Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

the culture wars we export overseas are ftw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Would be nice if that's the only kind of war US exported.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Lostconfused posted:

Would be nice if that's the only kind of war US exported.

what if the US crushing the continental arms industry was good for world peace

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

lobster shirt posted:

are there sovereign citizen/reichsburger types in all euro countries? i would love it if there was like a group of french guys who refuse to pay taxes because they nothing after the second republic is legally valid or binding.

there's the One Nation movement in France and Belgium.

quote:

In 2021, a New Age-oriented French group of conspiracy theorists called "One Nation" became known to the public for their involvement in the kidnapping of a child. Later that year, they attempted to purchase a property in the rural department of Lot, purportedly to create a "center for the arts" and a "research laboratory". The One Nation movement holds beliefs similar to those of American sovereign citizens and denies the legitimacy of the French State. They also share beliefs with QAnon. The name sovereign citizens is sometimes translated in French as "êtres souverains" (sovereign beings) or "êtres éveillés" (woke beings).[184][185][186][187] People affiliated with One Nation are also active in Belgium.[188] In February 2022, the group's French spokeswoman was sentenced to six months in prison for multiple traffic violations.[189] She was arrested and incarcerated in September of the same year.[190]

quote:

Rémy Daillet-Wiedemann, a French far-right conspiracy theorist living in Malaysia, adapted QAnon theories for a French audience and published online videos in which he called for an overthrow of the French government.[100][101] In June 2021, he was expelled from Malaysia,[102][103] deported back to France and put under arrest for his involvement in the kidnapping of a child[104][105] who had been removed from the care of her conspiracy theorist mother.[32][106] Daillet-Wiedemann had helped coordinate the abduction from Malaysia.[101]

In October 2021, Daillet-Wiedemann was charged with running a terrorist organization after it emerged that he and his Internet followers - who included members of a neo-Nazi group - had been seriously planning to carry the coup he advocated against the French government. Several associates of Daillet-Wiedemann were also arrested.[107][108] Besides the coup attempt, the group had planned other violent actions, including attacks against COVID-19 vaccination centers, masonic lodges, public figures and 5G antennas.[109] In March 2022, seven other people were interrogated by the police for their involvement in Daillet-Wiedemann's network.[36]

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

tristeham posted:

there's the One Nation movement in France and Belgium.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

There is a french type of sovereign citizen, QAA did an episode on it.

https://twitter.com/QanonAnonymous/status/1448423870873182209

Simply being a localized import of Qanon is boring, though. The appeal of the Reichsburgers is their demented interpretation of history, sort of like how sovereign citizens obsess about gold fringes on flags. The fun is in how they're built on insane readings of legalisms. They're politics of cope.

Do these One Nation guys talk about Napoleon or the Sun King or Charlemagne because otherwise they're pretty boring, unlike

lobster shirt posted:

are there sovereign citizen/reichsburger types in all euro countries? i would love it if there was like a group of french guys who refuse to pay taxes because they nothing after the second republic is legally valid or binding.

Taiwan has these guys who believe that the U.S. - or maybe Japan?- still has legal control of the island after Japan's defeat in 1946.

quote:

According to the Taiwan Civil Government, America entrusted the legal occupation of Taiwan to the ROC following its defeat of Japan in World War II, in the course of which Chiang Kai-Shek stripped the Taiwanese people of their Japanese nationality without American consent.

https://twitter.com/newbloommag/status/998548973999697920

quote:

Conspiracy theories as those advanced by the Taiwan Civil Government, then, seem to offer a sense of restoring agency to Taiwanese in claiming an arcane and occultic true legal order which will ultimately resolve the existential threat to Taiwan from China and the powerlessness that many Taiwanese feel in the face of such threats and an international legal order which seems like it will not change anytime soon.

Indeed, although the best known and probably largest of such groups, it is telling that the Taiwan Civil Government is far from the only group which advances bizarre conspiracy theories regarding some claimed true status of Taiwan’s sovereignty. Club 51 (51俱樂部) and other groups that refer to themselves as part of the “Formosan Statehood Movement” (臺灣建州運動) for example, advances a similarly contorted legal argument about the status of Taiwan—although in order to claim that Taiwan is America’s 51st state, rather than part of Japan, as the Taiwan Civil Government does.

