Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Thanks for this haha. Some highlights:
A Red Sox fan: "and if one more person says tHeY wOn FoUr WoRlD sErIeS I'll go postal on them"
A reference to THE IBLOOMINATTI (referring to stat nerds)
"This would never have happened if Dave Dombrowski was here"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Dodgers winning it all in 2023.

https://twitter.com/Dodgers/status/1600913297280073728?t=dMGmlkeY7oOjvvbRQBf2Ig&s=19

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
https://twitter.com/Alden_Gonzalez/status/1600913717314482176

e: poo poo, beaten. i love the idea of j-hey and bellinger possibly doing a straight swap though

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bellinger inspiring the Cubs in the post season: "Dudes. C'mon."

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
Lots of stuff about the Yanks interest in Rodon

https://twitter.com/jackcurryyes/status/1600912468590534656?s=46&t=-ulA4GJTSpUCFF7t_7UUVg

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I look forward to his New Swing (tm)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

IDK if Rodon's bat is what the yankees need

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

fast cars loose anus posted:

A reference to THE IBLOOMINATTI (referring to stat nerds)

Well that's pretty yikes, but Boston fans gotta live down to their stereotype I guess.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Why didn't they just sign him before last season? He was a FA..... Could've had him for less than he's going to get now too.

Johnny Bravo posted:

https://twitter.com/Alden_Gonzalez/status/1600913717314482176

e: poo poo, beaten. i love the idea of j-hey and bellinger possibly doing a straight swap though

It's going to be quite funny if the Dodgers are paying Heyward and Bellinger 40 million next year and Heyward plays better.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

The new swing to end all new swings.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Nodoze posted:

Bauer did not have the same baggage at the time of signing him that he does now
He had a lot of baggage and plenty of fans were furious at the signing when it happened for the exact reason that we knew he was a piece of poo poo rear end in a top hat who treats women poorly, based on his twitter harassment alone. Feel free to search my post history here and on Twitter from that time for receipts. The team dismissed those concerns in a pretty condescending manner at his introductory press conference.

He was an rear end in a top hat that many fans didn’t want to root for even if he was really good for our team. That’s not all that different from how many LA fans now view Correa.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

mcmagic posted:

Why didn't they just sign him before last season? He was a FA..... Could've had him for less than he's going to get now too.

Fair enough…but werent you just upset the other day that you weren’t seeing any reports about the Yankees being in on Rodon?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Ya there was talk of the Jays trying to land him and I'm pretty sure most of the Jays fans here were extremely upset about that idea.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

mcmagic posted:

It's going to be quite funny if the Dodgers are paying Heyward and Bellinger 40 million next year and Heyward plays better.
Bellinger is in his final arb year. He was non-tendered by the Dodgers, they aren’t paying him anything.

Heyward was released by the Cubs so they’re on the hook for his salary this year, minus whatever minimum the Dodgers pick up. And they signed him to a minor league deal.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Dec 8, 2022

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Professor Funk posted:

Fair enough…but werent you just upset the other day that you weren’t seeing any reports about the Yankees being in on Rodon?

Yeah I didn't think they would bring back Judge and also sign Rodon but if they do it's a good start to the offseason for sure. I think they really need to hit the trade market now because the fixes they need to do right now aren't really in FA no matter if they get Rodon or not...

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Remember when Trevor Bauer lost two World Series games to the Cubs? :allears:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

bawfuls posted:

Bellinger is in his final arb year. He was non-tendered by the Dodgers, they aren’t paying him anything.

Heyward has reached the end of that Cubs mega deal. He’s signed a minor league contract with LA so he’s not even guaranteed MLB minimum.

https://twitter.com/matthewpouliot/status/1600914512676360238

Looks like the cubs are still paying Heyward for the last year of his deal.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
e. ^ Yes we cut Heyward a year early and are on the hook for his salary in 2023.

