Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I dealt with a barn door on an actual barn when I was growing up. Admittedly, it was outdoors and weighed a million billion tons, but drat, that thing was hard to move. Putting pressure on something and shoving it sideways is harder than pushing or pulling a knob.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

What if we took all the doors off your closet and made the shelves open? Wouldnt that be great?! Nothing better than dusty clothes!

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
The last place we rented the only bathroom was also the hallway to the master bedroom. When we bought it was a hard requirement not to have anything that stupid in the layout and I'm so happy that none of my bathrooms are also hallways now.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Upgrade posted:

What if we took all the doors off your closet and made the shelves open? Wouldnt that be great?! Nothing better than dusty clothes!

The first thing I think of when I see open shelves is everything dusty all the time. Unless you are constantly using and cleaning exactly the number of dishes you have, a ton of stuff is gonna just collect massive amounts of dust. My place is very low on dust levels and I still gotta work to keep stuff clean.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
If you were to set aesthetics completely aside (I think hardwood looks better, I feel like most people agree), is (high quality, well installed) LVP less functional over time vs hardwood? It seems like there has to be a big difference in lifespan because even really good LVP is gonna be way way cheaper than hardwood. Are there other benefits?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Upgrade posted:

Dusty Clothes is my drag name.

Magicaljesus posted:

Misplaced barn doors are still hot with flippers.

Oh look, a barn door. That goes into the pantry or a closet, right? Nope, I can see the outline of the toilet through the gaps around the improperly-sized barn door.

When I met the neighbors about a month after they moved in I smiled and nodded my way through hearing their plans to add barn doors to the bathroom and some closets. And they plan to stay for a while!

I'm super excited to add a solid (MDF) door to my master bath, the feel of it alone is a huge draw. The hollow door that was put in before we moved in is surprisingly in good shape though for never having been painted and being adjacent to a shower. I'd really have expected more water damage by now.

Also I have to say this every time I mention painting a door as a reminder: paint all six sides! It drives me nuts to find one where the top or bottom hasn't been painted.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

marchantia posted:

If you were to set aesthetics completely aside (I think hardwood looks better, I feel like most people agree), is (high quality, well installed) LVP less functional over time vs hardwood? It seems like there has to be a big difference in lifespan because even really good LVP is gonna be way way cheaper than hardwood. Are there other benefits?

I have 112 year old wood flooded in my house. I don’t think any home is gonna have 112 year old LVP.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Upgrade posted:

I have 112 year old wood flooded in my house. I don’t think any home is gonna have 112 year old LVP.

Bummer, were you able to dry it out?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
We bought our house a year and a half ago. The washer that was here is an LG ventless washer dryer combo. It sucks rear end.

Convenient for washing and drying without having to change loads but it takes forever (several hours per load), shakes the house, and the loads are really small. The filter is not very effective so it burns through drain pumps every year. They're cheap ($30) but loving annoying to have to replace every year. All the pump motors are made the same and I've never seen an improved/upgraded version. The motor is fully functional but the plastic propeller strips out and stops spinning.

I might just epoxy the poo poo out of it when the next one comes so that this propeller doesn't come loose.

I hate it and want to replace it but our house doesn't have many options for full size machines without finding somewhere else for them to go, plumbing the new location, running power, stacking them. It's a small 1100sq ft house (3b2ba) so there's not really any extra space.

POs converted a half bath where the hot water heater and laundry used to exist into a second full bath. They relocated the hot water heater to the garage. The leftover space in the bathroom, they walled off and made a hall closet and put this little combo washer dryer in there because it fits (23-3/4"wide). The closet is only 26w x 32d but the opening is only 23-3/4 wide. Full size machines won't fit. We have another closet that's slightly bigger but would need power and plumbing.

I'm a garage guy. Dirt bikes, outdoor gear, car repairs etc. I need a garage. We have single stall but it's deep. We have it well packed and organized so there's not a lot of extra space. Plus there no drain out there. I really don't want to have the laundry out there.

We thought about redoing the bathroom to become a
3/4 bath with a standup shower so that we can fit full size machines again. Our other bath has a tub so it will still provide the same usage. I can't imagine resale value will really drop much if we go from 2ba to 1-3/4 bath to accommodate a better laundry system.

I hate previous owners decisions.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Verman posted:

We bought our house a year and a half ago. The washer that was here is an LG ventless washer dryer combo. shakes the house,
I hate previous owners decisions.

