole song and dance and I got the response back that it was a tight quarter and they're not sure how things are going to shake out for raises this year.

We're a public company. Q3 had 11% increase in profit. If that's tight we are screwed forever.

I did that in similar circumstances and was told "check back in 6 months"

Instead of that I followed through on some interviews and secured a 30% raise

Barudak
May 7, 2007

nexus6 posted:

I hate to say it but yes. Sometimes the best course is to let the client pay you to build a sword to impale themselves on.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

Salami Surgeon posted:

A vendor was on site today, part of some development work. We had a meeting scheduled afterward with the vendor's team who weren't on site to discuss the findings. In the meeting, my boss sits at the head of the table, power move. My boss also did not set up the conference room on Teams, so the phone didn't work. We had to wait for the vendor to get on guest wifi, then use their laptop as a speakerphone. No one on the call could hear my boss. They kept talking over him and asking him to repeat stuff. So powerful.

Different vendor, but today he booked a room and got the phone working. Except he would constantly put things in front of the mic and walk away from it so no one could hear him.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

nexus6 posted:

Sure, but while you may want to try and argue the client into doing something more clever, after a certain point arguing too much means they look for a different advertiser instead to do what they want so you don't get the money and the client does the dumb thing anyways. Besides, it's advertising. "Half the money I spend on advertising is wasted, the problem is that I can't tell which half." It's pretty hard to objectively point at any given advertising campaign and say "This was directly responsible for the 10% increase in sales, which we have definitely isolated as being due to the advertising campaign and not due to changes in the market, the state of the economy, a new product release, pure dumb luck, etc." If you're into providing valued services to clients you're in the wrong line of work, half of the industry is bullshit artistry to convince the client that because they feel they got value, they got value. Part of the reason I got out really.

Incidentally this does actually remind me of another old story of my advertising days.

So we were working in China on Russian Standard Vodka, a company run by one of the Russian oligarchs. The oligarch in question took a personal interest in the project - his ambition was to have Russian Standard replace baijiu in China, which for reference is about as ambitious as trying to outsell French wines with Australian wines in France. Midway through campaign discussions, he comes into a meeting and goes "For this campaign, I think it would be a good idea if we featured a pretty model."

Well, sure, OK, it wasn't part of the original campaign plan but we could make it work, sex sells and all that.

"I think you should use THIS specific model."

...ah.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

working in marketing, you learn pretty quickly not to call the client out on their dumbass ideas

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Working in marketing you learn pretty quickly how much it absolutely sucks rear end to be working in marketing.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If you're so good at marketing how come you have not marketed yourself into a job that doesn't suck poo poo?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

every job sucks poo poo and rear end, i prefer the one that lets me work 90 minutes a day from home, thank you

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

I need to complain again, this time about heater jackets.

Every machine has to go through bakeout, the internal temperature is cranked up and has to stay there for 12, 24, or 48 hours depending on the machine. During this time a whole bunch of internal tests are run and rerun, to make absolutely sure everything works. If a machine fails bakeout it has to go through the many many hour process again, so it can delay the delivery of a machine by a week or more if something goes wrong.

Most of the machines can hit the required temp using only their internal heating elements, but some can't. This is where the heater jackets come in. The first time I saw a heater jacket I thought it was an electric blanket somebody took a pair of dull scissors to so they could connect 3 together. I subsequently learned that they were bespoke, expensive pieces of equipment- that somebody then took a dull pair of scissors to so they could connect power cables to. You have to connect 3 different heater jacket elements together to get the setup you need for your machine, and every heater jacket element is some kind of hosed up. Some get hot but don't have functional connectors to the other jacket elements, but it's fine since there are some that don't have functional thermal elements but have valid connectors, so if you have two broken elements you have one functional element :v:. One heater jacket element shows signs of having been on fire, I don't like that one.

We're pretty good about removing broken equipment from the line, calipers, drills, wrenches and torque drivers, anything suspect and you toss it or give it to be recalibrated by the onsite equipment team. For some reason heater jackets are exempt from this, every single one has a "DO NOT THROW AWAY IF BROKEN" tag.