Like I said, these conspiracy theories are the politics of cope.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

https://twitter.com/spectator/status/1600480110645084160

quote:

Elements within German society have long been susceptible to the esoteric. Biodynamic agriculture, which can involve practices such as burying bull horns full of quartz next to crops, has its largest following in Germany. Many former East Germans still believe that HIV is a man-made virus resulting from a disinformation campaign run by the Stasi and the KGB in the 1980s. Other more insidious elements have adopted parts of the American QAnon philosophy, mixing Covid conspiracies with theories about a secret global government. Some believe that it is Donald Trump’s destiny to free Germany from supposed foreign occupation, allowing Germans to abolish parliamentary democracy.

Heck yeah this is way better than just the standard Qanon/COVID/5G stuff

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Apologies for not finishing my trip report yet, life's being really weird lately, and also I'm laughing too hard whenever I think of Germany because god loving damnit this poo poo is the gooniest loving conspiracy possible.

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

lobster shirt posted:

Isn't / wasn't there a small disputed island somewhere on a river border between Croatia and Serbia that a bunch of Serb libertarians tried to take over and make into a free market paradise?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

Isn't / wasn't there a small disputed island somewhere on a river border between Croatia and Serbia that a bunch of Serb libertarians tried to take over and make into a free market paradise?

They weren't Serbian, but yeah, that happened. The island is also... reversely disputed, so to speak. As in nobody wants it. Serbia and Croatia both say that it belongs to the other one, although Croatia is the one to usually send in the military to mop up anyone who tries to go for a third option.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Carthag Tuek posted:

he's not a prince of anything, his great-whatever grandfather abdicated after ww1

the title is entirely meaningless, like that Habsburg dork

In the case of the Habsburgs, they can't use their titles in Austria because aristocratic titles are banned, even including "von".

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Weka posted:

In the case of the Habsburgs, they can't use their titles in Austria because aristocratic titles are banned, even including "von".

cancel culture has done so much damage to Europe …

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Weka posted:

I think that's why they kept Liechtenstein around.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Habsburg families sometimes had Grenzer bodyguards, and based on generationally passed down gossip, I have my suspicions on why certain branches seem less inbred than others.

Which reminds me, sorry about that time an exiled Serbian king hosed Winston Churchill's mom, that one went real poorly for everyone I'd say.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

my dad posted:

Habsburg families sometimes had Grenzer bodyguards, and based on generationally passed down gossip, I have my suspicions on why certain branches seem less inbred than others.

Which reminds me, sorry about that time an exiled Serbian king hosed Winston Churchill's mom, that one went real poorly for everyone I'd say.

Don't leave us hanging my dad.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

my dad posted:

Wait, Churchill was Serbian?

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/maybulman/status/1600751040202100736

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

A welded rebar cage. That's like something a slaver would use in post apocalyptic media.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

my dad posted:

They weren't Serbian, but yeah, that happened. The island is also... reversely disputed, so to speak. As in nobody wants it. Serbia and Croatia both say that it belongs to the other one, although Croatia is the one to usually send in the military to mop up anyone who tries to go for a third option.

why is that? is it similar to the situation between egypt and sudan?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Mr. Lobe posted:

A welded rebar cage. That's like something a slaver would use in post apocalyptic media.

Slavers, in my EU?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Megamissen posted:

why is that? is it similar to the situation between egypt and sudan?

I have no idea what the situation between Egypt and Sudan is.

The old Yugoslav border was drawn based on where the Danube was flowing, and it has since changed course. There's a minor dispute over whether the old or the new course of the Danube should be the border and the tl;dr of it is that neither side wants the interpretation that ends up with them getting that island, since they'd lose a lot more.

De facto, it's Croatian since they're the ones policing it, just like Serbia is policing the other disputed stuff. Danube isn't a creek, it's a wide-rear end fully navigable river, second biggest in Europe, and the practicalities ended up siding with Serbia's interpretations, even if it's going to be a 'dispute' pretty much forever.

my dad has issued a correction as of 23:30 on Dec 8, 2022

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

my dad posted:

I have no idea what the situation between Egypt and Sudan is.

the tl;dr of it is that neither side wants the interpretation that ends up with them getting that island, since they'd lose a lot more.

yeah that is similar

egypt considers the straight line to be the border and sudan the one that moves down then up
so none of them consider the square theirs since they would lose the much more important triangle

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Megamissen posted:

yeah that is similar

egypt considers the straight line to be the border and sudan the one that moves down then up
so none of them consider the square theirs since they would lose the much more important triangle

playstation-rear end cartography

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

What if he was Tupac's grandpa

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I'm roughly 85% sure he's not. The timeline of when she was having that (particular) affair don't quite match up, and Churchill's mom really got around throughout that whole period.

