Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Everytime I see a picture of Sam fried bank fried I have to laugh that they gave that guy so much money and he didn’t even bother with his appearance. Rememeber the social network where zuck went into a meeting with a robe? Now being slovenly is now apparently a positive signal

Edit. Maybe that poo poo doesn’t really matter but just seeing this dude. Hearing him talk.. they gave this guy billions??

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Dec 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Strong Sauce posted:

Everytime I see a picture of Sam fried bank fried I have to laugh that they gave that guy so much money and he didn’t even bother with his appearance. Rememeber the social network where zuck went into a meeting with a robe? Now being slovenly is now apparently a positive signal

Edit. Maybe that poo poo doesn’t really matter but just seeing this dude. Hearing him talk.. they gave this guy billions??

lmao i just found out the pyjamas pitch done by Zuckerberg was to Sequoia, which is the same fund that SBF pitched to when playing Mobile Legends leading to the infamous "I love this guy!" comment.

DonJNavarro
Aug 16, 2000
I am so smart!....S-M-R-T!

:dukedog:

Strong Sauce posted:

*rolls up dad joke sleeves*
You should see the other guys

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
obviously the ultimate pitch to get like 30 billion dollars from sequoia would be to physically look and dress like a rodeo clown robbing a bank in an ill fitting nixon mask, and show up on the video call asleep in a bowl of cheetos.

"tremendous! give him everything!"

AndreTheGiantBoned
Oct 28, 2010
Ok, so I have this bitcoiner friend who is wholly into the narrative "SBF funded the Dems and is being left off the hook!!!".

My assumption is that this guy is moving inside multiple grey areas and legal vacuums, and it will take some time until it is determined what exactly to accuse him of.

Is prosecution actually coming up slow? What is the thread's collective wisdom?

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

AndreTheGiantBoned posted:

Ok, so I have this bitcoiner friend who is wholly into the narrative "SBF funded the Dems and is being left off the hook!!!".

My assumption is that this guy is moving inside multiple grey areas and legal vacuums, and it will take some time until it is determined what exactly to accuse him of.

FTX greased palms on both sides, lobbying for lenient crypto legislation, "the Dems" is just conspiracy cope.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

He admitted he greased both palms in one of his ill advised interviews that his lawyers told him not to do. It's also revealed while he donated to the dems he assigned his team members to also donate to the reps

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
Coffeezilla demonstrated why the lawyers kept telling sbf to shut up by going into a Twitter space where he was doing an ama and getting him to admit to fraud

Dial A For Awesome
May 23, 2009
It is also less than a month since FTX filled for bankruptcy. Based on what the trustee told the bankruptcy court, record keeping seems to have been abysmal so sifting through the wreckage to prove what happened and how the (real) money was shuffled around is not going to be straightforward.

Enron collapsed at the start of December 2001. The trial of it’s former CEO began in January 2006. Issues emerged with Theranos in 2015-2016. Fraud charges were not filed against Holmes until March 2018.

In summary, charges will be coming for the crypto fraggles who ran FTX. However, building a case takes time.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Wifi Toilet posted:

Lmao, imagine being tortured for some random numbers stored on a computer somewhere.
The professional term is "rubber hose cryptoanalysis".

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2022/nov/30/ftx-billionaire-sam-bankman-fried-dark-money-republicans

quote:

“I donated to both parties. I donated about the same amount to both parties,”
“All my Republican donations were dark,” he said, referring to political donations that are not publicly disclosed. “The reason was not for regulatory reasons, it’s because reporters freak the gently caress out if you donate to Republicans. They’re all super liberal, and I didn’t want to have that fight.”

drk
Jan 16, 2005
looooooooool

https://twitter.com/jacobdotsol/status/1600526700982710273

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Forever owned by the blockchain, lmao.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Strong Sauce posted:

in software, it's how you emphasize your seniority and importance. Someone who writes code is wearing a full suit and tie? They probably don't have a job. Someone who writes code has a gross unkempt beard, ratty sweatpants, and flip flops? They probably have written a dozen books and are the expert on multiple languages, and are probably a senior principle engineer at a big company.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Chainclaw posted:

in software, it's how you emphasize your seniority and importance. Someone who writes code is wearing a full suit and tie?

They're working at IBM. in 1990.

Mind you I did work at an IT/management consultancy in New Jersey for a year or so who required that of all employees (also: no long hair. Beards only got allowed last year). Shittiest job I ever had take that as you will.

Butterwagon
Mar 21, 2010

Lookit that stupid ass-hole!
In this video, SBF admits that customer funds were intermingled between high-risk and low-risk customers, contradicting FTX's terms of service.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4o_jPzBZSIo&t=815s

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

I like the implication that this person's solution to that problem is even more crypto.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
The term “web2” should have given it away

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

All my apes, gone!!