Yeah it was well known even prior to his big sexual battery/assault incident that he was a piece of poo poo to women and just kind of a grating rear end in a top hat most other players didn't like much. There's also the whole thing where he was just blatantly cheating with sticky stuff in 2020 after initially calling out the league and them shrugging their shoulders, guess the Dodgers just figured a league crackdown would never come? Either way it was an insanely stupid signing and all the Dodger fans I knew IRL were pissed about it.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

mcmagic posted:

https://twitter.com/matthewpouliot/status/1600914512676360238

Looks like the cubs are still paying Heyward for the last year of his deal.
Yea it is possible the Cubs pay $40M for those two players this year but not that the Dodgers do so as you suggested

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The dude got salty about getting the hook and threw a ball over the batters eye, even Scherzer doesn't do poo poo like that

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

bawfuls posted:

He had a lot of baggage and plenty of fans were furious at the signing when it happened for the exact reason that we knew he was a piece of poo poo rear end in a top hat who treats women poorly, based on his twitter harassment alone. Feel free to search my post history here and on Twitter from that time for receipts. The team dismissed those concerns in a pretty condescending manner at his introductory press conference.

He was an rear end in a top hat that many fans didn’t want to root for even if he was really good for our team. That’s not all that different from how many LA fans now view Correa.

I am not disagreeing with you about that. However, both can still be true that while he was definitely a controversial figure when they signed him there is still a big leap from that to what he was later accused of doing. Obviously neither one is great but one is considerably more of a problem than the other

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

bawfuls posted:

Yea it is possible the Cubs pay $40M for those two players this year but not that the Dodgers do so as you suggested

It was a typo, I meant the cubs.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

zoux posted:

The dude got salty about getting the hook and threw a ball over the batters eye, even Scherzer doesn't do poo poo like that

That was pretty funny actually.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Scherzer doesn't strike me as an rear end in a top hat he's just insane.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Nodoze posted:

I am not disagreeing with you about that. However, both can still be true that while he was definitely a controversial figure when they signed him there is still a big leap from that to what he was later accused of doing. Obviously neither one is great but one is considerably more of a problem than the other
I would still rather the Dodgers have been hesitant to sign Bauer at that time based on what we knew then, than be hesitant to sign Correa now based on the banging scheme. The fact that the reverse appears to be true is what Travis correctly noted is troubling.

We knew Bauer was a petulant, lovely teammate, a bigot, and a harasser of women online. These are characters flaws which require significant work to overcome and improve. Just pitching well was never going to be enough to alleviate these concerns among the fans that care about them.

Correa transgressed against the team and should make amends for it if he comes to LA, but otherwise all he has to do is play well for the issue to fade away.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Dec 8, 2022

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

zoux posted:

i still think this was real funny in a "what a fuckin pouty child" way

certainly nothing to applaud or be proud of, but god drat. a grown man making millions of dollars throwing that kind of a tantrum will always be funny to me

tito getting caught on camera asking "what the gently caress is wrong with you?" as he got to the mound was the cherry on top

Johnny Bravo fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Dec 8, 2022

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

mcmagic posted:

That was pretty funny actually.

For sure but it would give me some pause if my team was trying to sign a dude like that.

Popete posted:

Scherzer doesn't strike me as an rear end in a top hat he's just insane.

Oh I wasn't saying that, I was saying it was something you couldn't just chalk up to intensity.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
The general sports media fawned over Bauer though, they would always interview him during games and call him "the most intelligent pitcher". So if you weren't following him that closely at the time you probably were fine with your team picking him up.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

bawfuls posted:

I would still rather the Dodgers have been hesitant to sign Bauer at that time based on what we knew then, than be hesitant to sign Correa now based on the banging scheme.

We knew Bauer was a petulant, poo poo teammate, bigot, and harassed women online. These are characters flaws which require significant work to overcome and improve. Just pitching well was never going to be enough to alleviate these concerns among the fans that care about them.

Correa transgressed against the team and should make amends for it if he comes to LA, but otherwise all he has to do is play well for the issue to fade away.

The Dodgers don't need Correa to be a winning team next year. There are other good baseball players they can get to come play for them! Why put your fans in a situation where they have to root for a guy who THEY KNOW cheated their team!

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

mcmagic posted:

The Dodgers don't need Correa to be a winning team next year. There are other good baseball players they can get to come play for them! Why put your fans in a situation where they have to root for a guy who THEY KNOW cheated their team!
They didn’t need Bauer either.