We have basically the same unit. Looks identical at least

Did you level out your unit. Or at least base it on concrete blocks

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I leveled it, added some bracing between the joists in the crawlspace, put it on top of a 3/4" rubber horse mat which helped a lot. Some people suggested adding a little extra lift to the front but that made zero difference. It just spins so fast that if anything is even remotely unbalanced it shakes the walls. It was already here so I'm not sure if the springs/shocks are worn out but the vibration is the least of my issues. I just want it to not go through pumps constantly.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

After 8 years of no issues the drain pump on our LG washer just died. Was contemplating if I should go about fixing it myself but I also always read that working on washers/dryers is a nightmare.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

The Dave posted:

After 8 years of no issues the drain pump on our LG washer just died. Was contemplating if I should go about fixing it myself but I also always read that working on washers/dryers is a nightmare.

I'm sure there is a YT video showing exactly how to do it. If it's in otherwise good condition it's worth fixing. If it needs a bunch of other stuff it might be more cost effective/less hassle to replace. With an 8 year old machine if I was going to go through the hassle of opening it up, I'd check the springs and shock absorbers and inspect the gaskets and hoses and just replace anything that looked like it could use replacing while I was in there.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

The Dave posted:

Check out RepairClinic.com, they sell parts but also have really great resources for diagnosis issues as well as step by step videos of how to install replacement parts. Sometimes much better than Youtube.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

The Dave posted:

Its not difficult and pumps are usually cheap ($25-50). Its likely the same as mine, removing the front panel, disconnecting a wire harness or two leads and unscrewing three screws. The hardest part is one of the screws is in a blind location, on the backside of the pump that I had to use a mirror to see in order to fasten it back on. Its going to depend on where it is in your machine and how much access you have to it. Mine is conveniently located in the front and the panel comes off easily. If your drain pump is dead, you might want to flush the drain hose with water to ensure its not clogged with anything.

I would put money on traditional washing machines lasting longer because they don't have the same lint issues as with a combo unit that also dries. The combo units produce lint when they dry and there's no dry lint trap for it to collect. Instead it gets drained with the water and it goes through the pump and out the drain tube. There's a very simple plastic filter which is mostly designed to catch large items (coins, big balls of lint/hair etc) but lots of stuff passes right through it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That looks like they reused the exact same filter assembly that my washer-only LG has.

Having recently had my washer torn apart, if I was going through drain pumps that often I'd already have sawzalled the front panel so that you can just get straight at the pump by the third replacement.

In case anyone else runs across it, I was getting the OE error which 99% of the time screams "drain pump", but my pump was good and the impeller is still fully engaged with the motor. I replaced the drain hose as it had some filth built up in it I couldn't clean out, but I suspect the root cause was actually a blockage in the air hose that runs up to the water level sensor, since it seems my actual fault was incorrect/improper water level sensor readings that were somehow still within the expected range to not trigger FE instead.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Has anyone successfully kept stray / outdoor cats out of their yard? What tips do you have?

There are 2 stray cats from a nearby farm and my neighbor's outdoor cat that love to use my yard as a litter box. I took our bird feeders down this summer, as the cats had successfully caught 2 birds in a week, and it was cruel to the birds to keep the feeders up. I figured that's why the cats kept coming, but even with the feeders down, the cats are still here. I find new piles of crap every week at this point.

I make sure to clean the piles up as soon as I see them, and I've tried a few different sprays to get rid of the scent and to discourage them from coming back. But nothing seems to work.

Outside of capturing them and bringing to a shelter (where they'll likely be killed), any solutions from you all?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Verman posted:

POs converted a half bath where the hot water heater and laundry used to exist into a second full bath. They relocated the hot water heater to the garage. The leftover space in the bathroom, they walled off and made a hall closet and put this little combo washer dryer in there because it fits (23-3/4"wide). The closet is only 26w x 32d but the opening is only 23-3/4 wide. Full size machines won't fit. We have another closet that's slightly bigger but would need power and plumbing.

There are slim washers and dryers that are stackable, is that an option?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
The slimmest washer/dryers I've seen are 24" wide. I have a similar issue where I have the space for them in a closet but my doorway is also 23-1/2".

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Good-Natured Filth posted:

Has anyone successfully kept stray / outdoor cats out of their yard? What tips do you have?

There are 2 stray cats from a nearby farm and my neighbor's outdoor cat that love to use my yard as a litter box. I took our bird feeders down this summer, as the cats had successfully caught 2 birds in a week, and it was cruel to the birds to keep the feeders up. I figured that's why the cats kept coming, but even with the feeders down, the cats are still here. I find new piles of crap every week at this point.

I make sure to clean the piles up as soon as I see them, and I've tried a few different sprays to get rid of the scent and to discourage them from coming back. But nothing seems to work.

Outside of capturing them and bringing to a shelter (where they'll likely be killed), any solutions from you all?

Buy 50 lbs of cayenne pepper and use a fertilizer spreader to coat the cat bathroom in it

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

SpartanIvy posted:

The slimmest washer/dryers I've seen are 24" wide. I have a similar issue where I have the space for them in a closet but my doorway is also 23-1/2".

Take off the door and remove the side jambs from the frame?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Muir posted:

Take off the door and remove the side jambs from the frame?

That's a good idea but also my closet has a 90' turn the washer/dryer would have to make and that further complications it. I built a dimensionally accurate box to try it out with and my takeaways from that experiment are that I can either make the doorway wider (from 23.5" to ~28") or put another 24" door in at the other end of the closet so a washer dryer could be pushed straight back into it. Then I'd need to cover up the big hole in the wall I just made, and it seems like a good place to put in a Murphy door hidden bookshelf.

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Dec 8, 2022

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Vim Fuego posted:

Buy 50 lbs of cayenne pepper and use a fertilizer spreader to coat the cat bathroom in it

Correct answer

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Wife and I are remodeling our upstairs bathroom. Nothing crazy, but were putting all new wall tile where the tub is, new floor tiling, a custom made vanity, heated floors... We did a pretty big overhaul of the house which took a month of work daily (removed popcorn ceiling, re-texture ceiling, carpet, painted the entire interior, sheet rocked the garage/painted garage, new recessed light fixtures).

The old owners had thrown down tile on top of laminate flooring and trying to remove a small bathrooms worth of tile on top of laminate on top of particle board is the most infuriating/annoying thing that I have done to this house. I'd rather scrape popcorn off the ceiling for a year than trying to get all this poo poo off the floor.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

marchantia posted:

A lot of people are concerned about plastics / off-gassing / VOCs. Some LVP is better about that than others, but if you're going to pay extra for a better quality floor you probably weren't interested in LVP in the first place.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I had an interesting conversation about LVT yesterday with my contractor coworker. Probably a lot of te reason it seems so lovely is people opting for ones with a thin wear layer. It's never going to be as good as hardwood or even engineered hardwood, something thick with a 20mil wear layer will last and look good for the right application.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

StormDrain posted:

I had an interesting conversation about LVT yesterday with my contractor coworker. Probably a lot of te reason it seems so lovely is people opting for ones with a thin wear layer. It's never going to be as good as hardwood or even engineered hardwood, something thick with a 20mil wear layer will last and look good for the right application.

The LifeProof stuff from Home Depot was good a few years back. Might still be. Wears very well, they had some decent patterns, it went down nice and easy and it wasn't terribly expensive.

I think it's a great solution for the right place. But it's always a budget solution compared to hardwood, tile or terrazzo. It's basically a step up from tan rental apartment carpet or sheet vinyl.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Motronic posted:

The LifeProof stuff from Home Depot was good a few years back. Might still be. Wears very well, they had some decent patterns, it went down nice and easy and it wasn't terribly expensive.

I think it's a great solution for the right place. But it's always a budget solution compared to hardwood, tile or terrazzo. It's basically a step up from tan rental apartment carpet or sheet vinyl.

Living in the mountain west... The only places I see terrazzo are very nice public spaces like the County courthouse, the airport, and the mall, historical buildings, and a group of ORs on a project I was on. We don't have many contractors to install it, so I'd file that under the most luxurious flooring you could put in a home for this region.

I've never been to anyone's house nice enough to have terrazzo here. I haven't been to a lot of nice houses here though.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
The house I grew up in had terrazzo floors and after my folks croaked a flipper covered it all over with lovely tile installed improperly so the tiles were all cracked the next time the house was up for sale.

Magicaljesus
Oct 18, 2006

Have you ever done this trick before?

Motronic posted:

The LifeProof stuff from Home Depot...