The Serbian king in question, Milan Obrenović, was a spectacular fuckup of a man, but with an almost supernatural ability to survive assassination attempts. (the most infamous one probably being the outhouse sabotage one, which he only survived because someone heard his panicking gunshots from the bottom of the poo poo pit, which {un}fortunately didn't have the right gas mix to either suffocate him or explode) That man was eventually literally being paid by the Serbian government to do whatever the gently caress he wanted abroad just to make sure he stayed the gently caress away from the country.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Any chance he fathered Tito?

Speaking of which, this is what happens if Stalin actually got him

https://twitter.com/propagandopolis/status/1568313533749682179
https://twitter.com/propagandopolis/status/1568315123600687111
https://twitter.com/propagandopolis/status/1568316232843071495

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Maximo Roboto posted:

Speaking of which, this is what happens if Stalin actually got him

No.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Despite otherwise preferential treatment a lot of Ukrainian refugees are being denied residency in Denmark, because they fled too early.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Basically the theme with Ukraine refugees is that Western governments are so used to being psychotically hostile to refugees that they literally can't make exceptions even when they want to, immigration officials continue to pull the same horrible poo poo they're trained to.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Basically the theme with Ukraine refugees is that Western governments are so used to being psychotically hostile to refugees that they literally can't make exceptions even when they want to, immigration officials continue to pull the same horrible poo poo they're trained to.

They did make a lot of exceptions in this case, though, Ukrainians have much easier access to residency and work permits, weren't robbed on arrival, and aren't housed literally on military training grounds or in dilapidated defunct prisons, these ones just got hosed by an arbitrary date.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

https://twitter.com/pm_viktororban/status/1602255764059561987

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

https://twitter.com/dril/status/831805955402776576

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

As expected, the new Danish government will be powered by turbocharged neoliberalism. Massive tax cuts for the rich, abolition of a holiday (likely Great Prayer Day), probably further gutting of the welfare state TBD, but Mette Frederiksen avoids getting impeached for exterminating the mink, probably the only undeniably good thing she's done in her life. The last time the Social Democrats and the Liberals tried to govern together it lasted only 14 months, so here's hoping.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol revoking a holiday

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Will also be lobbying the EU to abolish the minimum wage directive.

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

SplitSoul posted:

As expected, the new Danish government will be powered by turbocharged neoliberalism. Massive tax cuts for the rich, abolition of a holiday (likely Great Prayer Day), probably further gutting of the welfare state TBD, but Mette Frederiksen avoids getting impeached for exterminating the mink, probably the only undeniably good thing she's done in her life. The last time the Social Democrats and the Liberals tried to govern together it lasted only 14 months, so here's hoping.

Congratulations to the Social Democrats on their great victory. What do you mean, exterminating the mink?

uno.mannschaft
Dec 23, 2006

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

Congratulations to the Social Democrats on their great victory. What do you mean, exterminating the mink?

Its an old Danish racial slur

Weka
May 5, 2019

They culled all the minks in the mink farms because they had covid. IMO they should have vaccinated those minks.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

lots of covid variants sprung up on mink farms, so they had them all terminated but didnt do the due diligence on checking whether they could legally do that. however, there was a big majority for doing this in the parliament so they passed a law that legalized it, but only after it had been done. then they gave the mink farmers a huge amount of money, esp considering they were barely profitable in the first place.

anyway, a number of parties to the right of the socdems had been calling for an investigation and impeachment of the socdem pm before the election, and would likely have been able to push it through even though a red-green majority won. so the center right is now dropping their call for impeachment to go in a coalition with the socdems, who will squander the red-green majority and they will now gently caress up the welfare state together.

everybody's happy! :downs:

Carthag Tuek has issued a correction as of 20:44 on Dec 14, 2022

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

what's the fur market like in 2022 anyway? i don't think i've seen a fur coat for sale in a department store since the 90s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i think mink oil is very popular for makeup