So that's bad, what is also bad is that apparently first shift has a problem with bays stealing them constantly from other bays. I'm second shift, and we just politely ask if we can borrow one from a bay that doesn't need them, but first shift has a constantly escalating war over these dang fancy hot blankets. Every bay has some variant of "DO NOT REMOVE FROM BAY. REMOVING A HEATER JACKET WITHOUT EXPRESS PERMISSION WILL RESULT IN CONSEQUENCES!!!etc" Every bay has a box containing multiple elements, and each one has a bay number. The bay numbers never match, Bay 1 has Bay 4's box containing elements from Bays 10, 3, and 6.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.

Salami Surgeon posted:

Different vendor, but today he booked a room and got the phone working. Except he would constantly put things in front of the mic and walk away from it so no one could hear him.

What a loving alpha chad, just the ultra pinnacle of power moves.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

Since you all asked nicely, here's some more annoyances from the wonderful world of local government.

The county has a video streaming server from a company called Granicus, which is the last company standing in the field of government video. I provide a video feed to the server so they can record the meetings, chapterize them, etc. A couple months ago it started having issues where it would need to be rebooted daily otherwise it would just display color bars. Then one day I get roped into an email chain about video not working again.

:holy:Can you reboot your equipment? We can't see video on the Granicus page. It's showing a Node.js error.
:argh:That is a network thing, not video. Call Granicus and ask them, but I'll power cycle my stuff just to make you happy.
:holy:It still isn't working, but I can see the video on the server. Can you reboot your equipment again?
:argh:If you can see the video, then it isn't my equipment. Call Granicus.
**20 minutes later**
:holy:Looks like Granicus is having issues in their datacenter, we wasted time by not calling them sooner

I'm responsible for disposing of old equipment. Good idea, keeps the inventory neat and we don't have a bunch of crap laying around. Well, we wouldn't but I've been lazy about that because of the process we have for disposing of equipment. First step is seeing if any other departments want it, doubtful if anyone else wants a tripod head or video server from ten years ago. Then it has to be put up for auction. Only if it isn't sold can it be sent to e-waste. To do that we have to request to adjust the inventory. Easy enough, put in the asset tag and reason for disposal and you are done.

But what if it doesn't have a tag and isn't in the inventory? What if it is a Wal-Mart special DVD player? You have to enter it into inventory along with how much you bought it for, then you have to transfer it out of inventory. This is going to cause an issue for me eventually since the county only tracks items that cost over $1000 and I've got a ton of stuff that is like $400 each.

This county is also in a red part of the state, very much a 'merica type with MAGA flags. While I don't really fit in politically, I always thought that some people were semi-normal. But I overheard the board chair and the clerk of the board talking about how things are gonna change and that they are taking the county back. From who I'm not sure, but liberals in this part of the state almost never get elected. Bonus amusement is we have "election" observers sitting in the building lobby since the election making sure that no votes have been stolen. Of course they aren't in the elections office, they about about 30 feet away so how exactly are they doing that. It's also not like we are the tipping point for the state, almost every person elected here is a Republican. We also get these guys coming in every board meeting complaining that votes have been stolen and that the people aren't gonna stand for it.

And this happened at my old TV station job. I worked as an engineer there too, but was also a maintenance person. I would fix equipment, run wires, etc. One thing that my boss had me doing was re-ballasting fluorescent fixtures in the hallways. Easy thing to do, but I'm not a trained electrician. So a couple years ago I broke my left hand pretty badly, had to have surgery to fix it. Two days after my surgery, he wanted me up on a ladder doing about half a dozen lights since the news department had mentioned them in the morning managers meeting. Told him no, not gonna get up on a ladder two days after surgery with my arm still in a cast and fix light bulbs. If he wanted them fixed, he could call in a contractor or just wait till I was healed up a bit more.

