Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

a story? like parents read to babies at bedtime? you want the movie to tuck you in too?

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Mad God rules

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

trailer for the new brandon (son of david) cronenberg

his last movie Possessor was just decent imo, but showed promise..... good cast on this next one

https://twitter.com/neonrated/status/1600867801970810880

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

let’s go Brandon!

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

My partner saw EO and Close at AFI fest and raved about them

I saw Pacification there which was bad. but it was a doctor strangelove-esque tale about france restarting their nuclear program in Tahiti so that's cool

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

trailer for the new brandon (son of david) cronenberg

his last movie Possessor was just decent imo, but showed promise..... good cast on this next one

https://twitter.com/neonrated/status/1600867801970810880

The elder Cronenberg didn't really break out until his 40s I suppose, so I'll give him another shot

I actually did like Antiviral but it felt comparatively timid to David's stuff

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Antiviral was just okay but Possessor whipped rear end

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

trailer for andrew callaghan's (channel 5) new jan 6 doc for hbo out 12/30

https://twitter.com/HBO/status/1600913103666806784
hell yeah

love that Dark Souls NPC at the end

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Knight posted:

Here's a list of the best movies of the year that everyone can agree on

Everyone can feel comforted that they recognize these movies without risking alienation and stoking insecurities

I only saw 3 of these, one which I would say was actually good, and have no plans to see the others

Only one of these I saw was The Batman which wasn't good but at least it tried doing something different than being an MCU clone and had some redeeming qualities

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

do you think top 10 lists must always be made of things popular enough (i.e. commercial enough) you've at least heard of them

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Knight posted:

Here's a list of the best movies of the year that everyone can agree on

Everyone can feel comforted that they recognize these movies without risking alienation and stoking insecurities

I only saw 3 of these, one which I would say was actually good, and have no plans to see the others

of these I have seen: Dr. Strange (sucked), The Batman (sucked), and Sonic 2 (i was benzo'd out on a plane and actually really enjoyed it)

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Filthy Hans posted:

Only one of these I saw was The Batman which wasn't good but at least it tried doing something different than being an MCU clone and had some redeeming qualities

idk it copied the villain being right but then doing something super terrible for ??? reasons

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

RandolphCarter posted:

idk it copied the villain being right but then doing something super terrible for ??? reasons

fair enough, but it wasn't full of banal quips and actually gave the characters time to do things that weren't banter or punching, the retro style of the Batman's tech and his musclecar Batmobile were a break from the usual magical tech bullshit, there were elements of detective procedurals in it

it didn't come together but there was an effort to do something a bit different

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

It also had a big "Not All Cops" thing going on which was extremely dumb

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

McCloud posted:

It also had a big "Not All Cops" thing going on which was extremely dumb

the new Batman movie sucked rear end but i can't even picture a batman movie not having this, Commissioner Gordon is "Not All Cops: the character"

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

trailer for andrew callaghan's (channel 5) new jan 6 doc for hbo out 12/30

https://twitter.com/HBO/status/1600913103666806784

glad to see him putting something out, he got done dirty.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

the new Batman movie sucked rear end but i can't even picture a batman movie not having this, Commissioner Gordon is "Not All Cops: the character"

Nolan and Snyder managed :colbert:

You're right though, Gordon is The One Good Cop, I still felt they took it further than they needed to, especially in todays atmosphere

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

McCloud posted:

Nolan and Snyder managed :colbert:

lol Nolan absolutely did not, his last one ended with a triumphant Army of Cops saving the day

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

lol Nolan absolutely did not, his last one ended with a triumphant Army of Cops saving the day

I was thinking of Gordon lol, oops. To be fair though, it was an army of cops after they'd gone through their own proverbial lazarus dunk, reborn into something better, cleansed of their corruption and sins

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

The antagonist even had a weird accent from gargling police cum all day smh

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

drat horror queefs posted:

The antagonist even had a weird accent from gargling police cum all day smh

user name post combo

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

What were the cops in Dark Knight Rises eating when they were stuck in a hole for six months or whatever

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

McCloud posted:

I was thinking of Gordon lol, oops. To be fair though, it was an army of cops after they'd gone through their own proverbial lazarus dunk, reborn into something better, cleansed of their corruption and sins

right, that's called Police ReformTM

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

The last Batman movie had a lot of interesting individual pieces, but all they managed to add up to was a Batman movie, and if you're a Batman movie and you aren't Batman Returns then get the gently caress out of my face.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I think you could probably make a case for The Dark Knight as the most anti-Cop Batman movie, but I'd have to watch it again to really thread it all together. But the Cops never actually HELP in that movie, usually they make things worse by either playing directly into The Joker's plans OR by refusing to let Batman help

e: this isn't to say that The Dark Knight isn't ultimately a reactionary movie, which all Batman movies are

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

I think you could probably make a case for The Dark Knight as the most anti-Cop Batman movie, but I'd have to watch it again to really thread it all together. But the Cops never actually HELP in that movie, usually they make things worse by either playing directly into The Joker's plans OR by refusing to let Batman help

e: this isn't to say that The Dark Knight isn't ultimately a reactionary movie, which all Batman movies are

Nolan's movies go heaviest on depicting police corruption, but they all lean super heavy on the "it's just a few bad apples!" thing.

but The Dark Knight also features the most cops being murdered of any Batman movie so who's to say if it's good or bad

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

The Dark Knight doesn't count because it's a Joker movie with Batman in it.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello

loquacius posted:

What were the cops in Dark Knight Rises eating when they were stuck in a hole for six months or whatever

Cum, bro. It was cum

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

loquacius posted:

I think Bane kept dropping them food so he could use them as hostage/leverage, but my memory is a bit hazy on that topic

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

right, that's called Police ReformTM

I mean, that's about the most radical you'll get with Nolan, he strikes me as a Blairite or center right kind of person, but I'll take that over "just a few bad apples"

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

McCloud posted:

I mean, that's about the most radical you'll get with Nolan, he strikes me as a Blairite or center right kind of person, but I'll take that over "just a few bad apples"

it's the same thing

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
Should have called it The Alt Right Rises amirite folks

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

dark knight rises was the funniest poo poo i'd ever seen. you could feel nolan losing his mind in real time in response to the tepid protest sentiments of the early 2010s like "perhaps society should improve somewhat"

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

they'll keep making MCU garbage until the extinction of the human race but we'll never get a third season of The Tick :smith:

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

it's the same thing

Except in Rises case he actually meant it and not as a smokescreen to maintain a shoddy system. The bad cops like Gordon (and even Batman) are pretty explicitly told they're wrong for acting the way they did by the newer idealistic cop

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

McCloud posted:

Except in Rises case he actually meant it and not as a smokescreen to maintain a shoddy system. The bad cops like Gordon (and even Batman) are pretty explicitly told they're wrong for acting the way they did by the newer idealistic cop

who then becomes Batman.

it's the same thing

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
what's the political significance of the CIA character's portrayal

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

YaketySass posted:

what's the political significance of the CIA character's portrayal

In the 2nd black panther the cia character commits treason to warn wakanda of the usa's ill intentions.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

wow, a cia agent choosing to advance the agency's goals in direct opposition to us government policy? sounds like a pretty radical critique!

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

loquacius posted:

I wonder, stuck in a pit full of apples and pigs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

possessor ruled