This is what I put down in my kitchen before I sold, replacing an ancient and aesthetically displeasing vinyl. Lifeproof was dirt cheap and seemed to be very durable/high wear. It did look like a budget floor, though, so know your application. It also smelled like a chemical spill for a few weeks, but it's supposedly low VOC and should be fine after the scent dissipates. Installation is very straightforward, but got a bit challenging around non-squared 40s-home corners and walls. I'd still recommend hiring a professional to install.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Magicaljesus posted:

It also smelled like a chemical spill for a few weeks

Oh yeah, it's very piquant for a while. I put it down for a few people and did a bathroom in my mom's house - still holding up well.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Tristesse posted:

The house I grew up in had terrazzo floors and after my folks croaked a flipper covered it all over with lovely tile installed improperly so the tiles were all cracked the next time the house was up for sale.

I rented a place like this and it sucked so bad. One of our rooms was a nursery and it was covered--from day one--in wall-to-wall 2" thick foam and somehow the spanish terracotta tiles underneath still loving cracked. Luckily the property mgmt company let me use my security deposit as last month's rent due to the pandemic so I didn't get dinged for any of it.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

StormDrain posted:

Living in the mountain west... The only places I see terrazzo are very nice public spaces like the County courthouse, the airport, and the mall, historical buildings, and a group of ORs on a project I was on. We don't have many contractors to install it, so I'd file that under the most luxurious flooring you could put in a home for this region.

I've never been to anyone's house nice enough to have terrazzo here. I haven't been to a lot of nice houses here though.

This is funny to me because my buddy moved in to a lower income housing apartment which has a common stairwell in terrazzo

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Going to be redoing a bathroom soon and I'd love to put in terrazzo floors but it is likely way out of my budget and I can't really find any local installers (I'll admit I haven't spent much time researching this). However it seems that terrazzo tile is a thing, which is cool: https://wausautile.com/Products/Terrazzo-Tile.cfm

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Dec 9, 2022

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Finally, as wind is picking up here, got rid of the 2 massive dead trees (more than 3 stories tall) on our property, the ones threatening the neighbour's house. The guy said yesterday 'cash or check is fine'. Today he was like 'it's gotta be cash' and learned that both of my cash cards are expired. I think I can only draw like 400 bucks anyway? Like what was he expecting.

"it's because your bank is out of state and won't clear immediately". Ok well maybe mention that in advance. I offered to paypal or venmo: "but those have about a 220 transaction fee on the 2200!" (it was 2300, he forgot 100 of it). I offered to split that. " ok but you see I need to create a new account, I can't find my old one, my grandson does that". Ok well sorry bro. I said I have a bit of cash but was going to use that to tip his guys. In the end I tipped them and wrote him a check "I suppose I'll just have to not pay them today". Like yeah, most people accept cards. if you run a business where you pay your workers on the day, you should keep enough money in the bank to maybe pay people on the day, or let your customers know in advance that you only accept cash. 2300 is a lot of money to expect in cash.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Don't hire people without insurance to do tree work near your house.

As a bonus, you'll never have to deal with poo poo like that either.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Well, nothing went wrong, but the last time I asked someone 'are you bonded/insured', he said 'yes' but I have no way of knowing if he was or not. How do you actually check? I saw him on angie's list which I thought meant he was legit.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

redreader posted:

Well, nothing went wrong, but the last time I asked someone 'are you bonded/insured', he said 'yes' but I have no way of knowing if he was or not. How do you actually check? I saw him on angie's list which I thought meant he was legit.

In America the state issue contractor licenses. Each business should be attached to a particular contractor license number. You can get on the appropriate state agency website and search for that specific business entity, person, & license number. Make sure they all exist, all match, and look to see if they have a bond, and look to see if there have been any claims made against it.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

redreader posted:

Ask for a certificate of insurance. If you're extra paranoid, call the companies listed and verify the policy info matches what's on the certificate.

Of course, don't call the number on the certificate. Google the insurance company name and call the number on the website. If they're going to forge a COI, they're going to put their buddy's number on it.

No legit contractor will refuse to provide a COI. They should be happy to provide it, and it shouldn't take more than a day or 3. If they dance around it on any way, shape, or form, tell them to gently caress off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Vim Fuego posted:

In America the state issue contractor licenses. Each business should be attached to a particular contractor license number. You can get on the appropriate state agency website and search for that specific business entity, person, & license number. Make sure they all exist, all match, and look to see if they have a bond, and look to see if there have been any claims made against it.

This is not even remotely universal in the US.

In a municipality that does not have the concept of contractor registration where they verify minimum liability insurance, etc the correct answer is above.