The point is this: if they are hesitant to sign Correa now, they should have been even more reluctant to sign Bauer when they did even knowing only what we knew at that time about Bauer

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bawfuls posted:

I would still rather the Dodgers have been hesitant to sign Bauer at that time based on what we knew then, than be hesitant to sign Correa now based on the banging scheme. The fact that the reverse appears to be true is what Travis correctly noted is troubling.

We knew Bauer was a petulant, poo poo teammate, bigot, and harassed women online. These are characters flaws which require significant work to overcome and improve. Just pitching well was never going to be enough to alleviate these concerns among the fans that care about them.

It's also important to note, though we ignore it here often for comedy and trolling purposes, is that fanbases aren't monoliths and all run the gamut from extremely cool and chill people to the worst people on the planet. I've seen countless Browns fans online tearing their hair out over Deshaun Watson because they don't want to root for a rapist and would rather go 0-16 than have him under center but I've seen pics of fans at the game with all kinds of "Watson is innocent/who cares" signs and, I guess, dioramas? Displays involving mannequins.

I even went over to r/dodgers to see what they were saying and while the gently caress CARLOS stuff was being upvoted to the top, there were plenty of people like "it's stupid to trade wins for hurt feelings from seven years ago". Like, if Joe Kelly was somewhat good, I wouldn't think twice about the Astros signing him to a decent contract. Bellinger has talked insane poo poo about the team for years but Astros fans were mostly like "sure, why not" when he was connected to Astros signing rumors.

zoux fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Dec 8, 2022

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Popete posted:

The general sports media fawned over Bauer though, they would always interview him during games and call him "the most intelligent pitcher".

Extreme Aaron Rodgers vibes

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

To put it another way, the nature of Correa’s transgressions allow for the possibility of a transformation, whereby fans eventually feel “he’s a sonofabitch but he’s OUR sonofabitch.”

Nothing Bauer could have done on the field could have had this effect, because his failures fell outside the game of baseball.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Guarantee if Heyward makes the team he is a better hitter than bellinger this season.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Sab0921 posted:

The Dodgers are essentially homegrown OP. I guess they had Freeman, Betts, and Trea Turner but the latter 2 were trades that utilized their farm to pick up and they only signed Betts.

I should have clarified in my original post, because a few people have mentioned this. I just meant the Dodgers always seem like a team willing to spend money to build a winning team, whether the player is homegrown, traded for, or signed as a free agent.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Popete posted:

The general sports media fawned over Bauer though, they would always interview him during games and call him "the most intelligent pitcher". So if you weren't following him that closely at the time you probably were fine with your team picking him up.

MLB has such a dearth of players with an academic background that pretty much any time somebody does have one or can speak in vaguely academic terms they're lauded by the media as a genius. Like how every time announcers want to talk about how smart Hendricks is they bring up he's got an undergrad degree in Economics from Dartmouth as if this somehow translates in any way to pitching well. Bauer having graduated HS a year early and going into mechanical engineering - along with his vocal embrace of early pitching science stuff coming out of places like Driveline - was like candy to folks who wanted to create a narrative of him being super smart. Which unfortunately also seemed to paper over the fact that as early as his first year in the league he was building a reputation as a piece of poo poo both on and off the field.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Popete posted:

It all gets back to the same poo poo we hate about sports in this capitalist hellscape. The Dodgers presume that more fans are aware of and angry about the cheating than were aware of and cared about Bauer’s despicable behavior. The moral calculus never even enters their conversations & processes, it is purely about dollars and whether they think a critical mass of fans will be pissed off over a given signing.

That Bauer’s bigotry and harassment of women is a far more serious transgression is immaterial to this FO. And that sucks rear end!

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Dodgers already have cheating Mookie from the cheating Red Sox, so there shouldn't be any issue getting cheating Carlos from the cheating Astros, too

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/PeteAbe/status/1600761292528111616

"Well I'd say my greatest weakness is hitting too well" *GMs in stunned silence*

Oh and this is, in fact, the longest contract ever signed by a guy aged 30+

zoux fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Dec 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Remember when Trevor Bauer lost two World Series games to the Cubs? :allears:

In his defense, he had just sliced his hand open playing with a toy like an idiot.