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

priznat posted:

All my apes, gone!!

I will never not repost this one when topical, fortunately it keeps happening lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtLWbrOircQ

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

this thread is a good summary re: "why isn't he in jail yet":

https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1600877380683280384

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

evilweasel posted:

this thread is a good summary re: "why isn't he in jail yet":

https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1600877380683280384

This thread thread is a perfect showcase of why popehat is both interesting to read and so frustrating to read. He's almost able to see structural problems but not quite.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I think it makes sense to not pre emptively jail people most of the time. It would also make sense to invest in speedier prosecutions of crimes though.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

He is quite aware of those structural problems and while I don't have the threads handy he addresses them; it's just that they're there and it doesn't change the reality that building a white collar criminal case takes time and patience.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Its also the whole why is Alex Jones still around the wheels of justice move slowly because they are permanent things to do so people need to make sure they are doing the proper thing.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Who could have ever predicted this! Aside from all the people who did predict this!

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Who could have ever predicted this! Aside from all the people who did predict this!

nft holder wishes just a few thousand more people had warned him.png

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Boxturret posted:

nft holder wishes just a few thousand more people had warned him.png

https://twitter.com/theonion/status/1512169603539292160

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

https://twitter.com/ibliminse_eth/status/1600696473406300160

https://twitter.com/ross_stalker/status/1600861846210125825

https://twitter.com/bigtime_genius/status/1600713290342334464

https://twitter.com/NBAGAGORTION/status/1600758086997749760

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
are any non rug nft games even still chugging?

didnt the filipino notslaves one crash and burn once the people at the top got bored (oh and werent in fact getting 999999999999....99999999 % roi interest?

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

tango alpha delta posted:

lol at defending overpriced German luxury cars. My ancient 2013 Toyota Sienna has a basically bulletproof 3.0 Liter Lexus engine which kicks the poo poo out of any BMW for reliability.

buttcoin

Modern ford has better build quality and reliability than any modern BMW I’ve owned, lol

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

kw0134 posted:

He is quite aware of those structural problems and while I don't have the threads handy he addresses them; it's just that they're there and it doesn't change the reality that building a white collar criminal case takes time and patience.

I can almost see this but he takes this attitude like "Look you DUMMY you MORON you FOOL this is just how it works it can't go faster!" which is not really aligned with some underlying acute knowledge that the system is completely hosed and transparently favors rich people.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

His long association with Randazza makes it clear that his personal wisdom is, at best, hit and miss.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Like people are correct to be mad he's not in jail right now and they're correct that its due to corruption, inequitable laws, and the entire justice system being designed to protect rich people. They add on a layer of conspiracy that isn't there, but the root of their anger is actually correct and there is no recognition of that in popehats 12 tweet thread which is annoying.

edit:

https://twitter.com/FTX_Official/status/1435124771394523137

Salt Fish fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Dec 8, 2022

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
“In my big wet rear end”, lmao

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Salt Fish posted:

I can almost see this but he takes this attitude like "Look you DUMMY you MORON you FOOL this is just how it works it can't go faster!" which is not really aligned with some underlying acute knowledge that the system is completely hosed and transparently favors rich people.
It can't go faster because it would take literal acts of Congress and a re-writing of both the penal code and criminal procedure, including what it means to have a system that tries to also protect the accused from the full power of government until there is certainty of guilt. To the extent that it's inequitable that someone who is busted for a dime bag is in jail immediately versus SBF running around in the Bahamas after defrauding people of billions of dollars, a prosecutor can't make that go faster without risking the criminal prosecution that would see justice served, to the extent you feel it can be.

And the shoe goes on the other foot, too. "Just jail em!" is how we get into a mess with like, say, Rikers Island.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Yeah like you could make it work BETTER with just more resourcing but pre emptively jailing people in that crime category would not be an easy change.

Suspect A
Jan 1, 2015

Nap Ghost

drat, their first mistake was choosing to host their precious NFTs on a filthy web2 API instead of a web3 API. I'm assuming they meant hosting it on BitTorrent? Or what? Wtf is even web3 and how would it protect your precious server your redirect link NFT points to?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Salt Fish posted:

Like people are correct to be mad he's not in jail right now and they're correct that its due to corruption, inequitable laws, and the entire justice system being designed to protect rich people. They add on a layer of conspiracy that isn't there, but the root of their anger is actually correct and there is no recognition of that in popehats 12 tweet thread which is annoying.

edit:

https://twitter.com/FTX_Official/status/1435124771394523137

He's also in Bahamas, which makes it a tad bit more complicated. Also it's pretty obvious that every day they leave him free is another day he will self incriminate with interviews

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JagGator
Oct 31, 2012

Suspect A posted:

Wtf is even web3

It’s one better.

You see, most webs only go to two. Where can you go from there? Where?

These go to three.