Have more stories from that job, but they are all old. Still fodder for the thread?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

diremonk posted:

But what if it doesn't have a tag and isn't in the inventory?

Just toss it out. What dvd player? I don't see any record of a dvd player.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Making hard seltzer in Japan is so loving pointless. There's a reason it sputtered out and died shortly after it started.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

boar guy posted:

every job sucks poo poo and rear end, i prefer the one that lets me work 90 minutes a day from home, thank you

90 minutes sounds like a pretty full workload there. You might need to hire some people

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

My brewery has a weird issue where we have pretty limited cold room space but 6 fermentation tanks. I can fit 3-4 more or less full batches of beer at a time depending on staggering. So far my strategy has been to use 3 or 4 tanks at a time to make higher turnover beers (3-4 weeks for most standard ales) and use the remaining tanks to make lagers (standard lager takes about 8 weeks) and higher alcohol beers such as imperial stout, strong ales, etc. which take a few months to mature and won't suffer from extended time in the tank in case the cold room ends up crowded and I need to delay packaging for a couple of weeks.

At yesterday's meeting the restaurant manager said he was talking to some brewery about how they will keg like half of their imperial stout and leave the other half in the tank to mature. The boss wanted to do that for our imperial stout but I realized we couldn't because we're adding coffee and I don't want the beer sitting on coffee for several months. In the end I don't get the advantage of doing things this way. The tank is going to take up the same amount of space whether full or half full, I'm risking variations on profile by the keg, and then I guess releasing an imperial stout in winter and then summer when almost nobody wants that. Maybe I'm missing something.

Overall I'm at least doing pretty good. Belgian dark strong came out alright. I think something is a bit off but it's smooth for 9%.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Outrail posted:

Just toss it out. What dvd player? I don't see any record of a dvd player.

same. If there’s record and it’s just ewaste why go to the trouble?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Not a Children posted:

I did that in similar circumstances and was told "check back in 6 months"

Instead of that I followed through on some interviews and secured a 30% raise

Checking back in with your old co-workers after 6 months is pretty great though. Especially when you learn that you were the leading lemming that caused half the department to gently caress off since then.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Checking back in with your old co-workers after 6 months is pretty great though. Especially when you learn that you were the leading lemming that caused half the department to gently caress off since then.

This is the best.

Followed closely by seeing your old job still open and unfilled for a year because nobody exists in the market with your skillset. Sucks to suck chumps

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

I take maybe a bit too much glee in watching my former boss constantly eat poo poo and act like things are going great, actually.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

I take maybe a bit too much glee in watching my former boss constantly eat poo poo and act like things are going great, actually.

This.

# of people moved into and then out of her team since August is now 4. Of the remaining 2 individuals to have been working with her in that time period one is still hemming and hawing about whether she wants to extend her temporary contract with our section or go back to the team she came from (contact runs out in under 2 months), and the other one has brought his retirement up by a year in order to leave before July of 2023.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

I may have convinced my boss that it'd be way more cost effective to just mix vodka and water in kegs and carb them then try making and fermenting a whole batch of hard seltzer. :toot:

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

I may have convinced my boss that it'd be way more cost effective to just mix vodka and water in kegs and carb them then try making and fermenting a whole batch of hard seltzer. :toot:

Hear me out, Alcoholic Ramune! Six times the gimmick for 400 times the filling nightmare!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

TaurusTorus posted:

So that's bad, what is also bad is that apparently first shift has a problem with bays stealing them constantly from other bays. I'm second shift, and we just politely ask if we can borrow one from a bay that doesn't need them, but first shift has a constantly escalating war over these dang fancy hot blankets. Every bay has some variant of "DO NOT REMOVE FROM BAY. REMOVING A HEATER JACKET WITHOUT EXPRESS PERMISSION WILL RESULT IN CONSEQUENCES!!!etc" Every bay has a box containing multiple elements, and each one has a bay number. The bay numbers never match, Bay 1 has Bay 4's box containing elements from Bays 10, 3, and 6.

Fuckin' first shift is the same in every industry :argh: